Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Volkerball posted:

Still early for all the details, but as of now it seems that nearly 200 people have been killed during a terrorist attack on a Sufi mosque in the Sinai. Likely ABM/ISIS responsible. It's a disaster.

Yeah it seems pretty bad

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/934062259537670144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Keeps going up

quote:

Egypt attack: More than 230 killed in Sinai mosque
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

He's... not wrong?

E: about the mess, not the idea of him getting it all done (lol)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/anhistorian/status/934080718816399361

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/934131805409697792
If only we had the Wall then Egypt might have been spared!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"God bless Egypt and the Egyptians. Now let's hurry up and ban any of them from entering the US!"

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Farce following tragedy is happening pretty quickly these days huh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/934162025051279360

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This is the most non-news news I have ever heard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like this is the same crap as always though....we are told that involvement in an area is minimal, and then without warning we find out that there are thousands of troops on the ground.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

What a cool would we would live in if Gaddafi was writing nytimes op eds and Friedman got a knife in the butt.

We should coax all third world dictators into retirement by giving them NYT and WaPo opinion columns and sending the current ones to bear responsibility for their crimes. We could have had Mugabe, Saddam, Gaddaffi, Assad, Fatty Kim, all together

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This seems significant, though I guess we could just go back to pretending only the Arab elements of the SDF receive weapons and/or the Pentagon could remind Trump he has no idea what he's talking about and convince him to change his mind.

https://twitter.com/rebeccagberg/status/934099715611865088

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He might have promised to stop arming the PKK/YPG, a designated terrorist organization and completely unrelated to the Syrian Democratic Forces made up of Syrians who are for democracy you see.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trumps promises of doing something have always been contingent on someone not dangling anything shiny in front of his eyes. Which is probably why Erdoman went public with the call right away.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/us-foreign-policy-middle-east-russia-syria-doesnt-exist-anymore-a8072056.html

quote:

Time was when a mere statement from a secretary of state – let alone a US president – would have the phones jangling across the Middle East. The Reagans, Clintons, Bushes or Obamas of this world actually did have an effect on the region, albeit often malign, US leaders being poorly briefed and always in awe of Israel (not to mention its power to destroy political lives in Washington). But today, who is calling the shots across the old Ottoman Empire?

What has not changed, however, in all these years, is the pit of injustice, impoverishment, educational ignorance, fear and indignity in which the Arab and Muslim peoples live in the Middle East. And not one of the “new” leaders who are taking over from the Americans is doing anything to alleviate either the corruption that is the great sickness of the Arab world or the inequality and tribal politics which the Ottoman Empire bequeathed to the Middle East when it collapsed. Humanism has retreated rather than advanced and human and civil rights are now scarcely mentioned in the context of the region. The great Arab revolutions have played themselves out, in some cases – in Egypt, for example – actually re-infantalising their people to yet again love deep state dictators and brutal cops and generals with governessy eagles on their cap badges.Perhaps Saudi Arabia is a revolution still to come. I have always thought that the day the royal princes started locking each other up might be the beginning of the end of the Kingdom.

But there is precious little reason to find any optimism across the smashed and rubbleised landscape of the Middle East. And we should remember that it was from this place of abject sorrow that al-Qaeda emerged, and then Isis and the whole gamut of frightening men with hoods and knives which still exists in the deserts of Iraq and Syria and across Africa from Sinai to Mali. And what new monster is going to arrive next?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Squalid posted:

Involvement is much deeper than just the bombing campaign, especially in Somalia. Anyway, asking why doesn't the US just stop bombing Yemen is like asking why doesn't the US pull out of Afghanistan. It's not that the US couldn't, but if it did, the immediate result would make US politicians look really bad. Likewise doing anything that might change the situation favorably for the US would be so expensive it would also be an incredible political liability, as well as the opportunity cost probably vastly exceeding the benefits. Much easier political to contribute the minimum bombs/guns/soldiers necessary to just keep chaos continuing indefinitely.

Anyway in other news the Afghan opium crop had another record busting year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/opium-production-afghanistan-sets-record-2017-11

When trying to understand a civil war like Afghanistan I try to identify factors that can function as feedback loops that positively or negatively effect the course of a conflict. The Afghan government has conceded control of the country side, and coalition allies have even drawn up strategic plans based around the principle of securing urban populations. However in Afghanistan wealth much of the wealth is still derived from the land-the more rural territory the Taliban occupy, the more heroin they can sell, and the more money they have to hire more men to seize more land and sell more heroin, etc. This is a virtuous cycle that strengthens the Taliban and weakens the government.

