Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It gets recommended a lot as a very good digital emulation of the nice quirks of hardware samplers. I really like their Juno chorus and I think their feed-forward compressor (or it's someone elses) and assume its even better, cause it's not free, but I don't do enough itb to justify spending money on software ($36 is also a Behringer pedal or a set of PCBs and panels or a BOM for a small module and thats where my head is at rn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

That reminds me. Sonic Charge has a free vst emulation of the TX16W. That’s the closest to good software sampler imo.

Using a computer instead of loving around with a floppy emulator on some archaic rackmount sampler just doesn’t feel right.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

vkeios posted:

Using a computer instead of loving around with a floppy emulator on some archaic rackmount sampler just doesn’t feel right.

I had a loaner Mirage for about a year, made me appreciate software.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

free Trapt CD posted:

Does anyone here have experience with string sample libraries that aren't geared towards the 'cinematic' sound? Always find myself wishing I could throw some string sections that are closer to the Motown or Philadelphia soul sound into the stuff I mock up at home, but don't have enough cash to try all the varieties. NI Session Strings is on sale, can anybody advise as to whether that would get me close? The Big Fish one seems to lack cello, which is a totally vital ingredient to the right kind of sound. Ability to write individual parts per instrument is a plus, I'm deep enough in this poo poo that I half consider buying the Samplemodeling stuff just so I can be totally anal about the articulations and things. More constructively, is there anything I've missed?
If you're considering Session Strings, get the Pro version, the basic one is next to useless (same with Session Horns). You should still be able to get a similar kind of sound from any string library that has small sections and close mics, LASS is fairly agile in that regard (it's really dry and one divisi section will get you a nice 4/3/3/2 ensemble), Sable (sold as Spitfire Chamber Strings nowadays) is 4/3/3/3 but it's a little harder to get a pop sound out of it. ProjectSAM's Swing More has a larger string section but it definitely does have the right sound.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're considering Session Strings, get the Pro version, the basic one is next to useless (same with Session Horns). You should still be able to get a similar kind of sound from any string library that has small sections and close mics, LASS is fairly agile in that regard (it's really dry and one divisi section will get you a nice 4/3/3/2 ensemble), Sable (sold as Spitfire Chamber Strings nowadays) is 4/3/3/3 but it's a little harder to get a pop sound out of it. ProjectSAM's Swing More has a larger string section but it definitely does have the right sound.

Any opinions about Session Strings Pro for disco-type strings that are somewhat convincing?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
TAL sampler is amazing. Don't bother with ancient media and falling circuitry and lovely DACs... Emulate them!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sliderule posted:

TAL sampler is amazing. Don't bother with ancient media and falling circuitry and lovely DACs... Emulate them!
I don't even care about the emulations. I just wanted a sampler plugin with a UI that made sense for use with single note samples. I bought a couple of cd-roms with shitloads of them in the late nineties and I want my money's worth out of them.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

W424 posted:

I had a loaner Mirage for about a year, made me appreciate software.

the mirage was a notoriously dogshit interface tho

i had an esq-1 and loved the sound and interface  t h a t V F D ! :allears: , but after seein how cheaply it was made when i replaced the battery i just flipped it like id intended all along :shrug:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I know this won’t work for everyone but using Ableton Live + Launchpad S has been working well as a makeshift sampler.

I have been taking a clip of audio samples from a record and using the Slice to MIDI function. You can choose a few different options but I slice everything to a drum rack with each midi clip going to its own sampler. This maps cleanly to my Launchpad and I can then modify various clip and launch parameters separately. You can also set up your own templates with your favorite sampler parameters already loaded for each clip.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

but after seein how cheaply it was made when i replaced the battery i just flipped it like id intended all along :shrug:
the ESQ is a tank after you fix the ribbon cable that comes loose and shorts out.. alot, if not all of those 80s digital/analog synths were built at a loss. it might look lovely but they're not undercooked like newer akai or arturia stuff. but i'm looking at it from the perspective of cheaply manufactured vs. prone to failure, like the holy grail eventide reverbs/pitch shifts which tended to catch on fire.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Clavavisage posted:

the ESQ is a tank after you fix the ribbon cable that comes loose and shorts out.. alot, if not all of those 80s digital/analog synths were built at a loss. it might look lovely but they're not undercooked like newer akai or arturia stuff. but i'm looking at it from the perspective of cheaply manufactured vs. prone to failure, like the holy grail eventide reverbs/pitch shifts which tended to catch on fire.

pasteboard is one thing; cardboard, another :shrug:

it sounded killer and had lasted decades before i bought it, but looking inside of it just did not inspire confidence so i was glad not to keep it around. :shrug:

byob historian fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 23, 2017

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Black Friday deals started on prymaxe, which apparently recently started carrying a small selection of synths. 30% off Korg stuff and 2hp/Malekko/Mutable Instruments/Qu-Bit modules, and possibly (not sure) 26% off Roland stuff. Finally pushed me to get a Minilogue, because apparently I hate money.

