Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL at all the chumps in this thread ROLL-playing when they should be ROLE-playing.

Bro, do you even Rule Zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Who in the big black blazes of the cosmos thought a good idea for naming your botch roll to be after a wad of chewing tobacco was a good idea. And I looked. I don't see any other use for the word chaw outside of tobacco. Just say Skulls are good and Crossbones are bad, sure it's a little piratey but who gives a gently caress.

"You can't break down the door, you feel the juice running out and you have to pack a lip instead."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

...okay, so you're rolling a pool of d6s, and 5s and 6s don't count, so...god, the statistical likelihood of success seems stupidly low here.

Yeah, once you realize the layout of the dice is effectively 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... even before you factor in chaws... you start to wonder how this made it to print. Like, the average roll on a die ends up being, what? 1.7, maybe?

This is why I warned people away from that cultist game that used the same system. It's bizarre anybody could look at this and say "This is fine."

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If you roll a 5, you get a "chaw" which goes into a pool. If you roll a 6, you get a "brainz". Every time you get a chaw, it cancels out a boost unless you use a brainz on it. Even if you use a brainz on it, though, the chaw still goes into the pool - it just no longer cancels the boost. Note that brainz have no direct use to improve rolls - all they can do is prevent chaw from cancelling boosts.

Wow... that is an amazing paragraph.

If I was writing a parody RPG system, I can't imagine better words to use than "chaw" and "brainz". That's like the "Put it in H" of dice system comedy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

To be fair, this is about the level of majestic wretchedness that the I Am Zombie fluff deserves.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wow yeah this is what they were advertising Hagen's take on Cthulhu to be powered by huh. If you roll a 5, that's a Horrible Revelation and it causes a failure! You need to roll a 6 to gain a Racizt Metaphor or use one in storage to counteract the HR!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

jmzero posted:

Wow... that is an amazing paragraph.

If I was writing a parody RPG system, I can't imagine better words to use than "chaw" and "brainz". That's like the "Put it in H" of dice system comedy.

chronks

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh nice, Root hit all its stretch goals and is now a six-player game. 20 hours left !

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I really like the art for Capharnaum, cause I love me some Arabian Nights. Hopefully it's good.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Anyone backing the Folklore reprint? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-affliction-2nd-printing

I want to because it seems like a pretty heavy dungeon crawl / RPG like game, and because the minis seem to be good value. I think all of the addons are not worth it though (beyond the $150 pledge level)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Anyone backing the Folklore reprint? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-affliction-2nd-printing

I want to because it seems like a pretty heavy dungeon crawl / RPG like game, and because the minis seem to be good value. I think all of the addons are not worth it though (beyond the $150 pledge level)

I hadn't heard of it but clicking through...I dunno. My feeling is that just a little bit more money would get you Gloomhaven, which checks most of the boxes that game appears to be trying for (minus the gothic flavor of the setting, so if that's crucial to the appeal, fair enough) but does so without dice, with a much more original and tactically robust combat system, and with more character options and substantially more character asymmetry, and it looks like around 3-4x as many scenarios not including the random dungeon generation system that Gloomhaven also offers.

I'm sure they don't scratch precisely the same itches, but there's enough overlap that I don't think I'm in the market for Folklore while I still have probably half or more of Gloomhaven's campaign to play through. (And that after 9 months with the game.)

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I have gloomhaven and actually its KS was cheaper ($100 USD, including shipping, leaving ridiculous amounts of money on the table).

Your analysis sounds pretty good... but I am willing to pay for 'different'. And I do like dice rolling, and more minis to add to my RPG minis collection anyway...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vehementi posted:

I have gloomhaven and actually its KS was cheaper ($100 USD, including shipping, leaving ridiculous amounts of money on the table).

Your analysis sounds pretty good... but I am willing to pay for 'different'. And I do like dice rolling, and more minis to add to my RPG minis collection anyway...

Oh, I paid $64 for my copy. But I'm talking what you'd pay going forward, since both Kickstarters for it are water under the bridge now. And I'm willing to pay for different, but to me the differences are mostly directly unfavorable and the theme isn't really a big enough departure to justify putting money down on it while its direct competition is still hitting the table. If I were done with Gloomhaven, which, since there's been talk of an expansion, may never happen, then sure, Folklore would be real tempting.

