Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

R-Type posted:

Even in that condition it still looks better than any Harley. You will get poo poo from insurance companies, it might be better to try to re-register it as a home build/custom (may not be allowed in your state, check the rules) . Id say 30 cents on the dollar of book value. I'd have the frame checked for straightness and would make sure it wasn't damaged, lest ye disintegrate after going over a big pothole at 70 mph.

New they are 13. Got said he didn't list it on CL ad salvage because he did not want to deal with 3500 low ballers. Kbb says it is 9500 or so. Another bike on consignment I saw and other CL listings seem to agree with that. So what should I try like 4k? I figure I will call my insurer after the holidays and check how they feel about it.

Slavvy posted:

Crashbars are ghastly and need to go in the bin ASAP but I'd ride it. Pokie aren't you coming from an MV or somesuch? What made you go after a scout? Just curious.

Agreed on bars. Yeah, I am selling my MV. I also have a WR250X and a S1000XR. I just think the scout is very pretty, and it is reasonably fun to ride now and then. I would not get one new, but have been looking for good deals on them for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wait can you explain a bit more about salvage titles in Cali? Not that I’m interested in a salvage bike, just want to learn.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ same-ish. If someone with experience could chime in, that would be neat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Some douchebag wrote a thing about this in a local rag once. Probably was drunk at the time.

http://citybike.com/includes/upload/back_issue/cb_2014-07.pdf

Page 20.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Some douchebag wrote a thing about this in a local rag once. Probably was drunk at the time.

http://citybike.com/includes/upload/back_issue/cb_2014-07.pdf

Page 20.

Ok, I read the screed of purple prose. It seems like the logical order of operations is to call insurance for an estimate, see if the owner lets a dealer evaluate the bike for damage (it does not sounds like there is a documentation trail of the original owners crash), and haggle it down.

Provided it is just a few scratches, how low/high do you think I should go for this beast?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I’d ballpark in at 5k. Probably start at 4.5. It’s a salvage title bike with zero docs, just not really worth much imo. Cruiser market is real weird tho so I don’t have strong guidance here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm looking at selling my bandit and getting an sv650. Anything specific I should look for or watch out for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Z3n posted:

Do you really want a cruiser? I find them pretty garby to ride.
I thought so too until I test rode the scout. Turns out it's actually possible to make a good cruiser if you listen to riders instead of the garage queen demographic and give it a good frame with modern suspension and an engine from the 21st century.

Now if they'd only show up used so I don't have to pay €200k for one...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm looking at selling my bandit and getting an sv650. Anything specific I should look for or watch out for?

There are 3 (technically 4) generations of sv650, which one are you looking at?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

I thought so too until I test rode the scout. Turns out it's actually possible to make a good cruiser if you listen to riders instead of the garage queen demographic and give it a good frame with modern suspension and an engine from the 21st century.

Now if they'd only show up used so I don't have to pay €200k for one...

The new fat bob is like that too, handles like an actual normal good bike instead of an antiquated floppy piece of poo poo.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are 3 (technically 4) generations of sv650, which one are you looking at?

I don't know what generations correspond to which years exactly. I'm not going to be getting the most recent release (the one with the awful seat and ABS). Call it the 2000s era SV.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so I'm pretty sure you're meaning the boxy frame, efi models that are everywhere and not the older rounded carby ones.

On that model there was a change around 06 (I think) where they switched to twin-plug heads but the bike is otherwise identical from what I've seen (SV nerds correct me).

They don't have any real pitfalls (only thing I can think of is water sometimes flicks up into the front plug hole) but they do tend to be onwed by neglectful retards more often than not, the general condition of the bike but especially the tyres and chain (too expensive and messy, respectively, for idiots to care about) are usually good indicators of the stupid level. The half faired models have a pretty different riding position to the nakeds similar to an 80's/early 90's sportsbike, much better headlights and IIRC slightly different gearing but are otherwise the same.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good to know. Definitely not interested in the half fared version. There's not as many examples around in my area as you'd think. I'll probably be looking for a while and a lot depends on how quickly my bandit gets sold.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
The naked models are harder to find for sure, but they'll pop up.

If you change your mind on the half-faired version, I have a 2008 you can have for cheap. :c00l:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for the offer, but no I'm set on the naked bike. Also I'm in Australia so... :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the off chance that you're in a LAMS state, the only difference is the ecu so if learner models are cheaper you can grab one of those and swap ECU's with a full power model, plug and play. Or just stick on a power commander and achieve the same thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The pointy SV’s have no real huge issues. I think In 07 iirc they switched around some of the ecu functions and fuel injection. For instance the 07+ models have the idle controlled by the ecu rather than a set screw. I think this is also when abs became an option. Little things but none of them matter in day to day driving.

