Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what the gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVar_Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops posted:

HD makes me actively hate the 4 foot miniature

Why? What am I missing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Why? What am I missing?
The 4 ft. miniature had really hideous hull paneling that ruined the smoother look of the 6 ft. model. I believe there were other issues as well, some of the detail work was just flat-out wrong or something?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Virgin 4ft Enterprise vs the Chad 6ft Enterprise

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 4-foot had a thicker saucer rim, raised details, and they couldn't get the curves on the deflector or pylons (or the rest, really) done properly.

The six foot was made by ILM who did the initial models and original pre-series stock footage like cruising shots and the warp jump.

The four foot was done in-house between season 2 and 3 because Image G, the day-to-day effects house, had trouble with the size of the 6-footer. The raised details are because all the fine stuff got lost on SD television, the clumsy curves are just because they didn't have ILM's skill or time.

6:

4:

4 on top, 6 on bottom:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 24, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Eh, I always liked all the greebles on the 4ft when they lit it like that

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The 4-footer also has a much thicker saucer edge. Originally the two rows of windows were supposed to be on the same deck (floor and ceiling), but since the introduction of Ten Forward in season 2 the windows were one deck each. It ruins the lines of the 6-footer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the D is supposed to be very organically curved and smooth to give it this almost alien advanced feeling, the 4-footer subtly loses a lot of that effect.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The greebles worked a lot better in the days of SD. Now in HD they're over the top.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Smoothness carries on the TOS aesthetic more faithfully, and I don't like the greebly precedent that led to horrible black panels and cutaways and overzealous aztecking. I can't get behind it. I apologize for this, Drink-Mix Man.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The best version of the D is Generations, where they took the 6-footer, restored it, repainted it, and gave it a new subtle layer of reflective coating on top because they liked the way the original Refit paintjob did that. Gave us gorgeous shots like this:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Greebles are the loving enemy you traitor

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Too bad, edited it for HD, lighting gone!

(For reference: )

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The 4-footer also has a much thicker saucer edge. Originally the two rows of windows were supposed to be on the same deck (floor and ceiling), but since the introduction of Ten Forward in season 2 the windows were one deck each. It ruins the lines of the 6-footer.

Probert was annoyed because he deliberately put in perfectly good big lounge windows that would be easy to build a set for, right there on the underside of the saucer above the registry number.

His idea was also that you could move the set wall so it had two windows instead of four and it'd be one of the other lounges to the side, as well, for if they wanted smaller spaces.

There were a few things like that they never did anyway, though. Like the big sloping windows in the VIP rooms were built to be able to flip upside down and be quarters on the bottom of the saucer instead of the top for variety, but they never bothered.

Anyway, he'd also left them this for how to do fancy rooms on the saucer rim like Ten-Forward, but they went 'nah'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 24, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The six footer also couldn't separate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

The six footer also couldn't separate.

You mean the four footer, right?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I was thinking today, maybe the reason Guinan could tell something was wrong with the timelines in Yesterday's Enterprise was because she never would have served on the Enterprise if they hadn't gone back in time, which wouldn't have happened in the war timeline, so the loop never completed and her existence was a time paradox.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe it was her sweet space-kung fu.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The rim of the 6 footer also stayed dark because it was supposed to be that there was a walkway that went around the rim of the saucer section that was always dark so people could see stars from any direction on the ship.

Presumably the scene in that one season 1 episode (I can’t remember which one exactly) where Geordi has to suddenly run from the bridge to a random set of quarters in order to look at the spaceship of the week with his visor. Presumably that would be what that walkway was meant for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

The rim of the 6 footer also stayed dark because it was supposed to be that there was a walkway that went around the rim of the saucer section that was always dark so people could see stars from any direction on the ship. they couldn't fit lights in the narrow gap and made up and excuse.

Only time the D ever had lights on rim-windows aside from Ten Forward was These Are The Voyages because CG.

The lights also all turned off when they went to warp but nobody really noticed and they fixed it with CG for the HD version.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
For my part I think it's drat impressive how good they were able to make spaceships work in the Next Gen era without really using CGI tech. They sure couldn't whip up dynamic fights, but boy were they pretty to look at.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

NowonSA posted:

For my part I think it's drat impressive how good they were able to make spaceships work in the Next Gen era without really using CGI tech. They sure couldn't whip up dynamic fights, but boy were they pretty to look at.

Yeah because of technical/budget limitations (I assume), TNG naval battles are "I hope we're using better tech than the other guy, because we're just going to hit each other square in the center of the hull until someone explodes." Luckily naval battles are not (usually) the point of Star Trek, not withstanding the best Trek movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I didn't mind it because the Enterprise was enormous and I figured the tech made maneuvering more of the "position for advantage" variety than "dodge incoming fire". It's later when CG takes off and they start having these huge hundreds-meter-long ships swooping around like fighter planes that poo poo starts getting silly.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

I didn't mind it because the Enterprise was enormous and I figured the tech made maneuvering more of the "position for advantage" variety than "dodge incoming fire". It's later when CG takes off and they start having these huge hundreds-meter-long ships swooping around like fighter planes
I.e., in DS9.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I.e., in DS9.

Mmm, probably the best/worst example is the beginning of First Contact, where everyone is going everywhere and no one has heard of a formation.

