Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Someone just undercut me by over 1m on a low volume item that takes forever to sell. :cripes:

Here's a fun tip for newbies who want to make money. Everyday at anytime there's someone undercutting an item by so much that it isn't profitable for competitors to chase them to the top of the market board, buy that garbage and relist it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Hommando posted:

Someone just undercut me by over 1m on a low volume item that takes forever to sell. :cripes:

Here's a fun tip for newbies who want to make money. Everyday at anytime there's someone undercutting an item by so much that it isn't profitable for competitors to chase them to the top of the market board, buy that garbage and relist it.

You shut your god drat mouth and let me make my money without you spilling all the easy money making secrets for newbies like some god damned Eorzean Don Lapre.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hommando posted:

Some people sell materia for less than the vendor price. Sometimes a lot less, like 200 or 300 gil for combat IV materia. It's small change in the short term, but if you're not paying a market tax, fuckin' buy that poo poo.

ShowTime posted:

You shut your god drat mouth and let me make my money without you spilling all the easy money making secrets for newbies like some god damned Eorzean Don Lapre.

Invest in Cloudsbreath. It's crashing like a 7-year-old the day after Hallowe'en. THAT MEANS IT HAS NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mordeceius never showed up.

Anyways, here's the stats for tonight:

Total # of treasure maps popped: 11
Total # of canal runs: 8
Total # of thieve's maps found: 2
Total # of treasure chest portals: 6
Total # of floor 1 wipes: 5
Total # of novice canal runner's having their mind's blown: 1

Here are my notes:
code:
8:45pm ET start time

map 1:
floor 3

map 2:
floor 1

map 3:
floor 6
thieves on 6 chest

thieves 1:
floor 1

map 4:
bullshit fake fail screen 4 TIMES IN A ROW
floor 7
thieves on 7 chest

thieves 2:
floor 1

map 5:
floor 1

map 6:
floor 1 namazu

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Phone posted:

Mordeceius never showed up.

Ahem. I'm still drinking and not yet drunk. It's only just past 7pm in California and thus still plenty of time for maps.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

i've seen absurd comebacks in astragalos. a lot of teams simply have no idea how to finish it, and the team that's behind often needs just one unstoppable push to win.

Yeah as long as people are actively killing enemy mechs and defending their own, it's incredibly easy to make a come back. The truly lost games are those with people who just bark the whole match about committing way too hard to the generator at the cost of the lanes, or those that spawn oppressors and dive in to the murder balls. On a personal note, I really hate when healers use mechs because of the importance of having players around to counter the other teams own mechs. You're already an incredibly strong commodity by PvPing as a healer. Let a Tank or melee DPS use the bots. :smith:

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 24, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SonicRulez posted:

A lot of matches feel like they're over in the first 5 minutes. That really sucks.

Over in the first five minutes but then drags out an unholy amount of extra time for the match to actually end?

They really did copy/paste a MOBA directly if that is the case. How horrible.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Skaw posted:

Yeah as long as people are actively killing enemy mechs and defending their own, it's incredibly easy to make a come back. The truly lost games are those with people who just bark the whole match about committing way too hard to the generator at the cost of the lanes, or those that spawn oppressors and dive in to the murder balls. On a personal note, I really hate when healers use mechs because of the importance of having players around to counter the other teams own mechs. You're already an incredibly strong commodity by PvPing as a healer. Let a Tank or melee DPS use the bots. :smith:

No joke, I actually had a moment where I found an AST riding a chaser hunting players way out on the boonies while our Opressors were just starting to mount an attack way on the other side of the map, and after checking to make sure there were no other enemy mechs in the area thought “eh” and returned to support the offensive rather than engage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Here's the I Win spot for opps.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Darth Walrus posted:

Just finished Heavensward, and couldn’t really figure out the point of Thordan travelling to Azys Lla.

I mean, he seemed to have everything he needed to enact his plan anyway - why faff around with a sudden holiday to the most inaccessible place in Coerthas when he could just use the Eye and the faith invested in his station to go primal as soon as the situation in Ishgard began to destabilise?