Detroit Modular and Control both have 10% off most stuff.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'm not sure if there's a drum machine thread, couldn't find one in the first couple of pages so excuse me if I'm at the wrong place.

I've been playing bass in bands for a decade or so and have finally gotten tired of bandmates, hah. I'm looking to getting into doing music with my bass, drum machine and a synth. I'd rather leave a computer out of the equation because I much prefer playing a "live instrument" so to speak.

I've been looking at a Novation Bass Station II for the synth, it seems like a good beginners synthesizer but good enough to pull off whatever I want to. Now the drum machine is where I haven't really found a decent alternative. I loaned an Akai Rhythm Wolf right now to play around with, and it honestly sounds like poo poo + there's no cymbals, only two hi hats that sound more or less the same.

Now I'm probably going for something like Godflesh / Neurosis / old school industrial kinda thing. What kind of a drum machine would go well in that style? Like, warm and raw and nasty, not vintage or futuristic.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm not sure if there's a drum machine thread, couldn't find one in the first couple of pages so excuse me if I'm at the wrong place.

I've been playing bass in bands for a decade or so and have finally gotten tired of bandmates, hah. I'm looking to getting into doing music with my bass, drum machine and a synth. I'd rather leave a computer out of the equation because I much prefer playing a "live instrument" so to speak.

I've been looking at a Novation Bass Station II for the synth, it seems like a good beginners synthesizer but good enough to pull off whatever I want to. Now the drum machine is where I haven't really found a decent alternative. I loaned an Akai Rhythm Wolf right now to play around with, and it honestly sounds like poo poo + there's no cymbals, only two hi hats that sound more or less the same.

Now I'm probably going for something like Godflesh / Neurosis / old school industrial kinda thing. What kind of a drum machine would go well in that style? Like, warm and raw and nasty, not vintage or futuristic.

-TR-8
-TR08
-TR09
-DrumBrute
-Like, 50 billion iOS apps that cost anywhere from $0.00 to $50+ (you can even use a midi controller) and include drum machine emulations and samplers
-A computer (if you set it up right it’s basically “a live instrument” and, depending on your software and controller, you won’t have to dive into the menu too much and also you can record into it at the same time you big silly)

DrumBrute has probably the warmest sound of the dedicated boxes but the Rolands are ubiquitous- more than you might initially think. Honestly, a lot of the “warm and nasty” sound that you’re after has more to do with effects and processing, or it’s a tweaked and processed sample and didn’t come straight out of a drum synthesizer.

If you’re on a budget and looking to get maximum flexibility, software is really going to be your best bet. A lot of important industrial tracks got made on computers and the most flexible samplers and drum synths for the money are still there. A lot of industrial beats have a bunch of digital effects on them regardless of how they’re initially produced or triggered. The rhythm wolf is garbage and whoever loaned it to you wanted to dissuade you from liking drum machines.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I started off with a Korg Minilogue as my first synth and then added a Roland TR-8 Drum Machine and have really enjoyed them both. They cover such a wide range of sounds and have a lot of parameters you can tweak and explore. I see these both on sale Used a lot so there is probably opportunity to save $100-$200 going that route which would make the pair pretty affordable.

I know you mentioned that you don’t want a computer in the mix because you like playing live, but having a computer opens up a ton of “live” possibilities, especially being able to record your jams.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

Samplebased samplebased samplebased. Elektron Digitakt. Now Elektron is not what people would call warm but that is mostly based on the Machinedrum, Analog Four etc. You can warm up samples and warmth is a very relative term anyway. I think the ability to pitchshift junkyard sounds and anvils getting hit will make you happier than a TR. Those are good too, but you have heard those sounds already.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
For digitakt money you could just pay someone in beer to play live drums and have plenty left over for other stuff. I get that newer gear is new but its not doing much stuff different than older junk, but im a bad consumer..
For industrial stuff look at something in the yamaha rx series or try to get a cheap roland r8, you can edit the sounds enough to make janky industrial beats and the sequencers are def significant for the job

Clavavisage fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The novation circuit can do a lot of fun stuff with samples. It comes with four sample lines for drums (and sample flipping extends that immensely) and two full synth lines. It's a great box for knocking out ideas in general, but its drum capabilities are pretty cool and the software to load them is easy as hell.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thanks everyone for the replies, there's a lot of info there and i'm quite new at this so i'll read through them carefully later and check out videos for the different gear.

