Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Foglet posted:

It's WFRP 3e that used it.

My bad, you're right there. I never played it so forgot which one it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm sure it'll be just as neat but disappointing as the SWRPG is.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Spiteski posted:

So just found out about Genesys coming from FFG. Does anyone have much on it other than the blurb on the page? Has there been much sneak peek in terms of playtesting or anything?
I'm assuming it's going to be a homogenized version of the same dice system from Star Wars and WHFRP2 but curious if there's any big changes or cool stuff added to it.

The books aren't out yet but from it's sounding like it's the Star Wars RPG without the license.
They've been talking about it a bit on the FFG blog.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

8one6 posted:

The books aren't out yet but from it's sounding like it's the Star Wars RPG without the license.

FFG posted:

From science fiction to fantasy to steampunk, the Genesys Core Rulebook features everything you need to both craft and partake in adventures of all kinds.

...eh, to me it's sounding more like the newest "It only does everything" kitchen sink (up to and including the blandest name possible).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Foglet posted:

...up to and including the blandest name possible...

They named it the Generic system on purpose.
I'm assuming they're going to try to get in on all that sweet GURPS money.

(The sad thing is it's me, I'm the target audience for this. I have all the current GURPS hardbacks and most of their Star Wars line. I'll likely buy most of these books as well.

It's me. I'm the problem)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's really only a problem if you're buying poo poo you hate but keep getting it anyway..

Or I guess giving money to new White Wolf or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
EotE with a bunch of generic or genre classes + a more WFRP3 style wound system will do me fine

Hell, I'll kludge the last bit together myself if needed.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

EotE with a bunch of generic or genre classes + a more WFRP3 style wound system will do me fine

Hell, I'll kludge the last bit together myself if needed.

Same, the EOTE dice mechanics are great, even if the rest of the system needs some work. Hopefully they take this as an opportunity to tune that stuff up. We'll almost definitely get an Android: Netrunner sourcebook at some point too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimmeeee posted:

Same, the EOTE dice mechanics are great, even if the rest of the system needs some work. Hopefully they take this as an opportunity to tune that stuff up. We'll almost definitely get an Android: Netrunner sourcebook at some point too.
Addendum: a bunch of stock artillery/skirmisher/sniper/brute etc. style enemies with a few generic abilities to customise them would also be good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

TBH, if having the name Genesys will let my nerd friend who doesn't like Star Wars look at it, I'm down.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Got the GM book for the new Delta Green edition. Really like the direction they took everything in post-9/11. Majestic collapsed under itself due to a mix of in-house mutiny and the fact that they were fat and comfy on contracts without actually doing anything and the War on Terror stripped them of their funding because they were blindsided and didn't actually have anything to offer the government. Then the Mi-Go abandoned the whole Greys ruse and that was the final nail in the coffin. On top of that, the Karotechia was killed offscreen by Delta Green and GRU SV-8 working together. Finally, Steven Alzis hosed off in 2003 and nobody has heard from him since.

On the other hand, GRU SV-8 is the new MJ-12. They ended up securing their funding by becoming oil and fuel oligarchs and the Russian government is squeezing them to adapt and integrate mythos poo poo into the Russian war machine to give them a boost. Also Tiger Transit went under in a mix of IRS door-kicking and Delta Green shenanigans but now the Americanized Tcho-Tcho are selling legal weed and other plants that have had their genes mixed with Shub milk because they still own that insane biotech company full of cultists. I'm leery of a return to USA vs. Russia power shenanigans but it's really just that I think all aspects of MJ-12 should go away forever. And as for the Tcho-Tcho, I just don't like them, period. They too should just go away forever.

Best update by far is Delta Green. After the collapse of MJ-12, the sane members of Majestic made peace with Delta Green around the same time the US government said "okay you guys really can't run around being terrorists in this day and age, come back and we'll give you funding again". The ones who returned now continue the fight as members of The Program, utilizing the same structure and tactics within the government as they used before but now bankrolled by the government. The ones who said no are now the Outlaws, fighting the same way they did in the 90s and still clustered in deniable cells.

Both sides call themselves Delta Green.

You aren't supposed to tell the players that there is another Delta Green nor are you supposed to tell them which side they work for.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hostile V posted:

I'm leery of a return to USA vs. Russia power shenanigans
I've got some bad news for you *points at any major news site*

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Tcho-Tchos were always a bad idea and Call of Cthulhu stuff should've stopped acknowledging them years ago.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Splicer posted:

I've got some bad news for you *points at any major news site*
Yeah and the reason I'm leery of it being approached in the game is that it directly references the 2016 election and fears of vote tampering within the book. GRU SV-8 kinda doesn't need to be seduced into playing that role. The fact that in their receipt of funding comes corruption into becoming the heir of MJ-12's throne is a much better hook than MJ-12's existence because it's the corruption of an ally and that's fine. It doesn't need to have headlines from the last 2 years rubbed all over it, it doesn't need the "new mythos Cold War" angle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do eBooks usually go on sale on Amazon for the Black Friday thing, or do I have to wait for "Cyber Monday" for that, or not at all?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

man i wish there was an english translation of Tormenta RPG around cause i'd be down with running/getting someone to run it here

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is the sword world RPG and Log Horizon RPG any good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's an idea: What if Cold War but with orcs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

Here's an idea: What if Cold War but with orcs.

What if WW1 but between Fantasy nations?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Apparently Pathfinder Munchkin is a thing.

