Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This might be a stretch for this thread, but what are your favorite magazines? One of my favorite things growing up was getting magazines in the mail (Electronic Gaming Monthly first and foremost), and I'd like to get back in the habit.

Basically all of the magazines I subscribed to as a teenager are dead now, but I've heard that there are a lot of new mags out there these days and kind of a return of zine culture. I dunno if all of that is true, but I'd love to hear about your favorite magazines.

Topics that are of particular interest to me:

- Film
- Literature
- Home interior design/furnishing
- Lifestyle (men)
- Video games
- History
- Sports

Any good ones come to mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That's not a stretch for this thread and in fact I was just getting all lovely, recently, about the fact that there isn't a local newspaper worth reading in my city. I adore a good periodical, and I'm willing to pay for one, and yeah, I second your request (but in a general sense).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Mother Jones
Jacobin
Make
Mad

If you're in the US, stop by a barnes and noble for an afternoon and see whats out there--they still carry a decently wide variety of magazines

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

These are gorgeous. Thank you!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Is MAD still good? So many of the old guard are dead and gone (Sergio Aragones will, god willing, live forever) and I haven't read the magazine since before it started including legitimate and unironic advertising, which I always thought would be a "hell freezes over" sort of thing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

Is MAD still good? So many of the old guard are dead and gone (Sergio Aragones will, god willing, live forever) and I haven't read the magazine since before it started including legitimate and unironic advertising, which I always thought would be a "hell freezes over" sort of thing.

It's not as good as it was, but it's still something I pick up once in a while.

What else are you gonna get, a copy of Spy?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I realize there's a meeting list in every issue, but are the meetings generally still active?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Annual Prophet posted:

I realize there's a meeting list in every issue, but are the meetings generally still active?

Varies wildly based on each meeting. The only barrier to listing a meeting in there, as it always has been, is to have a 2600 sub, so some smaller/college areas that are listed don't actually meet.

I've seen 2600 meetings also listed on meetup, and those are typically attended.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

I'm looking for any suggestions on a harmonica if you guys could help. Nothing professional but I don't want to get a crappy one either. :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

I'm looking for any suggestions on a harmonica if you guys could help. Nothing professional but I don't want to get a crappy one either. :)
I have no doubt that you can get a thoroughly informed answer in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415486

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That thread is great, I'm sure they will know all about harmonicas.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I need a hanger thing that I can hang over a door (standard thickness?) that can hold a pretty heavy mirror (mb 25+lbs.) - I've found hangers on amazon that will fit my door, and hangers that can hold up to 30 lbs., but not one that fits both needs.

I'd just drive a nail into the door but the door is hollow so I'm pretty sure the mirror would just rip it out.

Any suggestions?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

I need a hanger thing that I can hang over a door (standard thickness?) that can hold a pretty heavy mirror (mb 25+lbs.) - I've found hangers on amazon that will fit my door, and hangers that can hold up to 30 lbs., but not one that fits both needs.

I'd just drive a nail into the door but the door is hollow so I'm pretty sure the mirror would just rip it out.

Any suggestions?

Just a minor note, the door may be hollow but generally there is a 1-2" support that circles the outside. Theoretically you could screw something into the very top of the door and hit solid wood.

Not sure what type of mirror you have though so if the hook is midway through the mirror it will sit higher than the frame.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

black.lion posted:

Any suggestions?

Fishing line and brass thumbtacks.

Make a loop of fishing line, drive two thumbtacks into the top of your door, and loop the fishing line around both tacks. Hang the mirror from the fishing line.

The gap between the top of your door and the jamb should still have enough space to allow thin thumbtacks, I hope. Otherwise, you could sand it down a little bit to “countersink” the tacks.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

This is like a pretty heavy, old-school mirror... big frame, actual glass, etc... are brass thumb tacks going to hold that?

A nail into the door up high would be fine if there is a ring of solid wood, except that would have the mirror sitting quite high. I suppose I could use fishing line to let the mirror hang lower...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Do you care about the door? If not, you can get a piece of 1/2" plywood cut just smaller then the mirror. Use a dozen or so short screws to affix the wood to the door. Then look around for some kind of locking mount/hanger. Art/museum supply places have stuff like this, look around for something that you can mount to the back of the mirror.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

It's a rental so while I'm cool putting a hole in the door I don't want to totally eviscerate it, but that would be an excellent suggestion otherwise!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

black.lion posted:

It's a rental so while I'm cool putting a hole in the door I don't want to totally eviscerate it, but that would be an excellent suggestion otherwise!

"How do I hang this thing off this other thing?" Is a good chunk of my job. Look around the McMaster-Carr website, they are a huge hardware/tool suppler and might have something. If you can pull measurements and make a little sketch most any metal shop should be able to weld you up a hanger.

Look at the gap between the top of the door and the frame, if it is big enough you can drive a screw into the top of the door and wire down. If you want to use fishing line, buy like 50-80lb braided line and look up an actual knot.

Also, try to weigh the mirror, judging weight is usually wildly off, knowing the actual weight is going to help you a ton.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Do you care about the door? If not, you can get a piece of 1/2" plywood cut just smaller then the mirror. Use a dozen or so short screws to affix the wood to the door. Then look around for some kind of locking mount/hanger. Art/museum supply places have stuff like this, look around for something that you can mount to the back of the mirror.

