Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Charlie Bobson posted:

Polygon did a pretty cool article about Shadow of War and how it deals with slavery

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/24/16525486/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-slavery-orc-enslavement

I'm not super sure how I feel about polygon as a whole but stuff like this makes me lean towards liking them

Is this like the first time he's ever heard of Lord of the Rings or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Pneub posted:

Is this like the first time he's ever heard of Lord of the Rings or what?

The game could replace the wildly loose adaptation of LOTR content with a generic fantasy setting and the article would still make sense. Could you say more?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Video Game Theater has become must watch stuff for me every week. It's so over the top dorky, I love it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

poor life choice posted:

The game could replace the wildly loose adaptation of LOTR content with a generic fantasy setting and the article would still make sense. Could you say more?

Let's ignore the problem of conflating humans and orcs, versus orcs and any other species. Also put aside the fact that the largest part of the argument here is entirely dependent upon the assumption that failing to provide extra development time to add in features that really only matter for the context of the argument was done to make a social and intellectual point and not things like budget, time constaints, and feature creep. I think the biggest problem with the article can be summed up with this one quote:

quote:

I firmly believe that Shadow of War wants to be in this pantheon of games about ideas.

That's a stretch. Sure maybe some individuals on the project had that view but this is a big budget release with one of the top tier controlling publishers behind it that was put together by hundreds of people using a well established IP. If the game can be said to be about an idea, the only common factor across all of that was the idea of making the most ROI and giving people a fun game.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 11, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW76Jh4gcY

no awful squad PUBG, they're doing gang beasts as no one wants to play a shooting game right now (another mass shooting)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Simone once held a lemon party. She has never known about the website.

Holy crap, poor Simone.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

timp posted:

Here's a little throwback if you enjoy Monster Factory material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXxfabOa_Gg

This is one of my favorites. "Excuse me, my own truck! I hit you, myself."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Those old gameplay overview videos are so inconsistent. Stuff like that and car mechanic are as funny as anything they’ve recently done, while others, even the ones with the McElroys are just like “uhhh here’s what this games about, check it out if you want see you later”

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The old polygon videos still had the premise of being informative instead of letting the video team do whatever crazy poo poo they feel like. Back then the McElroy videos were kind of the exception for the video content.

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009
Saw this earlier, it's super good:

Why Hitman is my favorite trans game: a comic

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Vox is a union shop now.

http://www.voxunion.org/whyorganize/

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That's especially good to see after Gothamist was shut down for organizing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Penny Arcade fired some shots today at Polygon via their strip

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Penny arcade is the worst part of penny arcade

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The new Polygon Jackbox session has some amazing moments that had me rolling. Pat maybe won fibbage all the time forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

omg chael crash posted:

Penny Arcade fired some shots today at Polygon via their strip

Sucks not being relevant anymore, I guess.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Roach Warehouse posted:

The new Polygon Jackbox session has some amazing moments that had me rolling. Pat maybe won fibbage all the time forever.

That moment convinced me Pat needs to start doing videos with Griffin to replace that Nick shaped hole in the world. His humor is so drat dry and amazing.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

wow that penny arcade strip sure is harsh

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

inferis posted:

wow that penny arcade strip sure is harsh

I don't get it, is this the "I am cool and calm about this. I am the better man." character or the "NOT ME! I'M DUMB AND SO GODDAMN CRAZY!" character?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Jerry is just salty because his d&d show is streets behind Griffin's magnum opus.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

creationist believer posted:

I don't get it, is this the "I am cool and calm about this. I am the better man." character or the "NOT ME! I'M DUMB AND SO GODDAMN CRAZY!" character?

It's an edit. The actual strip is three panels of them saying The Punisher show must be great and amazing because the Polygon review questioned it's timing after Las Vegas, and everything Polygon says is wrong.

Then it just kind of ended without a real punchline, because after years and years of making comics, they still don't know how the gently caress a three panel comic works.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It's an edit. The actual strip is three panels of them saying The Punisher show must be great and amazing because the Polygon review questioned it's timing after Las Vegas, and everything Polygon says is wrong.

