Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The term Mary Sue loses a LOT outside of fanfiction, where it's specifically you inserting your Original Character Do Not Steal into a licensed universe and they're better than the heroes at everything and they can't believe how good this new person is, and half the characters fall in love with them, etc.

I have heard people argue that Daenarys Targaryen and Jon Snow are Mary Sue characters despite not being fanfics, and it's a compelling argument.

But yeah Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter are not Mary Sues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The main problem with GoT now is the rushed nature of the HBO series where everyone has plot armor because Martin already detailed the ending to the writers and they’re trying to cram another 4000 pages into two seasons

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In common Internet usage, a Mary Sue is a female character that does something better than a male character.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Mary Sue is not a concept that makes sense outside of fanfic culture

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Paradise Lost is Bible fanfic and Satan is a Mary Stu.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Close reading of that tends to reveal Satan is contradicting himself and talking a lot of bullshit in an attempt to rationalize his actions. Milton wasn't really taking his side.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I may be misusing the term then, as I was under the impression it was basically just a "does everything well and miraculously solves problems" character, so apologies for this derail. I wasn't aware of the connection to fanfics and such.

But yeah, going back to Stranger Things, Eleven just acts as this all powerful savior who's powers seem to expand to whatever is needed to solve the problem in front of them. My wife turned to me halfway through the season after the military MPs and lab crew got eviscerated (again) and was like "they're just going to have Eleven come back and save everyone". Which I guess is the hero archetype, but it just struck us as lazy. Like how demodogs seemed to be invulnerable to guns when Hopper was trying to save Bob...until guns suddenly worked and Hopper was blasting them out of the air while Eleven yelled at the portal."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be a pedantic nerd for a moment:

She used the gate that the Demogorgan tore in the wall at the end of season 1 to escape. They take time to close, as shown multiple times in season 1, such as when Nancy and Jonathan are in the woods looking around and Nancy spots one in a tree and crawls through. And Eleven used her telekinesis abilities to make it larger, which sets up her being able to close the gate at the end of season 2. She can't make a gate, but she can make an open one bigger or close it. Maybe she can open them in season 3, who knows, but right now all she is shown to do is widen/close the ones that are already open.

You're right, although I still think it's a completely underwhelming resolution to the cliffhanger, and a good example of the problems I had with the season.

Lycus posted:

In common Internet usage, a Mary Sue is a female character that does something better than a male character.

For what it's worth, the last time I heard the term used, it was referring to Jack Reacher :v:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Who is the og Mary Sue that the term comes from?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Who is the og Mary Sue that the term comes from?
Apparently it really does come from fan fiction. Today I also learned that Wesley Crusher was a “Gary Sue.”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
How the hell can Wesley be a Mary Sue? He was gifted in certain fields, but he was a monumental pain in the rear end to most people around him. Doesn't a Mary Sue have to be preternaturally gifted and well liked?

There's a reason that when the traveller told everyone he was going to take Wesley to another dimension, everyone was all "Yeah, good luck with that. Have a nice trip. Byeeeeeee."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No it isn't

What we call fanfiction is the product of a specific set of cultural circumstances and premised on certain ideas which didn't exist until relatively recently. You can trace the history of fanfic back through various popular websites, fandoms, fanzines and so on, and the contents of fics are influenced by the aims of fanfic authors and the assumptions they make about their readers. As a genre, or set of genres if you prefer, it's definitely distinct from older poetic works that adapted or took influence from existing texts.

Calling old texts "fanfic" can be a way of critiquing the assumptions people make about fanfic, but is mostly just kinda facetious.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How the hell can Wesley be a Mary Sue? He was gifted in certain fields, but he was a monumental pain in the rear end to most people around him. Doesn't a Mary Sue have to be preternaturally gifted and well liked?

There's a reason that when the traveller told everyone he was going to take Wesley to another dimension, everyone was all "Yeah, good luck with that. Have a nice trip. Byeeeeeee."
I was mainly pointing out that Gary Stu is a pretty dumb name, but I think you could argue his earlier appearances fit. By the time he went away the writers had probably put up with years of complaints.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I noticed The Hunt for Red October is on hulu, which is one of those all time great movies you can watch over and over again, like Jurassic Park or The Thing

gently caress I love that movie

also finished Future Man, pro watch

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Haha yea that's the truth. Each Bahubali movie is like 2hrs 30mins+

I used to complain about long Hindi movie lengths as a kid till my mother had had enough and she explained it to me like this:

"for most of the Indian population going to the movies is both a luxury and the only entertainment they have access to. [this was pre internet] They live hard lives and want feel good stories that are long and take them away from their troubles for a few hours, with plenty of songs and simple storylines."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

I noticed The Hunt for Red October is on hulu, which is one of those all time great movies you can watch over and over again, like Jurassic Park or The Thing

gently caress I love that movie

also finished Future Man, pro watch

The Hunt For Red October, The Thing, Jurassic Park, The Shawshank Redemption, and Raiders of the Lost Ark all fall into that category for me. Especially Raiders. It's just so perfect.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Any good recommendations on the 'flix or youtube or whatever for comedians similar in content-style of John Mulaney? Like, he swears and stuff, but his jokes aren't "so i was cumming on this bitch last night and" stuff that I wouldn't watch with my parents even as an adult.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

Any good recommendations on the 'flix or youtube or whatever for comedians similar in content-style of John Mulaney? Like, he swears and stuff, but his jokes aren't "so i was cumming on this bitch last night and" stuff that I wouldn't watch with my parents even as an adult.

