Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Can Arkansas honestly hope for any coach better than Lane-train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Jerry Jones is gonna ruin two teams before he croaks

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
that Buddy Martin quote is bullshit. small time Ocala radio station guy trying to save face when he was one of the "CHIP KELLY 2 FLORIDA DONE DEAL CONTRACT SIGNED" guys last week.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

we have the money to get any coach that is after money

bobby petrino come on back down

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I was a few pages back, but I saw this:

MourningView posted:

Really feel like Nebraska can talk themselves into this if Frost turns them down

and immediately said:

Noctone posted:

gently caress no

My buddies and I were also talking about how we would have no idea how to deal with a situation where Bielema is Nebraska'a head coach.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

LLCoolJD posted:

You forgot the part where Arkansas finally made it to Atlanta only to face eventual national champion Florida.

oh, you mean this?

when we had florida scared and on the ropes late in the SEC title game, and were on the verge of what might be our first and only conference title, and then our punt return guy went and did this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCFMx411IA&t=526s

no, i didn't forget that. but thanks anyway for bringing it up. :smith:

an adult beverage posted:

i am drinking your moniker right now to forget this season, as well as the five preceding that

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Mama's calling, Scott

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/934268669655437312

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

an adult beverage posted:

gently caress it why not at least he's had success at arkansas

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The OC of a mediocre defensive team

Truly an inspiring hire

Like, I get that its Oregon State, but I feel like they could do better

Edit: Looks like he had a good run at Eastern Washington as HC

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

oh, you mean this?

drat, I still remember that sweet run by Percy Harvin. He was so drat fast. :eyepop:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

Literally everything you said is wrong.

My point is that they've been mediocre by norm, that's what the actual data shows. So Schiano really didn't accomplish that much on the field. He was really good at recruiting and developing players, and then kept losing games to inferior teams. I've never said they were world beaters, just that everyone who claims they're historically awful is wrong.

Flood was not a significant downgrade from Schiano on the field. It's off the field where he was probably the worst program administrator in the history of time.

I don't know why we have to argue about this every 3 months. Look up the all time records dude, your team is loving garbage. You're in the Northwestern/Duke/Vanderbilt tier all time. The recent stretch Michigan has had that makes Michigan fans insane and has seen us go from fans of a powerhouse program to a miserable also ran that never wins anything would be historically great at Rutgers. That's how lovely you are. gently caress man. Why is this so important to you? Rutgers won TWO big ten games this year! You're on the way up! Stop living in your lovely past!

I mean look at this poo poo

And if you're saying, AHA, look at those bitching Frank Burns years that show we haven't been a doormat for the past 4 decades, it's because Rutgers had found its level back then and played similar football schools every year, like Bucknell, Yale, Princeton, Villanova, Cornell, Holy Cross, Colgate, Holy Cross again, Villanova again, Bucknell again, and William & Mary.

When Rutgers has been in a real conference, they've been bad, outside of like 2 good years with Schiano. That's been true for almost 100 years

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

and in 2014 when Bert got lucky as hell and Bama unbelievably fumbled the ball away to us four times in one game, which will never ever ever happen again, we still lost 14-13

the coach doesn't matter

nothing matters

we will never win the conference

:smithicide:

Death comes for everyone at some point. Right? Right?!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can we have more Rutgers chat in the Coaching Carousel thread please it is truly enthralling stuff

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't know why we have to argue about this every 3 months. Look up the all time records dude, your team is loving garbage man look at this poo poo

Allow me to exhibit Exhibit #1074q of what Bert did to Arkansas. I mean, we lost to this team.

And if you want to talk about all-time records, we're way up there. I mean, we were the third best team in all of college football in the 1960s. No, really, we were.

