Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is it possible to make a mod such that 10 or so turns in AI Tyrion gets an event that makes him either go elf murder or elf buddies (with diplomatic bonuses and etc) for the rest of the game

Yes but events are kind of complicated and I've never managed to get my half-arsed attempts working.

edit: Updated my Less Kinslaying mod with some mild diplomatic culture buffs/debuffs between elves, elves, elves and dwarfs, but these still get overwritten by the game assigning random aversions pretty often. Better than nothing, hopefully.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh you dumb, dumb New World Colonies. We were such good buds, but then you had to go and take the gemstone producing capitol linked to a large set of geomantic lines. I suppose your continued existence is no longer part of The Plan.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ravenfood posted:

Oh you dumb, dumb New World Colonies. We were such good buds, but then you had to go and take the gemstone producing capitol linked to a large set of geomantic lines. I suppose your continued existence is no longer part of The Plan.

I was a little peeved that they stole Skeggi from me but we became best buds, and I shepherded them all the way up to the Ancient City of Quintex in the end.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I am the proud owner of TW Warhammer 2. I do not own 1 and have never played it. I was a huge fan of the early games but basically have not played any of them since Medieval 2.

I tried to start a TW2 campaign as Tyrion and I found the changes to the series since MTW2 to be a bit, uh, disorienting. I have no real problem understanding how to operate battles on the real time map and win them. However, on the strategic level, I am completely and totally lost and the whole thing seems pretty overwhelming. It’s weirdly difficult to start a campaign in TW2 when I can’t help but figure that I’m somehow going to be screwing myself over long term without even realizing how or why at the beginning of the campaign. I’m also not used to big pictures changes to how the TW strategic layer works (research, missions, diplomacy and trade) that have evidently been part of the series for many entries now that I’m more or less completely unfamiliar with.

Does anyone have any advice for how to approach this game for someone who is a MYW2 era player? The strategic system just seems orders of magnitude more complex and I’m just not really sure where or how to start approaching it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Anyone try the skill mods that update skills from older Lords to make them in line with the vortex campaign lords?

I'm trying it with Dwarves and it is pretty fun. The upside is that you can get some crazy Stacking bonuses on things the dwarves are already strong with (ranged, artillery). The Ancestor veneration skills give you global bonuses.

Really the main downside is that the skillset is so similar to high elves in particular that it feels a little samey. Ungrim's Foundation patch skills were actually pretty good, in particular I miss the capstone skill that gives him+Slayers a huge boost in replenishment. This mod doesn't have those skills, and the main unique thing about starting Dutch Ungrim is you can stack so much upkeep discounts on Slayers they end up being virtually free to maintain.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

sassassin posted:

Yes but events are kind of complicated and I've never managed to get my half-arsed attempts working.

edit: Updated my Less Kinslaying mod with some mild diplomatic culture buffs/debuffs between elves, elves, elves and dwarfs, but these still get overwritten by the game assigning random aversions pretty often. Better than nothing, hopefully.

I’m not 100%, but you might have to interact with the scripts to get events to fire. They are accessible in data.pack and there are quite a few, bit I don’t know much more than that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 22, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Anyone try the skill mods that update skills from older Lords to make them in line with the vortex campaign lords?

I'm trying it with Dwarves and it is pretty fun. The upside is that you can get some crazy Stacking bonuses on things the dwarves are already strong with (ranged, artillery). The Ancestor veneration skills give you global bonuses.

Really the main downside is that the skillset is so similar to high elves in particular that it feels a little samey. Ungrim's Foundation patch skills were actually pretty good, in particular I miss the capstone skill that gives him+Slayers a huge boost in replenishment. This mod doesn't have those skills, and the main unique thing about starting Dutch Ungrim is you can stack so much upkeep discounts on Slayers they end up being virtually free to maintain.

Yeah I'm using JR's, it's fantastic. And yes, Dwarfs can stack some insane ranged firepower once you get into gold rank. He's done a great job with the Empire set too; thematically appropriate and well-balanced. For those who aren't using it, he basically covers all 4 aspects of the Imperial army:

State Troops - All standard soldiers and Greatswords.
Irregulars - Flagellants, Free Companies, and missile cavalry.
Knights - Both horses and Demigryphs.
Warmachines - Artillery, Steam Tanks, and Luminarks.

Another thing that I appreciate is that he consolidates bonuses to new units and Lords from the DLCs. For the Empire, that means that Honest Steel now buffs Flagellants with their usual skill bonuses (sans the charge bonus skill) so even Generals can make use of the nutjobs. It's even better for the Dwarfs, because Rangers and Bolt Throwers can now be used to their fullest extent by both Lords and Runelords instead of just the latter, which means your choice of Lord is now more about what role you want your Lord to be playing in an army.

