Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

lemon-lyme disease posted:

There was a time when I thought this had to be true - then I met my hippie-ish MIL, who pretty much likes her steak to be bleeding for no discernible reason. It would almost be better if she were trying to be Ron. That, at least, would be understandable. The worst part is that now my 14yo wants them the same way and I just can’t bring myself to undercook a steak.

I don't get it, none of the fat is rendered, it's just raw (you donkey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like pumpkin spice lattes and I need people to stop trying to make me feel like an rear end in a top hat about it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Das Boo posted:

I like pumpkin spice lattes and I need people to stop trying to make me feel like an rear end in a top hat about it.

Who are you justifying it to? Why do you need other people's approval to like what you like. They taste like poo poo but at the end of the day just order it and enjoy it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Coffee snobs in general annoy me. I like starbucks drinks, I like my half hot chocolate/half coffee swill from 7/11, I like my chock full o' nuts from a 20 buck drip machine, with a hefty dollop of international delite creamer. I like good coffee too but cheap stuff has its place and is also good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Coffee snobs in general annoy me. I like starbucks drinks, I like my half hot chocolate/half coffee swill from 7/11, I like my chock full o' nuts from a 20 buck drip machine, with a hefty dollop of international delite creamer. I like good coffee too but cheap stuff has its place and is also good.

I mean this poo poo all sounds super gross, and it's ok to like. It's hardly actually coffee though. It's sugar milk. If people just admitted they didn't actually like coffee and instead like sweet overly milky stuff no one would care.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

If people just admitted they didn't actually like coffee and instead like sweet overly milky stuff no one would care.

this poo poo is exactly what annoys everyone, you clueless maroon

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

hawowanlawow posted:

this poo poo is exactly what annoys everyone, you clueless maroon

Why? If you're disguising the taste of coffee with a poo poo load of sugar and milk why are you even drinking the coffee? And don't tell me the caffeine because very dark roasts, old coffee, pre ground coffee, sugar and milk all lessen the caffeine in the coffee.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
To butcher a quote from 'The City and the City', I like good coffee. But even more than I like it good, I don't care.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People just don't want to be told that they have trash taste. Even if it's true.

I love a good Starbucks milkshake once in a while but it's not coffee.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mu Zeta posted:

People just don't want to be told that they have trash taste. Even if it's true.

I love a good Starbucks milkshake once in a while but it's not coffee.

Same, a frap can be awesome when I'm in the mood for it, and it's not even to say sweet coffee is all bad. The coffee shop I work at is about quality through and through and we make a great honey vanilla latte and a delicious mocha latte. The difference is because we make our own mocha and we don't add any sugar you're still able to taste and enjoy the coffee while having some sweetness.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The_Rob posted:

Why? If you're disguising the taste of coffee with a poo poo load of sugar and milk why are you even drinking the coffee?

This is the stupidest loving argument in the world hth.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I can't believe these philistines eat mashed potatoes with butter and cream in them. If they truly appreciated the flavor they would eat only uncooked unseasoned potato. You should just eat cream mixed with butter since that's what you actually want :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The_Rob posted:

Why? If you're disguising the taste of coffee with a poo poo load of sugar and milk why are you even drinking the coffee? And don't tell me the caffeine because very dark roasts, old coffee, pre ground coffee, sugar and milk all lessen the caffeine in the coffee.

Because coffee adds unique flavor. It's more like a spice than the base.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I would just like to interject and say I love instant coffee. When I stay at hotels I go down to the front desk and ask for more packets at least 4-5 times per night. It's good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Olive! posted:

I can't believe these philistines eat mashed potatoes with butter and cream in them. If they truly appreciated the flavor they would eat only uncooked unseasoned potato. You should just eat cream mixed with butter since that's what you actually want :smug:

PHUO, this line of argumentation is loving retarded, arguing agains excess isn't an argument against something per se.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

steinrokkan posted:

Because coffee adds unique flavor. It's more like a spice than the base.

Not if it's bad coffee. 7/11 coffee is objectively bad. Good coffee with good milk and a skilled barista is great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The_Rob posted:

Not if it's bad coffee. 7/11 coffee is objectively bad. Good coffee with good milk and a skilled barista is great.

There's coffee flavored candy, right? That isn't made from good coffee, I suspect they synthetize the flavoring without involving an ounce of coffee beans, but it's still good. Same goes for vaguely coffee-related drinks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

steinrokkan posted:

There's coffee flavored candy, right? That isn't made from good coffee, I suspect they synthetize the flavoring without involving an ounce of coffee beans, but it's still good. Same goes for vaguely coffee-related drinks.

I dunno I've never enjoyed coffee flavored candy. It doesn't really taste anything like coffee.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Glad we could hit all of the PHUO classics in one night :clint:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

lemon-lyme disease posted:

There was a time when I thought this had to be true - then I met my hippie-ish MIL, who pretty much likes her steak to be bleeding for no discernible reason. It would almost be better if she were trying to be Ron. That, at least, would be understandable. The worst part is that now my 14yo wants them the same way and I just can’t bring myself to undercook a steak.

