Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I paid MSRP for my 90mm and it was worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The 56 1.2 is also made of magic and worth every penny. You might not shoot a lot of portraits but if you get that lens you will find excuses to use it because it is that good.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

bobfather posted:

I would any day rather have an autofocus-capable medium-tele lens over a manual focus lens. Wide open that Rokinon will have ~2 inches of depth. You'll be refocusing any time either you or the model move even the slightest bit.

The 50 f/2 is a good compromise for portraiture. Hell, I've shot some beautiful portraits using the 23 f/1.4.

The 90 f/2 is just in a class of its own though. Very, very choice. I think I paid $670 before discounts for mine from an EBay seller this time last year.

You guys are killing my wallet.

I suppose stopping down to have workable dof with manual focus would kind of defeat the purpose of even buying a fast prime, huh? That's a good point. Maybe I'll just keep looking for a good $600-700 used deal on a 90 or 56. Thanks for the food for thought.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Using a fast manual prime is actually not so bad on the fuji. I basically spent my weekend finding out what everything in my house looks like at f/0.9. Just note that it is not even close to as convenient or flexible as actually owning an AF tele, this speedbooster thing I bought is in addition to my 56 and 90mm lenses not as a replacement. You should be able to find a 56mm in your price range at some point but frankly I shoot my 56 at f/2 a lot and could probably make do with the 50mm if I needed to, maybe rent one for a weekend to get a feel for the FL.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
After much shopper research and back-and-forth angst I made an impulse decision today.

Digital vs Analog

I checked out the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II in person as suggested.

Even with my expectations around mirrorless, it was smaller than anticipated. But it felt good in the hand, the physical dials were nice and I admit to being easy to persuade by the retro-styling.

I was set to give some more thought to it vs the D5600 when I saw that the price with the 14-42mm Lens was currently $599.99. And on the Best Buy website, I could package it with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm for an extra $50, putting it right at the same price point that the D5600 was available to me elsewhere.

So I pulled the trigger, and then ordered the Panasonic Lumix G 25mm that Wirecutter recommends as a first lens from Amazon for $147.99. Hopefully that was a good deal.

I understand I would have to be mindful of compromises in platforms regardless of choice I went with, but my thought is that as a beginner looking to learn more I won't necessarily need to push the E-M10 past the limits where it performs best at.

That's for my 2nd mirrorless or DSLR camera down the line.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

SimplyCosmic posted:

So I pulled the trigger, and then ordered the Panasonic Lumix G 25mm that Wirecutter recommends as a first lens from Amazon for $147.99. Hopefully that was a good deal.

That lens is a great first prime for m4/3 and is an absolute steal. Mine rarely leaves my g85

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

GEMorris posted:

That lens is a great first prime for m4/3 and is an absolute steal. Mine rarely leaves my g85
As a new GH5 owner I was also wondering about this lens as well. Will it cannibalize my 12-35?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bobfather posted:

I would any day rather have an autofocus-capable medium-tele lens over a manual focus lens. Wide open that Rokinon will have ~2 inches of depth. You'll be refocusing any time either you or the model move even the slightest bit.

The 50 f/2 is a good compromise for portraiture. Hell, I've shot some beautiful portraits using the 23 f/1.4.

The 90 f/2 is just in a class of its own though. Very, very choice. I think I paid $670 before discounts for mine from an EBay seller this time last year.

50/2 was a entry level kit lens, look for a 55/1.2 manual lens, easier to focus manually. Canon or other mounts.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 20, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

melon cat posted:

As a new GH5 owner I was also wondering about this lens as well. Will it cannibalize my 12-35?

I still haven't done much video so I can't say for sure. I would imagine the 12-35 would still get a lot of use especially when you need the wider angle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of the 12-35, I played around with one in a store yesterday and holy poo poo the AF on it is fast. That combined with the dual IS capability is going to make this my next lens. Compared back to back with the Zuiko 12-40, the extra 5mm reach is barely noticeable. Need to put my 15mm up for sale.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SimplyCosmic posted:

After much shopper research and back-and-forth angst I made an impulse decision today.

Digital vs Analog

I checked out the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II in person as suggested.

