Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

iKon posted:

shhh, do you hear it? RIGHT 5 OVER CREST the sound of 300 DOUBLE CAUTION JUMP git gud HAIRPIN LEFT DON'T CUT

So I'm assuming a wheel and pedals are mandatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Syrian Lannister posted:

So I'm assuming a wheel and pedals are mandatory?

Nope. You can be pretty great on a controller.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man Dirt 4 just felt like something was missing. I'm not sure why both felt the need to take out the in game instant rewind...

Dirt I understand because it is the Dark Souls of racing but Dirt 4?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got a switch and zelda. It's way better than I thought a handheld would be (only 3hr battery tho)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

brand engager posted:

I got a switch and zelda. It's way better than I thought a handheld would be (only 3hr battery tho)

Switch is really cool. I recommend the pro controller too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wish the wii-u pro controller worked

yeah yeah gyro and fancy rumble whatever 🙄

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This has been a crazy year for video games. The Black Friday sales have been on fire.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how do you know if your power supply is going bad?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When it starts supplying smoke instead of power.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Does it smell like ozone?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

If you suspect the psu is about to eat shut, replace it now or else risk frying components.

A good one isn’t very expensive. Seasonic is a great brand.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you have sudden unexplained restarts, components failing, or crashes that you can't figure out, a good bet is your PSU.

Clean the thing out first though. Nobody remembers to do that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I've been having games crash for the past few months. counter strike would freeze for three seconds then fix itself and other games would crash unless I played with lowest video settings. I have an EVGA 770 that came overclocked and last night I underclocked it and the problems have *so far* gone away.

I was reading online that beyond the obvious flaw in video card, the PSU might be going bad and not allowing the card to pull enough power.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Mobo and psu are most likely. A bad video card throws up graphical errors

It sounds like the psu isnt putting out good power. I’d start there. How old is yours anyhow?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
My computer does this weird thing where if it's turned off for a day or more, it'll BSOD repeteadly on the first boot. The problem fixes itself and the system becomes rock stable if you turn the power off and on.

:pcgaming: PC GAMING :pcgaming:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Mobo and psu are most likely. A bad video card throws up graphical errors

It sounds like the psu isnt putting out good power. I’d start there. How old is yours anyhow?

four years old now

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

four years old now

Could actually be the video card. Since under clocking fixed it, it might have been making GBS threads out enough to cause driver crashes.

You should be able to install monitoring software to check your power supply voltages while running some stress test poo poo.

Prime 95 will load up CPU and memory.

Furmark will do poo poo to gpu.

See which (if any) crashes stuff while logging voltage.

Edit: windows event logs should have records of driver crashes

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Missionary Positron posted:

My computer does this weird thing where if it's turned off for a day or more, it'll BSOD repeteadly on the first boot. The problem fixes itself and the system becomes rock stable if you turn the power off and on.

:pcgaming: PC GAMING :pcgaming:

My very first computer build would BSOD on a cold boot, restart itself, then be completely fine. Not *quite* your issue, but my problem turned out to be a lovely memory stick, so try running MemTest stuff on a cold boot to see if that flags errors. Worth ruling it out!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have two regular PS4s but never upgraded to the PS4 Pro. I see Microsoft has a new XBox One X thing out that is supposed to offer true 4k video game rendering and 4k Bluray optical drive. It's 500 bucks but a UHD Bluray player itself is like 300 dollars right now. Am I insane to be thinking about buying one of these things to use on my fancy 4k TV that I have never used anything 4k on before?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just get an xbox one s for like $180

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

just get an xbox one s for like $180

Isn't the new XBONE X supposed to be the only console to render in 4k or some poo poo? I know the XBONE S has been slashed in price but I don't know if it's worth another 250 dollars to get the fancier one. I will probably just sell one of my PS4s since I don't use them anymore.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Isn't the new XBONE X supposed to be the only console to render in 4k or some poo poo? I know the XBONE S has been slashed in price but I don't know if it's worth another 250 dollars to get the fancier one. I will probably just sell one of my PS4s since I don't use them anymore.

Yeah the X can do 4k gaming. Kind of. Sorta. If you look at how expensive solid 4k delivering PC parts are, there is no way the One X is able to do 4k on everything. It cheats a bit.

