Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Snowman_McK posted:

Mulholland Drive is an astoundingly simple film if you go into it with the slightest willingness to engage with it.

The Mullholland Drive DVD I own literally comes with an insert that lists "clues" and things to look out for visually that are supposed to help you interpret the movie.

All the talk of this movie in context of analyzing themes in cinema has been insanely amusing in this light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CountFosco posted:

What a crime, on Jodorowsky's part! I sentence you to twelve watches of Warhol's Empire, no fast forwarding. Feel the challenge.

I think you're misreading Mech, who was never throwing shade at Jodorowsky

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I rewatched Batman V Superman recently and while there is plenty that I can appreciate about that film, it never really resonates with me on an emotional level. I think the best point of comparison for this movie is The Dark Knight. And not just for obvious tonal reasons, but also because they have very similar subject matter. Both are sort of ensemble films about how these various characters react to something allegorical to 9/11. But The Dark Knight works a lot better for me.

I admit that one of these reasons is just the simple fact that for most American audiences (including me) it's easier to digest a movie that asks you to empathize with already welcomed and accepted U.S. citizens reacting to a series of terrorist attacks (TDK) than it is to digest a movie that asks you to empathize with a persecuted immigrant in the aftermath of those attacks. (BvS)

But I feel that BvS is also just a more emotionally distant movie. (And this is in comparison to a film from a director known for his emotionally distant works) TDK had Harvey Dent who I would argue is really the heart of that movie and the movie centers around how these traumatic series of events lead him to a downward spiral. I don't really think that BvS has that. By that time the movie starts everyone is already in a state of shock and awe over the events of MoS. Batman has already become paranoid and far more lethal in his crime fighting. And the first time we see Superman is in the middle east scene that heightens the controversy surrounding him as a figure.

I'm fine with all of these characters going through these emotional states, but they're already so emotionally closed off at the beginning that I'm personally not able to follow them on that emotional journey. It's a movie all about the disruption of the status quo before I really get a sense of what the status quo is.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Mullholland Drive DVD I own literally comes with an insert that lists "clues" and things to look out for visually that are supposed to help you interpret the movie.

All the talk of this movie in context of analyzing themes in cinema has been insanely amusing in this light.

Got the same one, it was a confusing inclusion at first, but as I found out more about Lynch's sense of humor I read that as him taking the piss out of viewers who market his films as impenetrable. The clues tended to confuse folks more than anything else, and I had one buddy who had a habit of texting me every few months to explain Mulholland Drive to him that almost always started with me telling him to throw away that drat sheet. It's a bit of mischievous misdirection, like campaigning for Laura Dern with a cow.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Conal Cochran posted:

I rewatched Batman V Superman recently and while there is plenty that I can appreciate about that film, it never really resonates with me on an emotional level. I think the best point of comparison for this movie is The Dark Knight. And not just for obvious tonal reasons, but also because they have very similar subject matter. Both are sort of ensemble films about how these various characters react to something allegorical to 9/11. But The Dark Knight works a lot better for me.

I admit that one of these reasons is just the simple fact that for most American audiences (including me) it's easier to digest a movie that asks you to empathize with already welcomed and accepted U.S. citizens reacting to a series of terrorist attacks (TDK) than it is to digest a movie that asks you to empathize with a persecuted immigrant in the aftermath of those attacks. (BvS)

But I feel that BvS is also just a more emotionally distant movie. (And this is in comparison to a film from a director known for his emotionally distant works) TDK had Harvey Dent who I would argue is really the heart of that movie and the movie centers around how these traumatic series of events lead him to a downward spiral. I don't really think that BvS has that. By that time the movie starts everyone is already in a state of shock and awe over the events of MoS. Batman has already become paranoid and far more lethal in his crime fighting. And the first time we see Superman is in the middle east scene that heightens the controversy surrounding him as a figure.

I'm fine with all of these characters going through these emotional states, but they're already so emotionally closed off at the beginning that I'm personally not able to follow them on that emotional journey. It's a movie all about the disruption of the status quo before I really get a sense of what the status quo is.

I'm not trying to be rude but the 'middle east scene' is in Africa

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Well poo poo. I feel dumb now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jiro posted:

:allears: I really like how they had to keep in the spit curl and give him a really pronounced widow's peak. Just has him look like he's going bald slowly.