Record smashing opium crops are terrible news for the government any way you slice it.

According to my best friend who recently had to leave Afghanistan due to being targetted (as any medium to high level NGO/IGO worker is now) by the Taliban, its a loving lost cause. The Taliban have effective control of the majority of the country and can reach into governmental areas in Kabul at will.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The latest assessment by the top US general in Afghanistan is that it’s a stalemate, but they’ll use more troops and advisers and a wider bombing campaign to turn it around.

That’s the rosy outlook from a US general.

:smith:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Its amazing at how much of a lack of American presence is at this thing. A total void of leadership and acquesiance to Russian leadership. Whatever.

mlmp08 posted:

The latest assessment by the top US general in Afghanistan is that it’s a stalemate, but they’ll use more troops and advisers and a wider bombing campaign to turn it around.

That’s the rosy outlook from a US general.

:smith:

This is a very conservative estimate by the Nytimes that's already outdated.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yeah the linkage of blackwater which doesn't even exist anymore (I think even Xe might be defunct) and the fact its the daily mail makes that particular claim look super bullshit. But yeah they're obvi being tortured by someone.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the linkage of blackwater which doesn't even exist anymore (I think even Xe might be defunct)

They're as defunct as the United Fruit Company, which is to say, they just change their name from time to time to get rid of the bad press. Nowadays, they go by Academi.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Deathtoll from that attack in Egypt now stands at 305, probably going to still get higher.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Its amazing at how much of a lack of American presence is at this thing. A total void of leadership and acquesiance to Russian leadership. Whatever.

It’s not that America just didn’t show up. The US was deliberately not invited.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

They're as defunct as the United Fruit Company, which is to say, they just change their name from time to time to get rid of the bad press. Nowadays, they go by Academi.

is there any PMC that doesn't accrue so much bad press time and time again that they have to change their name constantly? seems a difficult sector in which to develop a lasting brandname.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I could say a lot about Robert Fisk but this article is incredibly spot on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/jricole/status/934315235489456128

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 25, 2017

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

In all seriousness, do you have a get out plan in case things go to all Hell?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm deliberately not quoting in case you decide to edit, but at this point you really seem to be out on a limb way past the kinds of things people used to say "stop trying to get Al Saqr killed" about. Posting anonymously on a dead American forum probably isn't the biggest threat to MBS, but even using that particular phrase ironically seems ill advised.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I'm deliberately not quoting in case you decide to edit, but at this point you really seem to be out on a limb way past the kinds of things people used to say "stop trying to get Al Saqr killed" about. Posting anonymously on a dead American forum probably isn't the biggest threat to MBS, but even using that particular phrase ironically seems ill advised.

Fine. I'll change the posts.

I'm fine, don't worry about me.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
In before Al-Saqr is MBS himself

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

In all seriousness, do you have a get out plan in case things go to all Hell?

There's only three situations right now that would legitimately make me afraid:-

1) that the financial or economic structure of the country collapses, and the government becomes insolvent.

2) the purges start becoming wide and deep enough that it affects all of society big and small people, which isn't the case right now.

3) that there's an actual bloodletting and mutual assasination thing going on amongs the princes, which would absolutely mean that the country is on the verge of collapse.

Until one of those three things happen I'm not overly concerned.if something does happen I'll take a plane to a relative somewhere out of the country or something, but right now there's no reason at all to worry.

I'm just really sad, really exhausted and really depressed. Watching everything go to poo poo in every conceivable way and being so totally helpless to stop it despite knowing that a better future is really possible, watching so many people so willingly get swept up in insane stupid fake nationalism and celebrate something so harmful and cruel to them, it really eats you up inside and darkens your days to no end. I would definitely say that the destruction of the Arab spring has legitimately ruined my ability to enjoy life in a lot of ways, I wish I didn't have to post and impotently scream on a forum but what the gently caress else am I going to do? I need to say something, anything, because if I don't I will legitimately go insane and take it out on people around me. I destroyed a relationship with a childhood friend when he started praising Sisi, I started screaming at him like a madman and insulting him in ways I can never take back, and after I was done laying on him he cried right in front of me and started calling me a terrorist to my face, me, someone who just wants him to have free elections, the right to free speech and political freedom, and we've stopped speaking to the each other. I don't regret it since he's a fascist idiot so I'm better off without his 'friendship', but holy poo poo that experience made me act in a guttural anger I never thought I was capable of, & if I want to survive in a world of idiots and fascists I have to learn to vent online, but because we're in geohell, there's no way I can vent other than in anonymous forums where I can wrap my despair and anguish and hatred of fascism in irony and snark.