Reminder that the 03 models are unique snowflakes and have different sub frames, exhausts, etc only for that one year. The 04+ pointy models are all the same physically and dimensionally. The 04 models retained the silver frame color of the 03’s, then they all went to black frames in 05+

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Reminder that the 03 models are unique snowflakes and have different sub frames, exhausts, etc only for that one year. The 04+ pointy models are all the same physically and dimensionally. The 04 models retained the silver frame color of the 03’s, then they all went to black frames in 05+

I had an 03 and wasn't aware of this, very interesting. Could it be one of the only recorded instances of suzuki behaving like honda?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s a very un-Suzuki thing to do to have a single model year of anything.

Thankfully SV’s are common enough that you can still buy new aftermarket pipes for the 03’s. Things like subframes might be hard to find but unless you send the bike cartwheeling down the street there is no reason to ever replace an SV subframe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes me wonder if they share subframes with the SV1K or something because both bikes came out in the same year and maybe suzuki decided to save some money then immediately backtracked when they realised the two bikes would be used for completely different poo poo?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No they’re totally unique the 1k has different stuff. Very un-Suzuki considering

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The pointy SV’s have no real huge issues. I think In 07 iirc they switched around some of the ecu functions and fuel injection. For instance the 07+ models have the idle controlled by the ecu rather than a set screw. I think this is also when abs became an option. Little things but none of them matter in day to day driving.

Quoting for reference later.

Sounds like a good idea to avoid the 03 just for simplicity's sake. Good points raised. Thanks.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Update on Indian Scout salvage title. I called my insurance, and they said it would cost me $160 more on top of what I am paying to put it on my comprehensive that comes with a solid chunk of liability etc. So that's reasonable. However, when contacted the owner balked at the idea that his bike should be sold for half MSRP and said 7k is the lowest he will go (although he rapidly agreed to 7k at the first meeting before revealing it was salvage title). Yeah, pass. I would go up to 5.5k may be, but 7? I can find a clean title for 8 in another state.

Oh and he said that after DMV fees and parts' costs, 7k was how much he put into this salvage title he got. Lol if true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
cruiser people are real fuckin nutso when it comes to appraising bikes and spending money on them

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Listen pal my harley that I bought 20 years ago is still worth the $50,000 I bought it for! Im still paying off the loan for christsakes!!!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Listen pal my harley that I bought 20 years ago is still worth the $50,000 I bought it for! Im still paying off the loan for christsakes!!!

I think at that point you can call it a mortgage.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

cruiser people are real fuckin nutso when it comes to appraising bikes and spending money on them

When I was buying my bike earlier this year, I spent a lot of time on CL, and looked at a lot of cruisers. I ran into several instances where people were posting literal screenshots from Nadaguides or KBB where they had circled the original MSRP, to claim that that was what the bike was worth. Some were even asking for more than MSRP. In hindsight, I really wish I'd contacted some of them, if only to mess with them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I figure that to most of them a motorcycle is just another collectible. Always keep it in a hermetically-sealed weatherproof enclosure, polish it every week, only use it once in a blue moon for like half an hour when the weather is perfect, plan to sell it when it's a "classic" for twice what you paid.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
This is why I usually filter out "custom" when I'm bored and searching the bike listings on Craigslist. 99.999% of the time a bike listed as custom will be listed for thousands more than what it's actually worth; if some moron with lovely taste and no financial literacy dropped five figures on chrome and airbrushing, it's guaranteed he thinks everyone else will see his awesome creation and immediately want to pay more than retail for it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Soo, remember that comedy option of an old 125 road trail? On a whim I posted a Want ad on Gumtree, and finally had a bite this week on a running CT125. On Friday it seemed like the guy was going to flake, but to my surprise he got back to me and decided he'd sell it in the end. He says the brakes are basically inoperative, inside of petrol tank will need a clean (thinking of swapping it out for something bigger anyways), and I can see from the pics it'll need a couple small pieces like indicators, chain guard, luggage rack* etc for rego. The fact it's running and an easy bike to work on are big points in its favour though, plus owner can deliver on a trailer. It looks like it'll be a relatively inexpensive and manageable project.