Even with my expectations around mirrorless, it was smaller than anticipated. But it felt good in the hand, the physical dials were nice and I admit to being easy to persuade by the retro-styling.

I was set to give some more thought to it vs the D5600 when I saw that the price with the 14-42mm Lens was currently $599.99. And on the Best Buy website, I could package it with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm for an extra $50, putting it right at the same price point that the D5600 was available to me elsewhere.

I understand I would have to be mindful of compromises in platforms regardless of choice I went with, but my thought is that as a beginner looking to learn more I won't necessarily need to push the E-M10 past the limits where it performs best at.

That's for my 2nd mirrorless or DSLR camera down the line.

You will love this camera. I've had a ton of really good experience with the retro look of the camera. People are interested in your camera and they don't feel threatened by it. Going from a big black DSLR to this made a HUGE difference for me when i was shooting events.

I also bought a 25mm as my first lens, I went with the Oly version though because the silver exactly matches the E-M10.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's a lot to be said for the general unobtrusiveness of smaller cameras these days.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That’s one reason (well one of the many) that I miss my X100. The X-T2 can be small if I leave the grip at home and choose a small lens but people didn’t give any fucks about an x100 pointing at them.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I bought my first gen E-M10 over 2 years and it's been fantastic. I started off with the same lens combination, albeit with the Olympus 25mm lens instead. Watch out, buying M43 primes can be addictive (buy the Oly 45mm and Panasonic 15mm)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

50/2 was a entry level kit lens, look for a 55/1.2 manual lens, easier to focus manually. Canon or other mounts.

He's talking about the fuji xf 50mm f/2.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking of the 12-35, I played around with one in a store yesterday and holy poo poo the AF on it is fast.
Is the mk2 version worth the +$300 premium? I snagged the mk1 at a good price, but I do a lot of video and am wondering if it's worth the upgrade

GEMorris posted:

I still haven't done much video so I can't say for sure. I would imagine the 12-35 would still get a lot of use especially when you need the wider angle.
Yeah I guess it'd still have a use. I suppose the 25mm would be useful for talking head/corporate shots.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 22, 2017

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm selling off my nikon gear and jumping ship to Fujifilm. Plan is to get a X-T20 and decent lens. Is it worth getting the kit lens? I'm fine spending 300-400 on a separate lens and only going with a body.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
The 18-55mm is actually a nice quality lens. I picked one up with my X-T20 and an happy to have it in my arsenal. It also depends on what you shot with your Nikon setup. I was coming from a Nikon D7100 and loved the cheap 35mm f1.8, so I'm planning on getting more primes. Just got a great deal on a used 56mm f1.2 that I couldn't really pass up, so I have to wait to budget for my next additions (most likely the 35mm f2). Until then, the 18-55mm is my primary "walk around" lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The 18-55 is very good, don't get the 16-50 or 18-135.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

8th-snype posted:

The 18-55 is very good, don't get the 16-50 or 18-135.

I've always heard good things about the 18-135, though I've never personally used it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’m currently travelling with my X-T20 along with 18-55 and the Samyang 12mm, and agree that the former is great. So much better than the Nikon 18-55 I used to use.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aricoarena posted:

I've always heard good things about the 18-135, though I've never personally used it.

It's not bad just no where near as good as the 18-55.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

aricoarena posted:

It's good, its just very big.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Also the 55-200 is better and cheaper, and pairs up well with the 18-55.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
B&H is running some pretty incredible prices on Oly lenses. I finally picked up the 60mm macro, after kicking myself for missing it at $350, I now got it for $300

https://slickdeals.net/f/10892419-o...earchBarV2Algo1

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Thanks for the suggestions, picked up a X-T20 with the 18-55mm lens. Now I just need to decide between a pancake or wide angle lens as the next purchase.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

rio posted:

Only one photographer I know shoots Sony mirrorless and he uses two a6000 bodies, one missed to shoot infrared which is totally rad and the other normal. He is very good, has pretty good justifications for using that system and it works for him (and drives some normal car). An adult student of mine has a NEX that he uses as a point and shoot and a friend of mine does the same and they are the BMW types. The others, who I have only met and don’t know, have been younger wedding photographers (20s/30s) who shoot full frame and seemed pretty normal and not rich. I think that is the Sony user base - guys who know what they are doing and choose Sony, people who don’t know what they are doing but are rich and people who do know what they are doing and want full frame for work.

