Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

What are you basing that on though? No one's really done any proper research into the subject because it's incredibly unpopular.

It's just my opinion mostly informed by a stand-up routine I saw where the comedian said pedos know the consequences of their behavior but they do it anyway so loving a kid must be amazing that they risk everything to do it.

e: Er, I just remembered it was Louis CK. Um...

e2: basically I think there needs to be some form of medication involved. Maybe voluntary castration plus something that alters your depression or whatever.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just my opinion mostly informed by a stand-up routine I saw where the comedian said pedos know the consequences of their behavior but they do it anyway so loving a kid must be amazing that they risk everything to do it.

e: Er, I just remembered it was Louis CK. Um...

e2: basically I think there needs to be some form of medication involved. Maybe voluntary castration plus something that alters your depression or whatever.

I think that's (the castration) a little harsh if they have never acted on their urges yet. I don't think many would volunteer for that. If medication works then sure I'd support that, but that has to be proven to be effective and as mentioned not many people are interested in researching that topic.

It's the kind of thing where most people would agree that treatment and punishment for sex offenders could be improved, but since the crimes in question are so heinous/gross to everyone but other pedophiles, nobody is ever going to put in the effort to help them.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Military PTSD is just karma

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's too harsh. Maybe make chemical castration an option for registered sex offenders. If they volunteer then they can keep the felony on their record but it wipes out the the part about being a pedo. And require regular checkups obviously with a therapist. At least gives them a chance to re-enter society.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

exmarx posted:

Military PTSD is just karma

That is certainly a unpopular opinion.

Also it is a stupid one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

that's the thing

the absence of pleasure, no matter how great, isn't pain so at the end of the day people who do offend aren't entirely unwilling victims of their own biology coerced into committing a crime against their will; the act of following through on an impulse just to gain a rush was a conscious, deliberate decision that still should be treated as such in courts of law so i can see how hard it is for people making decisions about these people to walk the line between holding someone to account for what they did while acknowledging there's an underlying cause that led to this situation that requires treatment, if possible

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Contrary to popular belief, chemical castration doesn't work at all. It increases both recitivism and the severity of the crime.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I prefer not to be referred to by any pronouns

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Caufman posted:

I prefer not to be referred to by any pronouns
And yet here we are. Sorry, here these two are.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just do the royal thing and refer to yourself in plural.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collateral Damage posted:

Just do the royal thing and refer to yourself in plural.

Randaconda only refers to himself in the third-person.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I know there are some drugs (anti-depressants?) that as a side effect basically kill a person's sex drive. Wouldn't creating a drug that specifically does that (like on purpose instead of a side effect) be something that could work on pedophiles? Granted then you are dealing with whether or not people are taking their meds but it seems like a less extreme option than castration. Plus it could work on people with sex addiction too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

I know there are some drugs (anti-depressants?) that as a side effect basically kill a person's sex drive. Wouldn't creating a drug that specifically does that (like on purpose instead of a side effect) be something that could work on pedophiles? Granted then you are dealing with whether or not people are taking their meds but it seems like a less extreme option than castration. Plus it could work on people with sex addiction too.

I think the problem some would have with that is that, ideally, only the sex drive directed at children should be eliminated, not the sex drive entirely. It's kind of like cutting a thief's hands off - yeah it will work, but it's a bit of an extreme option that negatively impacts things aside from their desire to steal stuff/ diddle kids. A more targeted treatment would be preferable, but probably pretty unlikely to ever be developed.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

it's kind of like cutting a thief's hands off - yeah it will work

Really, it will work? :thunk:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Really, it will work? :thunk:

Well I guess you could still steal stuff with your feet or mouth but it would be a lot harder to be subtle about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For the most part part, political parties are basically cults.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mannish Boy is an exceptionally overrated song.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m amazed that no one has just gone for the “kill the pedos before they commit the crime” suggestion. Happily so, but surprised nonetheless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not an unpopular opinion in the civilized world but jesus gently caress anything by Alan Moore is loving DWARFED by Goscinny there's literally not even any competition.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
how dare you even imply Goscinny and Alan Moore are in the same professional category, that is like comparing a symphonic orchestra cellist to a drunk guy who blows into a jug at the street corner.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

how dare you even imply Goscinny and Alan Moore are in the same professional category, that is like comparing a symphonic orchestra cellist to a drunk guy who blows into a jug at the street corner.

Im pretty sure the jug guy might also be Alan Moore

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Im pretty sure the jug guy might also be Alan Moore

I thought it was clear the jug guy WAS alan moore

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I think the problem some would have with that is that, ideally, only the sex drive directed at children should be eliminated, not the sex drive entirely. It's kind of like cutting a thief's hands off - yeah it will work, but it's a bit of an extreme option that negatively impacts things aside from their desire to steal stuff/ diddle kids. A more targeted treatment would be preferable, but probably pretty unlikely to ever be developed.

Honeypot, but I have a tremendously low sex drive and I prefer it that way. I've had to counsel a lot of friends through good relationships with bad sex and bad relationships with good sex. Lotta terrible decision-making borne from horniness.

Having one less urge to dictate your life is a boon. And that's my unpopular opinion! :toot:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not an unpopular opinion in the civilized world but jesus gently caress anything by Alan Moore is loving DWARFED by Goscinny there's literally not even any competition.

Lol Goscinny was loving trash. Comparing him to Alan Moore, probably the best comics writer ever.

lol
just
lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
- Kvetching about capitalism is stupid. I get it, there's problems with it, but you're only reminding me of that episode of TNG where Q's suggestion to fix a problem is some outlandish thing that the Enterprise can't do*.