rear end struggle posted:

Holy poo poo don't Doxx me Brah.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 25, 2017

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry man, I recently lost a friend(or someone who I thought was a friend but turned out not to be) at a very difficult time in my life too and it's the worst. You don't know who you can trust any more and whether it's you who's the crazy one. I've slowly gotten better but it's still not great.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dubai police chief 'Crazy Dhahi' calls for aljazeera to be bombed

https://twitter.com/rulajebreal/status/934518864922202112

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello this is your daily reminder to continue procrastinating on writing that OP

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there any possible that ISIS didn't attack the Sinai mosque? I could see both Sisi and MBS doing something this awful.

https://twitter.com/intelwire/status/934451950095134721

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there any possible that ISIS didn't attack the Sinai mosque? I could see both Sisi and MBS doing something this awful.

https://twitter.com/intelwire/status/934451950095134721

Its a big blow to Sisi's image and legitimacy. If a military dictator can't keep down a rebellion and keep people safe, what's he good for?

If MBS was behind this for some bizarre reason, there'd be reports hezbollah was behind it.

The rebellion in the Sinai is several years old at this point. This attack was a bit different in how it targeted civilians, but its not like this came out of nowhere. IS and affiliates routinely blow up mosques of people they deem insufficiently muslim.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

rear end struggle posted:

MBS confirmed having (fake) multiple personality disorder would be p epic.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm just really sad, really exhausted and really depressed. Watching everything go to poo poo in every conceivable way and being so totally helpless to stop it despite knowing that a better future is really possible, watching so many people so willingly get swept up in insane stupid fake nationalism and celebrate something so harmful and cruel to them, it really eats you up inside and darkens your days to no end. I would definitely say that the destruction of the Arab spring has legitimately ruined my ability to enjoy life in a lot of ways, I wish I didn't have to post and impotently scream on a forum but what the gently caress else am I going to do? I need to say something, anything, because if I don't I will legitimately go insane and take it out on people around me. I destroyed a relationship with a childhood friend when he started praising Sisi, I started screaming at him like a madman and insulting him in ways I can never take back, and after I was done laying on him he cried right in front of me and started calling me a terrorist to my face, me, someone who just wants him to have free elections, the right to free speech and political freedom, and we've stopped speaking to the each other. I don't regret it since he's a fascist idiot so I'm better off without his 'friendship', but holy poo poo that experience made me act in a guttural anger I never thought I was capable of, & if I want to survive in a world of idiots and fascists I have to learn to vent online, but because we're in geohell, there's no way I can vent other than in anonymous forums where I can wrap my despair and anguish and hatred of fascism in irony and snark.

Seriously and unironically gonna derail this thread for a bit (cuz I'm a poor with no PM option), but you need to find some kind of practical way (no matter how small) of countering that which upsets you. I dunno what that is, but even if it's something impersonal like donating to a charity you trust or hell...just go outside sometime and be good to other people...no matter how little that something is, I guarantee it'll help counter the feeling of helplessness. Sure, you can argue: "But what's one little thing gonna help when everything else is going to hell?!" but the bottom line is you can't do anything about that. So you do what little you can and rest easy in the knowledge you did all you could at a time when most did nothing but poo poo around you. During the purges after WW2 the communists took my grandfather's brother from him and he was forced to disavow him ever having existed: "What brother? I never had one!" to make sure he and his family didn't follow too. It wasn't much, but that along with hiring legit poor folks that were willing to work and treating them fairly in those years when everything seemed bleak was what kept him going. You might not be able to do that much, but still...like I said, do what you can.

I dunno if this makes sense to you but...it genuinely can bring some peace to you is all I'm saying. And whatever that small practical way is, I hope you find one. Even if it does all go to poo poo eventually, at least you made someone's moments nicer for that little while.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 26, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the linkage of blackwater which doesn't even exist anymore (I think even Xe might be defunct) and the fact its the daily mail makes that particular claim look super bullshit. But yeah they're obvi being tortured by someone.

The part where the author says « and the name blackwater is being whispered » is where I realized that daily mail had accidentally found and published a Michael Crichton script when they thought it was investigative journalism. The article might be somewhat accurate but it reads like a 22 year old fan fiction draft of a future movie about MBS.

E: and also daily mail has a reputation for solid journalism alongside breitbart in that its news journalism but also not really.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

If only we had the Wall then Egypt might have been spared!

TOUGHER AND SMARTER *goes to war with Iran*