Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Vaulters are infinitely more boring and whitebread than the weird ecopunk industrialist tree artisan elves!

e: also the Eusocial heroes give me a bit of a Morgawr vibe

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I will fight you on this!
-> The vaulters, despite being 'Human', have the cool and fun technophile mechanics, holy resources, teleporting armies etc. And their storyline isn't completely awful and makes sense in the greater universe. Also I giggled a bit at Viking Space Marines with crossbows, they're actually kinda rad.
-> Compared to the 'Elves', whose shtick is... they get +1 industry? (Seriously, even vaulters got +1science!) Oh, and they get to see armies in the fog of war if they wander too close. Their quest/storyline is that they like building a really tall building. Jesus that's pathetic.

If Vaulters wheren't explicityly human and the elves' ears where less pointy, we all know who would be Vanilla newbie race. Oh wait it's explicity said at every step of the way that the elves are the boring mechanic-less race. With nearly no fluff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The elves are very conservative as a species, and their story is about being dragged kicking and screaming out of the forest and into the modern civilized world.
Who cares about their gameplay bonuses?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mymla posted:

The elves are very conservative as a species, and their story is about being dragged kicking and screaming out of the forest and into the modern civilized world.
Who cares about their gameplay bonuses?

well, it's a game, so I'd guess most people who care about them at all?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah sure, while playing the game, but not when looking at the game's story.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Who cares about mechanics? People who play the game? I mean, whether or not you care about the Cultists being insane nihilists who ironically have a bone to pick with their creators, you can still appreciate that they had a very cool playstyle. The elves' backstory is a trivial little blurb you get before getting your first turn, and has absolutely no relevance to them as a playable faction. That 'story' ended instantly and their actual ingame quests was all about building a big tower, for reasons. If you feel that being conscientious objectors who happens to have pointy ears is a more interesting setup than Gilligan's Isle Spaceship Castaways, sure that's fine. But the Elves where boring as gently caress and didn't do anything interesting, either in quest-fluff or in-game, so we should all applaud their demise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, UE appears the most vanilla faction in ES2, but at the same time they're completely loving unhinged as long as you get 2 settlable systems relatively near your home system.

I thought I'd like riftborn best because their mechanics and tropes are right up my alley, but nope, it's UE, the at first glance blandest faction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the actual blandest faction are lumeris

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Riftborn were the successors to ES coolest faction, the Sowers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do you guys edit your race in ES2 or just play vanilla? A big reason I liked ES1 so much was the ability to make crazy modified races that are super specialized or generalized or whatever you wanted.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Flipswitch posted:

Riftborn were the successors to ES coolest faction, the Sowers.

Yeah, they're really good, my only problem is with their terraforming. If you get a snow/ice/arctic/barren planet you're hosed out of getting it to a hot climate, which is annoying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you guys edit your race in ES2 or just play vanilla? A big reason I liked ES1 so much was the ability to make crazy modified races that are super specialized or generalized or whatever you wanted.

I generally play with vanilla ones because the game is easy enough as is in single player, and for multiplayer there's always one combo that's way better than the rest so that's not very fun either.

Also working around your weak points is usually more fun than just patching them out.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mymla posted:

Yeah sure, while playing the game, but not when looking at the game's story.

the mechanics are a large part of what makes a faction memorable, the story on its own is good for a 4x story but that's about all I can say for it

e: not that the story doesn't matter, generally the most memorable factions will be ones with interesting distinctive mechanics that are strongly tied into the faction's theme

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 21, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ok but when you actually look at the lore and mechanics of the Wild Walkers they are literally a society of druid-tradespeople who fuse pure pragmatic industrialism, sustainable green policies, and outright fantasy nature magic and live in towering tree-citadels in which cabals of hide-clad shamans work hand-in-hand with modern labour unions to create giant walking tree tanks.

If you don't think that's loving dope as poo poo, I don't even know what to tell you. I honestly think they only seem bland in comparison to the gloriously off-the-wall poo poo that EL's crammed to the gills with (which, in fairness, can be said of the Generic Xenophobic Science Humans as well).

Their mechanics are admittedly fairly milquetoast, but someone has to be the easily accessible pure industry faction in this complicated-rear end game.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ok but when you actually look at the lore and mechanics of the Wild Walkers they are literally a society of druid-tradespeople who fuse pure pragmatic industrialism, sustainable green policies, and outright fantasy nature magic and live in towering tree-citadels in which cabals of hide-clad shamans work hand-in-hand with modern labour unions to create giant walking tree tanks.

