Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DICK DICER posted:

Yeah, place is called the Overlook Hotel, and there's the potential opportunity to stay as a winter groundskeeper as well. I could finally start all that writing everyone tells me to do, sounds like the perfect gig

Noice. . . .

Keep all the axes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just saying but if you're gonna be spending the season down there you might wanna invest in some shorts. Also any kind of t shirt and underwear with dri-fit material that wicks sweat is the poo poo, cotton sucks for Florida because it just turns into a sweat soaked rag.

Tractor Supply almost always has work clothes on sale for dirt cheap, including some of the sweat wicking t-shirts. It looks like the closest one is about 80 miles from Homestead though :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

DICK DICER posted:

I mean if you guys really want to, yeah PM me. I've been keeping the direct links out of here to avoid any impressions of obligated guilt but if even on top of my incoming windfall you still want to, kick me a PM

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

I mean your amazon wishlist.

PM me or whaterever

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hey, If you are going for new boots get the Docs with the lifetime warranty. Still English made and when they wear out you get a new or repaired pair.
http://www.drmartens.com/us/p/originals-boots-smooth-hardlife-1460-forlife

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Applesnots posted:

Hey, If you are going for new boots get the Docs with the lifetime warranty. Still English made and when they wear out you get a new or repaired pair.

$230 for the boots, and then you get to pay $25 plus shipping to send them in for replacement, which you get to wait 6 weeks for. Seems kinda crappy to me but I guess if you keep wearing them for the rest of your life it would be cost effective eventually. That must be why they call them 'For life' :shobon:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Applesnots posted:

I think the For Life ones are made in SE Asia, it's the "Vintage" line that are made in the UK. They are $200 and not guaranteed for life. I haven't worn either but I've handled both in DM stores and from what I remember, the UK-made ones still felt better. You could also get Solovair which are made in the UK by the company that originally made Dr. Martens.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

you are a terrible person. My stepmom once tricked me into eating vegemite by telling me it was nutella. Nothing worse than expecting delicious nutella, then being greeted by the taste of death.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think the For Life ones are made in SE Asia, it's the "Vintage" line that are made in the UK. They are $200 and not guaranteed for life. I haven't worn either but I've handled both in DM stores and from what I remember, the UK-made ones still felt better. You could also get Solovair which are made in the UK by the company that originally made Dr. Martens.

I am gonna have to look into these Solovair folks. Thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

Happy to chip in for pants or shorts or a 14' marital aid. Whatever Black Friday turns up.
Yeah, you ain't gonna get free shipping on that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Applesnots posted:

I'm a fan of Doccers and like the idea here, but they appear to charge £20/€30 per exchange and only cover 'wear', and say it can take up to 6 weeks. There is no mention of who pays shipping and I'd be worried about them being picky about their definition of wear.
I got about 5 or 6 years out of my last pair of DM boots and got them resoled twice in a local shoe shop and i'm sure it was around £30 each time and only took a couple of hours vs 6 weeks!.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
These are the boots I wear. https://www.marks.com/en/shoes/mens...vel-3&x4=brands

I get about a year and a half out of them working in the print industry before they get too torn apart to justify having them repaired. I get a free pair every 2 years, so I wear clapped out boots for six months until the allowance rolls.

What I'm saying is don't buy Timberlands.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving Marmite? Get the gently caress out of here that's sickly sweet swill.

Toast a piece of bread. Spread butter, liberally. Spread Vegemite, sparingly. It's not something to go nuts with with for beginners but it's the best hangover cure there is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Am I the only person who's quite happy with both Vegemite and Marmite?

Reminds me, that's something to add to my AISS package.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

loving Marmite? Get the gently caress out of here that's sickly sweet swill.

Toast a piece of bread. Spread butter, liberally. Spread Vegemite, sparingly. It's not something to go nuts with with for beginners but it's the best hangover cure there is.

That's the n00b mistake, treating it like peanut butter. A little bit goes a long way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Another one from the Facebook archives:

I love how within my mind exists an industrial scale foundry capable of constructing the finest of art or machines on scales so vast they defy modern science. And staffed round the clock ready to begin the latest prototype design at a moments notice.

And when the blast furnace roars into life with the fires of creation, those elemental forces care little about the fact that the assembly line crew get paid per completed unit, nor do they in turn really even bother to notice the guy in charge of sorting and packaging at the end of the line hasn't shown up for work in over a week and his car is still in the parking lot slowly accruing ticket after ticket interspersed wth the occasional aerial Jackson Pollock attempt from the local gulls.

Nobody has seen management in a few hours either, but no worries, everything is still coming out of that crucible so hopefully that means everything is just fine? Eventually the foreman comes out of his carefully hidden office in the back where no one ever goes for his scheduled random parts quality control check per the list on his official company clip board. At some point in time, the assembly line crew built strange bulbous upsettingly suggestive additions to the line equipment so it now funnels bundles of hundred dollar bills mixed with the occasional piece of some priceless unique antiquity directly into the fiery crucible of destruction no longer used for anything even close to its original purpose.