Then it just kind of ended without a real punchline, because after years and years of making comics, they still don't know how the gently caress a three panel comic works.

I didn't waste my time looking at the penny arcade website, I just thought the thesis was either "Look at those dumb Polygon people, writing articles about how Hitman reflects the experience of a trans person like an art critic" or "Look at those dumb Polygon people, making videos where they play PUBG poorly and laugh a lot". I saw the image on twitter earlier with the caption "In a few months, my comics will also be a paragraph about my viewpoint without a punchline" and didn't realize it was an edit. Somehow the real explanation is even stupider than what I thought it was.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes I think Polygon's writers huff farts too, but I don't feel it's a very interesting opinion. Some of the reviews, and especially the written ones, are a bit pretentious for the medium they're regarding, so I don't always agree with Polygon's reviews.

Penny Arcade decided that was a hot enough take to make a few cents per hundred clicks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Sometimes I think Polygon's writers huff farts too, but I don't feel it's a very interesting opinion. Some of the reviews, and especially the written ones, are a bit pretentious for the medium they're regarding, so I don't always agree with Polygon's reviews.

Penny Arcade decided that was a hot enough take to make a few cents per hundred clicks.

Yeah I find myself disagreeing with an awful lot of their reviews, honestly. Like, I suppose I don't disagree with them on the facts re: the moral implications of being an orc slaver in Shadow of War, but I had way more fun playing the video game than they appeared to. And I liked the new call of duty's campaign more or less but i'm willing to be wrong about that one, those games are my guilty pleasure

That said, their videos are fun and penny arcade is the subway sandwich of web comics; inexplicably popular compared to the quality, and you get a stomach ache after consuming it sometimes

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I find myself disagreeing with an awful lot of their reviews, honestly. Like, I suppose I don't disagree with them on the facts re: the moral implications of being an orc slaver in Shadow of War, but I had way more fun playing the video game than they appeared to. And I liked the new call of duty's campaign more or less but i'm willing to be wrong about that one, those games are my guilty pleasure

That said, their videos are fun and penny arcade is the subway sandwich of web comics; inexplicably popular compared to the quality, and you get a stomach ache after consuming it sometimes

I'm absolutely 200% certain the shadow of war review was not aimed at anybody who actually plays shadow of war. It was a hot take to draw the attention of people who don't bother playing those games anyway, and I'm sure it paid off pretty big for them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm absolutely 200% certain the shadow of war review was not aimed at anybody who actually plays shadow of war. It was a hot take to draw the attention of people who don't bother playing those games anyway, and I'm sure it paid off pretty big for them.

Nah, I really don't think that's the case. It's genuinely something that's tonally off with both games in the series and I don't think they were just making their feelings up about it for clicks. The conversation about it with Waypoint's Austin Walker is worth reading: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...ement-lootboxes

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

When you finally fight Bruz, you're encouraged to "shame" him. Talion can use his spirit-infused hand to literally brand his handprint into the face of a high-level orc or troll, shaming him in front of his entire species. (...) When I did it, Bruz went mad. He became so distressed that he went insane. There's a mechanic in SoW that allows for this to happen; it's possible that when you shame an enemy, they become so distressed at the possibility of being humbled that they literally become a raving, gibbering character.

Bruz comes back. I found him guarding a fortress, and the only thing he could say was "I don't want the fort." He screamed it, over and over again, impressing that he did not really want the fort. His whole being had been compressed down into that one thing (a metaphor for the life of these NPCs, eh?). So I killed him in combat, hoping that would at least put my heart at ease about what I had done to him. Then he came back, again, in a surprise encounter. He wasn't really dead, and he still didn't want the fort. This time I decapitated him, hoping that it was finally the end of this haunting set of encounters.

He showed up again, though. He'd been resurrected by a necromancer. He had a cage over his face, and it held the head I had sliced off in perfect position. When I triggered his fight, he did not speak. He simply stared into the camera.