He wanted the power of the Warring Triad, too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Just finished Heavensward, and couldn’t really figure out the point of Thordan travelling to Azys Lla.

I mean, he seemed to have everything he needed to enact his plan anyway - why faff around with a sudden holiday to the most inaccessible place in Coerthas when he could just use the Eye and the faith invested in his station to go primal as soon as the situation in Ishgard began to destabilise?

The Eye has a lot of aether, but it's not infinite. He wanted to claim their aether to become truly unstoppable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

He wanted even more. He was going to tap the Warring Triad for all they were worth.

And he does. But like the Monetary Transaction he was, he only got partway through tapping Sephirot, instead of sucking them all down equally, which unbalanced the three being balanced against eachother, and sets off the storyline of you having to fight all three.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 27, 2017

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He wanted even more. He was going to tap the Warring Triad for all they were worth.

And he does. But like the mong he was, he only got partway through tapping Sephirot, instead of sucking them all down equally, which unbalanced the three being balanced against eachother, and sets off the storyline of you having to fight all three.

So, he found out what it's like when you pull back the curtain?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, but he did realize that wrong is right.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I guess you could say the Seventh Umbral Era was what it's like when worlds collide.

Wait, poo poo.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I miss the good old days of seal rock 72mans
I forced a Seal Rock today. After waiting in queue for about 80 minutes. Unfortunately, it didn't go well. I think 90% of the players had no idea how Seal Rock works.

Of course, the newest pvp mode manages to be worse than Shatter. Not only that, it doesn't even have the decency to classify itself as a Frontline so I can't even use the place to farm kills for my Hand of Mercy title. And after finally making a map that makes it easy for healers to get kills!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ruta posted:

Of course, the newest pvp mode manages to be worse than Shatter. Not only that, it doesn't even have the decency to classify itself as a Frontline so I can't even use the place to farm kills for my Hand of Mercy title. And after finally making a map that makes it easy for healers to get kills!
Somehow, Rival Wings made me appreciate Shatter more. Sure, there are only people zerging from one ice to another, but at least they are aware of the goals (generally) and Shatter is less toxic. It seems that Rival Wings attracted the usual toxic types from mobas (and feast, I guess?). Also, I like those allagan balls more than the robogorilla.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

itskage posted:

So, he found out what it's like when you pull back the curtain?

He found out what happens when so-called gods make the god-killer mad.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HW spoilers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmtQK9Lsz0

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I do love that it's stated in-game that you utterly curbstomped Thordan and his merry men even harder than the average primal or Garlean or whatever, and heavily implied in a couple of places that this is mainly because you're really, really mad at them for killing your Elezen boyfriend.

In other news, I ground my Paladin up to 60, and I'm wondering about a couple of things. Is Clemency particularly useful for anything assuming that the healer is alive and not completely inept? I see tanks using it every once in a while in dungeons, and I never really saw the point unless they're using it to force-pop Divine Veil. Second, in a trash pull, should I be going through and tagging every mob with Goring Blade, or is that a bit of a wasted effort? Coming mostly from SMN/SCH, I feel kind of compelled to have my DOT effects running on everything all the time, but for all I know that could be excessive, or even counterproductive.

Third, and most importantly by far, are there any swords that go well with the Lominsan Officer's Coat? The actual Maelstrom cutlass is kind of boring, and there's exactly zero chance that I'm grinding out 1740 Allied Seals to get the fancy version of it.

Sword aside, it looks cool.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dwesa posted:

Somehow, Rival Wings made me appreciate Shatter more. Sure, there are only people zerging from one ice to another, but at least they are aware of the goals (generally) and Shatter is less toxic. It seems that Rival Wings attracted the usual toxic types from mobas (and feast, I guess?). Also, I like those allagan balls more than the robogorilla.

not that rival wings is perfectly designed or anything, but the reason you hear more people being toxic in chat in rival wings is because rival wings isn't 80% bots yet

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Reiterpallasch posted:

not that rival wings is perfectly designed or anything, but the reason you hear more people being toxic in chat in rival wings is because rival wings isn't 80% bots yet
So that was the problem. Players.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I do love that it's stated in-game that you utterly curbstomped Thordan and his merry men even harder than the average primal or Garlean or whatever, and heavily implied in a couple of places that this is mainly because you're really, really mad at them for killing your Elezen boyfriend.

