Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Europe consistently evolves into a burning hellscape nowadays.

Notes:

- Pannonia and Poland are the successor states to a Catholic Empire of Carpathia that lasted 50 years before exploding
- The Germanic faith reformed circa 810 and is now the dominant faith of northern and eastern Europe
- I have no loving idea how the HRE happened
- Catholic Moral Authority = 0
- Note Bulgaria ruling from Croatia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm super tempted to secretly convert to Jewish from a concubine as a Taoist; that religion sure is all the dullness of Jain with none of the flavour. No pilgrimages, no holy orders, one choice to ~pick a school~ (All of which have drawbacks unlike the other religious traits) and the only society is hermetics, which while good are not the be all end all here.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can't remember how to play this but here's my map from the early start so far

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Europe consistently evolves into a burning hellscape nowadays.

Notes:

- Pannonia and Poland are the successor states to a Catholic Empire of Carpathia that lasted 50 years before exploding
- The Germanic faith reformed circa 810 and is now the dominant faith of northern and eastern Europe
- I have no loving idea how the HRE happened
- Catholic Moral Authority = 0
- Note Bulgaria ruling from Croatia

I've seen Suomonesko reform since Jade Dragon. I think it's the new ambition to raise religious authority - just building temples and winning a few Minor Holy Wars is enough to boost it by close to 10 points, and if you have several rulers doing it you get up to the required level to reform without controlling four Holy Sites.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
So I finally managed to turn the kingdom of Khotan into the Qi Empire with Chinese Imperialism but I'm struck with a problem.. I always play small starts and generally never get to an empire so I have no idea how to manage a large realm. I have super dukes running roughshod over my territory expanding in every direction and generally getting really pissy with me and I have no idea how to fix this other than wait for viceroyalties and then begin the Forever Civil War to strip them one by one to replace them with generated courtiers. Are there any guidelines for doing something about this once you get past duke stage?

Oh, also! A picture of the absolute disaster that is the world in 1100 after playing from the Charlie start.

Every few years, pagans try to great holy war for Poland and fail spectacularly.

Leafy Wall fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 22, 2017

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

That's uhh, quite a scary France.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I had a Jarl vassal who, by the time I sacrificed him in a Blot, had eaten every one of his 14 children.
I guess they were just too delicious to worry about things like 'succession'.

"I know I shouldn't..... Ohhhh, just ONE more couldn't hurt."

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011

Just look at that poo poo.

Other highlights are that Shia has taken over the Middle East, the Abysinnians briefly made an appearance at Azov, and the Seljuks arrived and were promptly murdered by the Shia.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sorry about your daughter but that lady looks rad as hell.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leafy Wall posted:

Oh, also! A picture of the absolute disaster that is the world in 1100 after playing from the Charlie start.

Are the Karens in that picture still Zoroastrian?

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Nope! Zunists and Zoroastrians have been dead as hell for the past 50 or so years. I think those Karens were steppe hordes fleeing the Red Menace.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DisgracelandUSA posted:

That's uhh, quite a scary France.

That France is the reason you save up 5,000 Grace and then get the Chinese to murder them.

Laugh maniacally as 150,000 super-troops march and inflict Maximum Balkans on Europe.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

That France is the reason you save up 5,000 Grace and then get the Chinese to murder them.

Laugh maniacally as 150,000 super-troops march and inflict Maximum Balkans on Europe.

One thing I kind of wish was included with the new CBs was a "balkanization" one that has the same effect as a called Chinese invasion, but usable by players. Obviously it'd have to have fairly strict requirements but there really aren't any great ways to do this to opponents without just taking over huge amounts of their territory yourself and releasing it all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

My court physicians are insane why are they so obsessed with amputation as a cure for food poisoning? I mean for some things yeah I can see the logic but "Milord you've got food poisoning *gouges out an eye*" followed by a DIFFERENT court physician two years later going "Milord you've got food poisoning *chops off a hand*".

Things were better in my dad's day. His doctor gave him a fat blunt and it immediately, on the spot, cured his dysentery and made him a poet.

Well to be fair they only go for the amputation when your response to "You're sick, m'lord" is "try whatever crazy poo poo you want on me, I don't even care". Which makes a certain amount of sense from someone with terminal cancer or leprosy but less when they've got a stomach ache. Hey though, if the King says crazy we're doing crazy, get the axe.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm super tempted to secretly convert to Jewish from a concubine as a Taoist; that religion sure is all the dullness of Jain with none of the flavour. No pilgrimages, no holy orders, one choice to ~pick a school~ (All of which have drawbacks unlike the other religious traits) and the only society is hermetics, which while good are not the be all end all here.