* The CT125 is a parts-bin bike, but the luggage rack is one of the few unique pieces and something I'd really like to have for commuting/camping. OTOH, I am looking into sourcing an XL125 swingarm (I think it will likely bolt right up) and swapping that out so I get passenger footpegs, which would require a longer seat/different rack anyways. Owner says wiring for lights is all there, at least.

The other (completely different) option is this partly disassembled '88 Transalp, which has apparently been sitting like this in a shed since '04. The seller is asking AU$1000, is complete and probably 'running when parked' (I assume he drained the fluids and stuff when he got ready to take it apart, but still waiting to hear back on that). There is some light surface rust, which is what he started taking it apart to get at, but then lost interest. Comes with some NiB minor replacement bits: indicators, fork seal boots, oil filter, etc - seems like he genuinely was going to do the resto, and from the pic it looks to have been supported from the centre to take weight off the tyres, so seems like he probably had at least some idea of what he was doing (still gonna replace the tyres due to age though).

What, if anything could I do to test out how buggered it may/may not be without being able to start it? My worry would be something like a seized piston or some other kind of high-order failure.

I am not super experienced mechanically but am looking to buy these bikes to learn - the CT125 is kind of going to be my warm-up and hopefully a confidence builder (I've owned/done work on a similarly-sized two-stroke, and it doesn't look to need much), the Transalp will definitely be more challenging and expensive, but if I can get the seller to knock a bit off the price, I think it might be worth having a go at. I know it's an old bike, but that is actually a selling point for me - it'll be eligible for half-price rego as a classic next year, and I've had a soft spot for those for a long time (and the OG Africa Twins, but good luck finding one of those outside of Japan/EU) . Ideally I'd buy the CT first, see how that goes, and see how I feel about the Transalp, but they're both pretty uncommon to find for sale around here, and fit my weird niche interests perfectly. I could actually see myself keeping both - longer-term I want to get a van or 4WD for camping, and having the CT on one of those hitch racks would make for a great runabout, with the Transalp for shorter, bike-only trips.

May not have to do all the work alone: from Feb I will have access to a shop/tools and possibly even some free labour. Alternatively, if I was close to getting it roadworthy before then but hit a brick wall in terms of my skills, not averse to taking it to a shop to finish off, but my goal is to keep Transalp budget to within ~AU$3k or so. Does this seem entirely implausible given how long it's sat and my skill level, or maybe doable?

edit:

owner posted:

Engine/carbs are original, havn’t done anything to it and I can’t tell you more about it. All fluids are still in, I basically didn’t touch the engine at all.

How bad is this probably gonna be?

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 3, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made a thing for you, and anyone else looking at project bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holly poo poo is that a 125 v-twin :aaa: nope I'm just retarded.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 3, 2017

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

Holly poo poo is that a 125 v-twin :aaa: nope I'm just retarded.

Nah, you are doing a mashup of the two bikes!

The 125 is pretty easy - running, just needs a few minor things for inspection.

The Transalp has been sitting for 13 years... I'd assumed the PO prepped it for storeage in terms of draining carbs, etc, but am glad I checked - he hadn't. What could I do to make sure nothing catastrophic had happened in the interim, without being able to start the bike?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Nah, you are doing a mashup of the two bikes!

The 125 is pretty easy - running, just needs a few minor things for inspection.

The Transalp has been sitting for 13 years... I'd assumed the PO prepped it for storeage in terms of draining carbs, etc, but am glad I checked - he hadn't. What could I do to make sure nothing catastrophic had happened in the interim, without being able to start the bike?

Pull the plugs and put some oil in. Wait a bit. See if the cylinders move by putting a wrench on the sprocket in 5th gear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wrt transalp: You'd have to take the plugs out, dribble oil into each cylinder, turn it over (using a timing plug if possible but with the back wheel if need be) compression test etc, change the oil probably the plugs, check the fork seals, tighten/lube head bearings, ditto chain grips basically anything rubber/fluid/wear on the bike.

IMO the main thing to realise here is the unstated assumption by both parties of this sale is that all of the work to get it going again, all the gamble and potential monetary/emotional damage, is included in the price. That is what makes a not going project worth less in the first place.

I have seen situations where people have paid me actual money to tell them everything that is wrong/needs doing on a bike, agreeing to a complicated arrangement of mutual mistrust with the seller. When a seemingly tidy looking bike turns out to have a bunch of issues tears are shed, names are called and I get to be a cackling capitalist pig. Nearly nobody takes care of their bike IMO, most of the people on this forum are shining examples of good maintenance and nowhere near representational of irl.