Just like the Fleischer Superman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah 40s Superman was practically a fivehead.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Forbes is now predicting that Justice League will do sub-$700 million, which, given its enormous budget and the fact that most of it is coming from overseas, will put WB in the red to the tune of $50-100 million dollars.

I think that makes it the first unprofitable superhero movie since Green Lantern.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Forbes is now predicting that Justice League will do sub-$700 million, which, given its enormous budget and the fact that most of it is coming from overseas, will put WB in the red to the tune of $50-100 million dollars.

I think that makes it the first unprofitable superhero movie since Green Lantern.

You know how movies sometimes add a china subplot to do better in china? Maybe this movie is really banking on making it big with Eastern Europe and that is why there is a huge pointless subplot with that family

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not sure if those scenes are meant to make the films do better in china (at least, most chinese articles and english articles about chinese audience reactions I've found seem to find them insulting and pandering), I think it's more that a film with scenes directed in China are more likely to make the list of allowed western films for that year (China has a protectionist system where western films can't outnumber chinese films, or somesuch), and when your film costs half a billion dollars you wantit available in all the regions.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ungulateman posted:

Never watched BvS the whole way through due to my general uninterest but I looked up the Jimmy Olsen scene and the whole "African shithole barbaric soldiers" thing left a bad taste in my mouth, as an African.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Honestly, regardless of my feelings on Justice League itself, it's nice to live in a world where being a big-budget movie with a huge advertising budget based on a big IP doesn't by itself guarantee a profit, which was starting to seem like it was the case.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Never watched BvS the whole way through due to my general uninterest but I looked up the Jimmy Olsen scene and the whole "African shithole barbaric soldiers" thing left a bad taste in my mouth, as an African.

They aren't shown to be any worse than the white dudes in the same scene.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And in fact they're actively better than most of the white dudes on screen.

Don't forget that half of them were secretly Lex goons who then murdered and flamethrowered them at the first chance, and the FBI/CIA/Military/whoever was waiting to drone strike them into oblivion

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know how movies sometimes add a china subplot to do better in china? Maybe this movie is really banking on making it big with Eastern Europe and that is why there is a huge pointless subplot with that family

It already opened in China.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

It already opened in China.

Reading things can be hard, I know, but go back and read what he actually wrote this time friend

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They aren't shown to be any worse than the white dudes in the same scene.

Yea aside from maybe the "leader" (who is being manipulated by the mercs anyway) they mostly look like scared villagers who've been drafted into this civil war. The brutal ones are the mercs who bully and kill Olsen and then murder all the actual locals a few moments later.

They could have fleshed it out a bit better to be sure, you only got to see these guys for a few seconds, so there's not time for much more than a quick first impression. It's easy to see "barbaric Africans" being the takeaway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol at ppl trying to argue me out of having an instinctive visceral reaction to African stereotyping after a lifetime of having to deal with that poo poo.

Dusty cow filled hellhole who's only noticeable detail is the white people deigning to visit it
Those white people are immediately threatened by black people wearing turbans and a dashiki?!
No attempt at charterization, just some nonsense blather from the main guy
Who immediately just executes one of those white people
Who then holds up the pretty white lady before being creamed by Superman

It left a bad taste in my mouth. Like you can show the dangers invovled with being a journalist, but this is just lazy and relying on the tropes of dangerous Africans as a crutch.

And oh yeah

NAIROMI, AFRICA lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You're right, sorry for doing that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The dude was right too. They were in that position because of CIA intervention. That was one of the better things added into the Ultimate Cut. It's always a good thing when you show the CIA having operations in places they have no right to be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

No worries, man.

OTOH

Jimbot posted:

The dude was right too. They were in that position because of CIA intervention. That was one of the better things added into the Ultimate Cut. It's always a good thing when you show the CIA having operations in places they have no right to be.

Suuuuuuure

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do you feel the same about the "positive" stereotypes in Black Panther?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you feel the same about the "positive" stereotypes in Black Panther?