It's better that they only have one society because after converting China to Orthodox every loving Imperial Princess has immediately become a satanist and then immediately gotten caught and executed for it. I've got enough grace to keep requesting them so at this point there might as well just be a conveyor belt that brings girls from china, runs them through a pentagram and then drops them on a bonfire.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I was approached by my chancellor about becoming a secret Bon pagan. I joined their secret society, they went "hey we have a king, let's declare ourselves true bon". I was then flooded by a dozen people trying to convert me to pretty much all the religions and eventually ended up Hindu. Hindu sucked so I went Jain, then I remembered Jain was pretty much just Taoism without +2 to grace from same culture/religion... So I went back to Taoism.

What a long, strange trip that was. On the plus side, I was directly responsible for painting a target on the Bon religion and getting it killed off.

edit: Also, Taoism DOES get a holy order! If someone holy wars you, the Western Protectorate comes to your defense with China.

Leafy Wall fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 23, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Taoism also has pilgrimage - kowtowing before a stick figure representing the Son of Heaven.

Also, I just saw a Han adventurer set up a rump state on the southern tip of India. It got immediately destroyed by Sri Lanka.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does usurping a title work again? I'm planning my next course of action; I want to go independent, but my liege, in addition to having his ducal title, has the ducal title for the lands I own. He owns no land there directly; three of the provinces are mine, one is held by Tibet. What conditions do I need to meet to just say "gently caress you, this is my title now"? I remember not being able to usurp titles in the past, but that was when it was their only title of that rank, which obviously won't be a factor here.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

How does usurping a title work again? I'm planning my next course of action; I want to go independent, but my liege, in addition to having his ducal title, has the ducal title for the lands I own. He owns no land there directly; three of the provinces are mine, one is held by Tibet. What conditions do I need to meet to just say "gently caress you, this is my title now"? I remember not being able to usurp titles in the past, but that was when it was their only title of that rank, which obviously won't be a factor here.

I remember there being a rule where you couldn't usurp or create a title of the same rank as your liege but I don't know if that's just for top level lieges or any of them. You also can't poach it if he's at war or if it's his last title and he still has land in it and shares your religion but those don't sound like they're likely to be true.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cock hero flux posted:

I remember there being a rule where you couldn't usurp or create a title of the same rank as your liege but I don't know if that's just for top level lieges or any of them. You also can't poach it if he's at war or if it's his last title and he still has land in it and shares your religion but those don't sound like they're likely to be true.

Oh yeah, he's Sunni and I'm Mazdaki, and he won't have any land in the duchy once I am independent. The main issue is that his continued weakness means he'll almost certainly be at war near-constantly from now on as everyone tries to take a piece of him and more people revolt. Which, on the one hand, his realm balkanizing means easier conquests for me if I can get them first, but it also might make taking that title a bit annoying as the wars will likely be ongoing.

Edit: Scratch that. My liege managed to make the kingdom of Transoxiana, and, despite me having taken Samarkand from him after forging a claim on it and him thus hating my guts, he gave me the duchy of Khuttal. So I'm a duke (or, emir) now. He also managed to recover from the wars he was waging fairly well, so, time to figure out a new course of action. Probably going to keep parasitizing him from within now instead, I suppose.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 23, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, massively disappointing development: After finishing his laboratory and going quite a bit into debt in the process, and before he could become a Magus and write a magnum opus, change the succession laws of his new duchy, or even just finish the book he'd been working on for years, Hashem died. He had over 30 Learning, so he would have done really well at the projects he had if he had been able to finish them, too. I'm now his ten year old son, with my brother having two counties under me. (My sister has nothing because the succession law changed back to agnatic from absolute cognatic when I was given the duchy, which sucks for her but means my realm is less split up I suppose.)

Also, my liege recovered really well; the independence revolt against him failed and he revoked like three counties off that, and a death or two have him more, so now he's fairly powerful. And my current character might end up being too dumb to join the Hermetics, I don't know yet. I should probably keep playing because I don't have a ton of practice in playing from behind, but this is rather demoralizing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 23, 2017

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Roland Jones posted:

And my current character might end up being too dumb to join the Hermetics, I don't know yet. I should probably keep playing because I don't have a ton of practice in playing from behind, but this is rather demoralizing.

He’d have to be pretty stupid, you can get +3 from the learning focus, and the observatory event pays out +1 learning pretty regularly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

I had a Jarl vassal who, by the time I sacrificed him in a Blot, had eaten every one of his 14 children.
I guess they were just too delicious to worry about things like 'succession'.

