Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm repairing backups and manually importing offsite seeds. Not the most exciting afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I thought the office would be empty today. Maybe 10-20 people. Nope, about 2/3 of the staff came in during the morning, and 1/3 are still here at almost 3pm.

Doh.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It was a slow day today. So I spent most of the day studying for the mcse 70-414
A colleague brought cake today for the whole office. So we had that going on.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

jre posted:

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

Judge Schnoopy posted:

As a one man IT department if somebody asks me for a Mac I will gladly hand them a Windows desktop and tell them to call with any questions about how to use it.

I cannot afford extra software or time sinks for snowflakes.

ding ding ding! None of the software (and at least most of the hardware) we use is Mac compatible. I'm not actually an IT professional, I manage an office with four computers. Mine, the PC has been problem free for three years, and a brand new one that was just brought into production and has been problem free for four months. The two Macs on the other hand, something happened to them at least once a quarter. I've suggested an MSP a few times but they don't quite cause enough problems for my bosses bite the bullet and get one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm repairing backups and manually importing offsite seeds. Not the most exciting afternoon.

Are you using a bittorrent based backup solution?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

If that was the actual date, there are more problems than just the year. Apparently the invoicing program has no validation process.

My bad, I didn't remember the exact date so I used end-of-month to avoid MM/DD versus DD/MM confusion. The program doesn't allow the user to enter incorrect dates. The ability to backdate is used sometimes when customers want an invoice for a certain date, e.g. at year turnover, so it falls in a certain fiscal period.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The Nards Pan posted:

Yeah, just don't update to High Sierra without already being on the newest version of Centrify or you can't log in with any account! Fun! (Ask me about all users having local admin, and not reading emails about not upgrading to HS, AND having users that are out of the office for a month+ at a time so they don't even pickup the gpo to prevent installing HS - the type of gpo which is the entire raison d'fuckin'etre of paying Centrify all this money in the first place :suicide:)

I’ll give you that one. No matter how many emails I send to our Mac users, there’s always some jagoff who kicks off the installation of the next big update without realizing that it will take an hour. Then when the system looks like it’s not responding during the installation, they get impatient and hard power cycle it, and come to us in a panic because they have some huge deadline and they broke their computer.

Artists/Developers :argh::argh::argh:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue_monday posted:

I'm not actually an IT professional, I manage an office with four computers.
So you are basically still proving my point that

jre posted:

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

I get that this is the ranting about working in IT thread, but all the people going
:smuggo: "no fuckin macs on my network"
are missing the point that IT is a cost sink that directly contributes 0 to the bottom line of most companies. The value you add is through enabling others and through increased productivity. Good IT departments work with people to get them the tooling they need. poo poo one's are obstructive and take the easiest path for themselves all the time. Don't be one of the poo poo ones.

in conclusion: gently caress printers

mewse
May 2, 2006

jre posted:

I get that this is the ranting about working in IT thread, but all the people going
are missing the point that IT is a cost sink that directly contributes 0 to the bottom line of most companies. The value you add is through enabling others and through increased productivity. Good IT departments work with people to get them the tooling they need. poo poo one's are obstructive and take the easiest path for themselves all the time. Don't be one of the poo poo ones.

No

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

excellent rebuttal

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah gently caress macs. Only baby special flowers got to have them to do their job. New people start and they never have a good reason they need one other than they’re cool. Not a good enough reason so here is your Windows laptop.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jre posted:

Tooling they WANT vs. tooling they need. In a 100% windows shop where exactly one piece of our software stack has a mac port (lawl office for mac), it makes negative sense wasting your time and mine trying to get your shiny new macbook air to loving do anything other than let you check facebook while also looking like a huge tool. I still get to explain once a quarter that no, we can't make your mac actually usable, and no it's against policy to just use it anyways with protected client information.

Edit: That said, if someone came up to me and told me, 'Hey, I really like using my Mac for X and Y, can you help me get our windows image onto my VMware player so I can use all the other stuff?' I'd at least entertain it after running it by the compliance officer to make sure that snowflake guy isn't opening us up to a HIPPA violation or something.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 23, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

jre posted:

the point that IT is a cost sink that directly contributes 0 to the bottom line of most companies.

It's 2017. Every company is a "tech company" those that are out of business or well on their way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jre posted:

It flabbergasts me when I come across people in IT who seem to have the opposite attitude.

If the company bought them the Mac, then its IT's job to either figure out how to fit it in their environment or convince the company to change their hardware purchasing habits. People who dig in their heels and throw hissy fits. So sorry, hope you find a place that fits you better.

I have a Mac and use it for work. Having a native UNIX OS and not having to launch a VM whenever I want to do what I was hired to do is invaluable. I went through procurement, requested a Mac and they bought it for me. Fortunately, corporate IT didn't heave their breath and roll their eyes. They figured out how to integrate it into our environment and everything is copacetic.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

oh gee fellas it's almost like different environments have different requirements of their staff, their practices, and for the IT departments whose job it is to help the organization accomplish their goal.

it's almost like some environments require software that isn't on macs.

it's almost like some environments would be able to accommodate macs if they wanted to, but it'd be a huge waste of IT's time (and therefore the resources of the organization).

holy poo poo one answer isn't applicable for everyone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Take your liberal nonsense elsewhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NO THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY AND WE WILL SOLVE IT HERE

Not really, you're right and we should probably move on. It's just seeing IT guys "I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL" seems wrong to me. But whatevs, different strokes I guess.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
gently caress macs

Posted from my MacBook Pro

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

At the same time I will die on the "gently caress a single snowflake coming in and demanding different that what the environment is" hill.