Spend the money because you can afford to, dive in and learn some poo poo, or don't. It's really fun, fixing bikes and riding bikes are like two halves of a huge puzzle that keeps getting bigger as you learn.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

builds character posted:

Pull the plugs and put some oil in. Wait a bit. See if the cylinders move by putting a wrench on the sprocket in 5th gear.

Slavvy posted:

Wrt transalp: You'd have to take the plugs out, dribble oil into each cylinder, turn it over (using a timing plug if possible but with the back wheel if need be) compression test etc, change the oil probably the plugs, check the fork seals, tighten/lube head bearings, ditto chain grips basically anything rubber/fluid/wear on the bike.

IMO the main thing to realise here is the unstated assumption by both parties of this sale is that all of the work to get it going again, all the gamble and potential monetary/emotional damage, is included in the price. That is what makes a not going project worth less in the first place.

I have seen situations where people have paid me actual money to tell them everything that is wrong/needs doing on a bike, agreeing to a complicated arrangement of mutual mistrust with the seller. When a seemingly tidy looking bike turns out to have a bunch of issues tears are shed, names are called and I get to be a cackling capitalist pig. Nearly nobody takes care of their bike IMO, most of the people on this forum are shining examples of good maintenance and nowhere near representational of irl.

Spend the money because you can afford to, dive in and learn some poo poo, or don't. It's really fun, fixing bikes and riding bikes are like two halves of a huge puzzle that keeps getting bigger as you learn.

Thanks for that!

So after getting the oil in, put it in 5th and try to move it back and forth? Would a compression test be worth doing in that case? I don't have the tool but can likely snag it from work assuming they've got the 12mm adapter. Would it be best practice to bring enough fresh oil that I can drain what he has in there (as best I can, given the bike will be cold and oil is old AF), or is it fine to just leave it as is for now?

I have offered him $500-800 for it pending me going up there to check it out (it'll be a separate trip up with trailer-having friend if I decide to go ahead with it) - we'll see what he says.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I made a thing for you, and anyone else looking at project bikes

Put this in the OP.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

All riders are. Renthal bar and a FMF spazcore and a Rekluse don't add poo poo to your rapped out YZ.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Most other BMWs made from 1970-2000ish will go 200k miles and if they haven't been taken care of it'll be obvious when you see them.

My wife's Rbike has 80k now and it looks better than my Ape with 13k.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Transalp seems to have been sold... good luck to whomever got it!

So, negotiation question:

I drove out an hour to go look at the CT125, which was in worse shape than pics/description led me to believe (rear brake is partially seized 'probably from riding on the beach', brake lever curled forward at a 45 degree angle somehow, no ignition/key, etc). Wasn't starting either; had spark and compression so assuming it's a carbie issue. Petrol in it is a year old, FWIW... we drained it and filled it with some 1:100 since that was all he had handy. When he answered my want ad initially, he said he was asking $600 and 'pretty firm'. Bike is missing all indicators and a few other important things, plus it'll need at least new tyres, sprockets/chain, etc.

He said he'd tinker with it over the next few days and see if he can get it running, asked if I'd still be interested in it as a non-runner. I said maybe in the $300-400 range (this includes delivery, I'd value at around $75-100).

Looking at other bikes around the country (granted, not a lot of ads), that may be too high. $400 should get me a running bike with only a few minor issues/parts missing. I have actually managed to find a guy willing to post me a big box of parts for pretty cheap (have not told seller this), this will help a lot, but if I hadn't, would be a lot of additional nickle-and-diming there. It'll still be at least another $600 for consumables and other misc. I am thinking of linking him those ads and offering something like $250 for it as-is, $400 if it's running with no major issues.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact this thing may be worth more to the guy as a bush-basher (even though I think he already has a running DR) than it would be to me as a resto project. Any particular way you guys might couch it to sway him towards getting this thing out of his shed and into my life?

I wouldn't normally agonise over buying such a marginal bike, but they are really rare down here, would probably be another 3-6 months before I found another one, and I may be too busy with work then to do much with it. Since Tasmania's an island, getting one even from Melbourne where they crop up more often (closest city on the mainland, is a daily ferry service) would cost me $500+ in transport, which pretty much kills any deal. Don't think seller's particularly aware of what a rare bike it is, but OTOH I wouldn't say they're super in-demand.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Put this in the OP.

I've lived in a house with a garage for like a year and am friends with a professional bike mechanic. I keep having others things to buy than a bike that doesn't even run, but if not now, when.