In other news, I ground my Paladin up to 60, and I'm wondering about a couple of things. Is Clemency particularly useful for anything assuming that the healer is alive and not completely inept? I see tanks using it every once in a while in dungeons, and I never really saw the point unless they're using it to force-pop Divine Veil. Second, in a trash pull, should I be going through and tagging every mob with Goring Blade, or is that a bit of a wasted effort? Coming mostly from SMN/SCH, I feel kind of compelled to have my DOT effects running on everything all the time, but for all I know that could be excessive, or even counterproductive.

Clemency is useful in trash packs when you’ve run out if mp and have nothing better to do. Also useful when the healer dies and you have 30% left on the boss.

For trash packs once you’ve gotten hate you want to do nothing but Eclipse spam. It’s 110 potency which means in most trash packs nothing single-target can beat it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Eclipse is also about the only viable way to keep enmity if (comparatively) competent DPS happens on mass pulls. If you're tagging anything with Goring, go for biggest and/or most dangerous target like the giant suits in Kugane.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A healer who is healing isn't using Holy or Gravity so if you can pick up a little slack with Clemency to allow them to go ham a little longer, not lots of reasons not to.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Eh, not sure I agree with this. For one, Rival Wings already has bots. It's popping faster than Frontlines and it's not like it's harder to configure a bot for it rather than Frontlines. For another, Frontlines wasn't really that bad back in the 72 man pre-Feast days when there really weren't that many bots.

I'd guess most of the current toxic we're seeing is because it's still relatively new. A lot of the people who grind things out straight are going to be pushing for their 100 wins really hard, and their patience is probably not the best. It will probably mellow out in a month or so, when either everyone has more reasonable expectations of how often they'll win, or the people who wanted the mount like, yesterday, are done and out of our hair.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

At 64 when PLD casts can't be interrupted by damage anymore Clemency ranges from 'useful to pop off a pretty decent heal to make sure someone doesn't die' to 'full on replacing the healer in boss battles because they died to mechanics like a chump and you have no res's.'
Clemency is a slightly better Cure II since healing your party also heals you decently enough.

As for trash packs, for up to 3 (maybe 4) targets you can cycle Goring Blade with some flash support. For huge trash packs though, flash to get their attention, pop Fight or Flight and Eclipse until it runs out. Flash as needed.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Clemency is good to passive-aggressively let your healer know you don't trust them.

Maybe for triggering divine veil when they are actually doing their job, which is stoning or broiling mobs to death.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Irae posted:

Clemency is good to passive-aggressively let your healer know you don't trust them.

No, that's when they use LD, HG, or holmgang.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use clemency in a few places. On 4.0S right after the second knockback it's handy to toss a heal on the bard that got knocked back as well (because tempered will is on cooldown and if you cover vacuum wave without it you get a double knockback). I also use it on shinryu ex to help healers kill the little dragon heads while i'm parking a tail slap in the back corner.

Clemency owns bones for killing dungeon bosses sans healer. Crit clemency at i340 can hit 24k, and any crit cast on another player will give yourself a crit heal as well. So casts on others will be around 14-24k with a self heal of 7-12k. If you buff it with requiscat those numbers increase even more.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm level 14 in the trial and it's been kinda boring so far, especially the combat.

I assume the entire game is not like this but how many hours do I need to play before it starts being fun?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gmq posted:

I'm level 14 in the trial and it's been kinda boring so far, especially the combat.

I assume the entire game is not like this but how many hours do I need to play before it starts being fun?

The first 50 levels were designed to be babby's first MMO for a fanbase that wouldn't be expected to know anything about playing a post-WoW mmorpg so, uh. It's going to be boring as gently caress for a long time. And the pre-Stormblood story isn't great either. Better than most MMOs but that's a low bar.

