Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

If Sony were smart they would jump feet first into the VR business and make it their main gaming platform. They're already a step ahead of Microsoft (IIRC the xbone still doesn't have VR support?) and Nintendo is clearly expanding towards mobility/portability gaming.

Yeah, they would jump head first into a market that is a vanishingly small fraction of their business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

I don't know. You can't even make your character walk around in VR games. You have to do some weird teleport thing. Call me when they can make a real, normal video game in VR. (i.e. twenty years).

It's because of lovely shovelware developers, the likes of which fuel Greenlight and Google Play

Resident Evil 7 was a casebook study in how to design a game for two things at once but nobody seems to just do that. Hell, how hard would it be to update GTA for VR?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's because of lovely shovelware developers, the likes of which fuel Greenlight and Google Play

Resident Evil 7 was a casebook study in how to design a game for two things at once but nobody seems to just do that. Hell, how hard would it be to update GTA for VR?

I imagine it's because it's easier and cheaper to make lovely shovelware, than it is to make Resident Evil 7 VR. And since there are only a small amount of VR games, people will pick up the lovely games, regardless.

Until VR is cheaper, it's going to remain a niche product.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Has VR been updated so anything more than a slight jog isn't extremely nauseating or migraine inducing?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yes and no. Comfort options have improved but the real answer is to start out with really mild games and work your way into being able to comfortably run around in full locomotion. it takes some time. I realize that "play it for a week and it won't make you sick anymore" isn't the most amazing selling point, but there are tons of games where you don't have to move, or the movement is canned so that you can use to ease yourself in.

I literally couldn't do games with any sort of movement without wanting to vomit, and any game whatsoever would make me feel disoriented for like 20 minutes after playing. After a few days that went away and I have zero problems running around in full speed FPSs now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have no dog in the VR race but this isn't new, back in the mid-90s regular rear end 3D platformers were making sensitive people disoriented and nauseous. My younger brother loved Rayman but literally couldn't play Crash Bandicoot for like two weeks until he got used to it.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
daggerfall's spellcrafting system needs to be refined but is still the best magic system ever devised

turn magic into a programming exercise

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

veni veni veni posted:

yes and no. Comfort options have improved but the real answer is to start out with really mild games and work your way into being able to comfortably run around in full locomotion. it takes some time. I realize that "play it for a week and it won't make you sick anymore" isn't the most amazing selling point, but there are tons of games where you don't have to move, or the movement is canned so that you can use to ease yourself in.

I literally couldn't do games with any sort of movement without wanting to vomit, and any game whatsoever would make me feel disoriented for like 20 minutes after playing. After a few days that went away and I have zero problems running around in full speed FPSs now.

I didn't know it was possible to acclimate. I got so sick the first time that I gave up. Also, I didn't like how the peripherals fit (this was for PS4). If I were to get into VR, I would probably want something custom made for my head that fits perfectly because light getting in seemed to be part of the sickness problem.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I cringed so hard after firing up dues ex after hearing all about it and glowing reviews. I was literally like what the gently caress is this corny poo poo and uninstalled. I know people are gonna get mad but like guys it's the dorkiest game I've ever seen. I apologize for saying this lol.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

DogonCrook posted:

I cringed so hard after firing up dues ex after hearing all about it and glowing reviews. I was literally like what the gently caress is this corny poo poo and uninstalled. I know people are gonna get mad but like guys it's the dorkiest game I've ever seen. I apologize for saying this lol.

when you are coming up with an opinion specifically to make people mad don't be so obvious about it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

lmao dorky video games, as opposed to hip ones

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This is one cool-rear end video game. I feel smooth.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
i retract my statement

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DogonCrook posted:

it's actually pretty bad while still being great

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

DogonCrook posted:

Aren’t all games dorky?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deus EX is pretty loving dorky. The trechcoat and oakleys cool guy look has been embarrassing to watch since it's inception. I've only played the new ones but I still have trouble coming to terms with how stupid he looks.

