Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The warhammer tv guys started a weekly painting show on twitch where Duncan and friends set up and paint for a few hours while chatting. I liked the first episode, but unfortunately you have to be subscribed to watch their videos. I was happy to spend my amazon prime subscription on them though.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203182026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

You have any pics of this? It sounds great.

I do have a few pictures of this effect, happy to help! With the chrome ink pen, it's basically the GW-recommended "basecoat with Stormhost Silver, drag gemstone paint of choice diagonally from lower to upper corners," turned up to 11. I originally had some pics from the Oath Thread, but I wasn't happy with how I set up the lighting for those, so I've re-taken them with closeups on the gems. Here's how the items I've used the effect on have turned out:

Halfling sorcerer's amulet (His scrying orb also has just the chrome on it, but I managed to ding the underlying surface, so the ink didn't lay smoothly on it. Oh well....):

The jewels on the Wight King's crown, including the big emerald rhombus:

Red gem in this frost giant's ring (which I cannot get to pop the way it actually does for the life of me):

The effect is much more pronounced in person, of course; I can't really get these things to photograph quite right. The real strength of the chrome is in how it reflects light dynamically as you move the mini relative to a light source, which is something a camera can't really capture (a camera in my hands, at least).
The next uses I have planned for the chrome involve eyes for a couple of PC's in a D&D campaign I'm playing in: a tiefling and a kenku (crow-person). The tiefling specifically has silver eyes, but I wanted to really make the green eyes on the kenku pop. The skin/feathers on their base paint jobs are pretty dark, so the chrome should really stand out in that background. Now if I can just get the pupils to work....

e: This might actually be a better guide, as the pictures of the finished gems are much nicer: http://www.thebrushwizard.com/2016/06/review-citadel-gemstone-paints.html

e.: Aw, man, I missed page 420? dang it

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 22, 2017

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished the Kingdom Death Gold Smoke Knight

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Any weird dicks on that thing I just can't see?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

TheLawinator posted:

Any weird dicks on that thing I just can't see?

*yawn* nope.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Booyah- posted:

The warhammer tv guys started a weekly painting show on twitch where Duncan and friends set up and paint for a few hours while chatting. I liked the first episode, but unfortunately you have to be subscribed to watch their videos. I was happy to spend my amazon prime subscription on them though.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203182026

I only saw the last twenty minutes but it seemed to be excellent background noise for painting. They had great chemistry and the relaxed format was really pleasant. It's the first thing that has made me consider using my Amazon sub on there.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

dr_ether posted:

Nice! I just got my copy in the mail, and holy poop that box is big. I have a few of the random figures that I picked up at GenCon too.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

dr_ether posted:

I have to say, KD's sculptors do some decent work on their models that aren't covered in genitalia.
You're really doing these pieces justice, dr_ether! In particular, that filigree on the armor is aces. I'd almost say that your KD minis wouldn't be out of place in a ____ Souls game, but they're a little too bright and colorful for grimdark.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Started to paint again after pumping out a huge backlog of models. This guy is my first in years. Really rusty and I can feel it, but it feels good to paint again.

A few more 'crows' I'll be painting up later. Going to try a darker green and a different leather color.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Those dudes look rad as gently caress.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Started to paint again after pumping out a huge backlog of models. This guy is my first in years. Really rusty and I can feel it, but it feels good to paint again.

A few more 'crows' I'll be painting up later. Going to try a darker green and a different leather color.

These are really awesome, especially love the heads! Where did they come from?

Cross posting my completed Steel Hearts Champions. I was bored last night and decided to finish him as I wait for my primaris stuff to arrive to start up my Blood Angels.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Few spots left to touch up, but calling these done. Mostly cause they're my least favorite warband.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
I finished up my spider.
I think it came out ok. (It's super blotchy which was on purpose because I figured "natural camo")
Looking for any and all criticism.

I'm going to paint one of my primed, sticky Bones minis next.

I'm still afraid of basing

Farts fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 22, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know of any good sources for turban heads at 28mm/40k-ish scale? I'm trying to make some rough rider lancers so I figured: why not make them space-Sikhs?

