Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

The only advantage I see to them is that they're relatively cheap and light.

The British V8 I want to use for something is the Rolls/Bentley 6-3/4.

The above Rover v8 was acquired for pennies to basically be the test engine for the car and something with more displacement that was going to be slotted in later. Thing is it really didn't need anything more than it has now. It also has line locks so burnouts on demand... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meltie posted:

Put a Rover 3.5 in it?

Haha oh god. My SD1-sourced V8 got eight mpg (UK).
[/quote]

That's... amazingly bad. I get (not much) better mileage out of a 5.7 Oldsmobile V8 in a 3600 pound car. '60s tech, I guess.

Enourmo posted:

Would it be awesome or sacrilegious to swap a 2.3 ecoboost into an SVO?

Yes.

InitialDave posted:

The only advantage I see to them is that they're relatively cheap and light.

The British V8 I want to use for something is the Rolls/Bentley 6-3/4.

Yes. "No Fucks" Corbin's Rolls sounds awesome. He made it more of a hack job than I would have, but that's his shtick.
The car itself, stock, is massively overbuilt. Stuff like a 10" ring gear, IIRC. I had no idea until I watched the build videos that they were IRS.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Korwen posted:

The biggest pain in the rear end on the timing belt was really dealing with rusted bolts that broke, had to drill and re-tap one out. Took probably 12-16 hours, but I was also in a garage with a full as hell tool kit, a lift, and had 4 or 5 experienced 928 mechanics helping me out. DFW is a good place to own a 928.

I sold it because of the electrics, and the cost of replacing the transmission or rear end if I blew it. Seriously the electrics are a nightmare to work on. Loved the car though, looked great, sounded good. An LS swapped one would be wonderful.
Same reason I sold mine. I loved it and the engine was pretty drat perfect (even being an early model with the smallest engine) but the electronics were always a matter of what will break next.

Wow that engine bay is clean

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

the notchback is the best-looking american car post 80's

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darchangel posted:

That's... amazingly bad. I get (not much) better mileage out of a 5.7 Oldsmobile V8 in a 3600 pound car. '60s tech, I guess.

I'm sure most of the cylinders were working.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Go on...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not an LS :colbert:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

iospace posted:

Not an LS :colbert:

On the contrary, I think you will find that it is actually a Ludicrous Swap.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...unless it's loaded into something which weighs as much as a bean tin.

It's a seriously great car, poopy v8 or otherwise.

That's an awesome Torana- waaaaait a minute.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello Spaceman posted:

On the contrary, I think you will find that it is actually a Ludicrous Swap.

:golfclap:

I am curious, mostly I want to know how many BMW purists are crying right now.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
how many car nerds roll up during red lights and get annoyed at those badges until the light turns green

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

iospace posted:

:golfclap:

I am curious, mostly I want to know how many BMW purists are crying right now.

Haha, one the biggest BMW fans I know worked at HQ and now runs a dealership, but loves Porsche. I sent him this and he is conflicted.

Thief posted:

how many car nerds roll up during red lights and get annoyed at those badges until the light turns green

Yeah I feel that the Porsche badges are just tacky on this. Leave it a BMW and just keep it as a sleeper.

Related content: https://instagram.com/p/Bbo2_u1jGEZ/

Viper V10 in a Z4.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Every now and then I've considered the idea of getting my hands on a Cayman engine to put in my S2, but I then realise that the cost and work involved would be astronomical so I just walk away from that thought process entirely. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Falken posted:

Every now and then I've considered the idea of getting my hands on a Cayman engine to put in my S2, but I then realise that the cost and work involved would be astronomical so I just walk away from that thought process entirely. :v:

You could probably find a written off Boxster somewhere and you could poach the engine off of that.
But considering how hosed up the expensive car scrap market is You'd prob be better off finding a dead WRX.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Shoehorning a boxer motor into a Porsche 944 engine bay that currently houses an line four seems futile.