I came from a windows environment. Artist was hired, they asked for a Mac. We asked them what software they needed that wasn't on Windows. They wound up with a Windows machine.

Now : my environment is 90 percent Macs, and everyone's connected to AD. AD works fine for profiles and whatnot, but offers poo poo for management. Munki pushing out restricting profiles (for K-12 students) works for us.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What was that Mac only software?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

iospace posted:

What was that Mac only software?

Final Cut Pro was THE killer app for doing AV stuff for the longest damned time, until windows based solutions got kinda sorta good enough to act as a substitute.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There's video editing software that runs on Linux that a major vfx house uses. I think the software is Nuke

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple treated their Pro customers like poo poo for long enough that running Adobe products on Windows was seen as an acceptable move.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple treated their Pro customers like poo poo for long enough that running Adobe products on Windows was seen as an acceptable move.

Yeah, as far as I know there isn't any significant difference in major software between the Apple and Windows versions now because of things like them refusing to update hardware for so long, so Apple kinda poo poo the bed there. I'm sure there's still niche software that's MacOS only, but "it runs better on Macs" isn't true any more for that.

That said, if I was in a pure Windows environment, and someone came to me asking to support a Mac, I'd like to think I wouldn't say no outright, but instead put together the costs of doing it right, and get sign-off for that so Mac was actually viable for those who wanted it. If management wants to foot the bill :shrug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The whole "graphic software only really exists on Macs" stopped being true sometime in the 00s so people still bringing it up in 2017 as if it's still true is very whaaaaa?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Final Cut Pro was THE killer app for doing AV stuff for the longest damned time, until windows based solutions got kinda sorta good enough to act as a substitute.

Yeah, the 2/3 macs in production here are used for video editing because of Final Cut.
Of course, execs have their Mac-books but they're only company insofar that they got bought on the company budget, they're personal devices that people use to give presentations.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yup, the entire art-team is on PC and I haven't heard a complaint from them about that. They're more likely to complain and get a new 27-inch Cintiq or more harddrive space.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 23, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Pour one out for all the homies on call

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

skooma512 posted:

As someone at her job right now, hear hear

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I’m at a family dinner with about 5 liters of wine, a bottle of Jameson, a bottle of Gentleman Jack, home brewed cider, and homemade mulled wine. I think I can manage that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m at a family dinner with about 5 liters of wine, a bottle of Jameson, a bottle of Gentleman Jack, home brewed cider, and homemade mulled wine. I think I can manage that.

Ooo ! Do the cider ! Mmm, cider.

At work we don't currently integrate Macs into AD, but we do manage them with JAMF. About 40% of 14,000 people are, or should be, working in Google Apps on Chrome. The numbers I see say the Macs are more reliable than the HP laptops, so keeping people working justifies Macs. Even if the 2016, USB-C only machines are kind of a PITA.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

skooma512 posted:

A few other people signed up for my shift today, so I got it off at the last minute. Roomate is out of town, as is the family. I'm playing EU4 and hopefully about to see the Redskins get annihilated. Oh, and I fired up a ribeye and some bacon for dinner.

Best Thanksgiving ever.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I sous vided a turkey and extra turkey breast for my in-laws to free them up from having to use both ovens and got to talk about botnets with my cool uncle.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

MJP posted:

I sous vided a turkey and extra turkey breast for my in-laws to free them up from having to use both ovens and got to talk about botnets with my cool uncle.

How'd you finish them? Super hot oven? Blow torch? Fryer?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'm physically at work today, but there is absolutely gently caress all to do. Not sure whether I enjoy this or not yet.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm physically at work today, but there is absolutely gently caress all to do. Not sure whether I enjoy this or not yet.

Do some cert studying or catch up on Netflix? One of these things makes you more money but it’s also nice to gently caress off at work occasionally for sanity.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Do some cert studying or catch up on Netflix? One of these things makes you more money but it’s also nice to gently caress off at work occasionally for sanity.

Doing both of these, actually. I drank the last of the office espresso this morning, so proof that you can't win them all. Boss man decided he'd just buy pizza for lunch for the 3 or 4 of us in the office today. Think I'll soundly conclude this is a good day at work.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Double post:

Boss comes up to me and goes, "Hey guess what I just did?".

Turns out we just nuked /all/ of our onsite datacenter backups. Yep that's right. All the VMs we run and host for clients. Backups just, poof, gone. Now we still have offsites so no data has actually been lost, but we get to create new base images to consolidate with those offsites over the weekend. Thankfully this was only about 7TB of data (as opposed to our ~30TB of client offsites).

Good times this Friday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Double post:

Turns out we just nuked /all/ of our onsite datacenter backups. Yep that's right. All the VMs we run and host for clients. Backups just, poof, gone. Now we still have offsites so no data has actually been lost, but we get to create new base images to consolidate with those offsites over the weekend. Thankfully this was only about 7TB of data (as opposed to our ~30TB of client offsites).

Good times this Friday.

Jesus.

You need to staple a note to your boss's forehead: DO NOT "TINKER" WITH PRODUCTION SYSTEMS

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Double post:

Good times this Friday.
How?! :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

This all started with vmotion going "hey I can't copy this over there, it already exists". From his story, sounds like he went and checked out the file then just deleted it assuming it was a left-over artifact from the first move.

Context: We had to move all of our backups over to a different MSA as an in-between point in moving them to a new drive shelf. The I/O we were getting on the same MSA was unreasonably bad and it was faster to move them to the spare, then back. He was in the process of moving them back.

• Locked thread