I hope CA does more or less the same thing, particularly with the DLC units/Lords issue. Also hoping they let each generic Lord specialize in an aspect a la Lizardmen pantheon and JR's Dwarf pantheon, that's also very cool.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

So I am the proud owner of TW Warhammer 2. I do not own 1 and have never played it. I was a huge fan of the early games but basically have not played any of them since Medieval 2.

I tried to start a TW2 campaign as Tyrion and I found the changes to the series since MTW2 to be a bit, uh, disorienting. I have no real problem understanding how to operate battles on the real time map and win them. However, on the strategic level, I am completely and totally lost and the whole thing seems pretty overwhelming. It’s weirdly difficult to start a campaign in TW2 when I can’t help but figure that I’m somehow going to be screwing myself over long term without even realizing how or why at the beginning of the campaign. I’m also not used to big pictures changes to how the TW strategic layer works (research, missions, diplomacy and trade) that have evidently been part of the series for many entries now that I’m more or less completely unfamiliar with.

Does anyone have any advice for how to approach this game for someone who is a MYW2 era player? The strategic system just seems orders of magnitude more complex and I’m just not really sure where or how to start approaching it.

It's almost certainly less complex than Medieval 2, to be honest. Just roll with it. Not having an optimal research order or whatever on your first campaign isn't the end of the world.

One thing worth mentioning is that in diplomacy, you have a reliability rating (Steadfast, Unreliable, Untrustworthy, etc). This goes down if you break treaties, and slowly goes back up over time. Anything other than Steadfast will make it very difficult to get any agreements at all.

Also, build walls in every settlement that you possibly can.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Yeah venerate Grimnir is great with Ungrim, and finally getting merged ranger bonuses is helpful.

Assuming range bonuses work properly you could also see some nice benefits with irondrakes as well.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

prussian advisor posted:

Funnily enough the game is actually much less complex than Medieval 2, although I can understand why it might seem disorienting coming into it. Building trees very clearly lay out what they do, troop recruitment and replenishment is better, and goals are clearly outlined.

You do not need agents to initiate diplomacy with other factions anymore. Now, as long as you've encountered them on the map, you can do all of that through the diplomacy menu. The things you can request are all pretty standard but it also shows how much that faction likes or dislikes you (and why, if you scroll over the number), and the likelihood that they'll accept what you're proposing. You don't have to guess. There are also certain traits and ratings you can see on this screen such as "Trustworthy" or "Distrusts the Empire" which affect diplomacy.

Research is pretty straightforward. For most, but not all, factions, certain buildings unlock technology (some can just research right off the bat). These can be used to improve your troops and economy, or unlock new units. You don't have to "do" anything with these other than decide what buffs you wants to shoot for first, and maybe plan ahead for certain buildings you'd like to prioritize in order to unlock better technologies.

Missions are mostly optional. It's generally just a way to earn extra loot. The exception would be your legendary lords who get quest missions towards powerful weapons and armor they can equip.

Trade is also pretty simple. If a route can be established between your capital and the other faction's, you can trade. Individual trade goods themselves (wood, iron, etc) don't actually do anything but having more of them means you can earn more money.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Funnily enough the game is actually much less complex than Medieval 2, although I can understand why it might seem disorienting coming into it. Building trees very clearly lay out what they do, troop recruitment and replenishment is better, and goals are clearly outlined.

You do not need agents to initiate diplomacy with other factions anymore. Now, as long as you've encountered them on the map, you can do all of that through the diplomacy menu. The things you can request are all pretty standard but it also shows how much that faction likes or dislikes you (and why, if you scroll over the number), and the likelihood that they'll accept what you're proposing. You don't have to guess. There are also certain traits and ratings you can see on this screen such as "Trustworthy" or "Distrusts the Empire" which affect diplomacy.

Research is pretty straightforward. For most, but not all, factions, certain buildings unlock technology (some can just research right off the bat). These can be used to improve your troops and economy, or unlock new units. You don't have to "do" anything with these other than decide what buffs you wants to shoot for first, and maybe plan ahead for certain buildings you'd like to prioritize in order to unlock better technologies.

Missions are mostly optional. It's generally just a way to earn extra loot. The exception would be your legendary lords who get quest missions towards powerful weapons and armor they can equip.

Trade is also pretty simple. If a route can be established between your capital and the other faction's, you can trade. Individual trade goods themselves (wood, iron, etc) don't actually do anything but having more of them means you can earn more money.

