Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ubi have problems but they've also seem over hated by goons. They occasionally seem to really actually try to make something cool good and original and even if they often beat that poo poo into the ground when it works, that still puts them ahead of most of EA and Activision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Or Square, I really have grown to hate Square as a publisher.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Square's been fine since FFXIV was reborn.

You know, excepting their western properties.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phantasium posted:

This is why I hate them, they play favorites and screw over their western dev teams.

Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, and Legacy of Kain. :smith:

I still am really thankful IO and Hitman avoided that fate.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phantasium posted:

Square's been fine since FFXIV was reborn.

FFXV

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Square have the baffling decision making style of Nintendo with out the ability to make really good games that stay in budget to make up for it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

glam rock hamhock posted:

Ubi have problems but they've also seem over hated by goons.

Anything at all mainstream is hated by goons.

Speaking of which, Overwatch still sucks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, they finally got their poo poo together and released it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
was mankind divided being split into two games, one of which will now never be made, a decision by square or by eidos

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

was mankind divided being split into two games, one of which will now never be made, a decision by square or by eidos
Square.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

how tf do people get so much gold? i've never understood it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sleeping Dogs was hosed over by its own developer (United Front) actually, because they decided that what everyone wanted from a sequel to the best Arkham/GTA mashup ever made was a lovely MMO that has already had its servers shut down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9_niSqGhI

lmao the official website is still up as if it's still coming. The "first look trailer" is loving hilarious

https://triadwars.com/en-us

precision fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 25, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
aaaaand apparently there WAS Gonna be a Sleeping Dogs 2 that was gonna own fuckin bones

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4w3bmj/inside-the-ambitious-sleeping-dogs-sequel-well-never-get-to-play

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pretty much everyone who made Sleeping Dogs left the company after it shipped, it wasn't a smooth development at all. Triad Wars was an attempt by the people left behind to make something with the remains of the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

This is why I hate them, they play favorites and screw over their western dev teams.

Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, and Legacy of Kain. :smith:

I still am really thankful IO and Hitman avoided that fate.

I still believe :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

an actual dog posted:

Pretty much everyone who made Sleeping Dogs left the company after it shipped, it wasn't a smooth development at all. Triad Wars was an attempt by the people left behind to make something with the remains of the game.

Well let's all pray to Gaming Jesus that we got a "totally not Sleeping Dogs 2"

I know this is a controversial opinion but Mafia 3 really scratched a similar itch for me, I love that game to bits. Rolling around listening to CCR dressed like a Black Panther and killin' rednecks :iia:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, they finally got their poo poo together and released it.

What the gently caress did we do wrong that they released it on us though, and how can we stop it from happening again

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

redsniper posted:

Please is there a live Metal Gear thread right now? The one I had bookmarked got locked and I didn't see one skimming the first ten pages of the board. I've been getting back into MGSV lately and I like to see goons chatting about one of my favorite series. Tia. :shobon:

i will talk about mgs here, it rules

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of bad writing lol

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Sims 3 is vastly superior to Warren Spector's "One City Block" concept

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Well let's all pray to Gaming Jesus that we got a "totally not Sleeping Dogs 2"

I know this is a controversial opinion but Mafia 3 really scratched a similar itch for me, I love that game to bits. Rolling around listening to CCR dressed like a Black Panther and killin' rednecks :iia:

Mafia 3 had a scene that Wolfeinstein TNC threatened to outdo but never actually did, so it's still worth playing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sudden chip and dale rescue rangers reference outta nowhere in Etrian Odyssey Untold.

I certainly wasn't expecting a character to just drop the opening line to the show's opening song.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

What the gently caress did we do wrong that they released it on us though, and how can we stop it from happening again

ya'll gotta be nicer to nomura, it's not his fault he likes belts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People should play XV it's a lot of fun

Apparently the multiplayer they added recently is even good???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Help Im Alive posted:

Is the game actually fun at some point, I played for like2hours and the combat seemed really repetitive

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'll get right on it once it comes out on PC since I don't own a PS4

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is the game actually fun at some point, I played for like2hours and the combat seemed really repetitive

more like the game is fun UNTIL a certain point. then you get kidnapped and railroaded into a multi-hour long train ride of doom

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
as a general rule of thumb the first few hours of any given JRPG are not at all indicative of the rest of the game

for example the first few hours of FF7 would lead you to believe it's a great game

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Should I get Nier: Automata for my PC or for my PS4? I've read the PC version of the game is kind of a lovely port.

And I've never played a Persona game so would I like Persona 5?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

as a general rule of thumb the first few hours of any given JRPG are not at all indicative of the rest of the game

for example the first few hours of FF7 would lead you to believe it's a great game

i like where ff7 goes more than how it starts

valkyrie profile is the best ps1 jrpg but ff7 is aight

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

spasticColon posted:

It was my first and I loved it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spasticColon posted:

Should I get Nier: Automata for my PC or for my PS4? I've read the PC version of the game is kind of a lovely port.

1. PS4

2. There are incremental gameplay upgrades in each Persona and it's special editions, but storywise they're pretty much standalone, maybe with a reference here or there but nothing big. Go wild.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

how tf do people get so much gold? i've never understood it

If you watch a run of a high-scorer you'll learn a lot, and be amazed at ways to make gold.
The crown you get for killing the shopkeeper doubles money you pick up, and if you can hit a leprechaun without killing it, it will chase you and spawn gold wherever it moves (but if it hits you you lose ALL your gold).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Square spends way too much time and effort on crappy FF phone games, and their remakes have an ugly art style.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DLC Inc posted:

more like the game is fun UNTIL a certain point. then you get kidnapped and railroaded into a multi-hour long train ride of doom

I mean I guess I can try it again after I finish with HZD, lord knows my game taste seems to have changed a lot in the last few months

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
how do you get the code name for completing a mission by using a vehicle in mgsv

I have rendered many men into diesel flavored sausage but I have not gained my heart's desire.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

If you like RPGs and think the social link stuff sounds fun then yeah! It's got good RPG gameplay and tons of style.

If you DON'T like RPGs you might still like it if all the other stuff sounds appealing.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Regy Rusty posted:

If you like RPGs and think the social link stuff sounds fun then yeah! It's got good RPG gameplay and tons of style.

If you DON'T like RPGs you might still like it if all the other stuff sounds appealing.

I do like action RPGs like Diablo and I actually like playing Diablo 3 on my PS4 more than on my PC. I also really liked playing Odin's Sphere on PS4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reality Winner posted:

Square spends way too much time and effort on crappy FF phone games, and their remakes have an ugly art style.

They don't spend any time or effort on them they just farm them out for no dollars and don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

How the gently caress dare you

• Locked thread