Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I think a big part of it is Keenum's willingness to throw deep. Most backups play more conservatively, whether due to their own limitations or a condensed playbook. Keenum will attempt deeper throws and the Vikings receivers are of a quality to both give him lots of opportunities to do it and compensate for Keenum's arm strength and accuracy. So yeah, Keenum's definitely bringing something to the table. He is also, to be perfect honest, gotten luck as far as interceptions go. He's had some ugly throws but only the two against Washington have gone the wrong way for him.

Barnwell wrote a long article about Keenum today as well that may interest you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between the Lions getting edged out by a strong Vikings team that could easily end up with 13 wins, and losing 6 of the last 7 games to let the Packers win the division at 8-7-1

Also while this is going to sound like total Not Mad-ism, a Lions win yesterday would have meant that we were still one game back in the division, so a division title still wouldn't have been guaranteed. We would just as easily be having this conversation later in the season when we blew a winnable game elsewhere.

Also, ironically enough the best comparison for that blown division crown in '13 would be if the Vikings somehow didn't win it this season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Look on the bright side, Lions fans. With nine wins, the Vikings have guaranteed that Matt Stafford will have at least one win against a winning team this year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

Also while this is going to sound like total Not Mad-ism, a Lions win yesterday would have meant that we were still one game back in the division, so a division title still wouldn't have been guaranteed. We would just as easily be having this conversation later in the season when we blew a winnable game elsewhere.

Also, ironically enough the best comparison for that blown division crown in '13 would be if the Vikings somehow didn't win it this season.

Yeah, with the Vikings looking as strong as they are, even with Case Keenum (Which I still have trouble believing), winning the division this year was always going to be tough. The good news for the Lions at least is that the rest of the schedule is easily winnable (Ravens, Bucs, Bengals, Bears, and Hundley's Packers aren't exactly a murderer's row), and all the other NFC contenders have to play each other over the next five weeks. Atlanta in particular faces the Saints twice, the Vikes, and the Panthers, and could easily go 2-3 or even 1-4 down the stretch to allow the Lions to steal a wildcard slot.

In the end, though the Lions lost, they were still in a position to win a game but for a ton of unforced errors against one of the best teams in the league. It sucks that they lost, and that they're still this goddamn inconsistent. But at the same time... 10-6 or even 11-5 is still possible, the run defence looked competent (outside that one horrific drive to start the second half), and the corpse of Dwight Freeny certainly can't hurt the pass rush. If the Lions could actually get their poo poo together for more than a quarter at a time, they could actually be a contender.

Of course, we've been saying that for the past couple of years, huh :suicide:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Like, it'll be exciting to see if the Lions can get in via the wild card and I think it's definitely a possibility. But i'm under no illusions about getting humiliated in the first round, again

Such is the Lions life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Look on the bright side, Lions fans. With nine wins, the Vikings have guaranteed that Matt Stafford will have at least one win against a winning team this year.

And on the road!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MikeCrotch posted:

Like, it'll be exciting to see if the Lions can get in via the wild card and I think it's definitely a possibility. But i'm under no illusions about getting humiliated in the first round, again

Such is the Lions life

Oh come on, what are the odds the Saints blow us out twice in one year :shepface:

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh come on, what are the odds the Saints blow us out twice in one year :shepface:

Maybe the Lions beat the Vikings in Minnesota again

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

OH WOW I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Danny LaFever posted:

OH WOW I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER

Glad I could help :)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Vikings are definitely the best in the division, and I'm not sure Rodgers staying healthy would've changed that

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Einstein posted:

Vikings are definitely the best in the division, and I'm not sure Rodgers staying healthy would've changed that

I don't believe that the Keenum high will last all the way to the SB. Otherwise I'd agree.

Like, the Rodgers-led Packers offense is just flat out better. The Vikings defense is still other-worldly though. I'm not sure the talent differential is large but the Vikings are a much better coached team.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2017

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

You also have to factor in that MIN has some outrageous depth on its roster.