Different trade goods have different values per item produced. You can see these if you mouse over their icon on the diplomacy screen, as well as what percentage of what you're producing you're trading away. So if you have something very high value that you're trading away 100% of, and a neighbor with that same resource, it might be worth taking it from them to have more to trade.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Did they give any ETA for the opt-in beta for the sort-of-Founders Update? Was it "soon"?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
After beating a normal campaign, I thought I'd bump it up to hard, and boy does the difficulty spike. It seems like anyone can call everyone into their wars against you, and God help you if they get Tyrion involved, because he is unstoppable. Any tips for higher difficulties?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MoreLikeTen posted:

After beating a normal campaign, I thought I'd bump it up to hard, and boy does the difficulty spike. It seems like anyone can call everyone into their wars against you, and God help you if they get Tyrion involved, because he is unstoppable. Any tips for higher difficulties?

On higher difficulties you should play more methodically. Rapid expansion is possible, but not advised. You'll quickly overextend yourself and the AI is capable of capitalizing on your mistakes and hitting you where you're weakest. Avoid making alliances, but build relationships with groups you want to later confederate through trade, loving over their enemies, NAP, etc.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MoreLikeTen posted:

yeah, on hard and above you're not going to get away with Always Attacking All The Time. sometimes it is worthwhile to sit back, relax, and raid the poo poo out of your frontier provinces to buff up your mans while you wait to have a better economy/infantry

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No matter how many times I kill Welch Shiptaker, every time I move forward there he is with another full stack (and friends).

I'm so sick of his bombardment spell.

Ze Pollack posted:

raid the poo poo out of your frontier provinces to buff up your mans while you wait to have a better economy/infantry

Don't do this. Be a good king.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

sassassin posted:

Im playing momrathi so good leadership is pretty much out the window at this point

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sassassin posted:

No matter how many times I kill Welch Shiptaker, every time I move forward there he is with another full stack (and friends).

I'm so sick of his bombardment spell.

literally the only factions who can do this in 2 are rats, who are against the concept on moral grounds, and dark elves, who consider it a slightly bloodier than usual training exercise

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Return the dark elves to the light, and save Ulthuan from Tyrion's madness.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sassassin posted:

Return the dark elves to the light, and save Ulthuan from Tyrion's madness.

gotta make sure the armies are worthy in Khaine's eyes

dad founded this empire on the murder, slavery, and listening to cursed swords standard, and damned if Malekith will not live up to his legacy

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I think I'm misunderstanding something basic about the pace of conquest here.

Since there's a sale on TW1 and it's about $20, I wound up picking that up since I wanted to play Empire. I started the game as Karl Franz, did the tutorial thing, and conquered the second town in the Reikland province that Altdorf is in (Grunberg, I think?) I've continued to recruit and have a full stack of swordsmen, spearmen, and crossbows, and they seem pretty effective. However, after I occupied Grunberg from the successionists, public order completely tanked. Due to the army upkeep I cannot afford building upgrades and if I actually tax Reikland my public order continues to spiral straight into the toilet. Seemingly, if I conquer another city in Reikland, it will hurt the region-wide public order even worse. What am I missing? What's the best strategy for early expansion/strengthening? I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm used to the MTW2 calculus of more cities = more money. I'm also not sure to what extent I should be encouraging growth in these cities...it seems this just unlocks extra building slots?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If public order hits -100 it spawns a rebel army, which if you have a primary combat stack nearby is just a loot pinata.

Growth also unlocks higher tiers of buildings, with the biggest game changer being lv3 walls in minor settlements.

The public order malus from conquest also drops each turn.

Conquer until you can only barely handle the rebel stacks + enemy incursions, then swat rebels until things stabilize. Pretty soon you'll have a stable core and at least one secondary stack.

Also conquering a whole province lets you issue a commandment, which you can make a public order bonus if you want to buy some extra time to go take, say, Marienburg.

edit oh right also never not tax unless it's someplace in the boonies with no friendly armies anywhere near and that'll buy you just enough time to build an order building or something

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

So I think I'm misunderstanding something basic about the pace of conquest here.

Since there's a sale on TW1 and it's about $20, I wound up picking that up since I wanted to play Empire. I started the game as Karl Franz, did the tutorial thing, and conquered the second town in the Reikland province that Altdorf is in (Grunberg, I think?) I've continued to recruit and have a full stack of swordsmen, spearmen, and crossbows, and they seem pretty effective. However, after I occupied Grunberg from the successionists, public order completely tanked. Due to the army upkeep I cannot afford building upgrades and if I actually tax Reikland my public order continues to spiral straight into the toilet. Seemingly, if I conquer another city in Reikland, it will hurt the region-wide public order even worse. What am I missing? What's the best strategy for early expansion/strengthening? I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm used to the MTW2 calculus of more cities = more money. I'm also not sure to what extent I should be encouraging growth in these cities...it seems this just unlocks extra building slots?