Personally I'd say not with it but I'm fine with 1080p 60fps.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yea it’s a better performer than the PS4 pro, which isn’t a slouch either.

If you just want a UHD player, go for the S.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

if you care about 4k gaming and pixels get the X. The S from what I understand still does faux 4k sort of like the PS4 pro but not as good? But it has a 4k blu-ray player, so if that's all you mostly want, just get an S

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

facialimpediment posted:

My very first computer build would BSOD on a cold boot, restart itself, then be completely fine. Not *quite* your issue, but my problem turned out to be a lovely memory stick, so try running MemTest stuff on a cold boot to see if that flags errors. Worth ruling it out!

I've tried the Memtest thing, but didn't think to try it out on a cold boot. Thanks! The cpu & gpu pass stress tests with flying colors, and Memtest comes up clean as well after I've done on/off-boot sequence.

EDIT: MGS V is a serious game for serious people:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 26, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

if you care about 4k gaming and pixels get the X. The S from what I understand still does faux 4k sort of like the PS4 pro but not as good? But it has a 4k blu-ray player, so if that's all you mostly want, just get an S

The S has a 4K upscaler same as any 4K tv. It’s still the same under powered OG Xbox. The pro either runs supported software at higher resolution, uses checkerboarding techniques to mimic native 4K to an impressive degree, or runs games at native 4K.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Man, that ending to Wolfenstein 2 is loving satisfying.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love the end of the last mission too. Like the most ridiculous grindhouse movie outside of some Indonesian poo poo

It also makes me think we've been double-owl-creek-bridged and BJ's been dead since the execution :(

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 26, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vasudus posted:

If you have sudden unexplained restarts, components failing, or crashes that you can't figure out, a good bet is your PSU.

Clean the thing out first though. Nobody remembers to do that.

I had the restarts problem, a good dusting out took care of that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wolf 2 - When I saw the freaky rear end catmonkey I knew some weird poo poo was going to happen. I didn't expect what actually did happen. :vince:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
420 supreme commander every day

https://my.mixtape.moe/rfggyn.webm

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
re: PSU chat. Restarts are the usual symptom of a PSU on its way out, like Vas mentioned. If the machine is locking up, it may be that something is being undervolted. Check the voltage settings for your core components, particularly the CPU, against the actual voltage they're running at while under load (utilities like CPU-Z can do this). If their voltage under load isn't hitting the target voltage, you can try carefully bumping them up a wee bit in small increments until the machine is stable. You can stress test the machine with things like Furmark and Prime95. If you have AMD parts, AMD Overdrive will let you do this while the machine is running. There are almost certainly other utilities that will do the same. Once you find the stable voltage(s) you need, make those changes in BIOS.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 26, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You better loving believe I spent 10 dollars on Assassin creed monopoly coins to completely bypass all crafting in Origins.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Finally bought and played The Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn. Very good. New enemies are a gently caress ton harder, which lead to some serious frustration when being attacked by groups of some of the bigger ones, but it's still doable.

Good story, too. Still doing side quests now.

Gotta do NG+ soon. I'm kinda sad it's probably gonna be a couple years before HZD 2 comes out, but Guerilla put so much heart into this one that I don't doubt it'll be worth the wait.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 27, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So none of us in the loot box games thread can find data about how much this affects kids but a at least three people who worked in a school have said that this is a problem with the kids they worked with. Some kids even made fun of a sub for not buying overwatch loot boxes for christmas.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 27, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I still find it funny that while Jim Sterling and others were shouting from the mountain tops that loot boxes were all Blizzards and Valves fault, yet anyone who played FIFA knew that was where this poo poo really started.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I just took a quick glance at the most recent page in that thread and they're talking about kinder eggs and maybe someone conflating paid loot boxes with all gambling in games, like an in-game slot machine to win more game money poo poo. Idk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That video from the OP on the history of loot boxes was pretty good though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Started playing The Long Dark again after a decent break. Random startup in survival, found a rifle inside of the first two minutes. It can only mean I will die horribly the first day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Yo dudes with kids who may have access to phones.

https://www.deconstructoroffun.com/blog/2017/6/11/how-angry-birds-2-multiplied-quadrupled-revenue-in-a-year