In a perfect world, where the game wasn't built out of spaghetti code salvaged from the corpse of the biggest fiasco in the history of MMOs, SE would go and rework it, but instead they decided to sell jump potions to skip that stuff.

It's not great but the pre-SB slog is such a gigantic obstacle for new players to jump in and play with their friends that it's the lesser of two evils.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

gmq posted:

In a level or two you are going to get access to your first 4man dungeons which will be more interesting then just running from place to place.

The issue with XIV's early game is they designed from the ground up to accommodate people who knew what Final Fantasy was but maybe not World of Warcraft, so 1-50 is essentially Easy Tutorials for Babby's First MMO.

Basically if you're feeling bored you should be focusing entirely on main story quests (which have the unique icon) or side quests which unlock things (which have a blue marker as opposed to yellow, such as your class quests) and only start faffing about with side quests if you run into a level disparity. If you started on a server with an xp bonus that'll pretty much never happen and you can run the MSQ super fast. The higher level you get the more buttons you'll get to shake up combat, and the more complex and interesting the content itself will get.

E: You can probably tell from how Xarbala and I came up with the same reason almost down to the wording that this is a situation that comes up fairly regularly. We're all still here despite the slow start, so give it some time and see if it grows on you!

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 24, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gmq posted:

it gets better around the time you have an ability rotation, which could be anywhere from level 23 to 60 depending on your class.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gmq posted:

As a Level 69 Summoner, I just queued for Leveling Roulettes and ended up in a Level 32 dungeon. The amount of buttons I needed to press to contribute in a dungeon went from double digits to four.

The beginning of the game is very slow going. Especially before you get your Soul Crystal for your Job.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it gets better around the time you have an ability rotation, which could be anywhere from level 23 to 60 depending on your class.

If I'm not mistaken, Pugilist is probably gets the most skills to play with early on? At least, it sure felt like it.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As a Level 69 Summoner, I just queued for Leveling Roulettes and ended up in a Level 32 dungeon. The amount of buttons I needed to press to contribute in a dungeon went from double digits to four.

The beginning of the game is very slow going. Especially before you get your Soul Crystal for your Job.

If I'm not mistaken, Pugilist is probably gets the most skills to play with early on? At least, it sure felt like it.

Pugilist gets a 1-2-3 by level 6. Far from the worst, at least.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Xarbala posted:

The first 50 levels were designed to be babby's first MMO for a fanbase that wouldn't be expected to know anything about playing a post-WoW mmorpg so, uh. It's going to be boring as gently caress for a long time. And the pre-Stormblood story isn't great either. Better than most MMOs but that's a low bar.

In a perfect world, where the game wasn't built out of spaghetti code salvaged from the corpse of the biggest fiasco in the history of MMOs, SE would go and rework it, but instead they decided to sell jump potions to skip that stuff.

It's not great but the pre-SB slog is such a gigantic obstacle for new players to jump in and play with their friends that it's the lesser of two evils.

Uh the Heavensward story is loving great. Most of the story is tolerable once you start dealing with the Crystal Braves and poo poo but goddamn the first 2/3rds of the level 50 ARR MSQ is miserable poo poo

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

gmq posted:

By lv70 you'll have two to three full hotbars of buttons to press, but it's a looooong, sloooooow curve getting there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolow posted:

Uh the Heavensward story is loving great. Most of the story is tolerable once you start dealing with the Crystal Braves and poo poo but goddamn the first 2/3rds of the level 50 ARR MSQ is miserable poo poo

My caffeine hasn't kicked in. I misspoke, I meant pre-HW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The game starts off slow, but once you get access to dungeons, things pick up. Then the game goes through its curves. Some parts are better, some parts are worse. The best thing I can say about FFXIV is that I feel like it gets better. The level 50 content is still really fun to play. Heavensward is great. Stormblood is also great. You just have to cut through it. Depending on what class you're playing, the combat specifically can open up basically anywhere from 30-60.

It's not short though. If you head through the first couple of dungeons and are still bored, you might as well hop ship. I doubt you're gonna wanna toss in the hours to make it to Stormblood.