Public Order is shared in a province.

Retake Reikland and worry about public order later.

In general need at least one Public Order building in a Province and you can forget about it after.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Probably worth noting that public order has no effect aside from spawning rebels at -100 and that the rebels start as a five unit nuisance stack that then takes several turns to grow to twenty.

Growth builds up the surplus population number in the city stats. You spend population to to upgrade the main settlement building. This adds building slots and allows you to upgrade your other buildings, up to the same level as the main building.

Money comes from the main building + dedicated moneymaker buildings (tanners, weavers, ports etc for empire) and from trade.

As the empire its a good idea to secure Reikland then rush down Marienburg, the port city on the cost to your west. They have a unique port that generates major cash.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 22, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ZeusJupitar posted:

Probably worth noting that public order has no effect aside from spawning rebels at -100 and that the rebels start as a five unit nuisance stack that then takes several turns to grow to twenty.

The only exception to this is if you're playing as the High Elves. They actually get bonuses or penalties to things like growth as their public order improves/degrades.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

So in the vortex campaign as Morathi, chaos warriors razed my scroll site, and my son took it over the turn after, before I could get to it. Do I have to go to war with him over it or will he give me scrolls in a military alliance?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

MoreLikeTen posted:

So in the vortex campaign as Morathi, chaos warriors razed my scroll site, and my son took it over the turn after, before I could get to it. Do I have to go to war with him over it or will he give me scrolls in a military alliance?

gotta slap that punk rear end kid down and take his stuff

how else is he gonna learn?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MoreLikeTen posted:

Your son is the dumbest fucker in the entire warhammer setting, go stomp him and restart that ritual.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just lol if you don't conquer Malekith as Morathi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kingcom posted:

Your son is the dumbest fucker in the entire warhammer setting, go stomp him and restart that ritual.

Let's not get crazy here, Mannfred von Carstein exists.

and coincidentally is also at his best when his parents keep him in line

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MoreLikeTen posted:

Alliances don't do anything even though they really should (like with amber).

Losing a special site slows ritual progress down a lot but you can still win by going slow and steady and murdering whoever pulls out in front.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

prussian advisor posted:

As the Empire you really want to get your first province, Reikland, under control ASAP. If you're super quick you can have the entire province secured by turn 5 or 6, but turn 10 is probably a decent par time for getting it under control. As others have said, don't worry too much about public order - at -100 it'll create a rebellion in the province capital region (so Altdorf, in your case) and you can beat them up. While the rebellion is active public order will stabilise and it'll also get a boost from military crackdown if you defeat the rebels. Conquering a province in its entirety also destabilises the whole province due to the public order hit from occupying settlements, but this goes away over time and eventually you'll cease to have any troubles whatsoever with public order in most of your heartland provinces.

As for growth, it's very good and desirable but I find that one dedicated growth building per province (not per region/city) is enough to do the job. Grunburg is a good candidate for this in Reikland as it has a special resource that gives you an extra-good growth building.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If public order hits -100 it spawns a rebel army, which if you have a primary combat stack nearby is just a loot pinata.

This is true most of the time, but on higher difficulties you really don't want a rebel army spawning when you aren't ready or in some cases at all because turn 20 stacks of rockets and dudes riding demigryphs aren't cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Mannfred sending "Vlad why... Let's be friends" diplomacy messages as you smash up his poo poo is one of my favourite things

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean mannfred is pretty dumb but he hasn't voluntarily burn't himself alive yet as far as I know.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kingcom posted:

I mean mannfred is pretty dumb but he hasn't voluntarily burn't himself alive yet as far as I know.

Poor old Mal just wanted to believe. Don't blame him for that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if I'm someone who really likes Total Warhammer and it's the only Total War I've played, would it be worth it to pick up Attila and some of the DLC in this sale?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

if I'm someone who really likes Total Warhammer and it's the only Total War I've played, would it be worth it to pick up Attila and some of the DLC in this sale?

Depends. Do you like the magic and variety in factions? I'd personally just keep buying factions and stuff for warhams than get Atilla. It's fine but given the choice of what to load up, I'll always pick TWW now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Let's be fair, neither of those other two have anything resembling poo poo on Manny in terms of loving up. When you look up "gently caress up" in the Encyclopedia Imperium or whatever pretentious name it surely has, there's just a picture of Mannfred stabbing Gelt and a shitload of expletives :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Really nice to have War Crown of Saphery's first requirement be performing invocation of isha. I am in a zombie and rat infested shithole, I popped that turn 3. See you turn 40 i guess.