As far as top tier talent, GB is obviously higher, but attrition would eventually take its toll and even out the teams to basically who has homefield advantage for any given game.

Or as we have seen, if GB goes from All-Pro QB to "Not league average" they go from a 12 win team to a 4 win team.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
With a league average QB I’m pretty sure they win that Saints game and Ravens game and put themselves in a spot for Rodgers to get an extra two weeks of rest before they would have maybe had to force him back for 16/17.

Whatever, gently caress it. I don’t hate the Vikings this year so NFC north solidarity.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The '17 Vikings honestly remind me a lot of the '02 Bucs. Otherworldly defense anchored by a deadly DL and a journeyman QB rekindling his career with a squad of previously-mostly-unknown receivers. The big difference here is Thielen and Diggs are way better than Keyshawn, Jurevicius, and McCardell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is my Hot Take About The Lions: We're in what, year 2 of General Manager Bob Quinn? Since they ditched Lombardi and then Mayhew, I think the Lions have slowly, bit by bit, gotten better. There's still the ridiculous unforced errors here and there and I don't know enough about football to say if that's down to talent or scheme. I think there's a ton of holes on the defense and Ameer Abdullah is, uh, not the answer at RB, but this team is still on balance, trending upwards and there's a lot more to be hopeful for than there was with, for example, Schwartz and Mayhew.

I don't wanna sound like I'm settling for mediocrity, but. They've beaten the teams they should be beating this year, in my estimation and some of those wins fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, but they're still wins. If they lose a bunch of these super winnable games down the stretch and wind up like 8-8 or 7-9, then yeah, I'll be pissed but for now I'm just kinda. I dunno. Trying to give Quinn and Caldwell the benefit of the doubt.

Basically, I kinda like Caldwell and Schwartz was a nightmare and I don't wanna go back to how terrible things were under him.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ha ha, 2011 was fun, wasn't it....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fire everyone

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a chance Pace gets fired or are we going through the same poo poo for another 3 years?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Trubisky is real bad

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Trubisky is real bad

YOU'RE REALLY BAD :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Is there a chance Pace gets fired or are we going through the same poo poo for another 3 years?

Meh, I'm willing to give Pace an actual hire at head coach.

Rather than pretty much having John Fox forced onto him, by Accorsi and the Mccaskey's.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Trubisky is real bad

Are you telling me that a QB who played college ball at North Carolina and had 13 career starts turned out to be a poo poo NFL player?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Meh, I'm willing to give Pace an actual hire at head coach.

Rather than pretty much having John Fox forced onto him, by Accorsi and the Mccaskey's.

Pace seems like trash at drafting and bringing in talent. I mean they're 3 years in to his tenure and somehow got worse than where they were when he got here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There are few redeeming features about the current incarnation of the Bears and they should clean house and try again. Keep Biscuits, Howard, and some of that defense, yeah, but the coaching and the front office?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pace will not get fired, nor does he warrant a firing. Fox et al will be shitcanned - but hopefully they keep Fangio.

I was hoping Fox would at least right the ship, bring some stability but he can't eek out more than a handful of wins in a season.

If Fangio's interested in the HC role , offer it. If not, keep him as DC and find a QB/offense-minded HC. I'd love to get Jim Harbaugh from his cushy Michigan job, he and Fangio have worked together before.

Can't quite forgive him for the Glennon debacle, though. I feel like we could've had Tyrod Taylor for cheaper, maybe throw in Sammy Watkins too. Would've been a great way for El Trubs to observe and learn.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are few redeeming features about the current incarnation of the Bears and they should clean house and try again. Keep Biscuits, Howard, and some of that defense, yeah, but the coaching and the front office?

On that same note, the Packers should clean house of anyone not named Aaron Rodgers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Pace seems like trash at drafting and bringing in talent. I mean they're 3 years in to his tenure and somehow got worse than where they were when he got here.

