Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CharlestonJew posted:

Hemsworth and Goldblum are both great actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Phylodox posted:

And Hemsworth is charming now. You’re comparing apples and oranges and saying apples are inferior because you prefer oranges. It’s fine if you prefer Kurt Russel or Jeff Goldblum or Chris Pratt/Evans/Pine or Javier Bardem or Bruce Willis or whoever. But Hemsworth is really, really good at what he does. He’s handsome and has a talent for comedy. It’s not a style of comedy that you, specifically, like, but he does it well and many, many people like it.

sorry I keep forgetting people here are really touchy about stuff like this so allow me to break out the all-singing all-dancing opinion card again:

chris hemsworth is not funny enough to carry a movie like this

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Not... really? I feel like Ragnarok didn't slide into the quipping at all; they all felt emergent from the characters and the actor's strengths.

I mean, top jokes... "I have been FALLING for THIRTY MINUTES", Thor's whole bit about the snake, Thor's reaction to seeing Hulk, Loki's reaction to Thor getting slammed by Hulk, Jeff Goldblum's everything, Thor kinda just blindly keeping on going with the 'sun's going down' on Banner to his increasing irritation, every single thing Korg said... they're all pretty specific. And Thor's stuff particularly tended to play off a combination of him being a good-natured lunk and Hemsworth's fantastic comic timing and expressions.

Right, but most of those lines are situational, not driven by the characters.
There's exceptions of course, and with so many jokes a lot land well. I liked Loki's bits the most overall, and everything Goldbloom said worked well.

What I didn't like is that there isn't a character who doesn't do the same cracking wise at some point. It's especially grating when it's seemingly to no person in particular (i.e. to the audience).
At no point in the film did I ever feel a scene would remain dramatic at any point, and that took a lot of bite out of it. I can't remember every moment where comedy underscored things that were played a lot better in previous MCU movies, but there was just an overwhelming feeling of "big colourful weightless nothingness". e.g. Why even have moments like Thor being disfigured, if the director doesn't seem to have the character even take an emotional pause for it happening?

Despite all this I did like the film, it could have just been so much more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

sorry I keep forgetting people here are really touchy about stuff like this so allow me to break out the all-singing all-dancing opinion card again:

In my opinion the sky is red. But you can't say I'm wrong because it's just my opinion! Checkmate liberals!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

enraged_camel posted:

In my opinion the sky is red. But you can't say I'm wrong because it's just my opinion! Checkmate liberals!

what

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

They’re intimating that your opinion is unsupported by facts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phylodox posted:

They’re intimating that your opinion is unsupported by facts.

That's because it's an opinion based in personal taste, as are most opinions. I'm not stating some kind of scientific thesis here, it's just a discussion about a movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's because it's an opinion based in personal taste, as are most opinions. I'm not stating some kind of scientific thesis here, it's just a discussion about a movie.

Well, I mean, you’re saying Chris Hemsworth doesn’t have the chops to front a comedy when he just fronted a wildly popular and highly regarded comedy, so...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Guess who just got the FRIENDS font!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The delivery of the snake story is one of the best jokes in the movie and it's 100% Hemsworth's execution that makes it work.

Edit: I'm not sure that he could carry a comedy by himself, but fortunately Thor Ragnarok has a really strong cast all the way around.

It also has Anthony Hopkins's most engaged performance in the MCU.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 25, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phylodox posted:

Well, I mean, you’re saying Chris Hemsworth doesn’t have the chops to front a comedy when he just fronted a wildly popular and highly regarded comedy, so...

And I don't think he does, in my opinion. I think he's appealing and people like him, which is fine, but I don't really enjoy him - I enjoyed everyone around him, but he's sort of an absent spot for me and he kept getting upstaged by everyone else. Mostly I just wish these movies were a little sharper and more sure of themselves - Ragnarok is by far the best one I've seen (I liked it) because it has its own attitude and, overall, sticks to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Guess who just got the FRIENDS font!

was it me? i think it was me!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hemsworth is naturally skilled at comedy. It was his idea in Thor 2 to hang his hammer on the hat rack. There were a few other mannerisms I remember reading about thay he came up with that helps him be the charming arrogant and not the smug arrogant. He embodies the man child of Thor so perfectly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My favorite Thor bit is still the blooper where he reaches out for the hammer but misses and it just sails on up past him without a care in the world.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

swickles posted:

Hemsworth is naturally skilled at comedy. It was his idea in Thor 2 to hang his hammer on the hat rack. There were a few other mannerisms I remember reading about thay he came up with that helps him be the charming arrogant and not the smug arrogant. He embodies the man child of Thor so perfectly.