Demetri Martin immediately springs to mind. He cusses, but his comedy is really silly and not vulgar.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I recommend Jim Gaffigan, Mike Birbiglia, Flight of the Conchords. I've seen these guys on Netflix, or Hulu at different points but I don't know if they're currently available there. Flight's one night stand special is on Amazon Prime Video.

Edit: Few Christmases back my grandparents put on some Christian Comedy special and it was physically painful to watch. Thou Shalt Laugh 2. Victoria Jackson and Dan Nainan were beyond awful.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 24, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I've been enjoying Jack Whitehall's stuff on Netflix lately. English comedian. Was almost Harry Potter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brian Regan is historically a super clean yet funny comedian. He has a new special on Netflix.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anybody know if Full Metal Jacket is up on any streaming services?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Gary Gulman is quite clean and very funny.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

Anybody know if Full Metal Jacket is up on any streaming services?

According to JustWatch it's on Amazon, Google Play, Vudu, PSN Store, MS Store and iTunes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone start Godless? Looks like it might be a winner. I could go for a Western anyways.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's okay. There's nothing really unique about it, lots of conventional Old West story stuff. You'll probably like it if you like Old West movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If any of you guys watched Mindhunter and liked Holt Mcallany's performance, Lights Out is back on netflix. Show was awesome, but sadly only one season

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone start Godless? Looks like it might be a winner. I could go for a Western anyways.

I started it. It seems okay so far. I love Scoot McNairy in everything he's ever in.

Michelle Dockery's American accent is pretty bad.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How is Punisher so good. I always feel like the Marvel shows are kind of flat and hard for me to get in to, but this one is just blowing me away. The acting is superb.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is Punisher so good. I always feel like the Marvel shows are kind of flat and hard for me to get in to, but this one is just blowing me away. The acting is superb.

I think it's all about how good Jon Bernthal is. He's the reason they made the season in the first place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fishtobaskets posted:

I think it's all about how good Jon Bernthal is. He's the reason they made the season in the first place.

He's a big part of it, but they really tailored the show to his strengths and the pathos he brought to the first four episodes of daredevil. It helps there's no push to make his plot fit into the defenders at all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Should I watch daredevil if I liked Punisher? Is there more Punisher back story in it or something? I feel like I am missing a big part of the backstory with his family’s murder and who did it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Should I watch daredevil if I liked Punisher? Is there more Punisher back story in it or something? I feel like I am missing a big part of the backstory with his family’s murder and who did it.

Season 2 of Daredevil was basically season 1 of both The Punisher and The Defenders. You should watch Daredevil. It's actually good. So are Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

I'm glad to see a good response to The Punisher. I haven't been eager to watch it since Iron Fist and The Defenders were so weak.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Once you've watched daredevil, luke cage, and jessica jones, you're pretty much committed and may as well skim through iron fist and defenders just to be caught up on the metaplot for when another show comes around.

Punisher is probably the best marvel show in that it's consistently great and doesn't drag towards the end, but DD s1 and JJ are also both incredible and LC is really good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

The parts of S2 of Daredevil that dragged for me only really dragged because I wanted it to go back to the Punisher plot. It's still good, but the Punisher stuff in Daredevil was fantastic.

E: Until the Punisher came out, S1 of Daredevil and S2-E1-4 were the best marvel TV

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
All of the Hand stuff in Daredevil season 2 is dogshit

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

All of the Hand stuff in Daredevil season 2 is dogshit

Hence why it was season 1 of The Defenders.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Punisher series was really really good. I really enjoyed Punisher himself on Season 2 of daredevil, and the show kind of lost me when that was mostly resolved in episode 3-4.

If you read the comic books, Punisher's Debut in Daredevil season 2 (when he gave Daredevil the choice) was absolutely awesome, and the Punisher series also takes some liberties with both the regular comics and the Punisher MAX comics.

only bad part about this series is the ending credits remind me of the video game, Rebel Galaxy.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I slogged part way through episode six before I tapped out of Punisher.

e: lmao speaking of which, they're remaking Death Wish? Is urban crime on the rise or something? Why is this kind of story so compelling again?

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 25, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I thought for a minute that punisher’s actor was the voice actor for Wolfenstein’s BJ Blaskowitz. They are nearly the same drat persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bushwick is pretty stupid but it's also entertaining. If you enjoy dumb poo poo like The Purge like I do, its worth a watch. Also it's probably the only thing you'll ever be able to watch where dave bautista is the best actor in it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 25, 2017