That defense is waaaaay better than they were when he got here. The defense is actually respectable. Floyd had been looking extremely good before he got hurt.

I think it's fair to tie Mitch to Pace for at least one if not two more years to see what happens this offseason with a new coach that he alone is responsible for picking.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yaws posted:

On that same note, the Packers should clean house of anyone not named Aaron Rodgers.

They should do the opposite imo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Trubisky is real bad

let he who is without Hundley cast the first stone

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

let he who is without Hundley cast the first stone

Hundley is real bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nerve posted:

Hundley is real bad

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Pace isn't going anywhere. When you hire a dude that young and with so little experience you are resigning yourself to some growing pains and missed picks those first couple of years. I don't see Pace getting fired for another 3 or 4 years even if the team is still garbage, unless Mitch turns out to be a massive bust.

Edit: Next week should be interesting. The game itself is going to suck, but at least the 49ers are a team the Bears can hang with from a talent level.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fishing with the fam posted:

Pace isn't going anywhere. When you hire a dude that young and with so little experience you are resigning yourself to some growing pains and missed picks those first couple of years. I don't see Pace getting fired for another 3 or 4 years even if the team is still garbage, unless Mitch turns out to be a massive bust.

Pace absolutely has the "first-time coach hire, not genuinely my guy" grace period on him, he's been clearly distancing himself from Fox since last offseason and he'll likely survive the housecleaning, but he used up pretty much all of his goodwill with both the Glennon signing and the still-hilarious trade for Trubisky. He won't survive long if the team takes a wet fart out of the gate with his hand-picked coach next year, especially since his contract will be up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Yaws posted:

Daniels, Martinez, Perry, Josh Jones, King, and the receivers can stay.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Infidel Castro posted:

Daniels, Martinez, Perry, Josh Jones, King, and the receivers can stay.

Haha, Morgan, Damarious (he’s had an outstanding second half of the year), Kenny Clark has been amazing, DBak, Bulaga, Linsley... there’s a ton of talent on the roster

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bears are going to hire greg schiano

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Haha, Morgan, Damarious (he’s had an outstanding second half of the year), Kenny Clark has been amazing, DBak, Bulaga, Linsley... there’s a ton of talent on the roster

Burnett is probably the most underappreciated player on the Packers defense.

I'd toss Taylor into there too. Bulaga's career is possibly approaching its end.

It's coaching. The problem is coaching. Even accounting for homers rating their players higher than they should be, this team has way too much talent that's being poorly used.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RealDGunnNBCS/status/934967413120163840

John Fox refuses to go back to Chicago to be fired.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

That defense is waaaaay better than they were when he got here. The defense is actually respectable. Floyd had been looking extremely good before he got hurt.

I think it's fair to tie Mitch to Pace for at least one if not two more years to see what happens this offseason with a new coach that he alone is responsible for picking.

The offense is also way worse.

My problem with keeping Pace is you can't fire him a year after he hires a new coach.

I guess I don't see what Pace has done that garners him a pass. His drafts have been alright but nothing that's really getting making the team better yet. You also have to factor in him drafting one of the biggest busts in NFL history and bungling last year's draft day trade.

Just feels like Pace is a lateral move. Maybe the team won't get worse but it doesn't look like he has the chops to make them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The offense is also way worse.

My problem with keeping Pace is you can't fire him a year after he hires a new coach.

I guess I don't see what Pace has done that garners him a pass. His drafts have been alright but nothing that's really getting making the team better yet. You also have to factor in him drafting one of the biggest busts in NFL history and bungling last year's draft day trade.

Just feels like Pace is a lateral move. Maybe the team won't get worse but it doesn't look like he has the chops to make them better.

Biggest Busts? You mean the dude that had injury problems?

That didn't previously have injury problems in college that I can remember.

Kevin White has been unlucky as all hell.

And Pace's job isn't to make the players better, that's on the garbage coaching staff that John Fox has full control over on the offensive side at least.

• Locked thread