I love BP, and pretty much any black person I know does too. What the hell are you talking about?

e: I feel like I've had a weird race convo with you before

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

e: I feel like I've had a weird race convo with you before

You probably have. It's a valid question, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm just telling you my interpretation of that sequence in the context of watching the movie and not looking up youtube clips. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that, I'm just arguing that it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Me watching it on youtube is a fair point, but I still feel my point still stands since that seems to be only part of the movie depicting those African characters directly.

You probably have. It's a valid question, though.

Seriously, I don't know what you mean by positive stereotypes in BP.

BP shows Africans as superheroes, scientists, and an advanced civilization. Its basically a few droplets of waters in a desert of negative stereotypes for Africans and African Americans, and so any black nerd knowledeable enough to know about BP is gonna hold onto it for dear life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

Seriously, I don't know what you mean by positive stereotypes in BP.

BP shows Africans as superheroes, scientists, and an advanced civilization. Its basically a few droplets of waters in a desert of negative stereotypes for Africans and African Americans, and so any black nerd knowledeable enough to know about BP is gonna hold onto it for dear life.

Nerds are wrong as ever. Already have bad vibes from the trailer promising a putatively futuristic society concerned with a medieval succession crisis.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, it's not perfect and I agree with you that they could have been handled better. It was kind of weak characterization for an event that basically is the catalyst for the entire movie. But through-out the movie it's shown that those folk are disposable to rich and/or power white folk who use that tragedy to judge Superman while ignoring their own hand (or government's) in the events that transpired. It's not fair to those characters for being disposable but it's not something that's done lightly or brushed over.

I'll have to give it another watch and see that sequence through that lens. Goodness knows any excuse to watch that or Man of Steel again is a good thing in my book. I'd avoid Justice League on those grounds too. Cyborg got butchered something fierce in the theatrical release if you go by any of these leaks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nerds are wrong as ever. Already have bad vibes from the trailer promising a putatively futuristic society concerned with a medieval succession crisis.

I'm sure this is going to launch into a discussion of either capitalism or feudalism, but I feel like pointing out that a family leading a country and having a succession crisis is literally something that recently happened (behind-the-scenes, admittedly) in Cuba.

Also if we're going to talk about intellectual value Ta-Nahisi Coates is involved in its production, and he's one of the most prominent black intellectuals and pundits around, and specializes in systematic oppression and the impact of capital in continuing it.

Just wanted to head off any weird "marvel has no value" screed. Thank you for your time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Marvo is garbo. What're you gonna do about it, nerd?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sure this is going to launch into a discussion of either capitalism or feudalism, but I feel like pointing out that a family leading a country and having a succession crisis is literally something that recently happened (behind-the-scenes, admittedly) in Cuba.

Also if we're going to talk about intellectual value Ta-Nahisi Coates is involved in its production, and he's one of the most prominent black intellectuals and pundits around, and specializes in systematic oppression and the impact of capital in continuing it.

TNC has nothing whatsoever on Christopher Priest's run on the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder if they'll have Wakanda turn into a republic by film's end or wait for the sequel. If they end up going that route at all.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Priest's run on Black Panther was phenomenal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Priest's run on Black Panther was phenomenal.

What Milestone brought to mainstream comics was nuance. It wasn't enough to make Icon a Black Superman, he was specifically a Super Booker T. Washington. Stuff like this necessarily has to be a critique, otherwise it has no point. I dread Black Iron Man.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

What Milestone brought to mainstream comics was nuance. It wasn't enough to make Icon a Black Superman, he was specifically a Super Booker T. Washington. Stuff like this necessarily has to be a critique, otherwise it has no point. I dread Black Iron Man.

The one played by Shaq, the one played by Worf or the one from the Death and Return of Superman?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrJacobs posted:

The one played by Shaq, the one played by Worf or the one from the Death and Return of Superman?

Bitch how dare you. (Took me a minute)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, regardless of my feelings on Justice League itself, it's nice to live in a world where being a big-budget movie with a huge advertising budget based on a big IP doesn't by itself guarantee a profit, which was starting to seem like it was the case.

I’m trying to think of examples where a studio dumped whole hog into a tent pole franchise-maker movie recently and it ended up losing money. “Less successful than hoped for “ is common and describes BvS as well, but a legit flop?

I’m trying to decide if the Mummy counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
F4ntastic (2015)

• Locked thread