My old Okuda encyclopedia mentioned that the Enterprise D is supposed to be able to track and shoot up to thirty targets at once.

Anyway, this is all setting aside more important issues, like the cruise liner with the power to make imaginary things real/sentient could probably also collapse your system's sun if they wanted.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I.e., in DS9.

Pretty much all of the swooping in DS9 was done by the Defiant, Birds of Prey, and the small Dominion ships.

Edit: was I think the most we ever saw a bigger ship move in something that wasn't a straight line.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 24, 2017

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
But they have inertial dampeners and artificial gravity to keep the crew comfortable under extreme accelerations. In that kind of future, the ships should look like they have silly maneuvering.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

Pretty much all of the swooping in DS9 was done by the Defiant, Birds of Prey, and the small Dominion ships.
Yeah, the bigger ships were still not maneuverable

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I was thinking today, maybe the reason Guinan could tell something was wrong with the timelines in Yesterday's Enterprise was because she never would have served on the Enterprise if they hadn't gone back in time, which wouldn't have happened in the war timeline, so the loop never completed and her existence was a time paradox.

I'm glad they resisted the temptation to try to explain anything about Guinan.

I'm sure there's a lovely book somewhere that did it but I don't need to care about its existence.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

But they have inertial dampeners and artificial gravity to keep the crew comfortable under extreme accelerations. In that kind of future, the ships should look like they have silly maneuvering.

You say this like this thread hasn't had this conversation 15 times already. If these were dreadnoughts zipping around like zodiacs, would you buy whatever :techno: to handwave it or think "that still looks absurd?"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kibayasu posted:

Edit: was I think the most we ever saw a bigger ship move in something that wasn't a straight line.

As unreleastic as it is to see it SWOOPIN, no joke that single shot (and some of the shots from RotJ's Battle of Endor) are like seared into my nerd childhood memory as the coolest single shots of space battles ever made.

The gif misses the best part of this shot, which is the great sound effect of the phasers charging up before firing, it really makes them feel powerful. Especially how they apparently physically push the Cardassian ship out of the way with them.

edit - I'll always find it funny how after 7 years of TNG we finally see the Galaxy class be the awesomest on DS9.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jeeves posted:

edit - I'll always find it funny how after 7 years of TNG we finally see the Galaxy class be the awesomest on DS9.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

As unreleastic as it is to see it SWOOPIN, no joke that single shot (and some of the shots from RotJ's Battle of Endor) are like seared into my nerd childhood memory as the coolest single shots of space battles ever made.

The gif misses the best part of this shot, which is the great sound effect of the phasers charging up before firing, it really makes them feel powerful. Especially how they apparently physically push the Cardassian ship out of the way with them.

On one hand, there is no sound in space

On the other hand, I also like these shots - they look like an aquarium view, with the Star Trek ships floating like dolphins behind glass. It's a very interesting aesthetic.

Not much a fan of the "We're Star Wars now!" stuff the Defiant is doing.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

I didn't mind it because the Enterprise was enormous and I figured the tech made maneuvering more of the "position for advantage" variety than "dodge incoming fire". It's later when CG takes off and they start having these huge hundreds-meter-long ships swooping around like fighter planes that poo poo starts getting silly.

I'm down for big, elegant, knock-down-drag-out Naval Battles in Spaaace instead of frantic melee. Although...

dont even fink about it posted:

Mmm, probably the best/worst example is the beginning of First Contact, where everyone is going everywhere and no one has heard of a formation.

That sort of overwhelm-with-melee-FIRE-EVERYTHING tactic maybe works best against the post-Wolf 359 Borg, who don't have capital ships?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
In First Contact it's a melee until Picard takes over the fleet (everyone just does what he says because lol it's Picard I guess) and suddenly Starfleet figures out what "focus fire" means

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

With First Contact, there's also been some fanon that the "Battle of Sector 001" was something like a three-day running battle across half the Federation (apparently the cube wiped out a colony on Ivor Prime some distance from Earth and just used warp drive instead of transwarp) that had a bunch of ships cycling in and out (or getting blown up) all that time. I suppose it would make a decent explanation for why the fleet's milling around all over the place once the cube's in the Solar System; I imagine fleet coherence would be tough to maintain if you've been running on adrenaline that long.

Mind you, let's give credit where credit's due; they did a hell of a lot better than they did at Wolf 359.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Today I learned that Leonard Nimoy's son, Adam, is engaged to Terry Farrell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pBqY5ECU4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gonz posted:

That is nice and good and cute.
I wish Siddig and Nana worked out, at least they still seem to be good friends. I want all my trek folk to be happy.

I only recently learned that Garak is their kid's godfather, which is also adorable.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Baronjutter posted:

That is nice and good and cute.
I wish Siddig and Nana worked out, at least they still seem to be good friends. I want all my trek folk to be happy.

I only recently learned that Garak is their kid's godfather, which is also adorable.

"Garak is the godfather."

"You mean Andrew Robinson?"

"No, Garak. If Andrew wants to visit, he has to wear the makeup."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The power of the resonator can be overcome by peace, that's sweet and almost Trek enough to make up for how the rest of the episode wasn't

This is why I can't entirely hate the episode. Everything else is stupid, but "We didn't bury this because it was too dangerous, we buried it because it simply didn't work anymore" has always stuck with me.