- Kinda general, but the "I can't understand why {thing} is popular" needs to stop. 999 times out of a thousand, it's completely understandable why {thing} is popular. Maybe you don't like it, whatever, but it's not rocket science why, say, superheroes movies get butts in the seats. You're not winning points for being non-mainstream, you're just missing out.

* I'm aware that the resolution of that episode is "why not kinda do the Impossible Solution", but it's still the same Impossible Solution.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

probably the best comics writer ever.

the biggest dwarf

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

- Kvetching about capitalism is stupid. I get it, there's problems with it, but you're only reminding me of that episode of TNG where Q's suggestion to fix a problem is some outlandish thing that the Enterprise can't do*.

i too am sufficiently comfortably numb and sheltered that i am too lazy to spend two minutes conceptualizing any form of change, so i just assume this is the best of all possible worlds

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

steinrokkan posted:

i too am sufficiently comfortably numb and sheltered that i am too lazy to spend two minutes conceptualizing any form of change, so i just assume this is the best of all possible worlds

Perhaps, but reading the history of the USSR reminds me that it could be so much worse.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Unpopular Actor Opinions:

Bruce Campbell makes me angry; it's like the Evil Dead director is trying to get away with something, like we're all supposed to go "oh, yeah, that's what a human person looks like, yeah, I buy that", and then he 'acts' and it's all so much worse than you could imagine. He's awful at everything he does, and not even in a charming way, and everyone tells me I am the one with a bad opinion because it's just campy fun but fuuuuuuck why not do camp with someone who looks like a person and can act instead. :(

Similarly Eddie Redmayne, who I don't hate but pity, as he has a permanent look and feel of "please lower your voice, you're scaring me, I'm panicky, about to cry", no matter what scene he is doing or what emotion it calls for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody said it's the best, it's merely the least bad of the systems that have been tried so far.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Have you fine folk heard of taxes, regulation, social democracy and worker's rights? :coolfish:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Nobody said it's the best, it's merely the least bad of the systems that have been tried so far.

This very second there exist dozens of complete systems that are more humane than American model of capitalism, and while they are still within the capitalist framework, Mr. Bibs cavalierly proclaimed it's not worth the hassle to even attempt improvements within the constraints of the system because even a moderate reform is too much like an Impossible Solution, whatever that means.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yeah trophy hunting is indefensible, even moreso if it's an endangered species.

trophy hunting isn't all that bad, almost all of the money spent on trophy hunts is then used to support conservation and the money gives locals a reason to give a poo poo about actually those animals because otherwise they would likely be dangerous to people and livestock. Now if you're poaching get hosed but hunting is fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Elfgames posted:

trophy hunting isn't all that bad, almost all of the money spent on trophy hunts is then used to support conservation and the money gives locals a reason to give a poo poo about actually those animals because otherwise they would likely be dangerous to people and livestock. Now if you're poaching get hosed but hunting is fine.

I don't think hunting something that is endangered should ever be allowed, otherwise what's the point of classifying them as endangered? The money being used for conservation does make it less bad, but I don't think the people doing it really give a poo poo about that, they just want to say they killed a bigass elephant/rhino/lion. I guess it would have been more accurate to say that most trophy hunters aren't great people even if what they do does a little bit of good.

Honestly the best solution would be to sell equally expensive poacher hunting licenses where you can murder some people with no legal repercussions if you can prove they were poaching. Yeah you would get mostly crazy people who just want to kill somebody, but they'd be doing more good than trophy hunters are now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I don't think hunting something that is endangered should ever be allowed, otherwise what's the point of classifying them as endangered?

Endangered populations need to be managed precisely because they are endangered. Sometimes an animal that can't contribute to the species, so to speak, is simultaneously a danger to others specimens, or prevents other specimens from flourishing. The people who do the actual shooting for trophies are sociopaths, but the people who pick their targets are preservationists, at least they should be, and their work is legitimate. Of course all human activity is open to corruption.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

steinrokkan posted:

The people who do the actual shooting for trophies are sociopaths

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quad posted:

Bruce Campbell makes me angry; it's like the Evil Dead director is trying to get away with something, like we're all supposed to go "oh, yeah, that's what a human person looks like, yeah, I buy that", and then he 'acts' and it's all so much worse than you could imagine. He's awful at everything he does, and not even in a charming way, and everyone tells me I am the one with a bad opinion because it's just campy fun but fuuuuuuck why not do camp with someone who looks like a person and can act instead. :(

Similarly Eddie Redmayne, who I don't hate but pity, as he has a permanent look and feel of "please lower your voice, you're scaring me, I'm panicky, about to cry", no matter what scene he is doing or what emotion it calls for.

Bruce Campbell doesn’t look like a person?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quad posted:

Bruce Campbell owns

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Quad posted:

Everything about this post angers me but I will respect your right to hold these opinions.

His jawline is amazing, though. That is objective fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MisterBibs posted:

- Kinda general, but the "I can't understand why {thing} is popular" needs to stop. 999 times out of a thousand, it's completely understandable why {thing} is popular. Maybe you don't like it, whatever, but it's not rocket science why, say, superheroes movies get butts in the seats. You're not winning points for being non-mainstream, you're just missing out.

* I'm aware that the resolution of that episode is "why not kinda do the Impossible Solution", but it's still the same Impossible Solution.

Yeah man I'm really missing out on those grand artistic statements of the marvel movies.