Of course, personally I don't like dice or minis, I just like a style of game that always seems to get saddled with them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Was just checking in on a few Kickstarters from ancient times that never delivered ( which has been surprisingly few, honestly) and boy people are mad about City State of the Invincible Overlord from Judge's Guild as well as Mekton Zero. The Judge's Guild thing is the most interesting to me because apparently the thing now is that the whole thing is a Bob III project and not Judges Guild at all (after the son spent all the money on personal things the father walked away). So even though they say they only have 40 pages of lay out left this will never see the light of day and people are now looking into getting lawyers involved.

I agree that Mekton Zero is probably dead because Pondsmith is working on the Cyberpunk 2077 game from CDProjekt Red.

Once your Kickstarter is a few years late, it really would be nice to see a rough WIP PDF version or a few screenshots of the book in the layout software or anything. Any proof that any work whatsoever has happened seems like a bare minimum after well passing your completion date goal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man Judges Guild is still based in Decatur IL? Wow.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Apparently Mekton Zero is still posting updates, which is better than going dark I guess?

Henker
May 5, 2009

Vehementi posted:

I'm backing it at the $60 level (which comes with standees instead of minis) right now, on the fence about going to a higher tier. The minis are cool I don't think they're necessary. Since someone else in this thread is comparing it to Gloomhaven - from what I've heard Gloomhaven does combat better (if you hate dice-rolling) but Folklore does storytelling and worldbuilding better. I feel like this game is going more for "RPG campaign in a box" instead of a combat-oriented dungeon crawler.

For me the big seller is the gothic theme; I love gothic horror and it's my favorite genre by an order of magnitude. Honestly I'm turned off by Gloomhaven's "generic fantasy but with weird crystal-headed guys to mix things up" theme.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Henker posted:

I'm backing it at the $60 level (which comes with standees instead of minis) right now, on the fence about going to a higher tier. The minis are cool I don't think they're necessary. Since someone else in this thread is comparing it to Gloomhaven - from what I've heard Gloomhaven does combat better (if you hate dice-rolling) but Folklore does storytelling and worldbuilding better. I feel like this game is going more for "RPG campaign in a box" instead of a combat-oriented dungeon crawler.

For me the big seller is the gothic theme; I love gothic horror and it's my favorite genre by an order of magnitude. Honestly I'm turned off by Gloomhaven's "generic fantasy but with weird crystal-headed guys to mix things up" theme.

This is pretty much my take on Folklore. I'm interested and if I had more money to throw around now I would probably back it and still might, but I doubt it'd get played since Gloomhaven (finally) and an RPG campaign are about to start for me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Henker posted:

I mean I wouldn't describe Gloomhaven as generic fantasy, but to each their own. I didn't see any evidence from that page that Folklore was doing anything Gloomhaven doesn't in terms of storytelling or worldbuilding - it also has narrative event cards with binary choices, narrative context for every campaign scenario (which IMO is quite well written), and periodic points where your choice of scenario leads to significantly different outcomes and some branching scenario paths. But I haven't played Folklore or done a deep dive so it's possible I'm missing something.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Just got my copy of Pigsmoke in the mail. Haven't had time to read through anything but the opening chapter, but what I've seen looks great so far. Congrats to potatocubed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vehementi posted:

That shipping cannot have been cheap, either.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

bbcisdabomb posted:

Just got my copy of Pigsmoke in the mail. Haven't had time to read through anything but the opening chapter, but what I've seen looks great so far. Congrats to potatocubed!

Ta!

It's so close to finished, but I've still got the last seven copies to send out. The School Spirit tier was grossly undercosted. :sweatdrop:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

potatocubed posted:

Ta!

It's so close to finished, but I've still got the last seven copies to send out. The School Spirit tier was grossly undercosted. :sweatdrop:

Chalk it up to learning experience, I hope it didn't sour you on kickstarter! My Pod copy hasn't quite gotten here yet, looking forward to it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, here's how it works. Or... doesn't work, as you like.

You're rolling about 3d6 to 8d6 (most likely more like 3d6 to 6d6, figuring out what you roll is a whole other layer of fuckery). If you roll 1-4, you take that number and add it to your total. You're trying to get "boosts", which are basically successes in Storyteller parlance. If you roll a 5, you get a "chaw" which goes into a pool. If you roll a 6, you get a "brainz". Every time you get a chaw, it cancels out a boost unless you use a brainz on it. Even if you use a brainz on it, though, the chaw still goes into the pool - it just no longer cancels the boost. Note that brainz have no direct use to improve rolls - all they can do is prevent chaw from cancelling boosts.