HOLY loving poo poo YOU loving IDIOTS WHAT ARE YOU DOING he yells in a voice now tinged with the hint of runaway panic.

NO FUCKIN CLUE BOSS BUT LOOK HOW FAST WE CAN GET IT DONE comes the joyful chorus in return

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tomarse posted:

I'm a fan of Doccers and like the idea here, but they appear to charge £20/€30 per exchange and only cover 'wear', and say it can take up to 6 weeks. There is no mention of who pays shipping and I'd be worried about them being picky about their definition of wear.
I got about 5 or 6 years out of my last pair of DM boots and got them resoled twice in a local shoe shop and i'm sure it was around £30 each time and only took a couple of hours vs 6 weeks!.

Yeah, that's why I wear Red Wings. I usually get 2 years out of a set of soles, and resoling locally is cheap and quick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

Well I just got offered a job at a Maine fishing resort for May-October, room and board and food and pay provided

You have a penchant for finding the locations with the worst infestations of biting insects, I'll give you that

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

nm posted:

Noice. . . .

Keep all the axes away.

Fun fact: the actor who played the barman ghost is the same guy who played Tyrell in Blade Runner

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

angryrobots posted:

You have a penchant for finding the locations with the worst infestations of biting insects, I'll give you that

also small-town conservative police departments

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Home until March I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slurry_curry posted:

you are a terrible person. My stepmom once tricked me into eating vegemite by telling me it was nutella. Nothing worse than expecting delicious nutella, then being greeted by the taste of death.

I would have Vegemite over Nutella any day

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Needs more flies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I would have Vegemite over Nutella any day

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DICK DICER posted:

Make this the year of Dick, ok? Stay there till March assuming it's not draining your finances (are they paying you, or just giving you a room?), maybe do the job in Maine after because that sounds awesome... nail those itchy feet to the floor if it'll keep you somewhere stable for a while. It's fun watching Dickventures but that $10k won't last super long without supplemental income (planned clothes and boot purchases sound likely to be on the higher side of $500) and I've seen from these threads how much you hate having to depend on goonerosity, so here's hoping all prospective and current jobs go well!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Surely, even in Florida it's illegal to pay people in room and board and food...

Without incarcerating them first anyway.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I read that as "incinerating" due to your avatar.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DICK DICER posted:

Oh thank goodness that’s a leg.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fermented Tinal posted:

These are the boots I wear. https://www.marks.com/en/shoes/mens...vel-3&x4=brands

I get about a year and a half out of them working in the print industry before they get too torn apart to justify having them repaired. I get a free pair every 2 years, so I wear clapped out boots for six months until the allowance rolls.

What I'm saying is don't buy Timberlands.

I've had a pair of these for 5 years, but my use is mostly for digging holes in my yard and doing semi-advanced DIY stuff like knocking out walls and adding new doors and windows and stuff.

https://www.catfootwear.com/US/en/second-shift-work-boot/15962M.html

StormDrain posted:

Is it?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

StormDrain posted:

14" knee terror.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
someone asked the cute girls from Australia if they wanted a turn on their guitar, and i asked them immediately after if theyd want to play with something tiny and pink instead and held out the hostel's painted ukelele for them

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DICK DICER posted:

someone asked the cute girls from Australia if they wanted a turn on their guitar, and i asked them immediately after if theyd want to play with something tiny and pink instead and held out the hostel's painted ukelele for them

Was your ribaldry appreciated?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones posted:

Was your ribaldry appreciated?

Well every dick joke thereafter has been met with "but i thought you said it was small?"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So

Mission accomplished

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Australian girls love dick jokes IME.

Impress them with your newly-acquired Vegemite-consumption skills.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Seriously if you're not doing a thin veneer of marmite/vegemite on top of loads of butter you're an idiot. Also add a spoonful of it to anything you're slow cooking. Umami Bomb!

But I mean google exists and still people do basic poo poo wrong. At this point if I ever get asked how to eat Vegemite I'm going to suggest "like Nutella"

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Dagen H posted:

I read that as "incinerating" due to your avatar.

One man's dumpster fire is another man's room and board.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Put on some Crowded House and even though the Finn boys are Kiwis, they'll still get homesick as gently caress and probably dance on a table or some poo poo.

As is custom.

Also anything by Jimmi Barnes but particularly Khe Sanh.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

slothrop posted:

Seriously if you're not doing a thin veneer of marmite/vegemite on top of loads of butter you're an idiot. Also add a spoonful of it to anything you're slow cooking. Umami Bomb!

But I mean google exists and still people do basic poo poo wrong. At this point if I ever get asked how to eat Vegemite I'm going to suggest "like Nutella"

It’s also the secret ingredient in duplicating Big Mac sauce at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Don Dongington posted:

Put on some Crowded House and even though the Finn boys are Kiwis, they'll still get homesick as gently caress and probably dance on a table or some poo poo.

As is custom.

Also anything by Jimmi Barnes but particularly Khe Sanh.

That's old person music.

Riptide by Vance Joy is what you want to go with.

• Locked thread