When I close my eyes to sleep tonight, this will haunt me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You insult me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What if a superhero world where all the major superheroes died and now a new generation of Heroes have to rise up?

Covok
May 27, 2013

"The Scarlet Emperor has ruled over the 9 dynasties for 12 millenium, kept alive by stealing time with the captured water dragon. Boundaries between life and death have begun to fade as the Scarlet Emperor's prisoner was the guide for the dead. As the poor slave away for basic neccesities as the rich live in luxury, literally stealing time of life from the poor to fuel eternal life, you have survived on the streets as urchins. Tired of being hungry and afraid, you have banded together to topple the regime and restore balance to the universe and install a proper, righteous communist government!"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The capitalist takeover of the afterlife was the plot of hit blockbuster Gods of Egypt

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

"The Scarlet Emperor has ruled over the 9 dynasties for 12 millenium, kept alive by stealing time with the captured water dragon. Boundaries between life and death have begun to fade as the Scarlet Emperor's prisoner was the guide for the dead. As the poor slave away for basic neccesities as the rich live in luxury, literally stealing time of life from the poor to fuel eternal life, you have survived on the streets as urchins. Tired of being hungry and afraid, you have banded together to topple the regime and restore balance to the universe and install a proper, righteous communist government!"

Jade Empire?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anyone think it's weird how dwarven societies combine elements of pro-labor meritocratic work unions but are also strictly delineated monarchies and often have a theocratic bent, and often have a highly materialistic capitalist view of wealth that favors hoarding? The virtues of a talented craftsman or artist are extolled but it doesn't seem such an individual can better their stations if they're not part of a noble lineage.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone think it's weird how dwarven societies combine elements of pro-labor meritocratic work unions but are also strictly delineated monarchies and often have a theocratic bent, and often have a highly materialistic capitalist view of wealth that favors hoarding? The virtues of a talented craftsman or artist are extolled but it doesn't seem such an individual can better their stations if they're not part of a noble lineage.

The setting for the version of Chainmail that WOTC briefly published actually had it's dwarves engage in a popular revolt against their nobility and were now led by a council whose members are made up of representatives of the various guilds(and their military)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hostile V posted:

Yeah and the reason I'm leery of it being approached in the game is that it directly references the 2016 election and fears of vote tampering within the book. GRU SV-8 kinda doesn't need to be seduced into playing that role. The fact that in their receipt of funding comes corruption into becoming the heir of MJ-12's throne is a much better hook than MJ-12's existence because it's the corruption of an ally and that's fine. It doesn't need to have headlines from the last 2 years rubbed all over it, it doesn't need the "new mythos Cold War" angle.

It seems to me that if it's already committed to updating by integrating the war on terror, it would be weird to just stop modernizing at 2015 or whenever.

I guess it might date itself when new information comes out, but otherwise.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

Apparently Pathfinder Munchkin is a thing.

When I close my eyes to sleep tonight, this will haunt me.
There's also a Munchkin Lite. For people who found original Munchkin too complicated and challening, I guess?

Even weirder are the Munchkin games that are straightforward licensed properties without the pun/spoof/parody content, like Marvel and Rick & Morty and Adventure Time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

Speaking of metaphors for capitalism, there's this one dragon in D&D that is so obsessed with immortality that it parked itself in the metaphysical river where souls are formed of pure life energy and drinks it all day. One of the plot hooks for players is "children being born without souls". Also, he has a Balor instead of a heart.

drrockso20 posted:

The setting for the version of Chainmail that WOTC briefly published actually had it's dwarves engage in a popular revolt against their nobility and were now led by a council whose members are made up of representatives of the various guilds(and their military)

Now that's what I'm dwarfin' about.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

In the Discworld novels dwarven Kingship is an elected position and more accurately translates as Senior Mining Technician.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

In the Discworld novels dwarven Kingship is an elected position and more accurately translates as Senior Mining Technician.

I love how he blatantly came up with the stone of scone thing first, then worked backwards to create a dwarven society based around the pun.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I had the dwarves, gremlins, and all the various household/crafting faeries organized into a trade union council in an alt history/urban fantasy game with open magic I did ages ago. They did have a king/queen, but that was mostly to satisfy traditionalist elf groups like Underhill and the Queen of Air and Darkness, and the monarch's only job was being the person who had be the liaison with the other elves courts. Most politicking around the throne was different people finding very rational excuses why they couldn't take the job and trying to throw someone under the bus instead.

(This was the same game where the Red Scares and McCarthyism were focused on Elven court sympathies because the Bolsheviks were international martyrs for trying to assassinate Koschei the deathless when he claimed the throne of Russia.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Now that's what I'm dwarfin' about.

Speaking of dwarfin', try out this music by Simon Swerwer I found in the Dwarf Fortress thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how he blatantly came up with the stone of scone thing first, then worked backwards to create a dwarven society based around the pun.

The whole idea that dwarves would pride themselves on creating bread hard enough to be used as a weapon in combat was a great touch.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

drrockso20 posted:

That was supposed to be part of Greyhawk, AFAIK.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That was supposed to be part of Greyhawk, AFAIK.

Yeah it's off on the western part of the continent that the City of Greyhawk is on, which prior to that hadn't been described much at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

fool_of_sound posted:

The capitalist takeover of the afterlife was the plot of hit blockbuster Gods of Egypt

there was also some of that in David Cage's "Beyond: Two Souls"

• Locked thread