Thor: "Strongest Avenger"
Quinjet: Access denied
Thor: "Strongest Avenger"
Quinjet: Access denied

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, considering the director said that 95% of the dialogue was from improvisation, its likely that the snake story was improv'd. Q.E.D. Hemsworth is a comedic genius with 95% certainty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dude, you got triggered by guns in a movie with people getting killed by swords thrown by gods.

Perhaps this style of movie isn’t for you. I hear “Wonder” is pleasant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khablam posted:

Right, but most of those lines are situational, not driven by the characters.
There's exceptions of course, and with so many jokes a lot land well. I liked Loki's bits the most overall, and everything Goldbloom said worked well.

What I didn't like is that there isn't a character who doesn't do the same cracking wise at some point.

Really? I felt like nearly all of the comedy was similar to what I described; there was barely any wisecracking. Except for occasionally Thor trying to wisecrack and it deliberately falling flat as the punchline.

quote:

e.g. Why even have moments like Thor being disfigured, if the director doesn't seem to have the character even take an emotional pause for it happening?

There was a pause for that! On the ship, at the end, when he was fitting the eyepatch on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 26, 2017

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

MikeJF posted:

I have been FALLING for THIRTY MINUTES

Hahaha yeah that was the best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thor's failed wisecracks make me think he's trying to act like the funny people on Earth and failing at it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like Hemsworth a lot and think he has some comedic chops but come on, it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s a comedic genius on the basis of this and Ghostbusters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Like, he’s passable but I wouldn’t call him a comedic genius. The way he plays the role is a little too vacu-formed to be properly funny - it’s like corporate jazz, the syncopation is technically there but it’s missing the little kick that catches you off guard.

LingcodKilla posted:

Dude, you got triggered by guns in a movie with people getting killed by swords thrown by gods.

Perhaps this style of movie isn’t for you. I hear “Wonder” is pleasant.

You are cordially invited to consume the entirety of my posterior.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The way he plays the role is a little too vacu-formed to be properly funny - it’s like corporate jazz, the syncopation is technically there but it’s missing the little kick that catches you off guard.

which rotten tomatoes "critic" are you

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

enraged_camel posted:

which rotten tomatoes "critic" are you

The one with the really blurry picture that kinda looks like your dad.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vegetable posted:

I like Hemsworth a lot and think he has some comedic chops but come on, it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s a comedic genius on the basis of this and Ghostbusters.

Honestly, I think given time and more comedic roles he can definitely become one of the greats

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The one with the really blurry picture that kinda looks like your dad.

oh my

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Now this, this is humor

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Guns aren't funny anymore.

edit sorry i keep forgetting here it is be assuaged

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 26, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Loved the movie, and it’s my new favorite marvel film.

That scene really took me out of the movie and rubbed me the wrong way. Felt super poorly timed and I cannot believe they left it in, let alone put the scene in the movie to begin with.

I’m a super liberal California coastal elite, so I get that I’m THE demographic that would feel the way I did. I’m sure my raised-in-rural-Pennsylvania wife wouldn’t have batted an eye. My 15 year old daughter thought it was loving weird too, though.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean yeah the first scene where he goes "I found these in Midgard in a place called Tex-ahs" was pretty drat funny, but him using them was really tone-deaf and also out of place.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No it wasn't.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Guns are rad -- including those guns.

(pew pew pew!)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CelticPredator posted:

No it wasn't.

Yeh it ruled

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As a fellow foreigner I absolutely understand why Waititi included it. It’s the absolute caricature of gun-wielding Americans

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It makes literally no sense and it's only in because it was a big moment in a thor comic like 30 years ago or whatever. It's fine to me but it's also total nonsense.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ragnarok wouldn't have happened if Thor had had a gun.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I have no idea who that guy is supposed to be and saw nothing wrong or strange about that scene - the reluctant bad guy gets a heroic last stand for his redemption, with a callback to his introduction. :shrug:

Is this like how movies refused to show any kind of tower crumble because 9:11, so now since there was a shooting movies can't have guns in them for a while? Even if this were a thing that scene was probably shot long before that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The Black Widow movie can just be John Wick except with her shooting hundreds of pink squidpeople.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

In It For The Tank posted:

Ragnarok wouldn't have happened if Thor had had a gun.

The only thing that can stop a bad god with a gun is a good god with a gun!

Vegetable posted:

As a fellow foreigner I absolutely understand why Waititi included it. It’s the absolute caricature of gun-wielding Americans

but also this

• Locked thread