And our boosters have money. Did I mention that? Someday they'll pick the right coach, maybe. And maybe he won't cheat on his wife and joyride on a motorcycle with a girlfriend half his age

oh who am I kidding, we will always suck :smithicide:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’m sure both programs were just so incensed at a coach negotiating that they said “thanks but no thanks best possible hire we could make, we’re moving on.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Glumslinger posted:

The OC of a mediocre defensive team

Truly an inspiring hire

Like, I get that its Oregon State, but I feel like they could do better

Edit: Looks like he had a good run at Eastern Washington as HC

He was really good at EWU. They beat Washington State last year.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
offering one Tim Beck for free. slightly used, mostly useless. must pick up in Austin, TX.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Can we have more Rutgers chat in the Coaching Carousel thread please it is truly enthralling stuff

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team represents Rutgers University in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). Rutgers competes as a member of the East Division of the Big Ten Conference. Prior to joining the Big Ten, the t

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

regulargonzalez posted:

as an enemy of rutgers athletics, absolutely it owns

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Someone take a lightly used tom herman off our hands so we can swoop in and take Chip Kelly please?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If Nebraska can't get Frost or another top tier candidate, I can see them sticking with Riley for one more year. It's better than hiring someone who doesn't have the full support of the fanbase and the administration, and with next year's schedule they probably won't win more than 7 games regardless of who is coaching.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

buddhanc posted:

Someone take a lightly used tom herman off our hands so we can swoop in and take Chip Kelly please?

lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

buddhanc posted:

It's been 1 season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Well, I guess not every AD can be smart enough to hire Ed Orgeron instead of Tom Herman.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/cmsilvajr/status/934303085748457473

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's been 1 season.

Yeah, you're right. We definitely shouldn't expect more than 6 wins and a truly horrendous loss to end the season. Kinda sounds like................. charlie strong?? We have a fantastic defense and can't win more than 6 games this year, including losses to Maryland and Texas Tech at home. Herman loving sucks. Might as well cut our losses and move on if he doesn't fire Tim Beck. If he does fire him though, I'll be fine with him sticking around and hopefully doing better. Would be a step in the right direction.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good lord. Maybe Charlie's recruits actually aren't that great? Going 6-6 with a team mostly of players on teams that just went 5-7, 5-7, & 6-7 doesn't seem egregious at all. If he went 3-9 or something that'd be cause for alarm sure but canning one of the hottest head coaching hires after a single season is loving stupid, dude.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Good lord. Maybe Charlie's recruits actually aren't that great? Going 6-6 with a team mostly of players on teams that just went 5-7, 5-7, & 6-7 doesn't seem egregious at all. If he went 3-9 or something that'd be cause for alarm sure but canning one of the hottest head coaching hires after a single season is loving stupid, dude.

I'm overreacting because I'm mad about Tim Beck mostly. I don't really want to fire Tom Herman, I'm just frustrated. I believe he can turn it around if he sheds the dead weight.

And talent isn't the problem, Charlie recruited well. Pay orlando alot and ditch Beck and I'll be good to go.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Konstantin posted:

If Nebraska can't get Frost or another top tier candidate, I can see them sticking with Riley for one more year. It's better than hiring someone who doesn't have the full support of the fanbase and the administration, and with next year's schedule they probably won't win more than 7 games regardless of who is coaching.

The buyout situation is what really makes it a sticky wicket. If they’re gonna shitcan Riley it means committing to something like $10 million in dead money over the next four years between his buyout and the remainder of Pelini’s. That’s a pill no one wants to swallow unless they’re getting a high-profile coach in return. The fact that Riley didn’t get Bielema’d today tells me they’re still far away from securing Frost or anyone else that would move the needle.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

I'm overreacting because I'm mad about Tim Beck mostly. I don't really want to fire Tom Herman, I'm just frustrated. I believe he can turn it around if he sheds the dead weight.