Did he have an Imperial marriage? You know how it is, an hour after you eat Chinese you feel hungry again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusTorus posted:

He’d have to be pretty stupid, you can get +3 from the learning focus, and the observatory event pays out +1 learning pretty regularly.

Fair point, didn't consider that. Can get some pretty good bonuses there.

I'm still really bummed out about all those unfinished projects, though. I was so close to finishing them. Hashem wasn't even old, he just had a ton of awful things happen to him out of nowhere.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How does tribals turning into republics work? Particularly I did this as ireland, and while my holdings changed to towns as expected, my vassals are still tribals - I was trying to create a republic of republics. :(

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I was disappointed when a Strong son broke my chain of three Genius empresses (still need the achievement :argh: ), but at least he's turned into an Intrigue prodigy, and his Han wife turned out to also be a Strong Intricate Webweaver. Better than that, after we fell in love over our shared interest in plotting and poison, she turned out to be down with the word of our Dark Lord! Now she frequently goes out with me on midnight strolls terrorizing the peasantry, co-hosts feasts to denigrate the priesthood, cucks me with Lucifer while I watch...

Until one fateful outting when a peasant got the jump on her and split her head :negative: To honor her, I made her the centerpiece of the flesh tableau I made of the filthy bog people who took her, and gained the blessing of a prince of Hell: a 20% national tax bonus!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Avalerion posted:

How does tribals turning into republics work? Particularly I did this as ireland, and while my holdings changed to towns as expected, my vassals are still tribals - I was trying to create a republic of republics. :(
Last I remember vassals followed along, I thought it was a specific change in some patch after complaints of it being annoying having to micromanage their holdings for them to get them to turn over later.

I think its event driven, have you run long since the conversion for an event trigger? IE assuming you paused to hit the decision and haven't unpaused yet due to panic of noone else converting.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea a few years later they are still just tribals. Maybe they need to run the event themselves once their towns are build up enough though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought there was a decision you could run that forced your vassals to upgrade.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The wiki claims that tribal vassals can only upgrade to feudalism, even if you're a merchant republic, and will do so automatically as long as they follow an organized religion and have a stone hillfort in their tribe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My last point of reference was a Republic of Sweden run where all my coastal dukes turned into great families which was maybe less than ideal but given the amount of cash Norse can bring in wasn't the worst situation ever. The one or two land locked vassals I had went republic even but we're quickly overthrown/plotted by their own feudal vassals.

The event was meant to mop up anybody who didn't. Thinking in it I am recalling any direct vassal following an organized religion should convert with their liege to prevent the sort of tribal following feudal/merchant lieges that plagued early Charles patch games.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why do you keep asking them for experimental treatments? If it's just the flu or food poisoning, take a well-tested one.

Because my ruler was not a COWARD :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Haven't played this in ages, so much has changed... another wonder! As a catholic duke of sardinia with jewish wife - where do I find the option to convert, or secret convert? That should be an option with the m&m pack, right?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I've had reasonable success with 1066 Lèon of Spain, Ireland, Venice and Apulia. Any suggestions for what ruler to play that's non-catholic? I own all the dlc;. I was thinking about 867 Magyar horde or something else a little weird.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've managed to conquer India, now I'm try to create become Samrat Chakravartin since I do not 'completely control India'. I control not only every province, but my vessels have gobbled up a lot of the surrounding area, and continue to do so. Anyway to check what I'm missing? Do I need every holding on every province as well?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Brown Moses posted:

I've managed to conquer India, now I'm try to create become Samrat Chakravartin since I do not 'completely control India'. I control not only every province, but my vessels have gobbled up a lot of the surrounding area, and continue to do so. Anyway to check what I'm missing? Do I need every holding on every province as well?

There's a view somewhere (I forget where) that highlights everything in a map region. You can use it to see everything the game considers India.

I'm playing as Semien and I'm steamrolling the Miaphysite Christian tribes around me. How do I convert the tribal counties into feudal ones?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a view somewhere (I forget where) that highlights everything in a map region. You can use it to see everything the game considers India.

I'm playing as Semien and I'm steamrolling the Miaphysite Christian tribes around me. How do I convert the tribal counties into feudal ones?

Find title or region does it, just figured it out, but it appears I control all the provinces in India, so does that mean I have to control the holdings too?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Brown Moses posted:

Find title or region does it, just figured it out, but it appears I control all the provinces in India, so does that mean I have to control the holdings too?

Yes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Specifically, if there is a single holding anywhere in India that's not owned by you or one of your direct or indirect vassals (for example, a landed independent holy order or religious head, a stray castle inherited out of your realm, a city owned by a foreign merchant republic) then you'll fail that requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyway to check without checking every single province by clicking on them one by one?

• Locked thread