If you don't think that's loving dope as poo poo, I don't even know what to tell you. I honestly think they only seem bland in comparison to the gloriously off-the-wall poo poo that EL's crammed to the gills with (which, in fairness, can be said of the Generic Xenophobic Science Humans as well).

Their mechanics are admittedly fairly milquetoast, but someone has to be the easily accessible pure industry faction in this complicated-rear end game.

I think none of that is worth very much if you don't feel it in-game. like I said, EL's writing is good as 4x backstories go, but it's not nearly good enough to stand up on its own

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think none of that is worth very much if you don't feel it in-game. like I said, EL's writing is good as 4x backstories go, but it's not nearly good enough to stand up on its own

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. I think EL is probably the only 4X other than, like, Alpha Centauri that had ever gotten me genuinely interested in its lore and setting and sent me down the rabbit hole of reading all the descriptions and flavour text and whatnot.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
In ES2, what exactly happens when you colonize a new system? I see it eats manpower, how about food? Dust? If food , where does it come from?

While I'm at it, is food used for anything once a system is maxxed out? Should I just tear down food producing buildings then? I'm so confused....

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Assuming you're talking about the outpost phase of colonising, it takes food from your nearest established system. It should mention this when you hover over that systems food production (can't remember if you can see which system is being taken from in the outpost screen).

Food production after filling all your pop slots is only of use for other nearby outposts or for regrowing pop that you send elsewhere (you unlock this ability after you've upgraded a system for the second time).

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks. So does amount of food production in the system adjacent to the outpost matter? If it is making a ton, does this affect speed of outpost growth?

In general is there any reason not to colonize everything I see ASAP?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
You start getting approval maluses if you colonize too may systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Helion posted:

In general is there any reason not to colonize everything I see ASAP?
I learned the hard way that it pulls a minimum amount of food regardless of how much it produces, I think? Because I had negative pop growth in my home system when I set up an outpost right away the one time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

You start getting approval maluses if you colonize too may systems.

Note that you get some techs later on that are "+n systems before maluses kick in", and the last one is just "level 4 colonies give +1 colonized systems", so if you don't exactly build a settler every 3 turns, you can keep on expanding forever (as long as you didn't gently caress yourself on luxury resource choices :v:)

Also, on food after a system is maxed:

This comes from a building for one of the late game techs. "Food converted to Industry when population is at max.". It's incredibly powerful for ecologists especially, since it converts at 1:1.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do you upgrade systems? Is it automatic?

What does upgrading systems do for you?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can "upgrade" systems to level 2 once you unlock tier 3 of the right side on the science wheel. Some buildings are "+x per system level", also they get a spaceport and you can then ship pops to other worlds (or through pirate ambushes to kill them).

You select upgrades on the economy screen, and you need to spend some luxury resources, which also give bonuses to the system, either per pop or just a flat bonus. Different resources give different bonuses, but you'll rarely have access to good ones :v:

Max system level is 4, and you queue it just like any building, but it doesn't take industry to build, just 1/2/3 turns depending on level (so leveling a new colony up quickly can get you a ton of industry if you have industry luxury resources which is great for starting them real quick).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Upgrading systems is unlocked by researching the right side of the tech tree (doesn't matter what you research, you just have to reach a certain tier). You then have to click on the economy tab (the pile of coins icon) and then on the system development button. You then choose a luxury resource to upgrade with. Choose something you have the most of, generally. After you've done that, you can build the system upgrade in the production queue. It always takes set amount of turns to complete, regardless of production.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Oh I had been using that upgrade thing but didn't understand it was upgrading system level.

Thanks

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Truga posted:

Also, on food after a system is maxed:

This comes from a building for one of the late game techs. "Food converted to Industry when population is at max.". It's incredibly powerful for ecologists especially, since it converts at 1:1.

Forgot about that tech, should come in handy in my Unfallen game :getin:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Is it worth it to pay $5 more for the ES2 digital deluxe edition? It looks like it just has some cosmetic additions and the soundtrack as mp3. Is there anything else to it?