Wtf??? Whose idea of fun is this? In the first game the Orcs were more caricatures and it was still hosed up. So they decided to make the Orcs more like people and also make the stuff that happens to them more awful. Have fun!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ariong posted:

Wtf??? Whose idea of fun is this? In the first game the Orcs were more caricatures and it was still hosed up. So they decided to make the Orcs more like people and also make the stuff that happens to them more awful. Have fun!

Honestly, I played that same sequence of events (except the very last part) and I found it more funny than horrifying, and I think it was still supposed to be comic relief. If you describe it in the way they do then yeah I guess it does look pretty raw

I think maybe the devs underestimated players’ readiness to humanize and empathize with the orcs

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In the first game, the Orcs were 10x more intersting and relatable than any other character (except the dwarf from the DLC) so I’m not sure why they thought it would be any different this time around.

EDIT: I should clarify that I played the first game a fair bit and enjoyed it, so I don’t have a vendetta against the franchise or anything. Just seems like they made bad desicions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That dwarf huffs farts tho. I enjoyed ignoring the story entirely and changing my skin to the elf lady to have Danerys Targaryhssjn's Big Orc Adventure instead.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing about the whole domination mechanic is that it seems like it could've easily been about "removing Sauron's control" or something, and they'd all willingly join your side afterwards. I suppose that'd make the terrible things you can do to orcs even worse, though, so I dunno if that's an improvement.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

The weirdest thing about the whole domination mechanic is that it seems like it could've easily been about "removing Sauron's control" or something, and they'd all willingly join your side afterwards. I suppose that'd make the terrible things you can do to orcs even worse, though, so I dunno if that's an improvement.

Yeah I feel like the reason I can’t feel too too evil about orc enslaving is that they’re slaves already aren’t they? They were doomed to this life long before you met them, it’s not like they’re carefree hobbits living their best life independently before you show up and ruin everything.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The games seem to be mostly about making a grimdark version of LotR that show the horrors of war. Not to challenge the nature of the original story or make the audience question romanticising war, but because grimdark stuff and decaptitations are cool. Which is fine, people can enjoy what they want. But they shouldn't pretend there aren't hosed up implications behind it and get all huffy when others mention it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I played about 3 hours of the first game and put it down forever but that was more out of boredom than feeling bad for the orcs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, Talion is explicitly not a hero, not in it for noble reasons and is highly prone to being persuaded by power.
He gives Ghost Dad some guff but then goes along with his plans anyway.

It's more like Spec Ops. Talion chose this war, he chose to be a slave master and chose to exploit the minds of being he sees as "lesser" all the while giving himself comfort that his reasons are noble. The games are not subtle about this at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, Talion is explicitly not a hero, not in it for noble reasons and is highly prone to being persuaded by power.
He gives Ghost Dad some guff but then goes along with his plans anyway.

It's more like Spec Ops. Talion chose this war, he chose to be a slave master and chose to exploit the minds of being he sees as "lesser" all the while giving himself comfort that his reasons are noble. The games are not subtle about this at all.

For fuckssake, at the end of Shadows of War, Talion is so driven for power, revenge and conquest that he willingly becomes a Ringwraith.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pigbuster posted:

Or, as Chris Plante suggested in the most recent episode of The Besties, they could have established the fact that the orcs respect and want to follow strength. I think it may even be a point established already by Tolkien himself. Beat the orcs in battle, and they come to respect you and follow you willfully. So yeah, seems like there were a number of ways it could have been handled.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

timp posted:

Or, as Chris Plante suggested in the most recent episode of The Besties, they could have established the fact that the orcs respect and want to follow strength. I think it may even be a point established already by Tolkien himself. Beat the orcs in battle, and they come to respect you and follow you willfully. So yeah, seems like there were a number of ways it could have been handled.

They mention that cultural point in the games a lot and yeah, if they wanted Talion to be a good dude fighting for justice with u likely allies they should have done that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Holy hell the latest awful squad was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

timp posted:

Well in Tolkien's lore, the orcs are also evil and petty and incapable of being good.