Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In the infinite craziness that is Grumors. The new one is that Gruden is locked up but UT is feigning interest in Mullen as a favor to Jimmy Sexton to get Mullen a raise. So no worries it’s still Gruden guys!

Also they believe that Mullen is just Butch Jones 2.0

What the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why is everyone so down on Mullen?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I like how an athletic department is doing an agent a favor to get a coach in the same conference a raise is the most serious thing they can come up with

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nachos posted:

I personally think he's a good coach especially when it comes to evaluating and developing QB's, but I've heard a bunch of SEC beat writers say he's a huge rear end in a top hat personality wise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nachos posted:

I guess ADs don’t like working with him because he’s a dick and he’s lovely at interviews

Joey Freshwater posted:

Has something new come out?

lol man come on

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he’s a great coach considering what he’s had to work with in Starkville. He never has topped ranked classes but is consistent in at the very least being competitive. Knoxville would be easier for him and his staff to recruit to and I think UT would be in a good spot if we got him.

Personally I’d rather have Petersen but I wouldnt be upset if it was Mullen

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

lol man come on

I dont know why you think it’s such a wild and crazy thing. He’s not 100% happy at Washington and he’s been linked to Tennessee in the past in that they’ve actually had talks before.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dont know why you think it’s such a wild and crazy thing. He’s not 100% happy at Washington and he’s been linked to Tennessee in the past in that they’ve actually had talks before.

I’ve seen more clamoring regarding Petersen in the last few days than the entire duration of our coaching search. I’d be more happy with Petersen than Mullen, but in the end I think both are solid hires.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol at vols fans thinking they are going to hire a good coach from a p5 team

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm starving for information SOMETHING HAPPEN

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

This reads like a Trump tweet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

This reads like a Trump tweet.

:eng99:

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Petersen to Tenn and Chip to UCLA wouldn't be too bad. So long as Washington doesn't loving somehow fall upwards and poach Urbz or some damned thing.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Where is Chris Petersen stuff coming from why on God's green gay earth would chris Petersen go to Tennessee?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah leave a traditional power he revived, that went to the playoffs last year in the region he's spent his entire life to go recusitate a different has been power in a place he's never lived, and oh meanwhile you have to deal with the most insane and deluded fanbase in America.

That's a few steps down, frankly, and might've made sense when he was at Boise but not at all now.

Do people really just forget that Washington is a really really good job?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

nachos posted:

Unrealistic expectations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Washington did a really good job, frankly better than Tennessee, at trying to make itself a bad job for a long time there. Sark just getting things to respectability got him a USC job (well that and USC's weird hiring practices).

e: that's not to say I think there's any chance of Peterson to UT though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Pro-SEC bias. Not saying this about Joey Freshwater, but most run-of-the-mill fans in the region view the SEC as a tier above all other jobs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Where are you seeing that he’s not happy with Washington? And are the same sources linking him to Tennessee the ones that think they’re going to get Gary Patterson or Jon Gruden too?

He probably has a better job already, hasn’t worked outside that part of the country, and has been super picky and turned down better jobs before. He also seems like he would hate the media and booster bullshit that comes with a major SEC job. I don’t know why a guy who is with a team that was in the playoffs last year would leave for like the third best job in the SEC East.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Peterson would need a CT scan if he left Washington for loving Tennessee.

Also I think we miss out on Kelly and target Frost then.....Strong?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

LeeMajors posted:

Peterson would need a CT scan if he left Washington for loving Tennessee.

Also I think we miss out on Kelly and target Frost then.....Strong?

Kelly > Frost > Taggert > Mullen > kill me if it's none of those guys

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Florida Gators head coach Joe Philbin

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Kelly > Frost > Taggert > Mullen > kill me if it's none of those guys

:same:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I figured out where Tennessee fans got this.

Imagine sitting around on Thanksgiving in a house in Knoxville. You're talking about the next coach, and the college educated kid in the family pipes up: what about that Chris Patterson or whatever at Washington? There's some grumbling about how he lost to Alabama, but drunk Uncle Jimmy yells "but he beat Oklahoma!" and passes out.

This pleases the room, since Oklahoma best Alabama.

And when everyone woke up, they all remember hearing Chris Petersen rumors

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Guess that’s that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-chip-kelly-running-florida-job-194401666.html

Come on down, Scott Frost pretty please

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/gatorbait247/status/934151196222328832

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If florida really moved on from kelly because he wouldn't keep shannon they are the dumbest loving program in the world

they'll be lucky to hire like larry fedora

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pat Narduzzi to Florida

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Let’s give muschamp another try

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We'll go after Frost, who is the, "checks all the boxes!!!" hire. Who knows if he'll work out or not.

If we whiff on Frost then things get...interesting.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

If florida really moved on from kelly because he wouldn't keep shannon they are the dumbest loving program in the world

I know that’s the hot rumor, but I’d find it hard to believe two separate ADs had the same general feeling about that stupid poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Taggart or Mullen would both be really good at UF. Beyond that they might do something really dumb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

I think it’s more likely Kelly just prefers UCLA

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

Taggart or Mullen would both be really good at UF. Beyond that they might do something really dumb.

You don't think Frost is the next target?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

That is my thought too. Maybe less stress or expectations, might get more concessions from the AF, more west coast connections for recruiting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

You don't think Frost is the next target?

I meant if they struck out on him too

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Yeah this a "nah, I dumped her before she dumped me" moment.

Hopefully, Frost likes living in Florida.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

I meant if they struck out on him too

Gotcha

Well Mullen said last night he intends to stay at MSU, so I really hope we get Frost.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

Gotcha

Well Mullen said last night he intends to stay at MSU, so I really hope we get Frost.

Every coach says that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This has been right about things in the past, but grain of salt and all that:

quote:

AndrewSpivey
Recruiting Reporter
GC Staff VIP Member

I’ve received a lot of messages last night and today about things with Chip Kelly. Believe it or not the holidays sometimes give you more information as sources higher up talk and are with other higher up sources. Anyways here’s what I’ve got.

Everyone I speak with is sticking to their guns and saying that Chip Kelly is coming to Florida. Everyone says that unless Kelly is telling Florida a story than its the Gators for his choice.
I was told a piece of information that I haven’t heard before until last night but I was told that Florida never wanted to announce Kelly before Sunday. The reason behind this was to not distract people from the team.
I was also told that Florida is vetting people for Kelly’s staff still and that he wants to announce his staff fairly quickly after he’s announced as head coach.
Again unless Florida is getting played then the Gators are expecting Kelly to be the coach on Sunday or Monday.

• Locked thread