I did this for a towel hanger, but I just drove 2x2" screws on a 45 degree angle so it goes in flush to the sides of the frame, holding a nice solid piece of MDF for me to screw proper hooks into.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just tried Muscle Mac, which is relatively healthy compared to Kraft, and tastes so much better, at least with the new version (last couple years) where Kraft turbofucked their recipe to taste like poo poo. Good alternative for kids.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

baquerd posted:

Just tried Muscle Mac, which is relatively healthy compared to Kraft, and tastes so much better, at least with the new version (last couple years) where Kraft turbofucked their recipe to taste like poo poo. Good alternative for kids.

Hey thanks for posting this. I’m always trying to get more protein and I eat pasta, usually Kraft, multiple times a week. This seems like something I could definitely benefit from. Hopefully it’s not too hard to find in stores.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

baquerd posted:

I feel like fat Rob McElhenny needs to be the spokesman for this product.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel like fat Rob McElhenny needs to be the spokesman for this product.

It's too bad that Fat Mac wasn't the one who was making Mac's Famous Mac and Cheese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDTYdFGhjs

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for an affordable but reliable light switch I can set on a time based activation. This will be used for porch lights outside our house. I'm looking to have them turn on at dusk and off at dawn.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

couldcareless posted:

Looking for an affordable but reliable light switch I can set on a time based activation. This will be used for porch lights outside our house. I'm looking to have them turn on at dusk and off at dawn.

I have the phillips smart bulbs for that purpose, might be easier than setting up a switch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A bit more costly though. Does philips have smart bulbs that are resilient enough for outside? The fixtures are in an enclosure, so they aren't directly in elements, but it's not climate controlled by any stretch

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N...la-273780321491

This is what you want I think.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Would a photo sensor also be applicable? I found CFL bulbs at Home Depot Canada with photo sensors built-in and they worked well enough. When the sun goes down, they turn on. And off again when the sun comes up.

Pretty sure they were made by Phillips or Sylvania.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

couldcareless posted:

A bit more costly though. Does philips have smart bulbs that are resilient enough for outside? The fixtures are in an enclosure, so they aren't directly in elements, but it's not climate controlled by any stretch

$50 for the hub + two bulbs vs $30 for the switch posted above. Thinking about it setting up a light switch is not really difficult so yeah, definitely better for your use case since non-smart led bulbs are dirt cheap.

Phillips smart bulbs work well enough outside in my experience, I have one in my balcony and it's still going strong.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I'm looking for some cycling-related recommendations.

The first thing I'm looking for is something to keep my ears warm when biking in the cold. I can't fit a hat or anything under the helmet, so those haven't worked.

I'm also looking for a small-ish bag that would work well when biking. Ideally it could carry a laptop in a sleeve, ipad, and book, and not really be any bigger than that.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I use a Chrome Soma sling and I cycle to work, Fits a 15" laptop and some other stuff, it's pretty rugged and stable (it's designed for cycling)

https://www.chromeindustries.com/product/soma-sling-messenger/BG-208.html

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Best bluetooth speakers under $60-ish dollars? It's for use in my apartment, so they don't have to be waterproof or super fancy or anything, just easy to use and decent sound quality. I asked my dad for some for christmas, and he said to just send him an amazon link (which is probably for the best, my dad is 72 and not particularly technologically advanced).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've had an Amazon basics speaker for the past two years and for $30 it has great audio quality and the battery lasts forever on a single charge.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Phthisis posted:

I'm looking for some cycling-related recommendations.

The first thing I'm looking for is something to keep my ears warm when biking in the cold. I can't fit a hat or anything under the helmet, so those haven't worked.

I'm also looking for a small-ish bag that would work well when biking. Ideally it could carry a laptop in a sleeve, ipad, and book, and not really be any bigger than that.

I use an under armor balaclava to keep my ears warm, but my helmet itself (by bern) has alternative winter paddings available that I plan on purchasing one of when my paycheck at the new job comes.

The balaclava is fine for weather in the teens (Fahrenheit), but once it gets colder than that it can be a little rough.

Edit: as to bags, for something that small, really any messenger bag with a stabilizer strap (the second one that goes around your chest) will do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I want to pay as little as possible for a computer mouse that will last me a long time and doesn't have any extra buttons or features or anything. Just two buttons and a scroll wheel. My current one was a really cheap one and it's worn out pretty quickly, so I want a good quality one that will last longer. What mouse should I get?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Recommendations for a stove+oven combo? Or is there a thread for large appliances?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I want to pay as little as possible for a computer mouse that will last me a long time and doesn't have any extra buttons or features or anything. Just two buttons and a scroll wheel. My current one was a really cheap one and it's worn out pretty quickly, so I want a good quality one that will last longer. What mouse should I get?

Get one of the OEM mice that are included when you buy a new HP or Dell. They are plastic and cheap as gently caress, and will last forever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Mouse-Black/dp/B005EJH6RW/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bamhand posted:

Recommendations for a stove+oven combo? Or is there a thread for large appliances?

Kitchen Equipment Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My hobby rock tumbler finally died. Should I replace it with a Thumler or Lortone or neither?