That's how I wanted them when I was 14, too. If it helps they'll probably grow out of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Those are mainstream though. Like every single person working for Disney Animation lives and breathes Miyazaki for inspiration. The gross anime is the rest of the stuff. I remember there was a thread on here about some show called Azumanga that was like 600 pages long and when I looked at it the show is about 13 year old girls.

That's because it's a show for 13 year old girls. Just because a lot of adult men with broken brains like it doesn't mean it's gross pervy trash. That would be like pointing at bronies as evidence that all American cartoons are made for weird perverts.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have barely watched any anime but the fact that goons have such a hate on for it and act like it’s all creepy pedo poo poo is p silly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot, black, and bitter as hell. And Cuban. And in the morning. And cheap.

edit:
And dunk toast or donuts in them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have drank about a million cups of coffee in my life ranging from the cheapest Folgers to fancy pants coffee shops that are "legendary" in Seattle and it all pretty much just tastes like coffee to me and I like it all unless it's burnt or stale, and even then I'll probably drink it if there are no other options.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Eela6 posted:

That's how I wanted them when I was 14, too. If it helps they'll probably grow out of it.

It does, actually. It does help. Also, if she doesn’t grow out of it, she will still grow into having to buy and prepare her own steak. I win either way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I have drank about a million cups of coffee in my life ranging from the cheapest Folgers to fancy pants coffee shops that are "legendary" in Seattle and it all pretty much just tastes like coffee to me and I like it all unless it's burnt or stale, and even then I'll probably drink it if there are no other options.

I normally roll my eyes when people say "X snobs just pretend / delude themselves into thinking there's difference", but coffee is the one area where it may be true.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

steinrokkan posted:

I normally roll my eyes when people say "X snobs just pretend / delude themselves into thinking there's difference", but coffee is the one area where it may be true.

It's not at all though. Coffee has so many variables it's insane. It depends on region,roast, grind, brew method, time, weight. You can have the same coffee taste totally different depending on the grind. Coffee is very interesting and varied.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All wine tastes the same

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The_Rob posted:

I mean this poo poo all sounds super gross, and it's ok to like. It's hardly actually coffee though. It's sugar milk. If people just admitted they didn't actually like coffee and instead like sweet overly milky stuff no one would care.

I also like black coffee you judgmental rear end. I like coffee flavoured things too.

e: unless they're bad

This also applies to most food/drinks to me really. Do I prefer an actual good burger? Yes. But I love road tripping and every time I drive somewhere I savor chowing down on some mcdo's trash burger. It has its place and it doesn't taste bad, just less good and less interesting.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Nov 24, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey guys, I think a $2 tip is enough no matter what the check was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even if I weren't a jew, I'd circumcise my son. Uncut ducks are gross and gnarly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's child abuse and maybe worse than rape IMO

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

It's not at all though. Coffee has so many variables it's insane. It depends on region,roast, grind, brew method, time, weight. You can have the same coffee taste totally different depending on the grind. Coffee is very interesting and varied.

You could say that about literally any food.

Do hot dog snobs exist?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

veni veni veni posted:

Do hot dog snobs exist?

They do here, but that’s likely a regional thing having specifically to do with regional varieties of hot dog.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

Do hot dog snobs exist?

Yeah I agree. That's why I think it's silly to say people can't tell the difference between good and bad things. I just happen to work in coffee.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey guys, I think a $2 tip is enough no matter what the check was.

No you don't. Liar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would say that coffee can taste different depending on different variables. Like yeah if it's burned or too weak or ground into a powder for espresso it'll taste different, but a freshly dripped cup of Folgers tastes just as good as organic free trade in house roasted prepared by a barista whatever. It just gives a much weaker placebo effect about drinking premium poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

I would say that coffee can taste different depending on different variables. Like yeah if it's burned or too weak or ground into a powder for espresso it'll taste different, but a freshly dripped cup of Folgers tastes just as good as organic free trade in house roasted prepared by a barista whatever. It just gives a much weaker placebo effect about drinking premium poo poo.

No that's absolute bullshit. Folgers is generally over roasted and pre ground which effects the taste. You won't get a truly decent cup unless you grind it there and brew it properly. Then it depends on taste. A more balanced cup you will probably want a Colombian or Costa Rican because it's going to be more notes of chocolate and nuts. Where as coffees from like Nicaragua or Ethiopia you're going to get a more bright coffee meaning you'll get more acidity and fruit notes. It's not a placebo effect at all. It's very easy to tell an over roasted pre ground coffee from a freshly ground properly roasted coffee.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd brew folgers to avoid going to this poster's coffee place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

No that's absolute bullshit. Folgers is generally over roasted and pre ground which effects the taste. You won't get a truly decent cup unless you grind it there and brew it properly. Then it depends on taste. A more balanced cup you will probably want a Colombian or Costa Rican because it's going to be more notes of chocolate and nuts. Where as coffees from like Nicaragua or Ethiopia you're going to get a more bright coffee meaning you'll get more acidity and fruit notes. It's not a placebo effect at all. It's very easy to tell an over roasted pre ground coffee from a freshly ground properly roasted coffee.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd brew folgers to avoid going to this poster's coffee place.

Why would I ever have an issue with you staying away from me.