And talent isn't the problem, Charlie recruited well. Pay orlando alot and ditch Beck and I'll be good to go.

i am sure it was tim beck who caused elligher to self-destruct

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tim Beck's retarded playcalls and obsession with the slowest developing plays ever in a conference built around speed are why were 6-6 and not possibly 9-3.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i am sure it was tim beck who caused elligher to self-destruct

It was definitely tim beck who called the terrible play on 3rd and 2 when we should've been running the ball / clock out.

e- wait, I don't really understand your overarching goal here, are you a tim beck apologist or what? because the dude is pretty terrible regardless of ehlingers play

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Nervous posted:

Death comes for everyone at some point. Right? Right?!

i know the curse of the Razorbacks better than anyone here.

i had just graduated college when the Stoernover happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREe6S8W4lI&t=8762s

My best college bro, who was probably even more of a die-hard Arkansas fan than I was, had a Bielema-esque dumbfounded look on his face the very moment after it happened.

Immediately after that, his three year old daughter got excited and punched him in the nuts with a running start.

She didn't know any better.

But it has never gotten any better for us Arkansas fans since then.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

It was definitely tim beck who called the terrible play on 3rd and 2 when we should've been running the ball / clock out.

e- wait, I don't really understand your overarching goal here, are you a tim beck apologist or what? because the dude is pretty terrible regardless of ehlingers play

i think he's bad oc, but it hink you also blame him for a lot of stuff that isn't his fault.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i think he's bad oc, but it hink you also blame him for a lot of stuff that isn't his fault.

Most of it is his fault. According to stewart mandel, that's the least amount of points tech has given up since kliff was hired besides their kansas games. We could only muster 23 points against tech at home. 10 against oklahoma state. 24 against oklahoma. 28 against a terrible west virigina defense. 17 against Iowa state.

We have a bad offense, period. Tim Beck calls the plays. I'd say he deserves 95% of the blame.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

Most of it is his fault. According to stewart mandel, that's the least amount of points tech has given up since kliff was hired besides their kansas games. We could only muster 23 points against tech at home. 10 against oklahoma state. 24 against oklahoma. 28 against a terrible west virigina defense. 17 against Iowa state.

We have a bad offense, period. Tim Beck calls the plays. I'd say he deserves 95% of the blame.

our defense is a lot better than we get credit for but like i said, he's a bad oc but like the oc is only responsible for so much. there's more than just the play calling that's bad.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

buddhanc posted:

"turn it around" dude it's literally his first season at a school that lost to Kansas last year

he won an NY6 bowl at my dumb and poor school, he's an excellent coach

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Seems that Richrod is pretty secure no matter what happens today (there's even talk of an extension) but that most are in general agreement that Graham is coaching for his job.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Konstantin posted:

If Nebraska can't get Frost or another top tier candidate, I can see them sticking with Riley for one more year. It's better than hiring someone who doesn't have the full support of the fanbase and the administration

???

We've allowed 50+ points in three straight games, leading to our worst record since the Kennedy administration. Even if it's not Frost, Moos would have several months to sell a new coach to the fanbase. In what universe is that worse than keeping Riley right now? The stadium would be 60% full come September.

Riley will be gone by this afternoon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jazzimus Prime posted:

i know the curse of the Razorbacks better than anyone here.

i had just graduated college when the Stoernover happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREe6S8W4lI&t=8762s

My best college bro, who was probably even more of a die-hard Arkansas fan than I was, had a Bielema-esque dumbfounded look on his face the very moment after it happened.

Immediately after that, his three year old daughter got excited and punched him in the nuts with a running start.

She didn't know any better.

But it has never gotten any better for us Arkansas fans since then.

I was at that game. As a Tennessee fan it was a miserable experience (weather sucked, Vols played like crap) until that fumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Real Name Grover posted:

???

We've allowed 50+ points in three straight games, leading to our worst record since the Kennedy administration. Even if it's not Frost, Moos would have several months to sell a new coach to the fanbase. In what universe is that worse than keeping Riley right now? The stadium would be 60% full come September.

Riley will be gone by this afternoon.

One more year of Riley is better than 3-4 years of mediocrity and another buyout from hiring the wrong candidate. There are a lot of P5 openings this year, if Moos isn't confident he can attract a candidate that will bring long-term success, it may be better to kick the can down the road.

• Locked thread