Rather get an S2000 mill and talk about having 240 Horschepower.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How to get eaten alive by the DOT, exhibit A.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

That looks cool but is also Exhibit A in people who should not be driving a semi let alone a regular car. Punisher skull alone gives away psycho.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At first glance I thought it had burned out.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø
Whats that one movie where the dude keeps getting followed by a crazy semi truck? It should have been this instead of the cabover.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Preoptopus posted:

Whats that one movie where the dude keeps getting followed by a crazy semi truck? It should have been this instead of the cabover.

Wasn't that a black pickup truck? It was a pastor driving out in the desert, I think it was a part of a 3 mini series part of different stories. One of them was called Bishop of Battle?
Unless you mean Maximum Overdrive with the goblin face semi truck.

EDIT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_(1983_film)

The Benediction

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't that a black pickup truck? It was a pastor driving out in the desert, I think it was a part of a 3 mini series part of different stories. One of them was called Bishop of Battle?
Unless you mean Maximum Overdrive with the goblin face semi truck.

EDIT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_(1983_film)

The Benediction

gently caress its Duel. And it wasnt a cab over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_zLWpjuBA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DiggityDoink posted:

That looks cool but is also Exhibit A in people who should not be driving a semi let alone a regular car. Punisher skull alone gives away psycho.

I immediately thought it was a tribute to the "Duel" truck because of all the license plates on the bumper, but it's more than a little bit overdone for that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJKdT1k8N4

alexi livin' the dream :allears:

:how:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The BRM supercharged V16 is the greatest sounding engine of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRNoRlLlsD8

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress its Duel. And it wasnt a cab over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_zLWpjuBA

You have to admire their restraint in sending a tanker truck off a cliff and not having it explode.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Alexi is a good fuckin dude.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BlackMK4 posted:

Alexi is a good fuckin dude.

Yup, Alexi is one of the most chill people with cool car content.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Enourmo posted:

You have to admire their restraint in sending a tanker truck off a cliff and not having it explode.

Spielberg talked about that in the recent hbo documentary about his career. ABC absolutely wanted the truck to explode but he insisted the audience needed to watch it bleed out.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

The Locator posted:

I immediately thought it was a tribute to the "Duel" truck because of all the license plates on the bumper, but it's more than a little bit overdone for that.
I'm surprised that someone with a Fury Road avatar didn't jump immediately to 'War Rig'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Itzena posted:

I'm surprised that someone with a Fury Road avatar didn't jump immediately to 'War Rig'

There was a very recent discussion of the truck from Duel, so all the license plates on the front sent my brain there immediately. War Rig has no license plates!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

Maybe Maximum Overdrive? It had that semi with the giant goblin head on the front

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Maybe Maximum Overdrive? It had that semi with the giant goblin head on the front
That film is such a great B-movie. Got some AC/DC in there, too, with Who made Who.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

InitialDave posted:

That film is such a great B-movie. Got some AC/DC in there, too, with Who made Who.

Some? I'm pretty sure they did the soundtrack.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

boxen posted:

Some? I'm pretty sure they did the soundtrack.
The film soundtrack is the album Who Made Who, which includes the titular song.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Stephen King directed that movie, and only two good things came out of that movie: who made who and Stephen King's cocaine addiction.

And the goblin truck was kinda neat too I guess. Hell I work third shift tonight, might as well watch it again.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

Stephen King directed that movie, and only two good things came out of that movie: who made who and Stephen King's cocaine addiction.

And the goblin truck was kinda neat too I guess. Hell I work third shift tonight, might as well watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluQxuEZazo

My old work had an identical dozers to this one sitting around for test purposes, and I had to drive it around on on occasion. The clutches were worn and the brakes only barely worked, but I did find myself singing that song when I had to operate it for any length of time.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boxen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluQxuEZazo

My old work had an identical dozers to this one sitting around for test purposes, and I had to drive it around on on occasion. The clutches were worn and the brakes only barely worked, but I did find myself singing that song when I had to operate it for any length of time.

My uncle was the driver in “Killdozer” driving a piece of equipment from our now defunct family construction company.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071717/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm not 100% this is the right thread for it but my heart is telling me so.