If you're trying to make a "standard roll" - which are intended to be rolls done when you're not in the middle of a conflict or other dramatic scene - you're just rolling against a difficulty ("rigor") of 10. Exceeding a 10 gets you a boost. Standard rolls are pass/fail, so if something causes you to lose that boost, like a chaw... well, you don't get any more boosts, even if you rolled far in excess of 10.

So any time you roll a 5 on a simple roll and don't have brainz rolled or stored to cover it, you fail.

In addition, there are "complex rolls" during more dramatic actions where you're trying to beat a rigor between 2 and 12 (usually 5). Every time any combination of dice can be combined to exceed the rigor, you get a boost. So, if the rigor is 2 and I roll a 4, 1, and 1, I can only get two boosts, assigning the 4 to one boost and the 1 and 1 to a second boost. You can still get chaw and brainz as usual, and chaw still cancels boosts. But now, for every 5 chaw on the board, we now get a "hazard" (maxing out at 4). On complex rolls, any single die that rolls equal to or under the hazard becomes a "hazard die" and inflicts a wound or other GM fuckery like getting disarmed or falling over or whatever. You still get to use hazard dice on your roll, but some poo poo happens.

So the more dice you have when making either type of roll, and the more rolls you make, the more chaw will accumulate, and the more likely you are to take the consequences of hazard dice on complex rolls.

Chaw goes away at the end of scene, brainz at the end of session.

And trust me, trying to figure this out is a real headache with this kind of eye-assaulting layout:

:pwn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfXfOCIIFcY

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

That shipping cannot have been cheap, either.

I was in the original kickstarter, and picked up the mini-free version. $64 Gloomhaven I've had since February or whenever has been pretty nice.

It was such a ridiculous deal I felt I had to back that Founders project of his.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravendas posted:

It was such a ridiculous deal I felt I had to back that Founders project of his.

Link please yes.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Link please yes.

Ended a few months back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I almost have to forget Gloomhaven exists or I find myself asking "Okay for $100 with gloomhaven I got 200 hours (and counting) of top tier gameplay, let's see what Conan offers for $150..."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vehementi posted:

I almost have to forget Gloomhaven exists or I find myself asking "Okay for $100 with gloomhaven I got 200 hours (and counting) of top tier gameplay, let's see what Conan offers for $150..."

I mean, you we should probably be doing this anyways :v:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Wait, is there another Conan Kickstarter? I haven't finished painting everything from the last one yet. :(

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Was just checking in on a few Kickstarters from ancient times that never delivered ( which has been surprisingly few, honestly) and boy people are mad about City State of the Invincible Overlord from Judge's Guild as well as Mekton Zero. The Judge's Guild thing is the most interesting to me because apparently the thing now is that the whole thing is a Bob III project and not Judges Guild at all (after the son spent all the money on personal things the father walked away). So even though they say they only have 40 pages of lay out left this will never see the light of day and people are now looking into getting lawyers involved.

I'm pretty lucky, I guess, because this is my only big Kickstarter failure. Sure, there have been things I've been disappointed about once I got them, and there are still a few wayward things rattling around that may never be finished (anyone else back Guide to the Village by the Sea?), but this is one of my two big pledges -- I added on for all the maps, so it was what, $125? I always wanted to buy CSIO when I was a kid but never had the money to do it.

My other big-pledge Kickstarter was Chuubo's, which went wrong for different reasons. I have a PDF of the third book, but I really wish she'd finish the cover and release it for POD. I'd like to have the actual book to go with the other two, even if I gotta pay for it myself.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The only Kickstarter I got burned on was Doobie's Doghouse. :(

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Wait, is there another Conan Kickstarter? I haven't finished painting everything from the last one yet. :(

there was, but it was just a book that compiled 20 scenarios that are free on their website, and some character fluff

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Deck of Legends is still the only one that went balls-up for me, so far.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rydiafan posted:

Actually, it has yielded the best ROI on comedy out of any kickstarter I’ve seen. It keeps a steady output to this day!

Thank you for your contribution.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rydiafan posted:

I'm still waiting on Jon Shafer's At the Gates

I also backed the Numenera video game before I got into the TRPG hobby, and since then I've lost so much interest in it that I never even redeemed the game code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still waiting on Jon Shafer's At the Gates

He left Paradox and is apparently going to work on it again!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I also backed the Numenera video game before I got into the TRPG hobby, and since then I've lost so much interest in it that I never even redeemed the game code.

FWIW I think it's pretty good. Probably worth a quick go if you're at a loose end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I only got dinged for the Up Front! WWII card game. Even Cairn and Alas Vegas finally got published.