E: Bonus points for: not being terribly racist, the heads being from/in the US, and not wearing gas masks (they're using DKoK Death Riders rules but most of my other units aren't masked up so it fucks with my idiom).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 22, 2017

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know of any good sources for turban heads at 28mm/40k-ish scale? I'm trying to make some rough rider lancers so I figured: why not make them space-Sikhs?

E: Bonus points for: not being terribly racist, the heads being from/in the US, and not wearing gas masks (they're using DKoK Death Riders rules but most of my other units aren't masked up so it fucks with my idiom).

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=277

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Not quite what I was thinking but thanks all the same. It also answered a question which had been bothering me for a couple of days: "What's that Polish bits company that isn't Kromlech or Maxmini?" so that was helpful as well.

E: I was more thinking of something like this

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Look for WW2 Sikh heads. They're popular for conversions, since the Sikh wore UK uniforms except for the beards and headgear.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Look for WW2 Sikh heads. They're popular for conversions, since the Sikh wore UK uniforms except for the beards and headgear.

I'll bet Westwind has something like that and I think The War Store distributes for them in the US.

E: Yup. http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_167_189&product_id=1168 (images were also "Coming Soon" back when I last touched plastic sometime in 4th or 5th edition...)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 22, 2017

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a large-ish (like 1" or more) dragon or animal heads that I can incorporate into a fountain I'm building. The only ones I can find are sized for a 28mm body and so are too small. Anyone know of a source?

Ideally I'd like something like the head with this mini, only upright and with it's mouth open.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/sku-up/77039

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Farts posted:

I finished up my spider.
I think it came out ok. (It's super blotchy which was on purpose because I figured "natural camo")
Looking for any and all criticism.

I'm going to paint one of my primed, sticky Bones minis next.

I'm still afraid of basing

I think your spider looks great! :3: What's it for?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I know that Mad Robot Miniatures, who make some excellent bits I have used before, are either designing or already selling some, saw a promo image of their renders.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Seldom Posts posted:

I'm looking for a large-ish (like 1" or more) dragon or animal heads that I can incorporate into a fountain I'm building. The only ones I can find are sized for a 28mm body and so are too small. Anyone know of a source?

Ideally I'd like something like the head with this mini, only upright and with it's mouth open.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/sku-up/77039

Maybe check the kids section at Michael's. They usually have a rack full of toys, to various scales, but there's a good chance you might find a cheap toy with a head you can lop off.

...Or maybe just a toy store in general. Which should've been my first answer. I'm really crashing from caffeine deprivation and I can't believe I'm still at work.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Genghis Cohen posted:

I know that Mad Robot Miniatures, who make some excellent bits I have used before, are either designing or already selling some, saw a promo image of their renders.

Mad Robot is, indeed, "the bomb" as I'm told the kids say these days.

Their new resculpts of the original IG plastics look awesome.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Are there any up to date airbrush guides?

I want to get something fancy to compliment my neo iwata airbrush but Im faced with a lot of almost identical looking brushes for almost the same price.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Maybe check the kids section at Michael's. They usually have a rack full of toys, to various scales, but there's a good chance you might find a cheap toy with a head you can lop off.

...Or maybe just a toy store in general. Which should've been my first answer. I'm really crashing from caffeine deprivation and I can't believe I'm still at work.

Good idea, thanks!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am so ready to paint up me some space degenerates

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks guys. Painted another crow. Took about an hour and I tired a different green the leather color. I think I like this one more.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks guys. Painted another crow. Took about an hour and I tired a different green the leather color. I think I like this one more.

An hour huh?

*hurls paintbrush directly in the trash*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has that guy who bought that Warlord Titan killed himself yet? I can't imagine building and painting that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

VolatileSky posted:

Model holder things, in their holding brackets on the outer lid:

(Drilled hickory dowel, counter sunk a long screw from the underside, and cut off half a cork and screw it down. Holds in without glue, and means the cork can be changed out when it eventually falls apart.

Why add the cork? What does it do that the wood wouldn't? What do you secure the mini to the cork with?

I might take a whack at making my own, so any hints on bending the wire would be appreciated.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Eifert Posting posted:

Has that guy who bought that Warlord Titan killed himself yet? I can't imagine building and painting that.