I would actually be very interested to see some demographics about income levels and what camera systems they all use.

Sorry to revive this quote but as a Sony shooter, I use sony (switching to the A7RIII soon) for 3 big reasons.

Its light. For the glass, its much ligher than say Nikon or Sony even with a grip (I use 1.8 lenses). The second big reason I use Sony is the video is pretty good, (I still feel Canon's dual pixel is a bit better in the focusing bit but I like how unless you go to the high point (the 5dmkIV), the video on Sony and the 4K is better, and the third reason is well.. Canon I feel has been really lagging behind on innovation in their equipment. Its still reliable and has a LOT of good amazing lenses (their long lenses are divine magic), but right now Nikon has started to pull away in terms of being a high quality amazing DSLR, and Sony's AF tech for stills is well.. I'd argue its unbeatable. The A7RIII fixed the 2 issues I had with the A7III, adding a joystick to move focus points on the fly and adding a large battery.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ashex posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, picked up a X-T20 with the 18-55mm lens. Now I just need to decide between a pancake or wide angle lens as the next purchase.
The XF pancake goes on sale here and there but it's a bit older than the newer wides (f2, weather sealed all) which are reasonably priced/sized/weighted with quicker autofocus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GEMorris posted:

B&H is running some pretty incredible prices on Oly lenses. I finally picked up the 60mm macro, after kicking myself for missing it at $350, I now got it for $300

https://slickdeals.net/f/10892419-o...earchBarV2Algo1

You're gonna love it. :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now that I've taken my XT-20 on a couple of hikes, I am in love with this phone. It's not heavy, super easy to use, and takes great pictures. Thanks Mirrorless thread!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Internet Explorer posted:

Now that I've taken my XT-20 on a couple of hikes, I am in love with this phone. It's not heavy, super easy to use, and takes great pictures. Thanks Mirrorless thread!
It's a pretty bad phone though tbqh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haha. I am going to leave that. :cheeky:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was considering picking up the fuji 35mm 1.4, as a general lens I can take travelling. I picked the 1.4 over the 2 because of the extra stop and depth of field, and the xt20 isnt waterproof anyway. Am I making the right choice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

I was considering picking up the fuji 35mm 1.4, as a general lens I can take travelling. I picked the 1.4 over the 2 because of the extra stop and depth of field, and the xt20 isnt waterproof anyway. Am I making the right choice
I've read some comparisons and there's arguments for both. If autofocus speed, price and weather sealing aren't sticking points the older-but/faster primes have a lot going for them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Oly 45mm f/1.8 is fuckin dynamite for the price. Really happy with this lens

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kenny Logins posted:

I've read some comparisons and there's arguments for both. If autofocus speed, price and weather sealing aren't sticking points the older-but/faster primes have a lot going for them.

Because of sales weirdness and cashback, the 1.4 is cheaper in aus right now

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm new to the M43 world (new GH5 owner) and have a question about M43 lenses. If I buy an Olympus Lens and use it on my GH5, would my GH5's autofocus capabilities work? or does it automatically become a mechanical only lens the way an adapter vintage lens would?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Olympus lenses on a GH5 will work fine, except for Panasonic's new (faster) Depth From Defocus tricks and probably not having lens-based stabilization.

Olympus is doing their refurb sale again, with E-M1 v2 bodies for $1500.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

melon cat posted:

I'm new to the M43 world (new GH5 owner) and have a question about M43 lenses. If I buy an Olympus Lens and use it on my GH5, would my GH5's autofocus capabilities work? or does it automatically become a mechanical only lens the way an adapter vintage lens would?

Yeah any Olympus lens is going to run just fine on a Panasonic body.

Also holy poo poo do I love the 25mm f/1.2. This is easily going to be my new walkaround lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly's refurb/outlet sale has some very solid deals on lenses as well if anyone's looking. The 75mm f/1.8 is stupid fast focusing and $550 for the silver one is a pretty solid deal.