I didn't have time for the free play weekend but I played the hell out of ES and honestly loved the game in spite of all its flaws (which are many) so I'm fine with just dropping $20 or $25 on ES2 before the sale ends tomorrow.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Is it normal for the militarists to be in control of the senate because of all the warships being built? It feels like I need to burn influence for the other factions to even get a shot at the senate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Overminty posted:

Forgot about that tech, should come in handy in my Unfallen game :getin:

The problem with that tech is that it comes so late that you've already won the game by then. It might make the last stretch go faster, but it also might slow it down by the number of turns it takes to research and build it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Danann posted:

Is it normal for the militarists to be in control of the senate because of all the warships being built? It feels like I need to burn influence for the other factions to even get a shot at the senate.

Yes. Keeping the Militarists from taking over during a build up or break out of war is one of the ES2's biggest challenges.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The whole colonisation thing really highlights what a pain this game is to learn. (Much as I like it.)
You have to build a settler ship, and stick it on a planet you have the tech to colonise, then make sure pirates and enemies don't eat the little food ships that get sent out, and click the double-arrow symbol on the colony to make sure they're being sent from the right planet, and choose the outpost options to speed things up, and eventually the planet will be yours, probably, at which point you'll realise that the extra planet has pushed your approval over the edge and the extra population has increased the Influence cost of one of your shiny Laws too much and now you can't trade with anyone.
Unless you're Unfallen or Lumeris or Vods or whatever...
On that note, I'm okay with the Walkers having more generic mechanics. They were an important part of the learning process for me!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yes. Keeping the Militarists from taking over during a build up or break out of war is one of the ES2's biggest challenges.
Whats wrong with that and how does it happen?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
War is an intrinsic part of any 4X game, and having literally all of your prior long-term planning/synergies get shoved aside since you dared to make a warship sucks. The free weekend's expired, but one thing bugs me: why would you ever choose Dictatorship and it's lovely bonus'? Do you literally get to pick which faction is in control, no elections?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Serephina posted:

War is an intrinsic part of any 4X game, and having literally all of your prior long-term planning/synergies get shoved aside since you dared to make a warship sucks. The free weekend's expired, but one thing bugs me: why would you ever choose Dictatorship and it's lovely bonus'? Do you literally get to pick which faction is in control, no elections?

Yes. Though it's generally not worth it as noted - people still have opinions and if the party you choose diverges too far it's very easy to fall into massive unhappiness penalties. The Cravers have a special version of it called Autocracy that's wayyy better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dictatorships are okay for the Horatio too, since everyone has the same opinion at all times. It's not really something that's ever worth switching to though.

Edit: For those that don't know, Dictatorships let you directly choose the party in power, but it still "votes" to determine unhappiness penalties. Basically if you choose an unpopular party then your people start a revolt.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

sophons quest "those darn kids" can I just build detector ships for ten turns? I already built all the science buildings. Can I literally build nothing in my 3 colonies that aren't building the one single legendary research building for ten turns? What the hell kind of quest is this? It's horseshit and impossible to do unless you read a guide and know it's coming and don't research a single goddamn research building ahead of time and also have every single possible research building researched also you don't have any colonies building when it might pop up.

Four colonies doing nothing but building research buildings for ten goddamn turns or I fail. What the hell?

e: Well, okay, building literally nothing in three colonies for six turns counts. As long as I don't colonize a planet or build some greenhouses they're fine. Doing literally nothing won't fail the mission.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 22, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm in the second part of the academy quest and half of my four member alliance went religious, the other half science. There's no way I'm breaking out of my alliance (the galaxy is basically in a 4v4 of good guys vs bad) just to drive some leaders onto lodestones for some dumb quest.

I guess this means the AI will just leave lesser fleets orbiting the sites uselessly until I conquer every capital planet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If my biggest criticism of Endless Legend was the fact that the AI was really bad and the combat system was really obtuse (stopped playing before the expansions came out), will I enjoy ES2?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Azran posted:

If my biggest criticism of Endless Legend was the fact that the AI was really bad and the combat system was really obtuse (stopped playing before the expansions came out), will I enjoy ES2?

No.

Im loving the new update personally though! Proper pirates give you a bit more challenge for a nice little reward early on. The games crazy complex for the explanation it gives but gets simple once youve played long enough. It could do with fleshed out mechanics and story maybe. And always better ai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Endless Legend is on sale on Steam if anyone was like me and was waiting for a sale.