I think Hamshot is basically done painting his. Not sure how Hencoe is doing with building his; Forgeworld gave him some completely hollow legs at first, so he had to take a break from building for a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Eifert Posting posted:

:angel:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pics

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Crossposting my Shadespire boys. Trying to do the vines on the bases in red was a misstep (they look like centipedes or entrails from table height) so I've repainted them in a more plant-y brownish-green, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why add the cork? What does it do that the wood wouldn't? What do you secure the mini to the cork with?

I might take a whack at making my own, so any hints on bending the wire would be appreciated.

The cork isn't necessary no, but depending on the model sometimes I pin stuff in pieces and paint parts separately. So I just made them with that in mind. Blue tack to hold the model down would be good enough if you don't do that. For the wire, I used various coat hangers (tried heavier wire at first but Christ that was too much effort), a vice, and something slightly smaller than my doweling to bend it around at the midpoint so it'll cinch down onto the wood. If it's still a bit loose, I put it into the vice to clamp it down and wrapped some wire tightly around the 90 degree bend to make it hold instead of spinning.

I hope that makes sense? Once you bend the ends up at 90, doing that curve to whatever you want isn't too bad. Really you can do the whole thing with just some pliers, the vice just makes it a bit easier.

That blueprinting course sure came in handy.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Excellent blue orks. Love the faces.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

VolatileSky posted:

The cork isn't necessary no, but depending on the model sometimes I pin stuff in pieces and paint parts separately. So I just made them with that in mind. Blue tack to hold the model down would be good enough if you don't do that. For the wire, I used various coat hangers (tried heavier wire at first but Christ that was too much effort), a vice, and something slightly smaller than my doweling to bend it around at the midpoint so it'll cinch down onto the wood. If it's still a bit loose, I put it into the vice to clamp it down and wrapped some wire tightly around the 90 degree bend to make it hold instead of spinning.

I hope that makes sense? Once you bend the ends up at 90, doing that curve to whatever you want isn't too bad. Really you can do the whole thing with just some pliers, the vice just makes it a bit easier.

That blueprinting course sure came in handy.

What exactly is the wire for? I am ignorant in the ways of fancy mini holders.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The wire is there to make it easier to hold without getting your Cheeto hands on your figures.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nitrile gloves. Solves the cheeto fingers problem easy-peasy.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Funzo posted:

What exactly is the wire for? I am ignorant in the ways of fancy mini holders.

It's similar to a Mahl Stick only for miniatures.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-painters-mahl-stick-2577635
(If you do big paintings seriously make a stick with a cloth taped to one end)

It's not necessary, but it helps give you something to rest and steady your hand on while painting. Usually everyone does a dual hand thing and braces the painting hand on the mini-holding hand (or desk or whatever) if they have to. Helps if you paint for long periods, have naturally shaky hands, can bring it up to eye level instead of hunching down to your desk, or are constantly wired like me after needing a few cups of espresso daily just to feel human.

Nitrile gloves are a good idea too, my left hand is always rainbow coloured after airbrushing.

I do have a question unrelated: anyone print fabric in their printer? I want a cloth banner with a 40k mural (for a vehicle banner) but I'm having issues finding a decent way of stiffening the fabric enough to run it through. I'm thinking maybe it'll be best just to make a few stencils and spray paint or airbrush the fabric instead with a simpler inquisitorial design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

VolatileSky posted:

It's similar to a Mahl Stick only for miniatures.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-painters-mahl-stick-2577635
(If you do big paintings seriously make a stick with a cloth taped to one end)

It's not necessary, but it helps give you something to rest and steady your hand on while painting. Usually everyone does a dual hand thing and braces the painting hand on the mini-holding hand (or desk or whatever) if they have to. Helps if you paint for long periods, have naturally shaky hands, can bring it up to eye level instead of hunching down to your desk, or are constantly wired like me after needing a few cups of espresso daily just to feel human.

Nitrile gloves are a good idea too, my left hand is always rainbow coloured after airbrushing.

I do have a question unrelated: anyone print fabric in their printer? I want a cloth banner with a 40k mural (for a vehicle banner) but I'm having issues finding a decent way of stiffening the fabric enough to run it through. I'm thinking maybe it'll be best just to make a few stencils and spray paint or airbrush the fabric instead with a simpler inquisitorial design.

I'm not sure how well it would work but you can transfer laser printer prints to other surfaces using acetone. I'd imagine it'd work with any fabric that isn't attacked by acetone.