Those retractable sunglasses I mean, cmon.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Worst part of the HD deus exs is the voice actor who does the voice of the main dude. That guy is terrible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I didn't ask for any of this.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

VictorianQueerLit posted:

when you are coming up with an opinion specifically to make people mad don't be so obvious about it

You may not get the concept of the unpopular opinions thread and lol if you dont recognize how cringe that game can be.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

sebmojo posted:

it's actually pretty bad while still being great

Yeah i mean ive heard this enough ive thought about giving it another go, i mean the gameplay sounded great. I also got HR years after release in a cheap sale so it was extra dated by then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i mean ive heard this enough ive thought about giving it another go, i mean the gameplay sounded great. I also got HR years after release in a cheap sale so it was extra dated by then.

Idk, its clunky as poo poo in basically every way you can imagine and looked crappy even at release but theres something about the ambition of it that is super charming. Its legit good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's how I feel about Bethesda. It's all clunky and ugly and stupid but I just want to do all of it and I love every minute of it.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
The Battlefield series is best enjoyed in TDM or Squad DM because vehicles are dumb garbage, especially jets. The exception is Bad Company 2 because the game was designed around infantry combat from the start and toned down how strong vehicles are.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Don't forget that the game is loving ancient. People have big rose tinted glasses for it, and people who go back to play it now are very often veteran players and fans who will overlook any flaws/already be accustomed to its shonkiness. Coming into it fresh in TYOOL 2017 is almost certain to disappoint given its reputation. It's not the only sacred cow game out there, but these games tended to have their reputations built on being genuinely loving amazing for the time, which Deus Ex was.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Evil Within 2 and that new Lord of the Rings game both got huge price cuts considering how new they are in the Steam sale. I guess they haven't been selling very well?

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Jeza posted:

Don't forget that the game is loving ancient. People have big rose tinted glasses for it, and people who go back to play it now are very often veteran players and fans who will overlook any flaws/already be accustomed to its shonkiness. Coming into it fresh in TYOOL 2017 is almost certain to disappoint given its reputation. It's not the only sacred cow game out there, but these games tended to have their reputations built on being genuinely loving amazing for the time, which Deus Ex was.

basically take the feeling you had when you played the new prey for the first time and dial it up 10x. that's how good dx1 was the first time through

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
its now down to only about 4-5x as good

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

I didn't ask for any of this.

Adam Jansen is one of the few good story bits to the new Deus Exes, even if he is just "depressed Robocop".

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Deus Ex is really inclusive. How many other games have a male protag who doesn't have a dick?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lodin posted:

Deus Ex is really inclusive. How many other games have a male protag who doesn't have a dick?

:golfclap: you've get ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

in dxhr they upped the ante by having Jensen let his girlfriend gently caress a guy with no dick

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jensen was a great protagonist and Deus Ex: HR was amazing, but the fact that Squeenix gutted the sequel so hard for sweet sweet DLC bucks and then after their meddling ruined the game they declared it a failure... drat dude, what a shame

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, rip.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeza posted:

This is true of the vast majority of 3D games from 1993-2009 or so. Like 99.99% of them. It actually bums me a bit because aside from turbonerds who like to play at being "gamer historians" most people are going to be really unkind to what was essentially the medium's puberty on top of the fact that most people are harsh to any "classic" as a matter of course.

Deus Ex did look crappy, play crappy, and feel crappy even at the time though. Its strengths as a series have always been its macro-level play. Its moment-to-moment really does kind-of suck.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
hey mom can you buy me do sex

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
wait i said that wrong. day of sex

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
unpopular but true: playing console causes brain AIDS

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The Dennis System posted:

Evil Within 2 and that new Lord of the Rings game both got huge price cuts considering how new they are in the Steam sale. I guess they haven't been selling very well?

Shadows of War is good and fun and sold pretty well.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

Shadows of War is good and fun and sold pretty well.

Yeah but they turned the end game into a grindy slog to encourage you to buy their "not-gambling" skinner boxes. I hope they lose their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mario Odyssey is really fun and has some creative stuff going on, but it's probably the weakest main entry in the series in the last decade. The amount of critical knob slobbering over it is kind of insane.