i'll say though that i have a 2009 quadcore powermac at home and an imac for recording at our practise room, 8-track interface and a dozen or so mics. the reason i want to keep a computer out of the equation for this project is that i work with computers and would like to stay away from them when i'm making music, hah. also i'm a bit of a gear nut and pedals, amps and hardware in general, so it just doesn't feel the same working with software.

based on a couple of articles the electron digitakt looks awesome and pretty much what i'd want. it's a bit pricey, not totally out of my price range but def on the upper limit. thanks for the heads up with that. that said i read that godflesh used an alesis HR16. I see that a more modern(?) version, the SR16 is for sale at a very reasonable price on stores. what are you thoughts on it?

i actually got really lucky today, i was talking with a friend of mine on facebook and mentioned that i'm starting a solo project and need a synth. turns out he just quit a band where he played bass synth, so he offered to loan me his whole setup. it's a korg minitaur, some other korg synth, a keyboard and a bunch of pedals like a hyperfuzz and a really good digital delay. and a noise box, hah.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 24, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Thanks to the thread for helping me fix my buffer issue with ASIO. Got super low latency when recording now :hfive:.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
A fun drum machine would be a Cirklon and a some old Akai rack units.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Here's a fun thing to play with, a free modular synth program:
https://vcvrack.com/

Note that it's standalone and not a VST or anything.

edit: before you spend ages looking for a mult module like I did, ctrl+click creates a stackable.

Extortionist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 24, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Anyone got any more information on the Behringer D release date? Everywhere I see it's still listed as Q4 2017, but their facebook appears to be keeping quiet. Anyone know anything different?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

Anyone got any more information on the Behringer D release date? Everywhere I see it's still listed as Q4 2017, but their facebook appears to be keeping quiet. Anyone know anything different?

IDK but we should definitely organize a Twitter campaign based on #LetMeHaveTheD or #ShowMeTheD or something.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Digitakts were 15% off for black friday so I bought one. Ive played around with it for a few hours and i have no idea what im doing, but i can tell its really versatile and it feels really great!

I think i need a keyboard though.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 24, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I picked up one of these ground-loop things today and holy poo poo has it fixed up my one complaint with the OP-1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IETQQQK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whenever I had the audio out and USB in at the same time I'd get ground loop noise which drove me mad. If you unplugged the USB, it would be fine, but you couldn't have the two in without issue. There are loads of posts on the OP-1 forums about this and one recommended the noise reducer. And goddamn if it doesn't work perfectly. I was shocked that it just completely removed the noise without any impact on sound. For like 7 quid it was a fantastic purchase for my OP-1, so for anyone else suffering this same issue, give a ground loop isolator a try.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I need a USB hub to connect a 12 channel mixer/interface, a couple of boutiques, a Push 2, a keyboard, and a Minilogue to my computer- should I go with an Overhub or am I ok with a normal, well-rated desktop USB 3 hub from Amazon that costs 30-50% less?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I just picked up a powered usb 3 hub today and it's going my rig a treat. Powered is important, so don't skimp on that.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Well I bought TAL Sampler. One of my near-future goals is to go back through my jam recordings and look for good stuff to sample, so this will be fun to have to work on them with.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What are some decent sustain pedals? Is the M-Audio stuff good? No Guitar or Bass, just for keyboard/controller.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a gold standard for value tier 88 key controllers? I have a jdxi that I want to extend the range of, and I'm using Sonar as my DAW. I'm a huge noob!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What are some decent sustain pedals? Is the M-Audio stuff good? No Guitar or Bass, just for keyboard/controller.

my boss fs-5u usually works pretty well, but its not made exactly like a piano pedal so it might not be what youre looking for :shrug:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
holy poo poo, the digitakt is awesome.

so my current setup is:

digitakt
moog minitaur
keyboard for the minitaur
a noise box pedal
iRig 2
iphone

there's an app coming that lets you upload samples from an iphone to the digitakt really easily. so what i can do is make a beat with the digitakt, play a bassline to it with my bass straight to my iphone via the iRig, choose an amp and effects for it on the iRig and then upload it to the digitakt. now i have a bassline and a beat and i can concentrate on playing my synth & noise box through my bass rig.

this is seriously awesome, super easy to jump straight into making music without the need for a computer. i'll maybe buy a zoom or a similar 4-track recording device soon so i can record everything as i'm playing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Is there a gold standard for value tier 88 key controllers? I have a jdxi that I want to extend the range of, and I'm using Sonar as my DAW. I'm a huge noob!

Casio Privia PX5. Digital pianos are usually always better in this kind of thing than soundless controllers except for perhaps a Kawai VPC.

However, 88 key feel heavily depends on manufacturer. Some are lighter, some heavier, all a matter of taste.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the best keyboards are from the 80s imo

got an old bandmate a heavy rear end 76 key korg stage grand, that thing still played beautifully :allears:

i'd say look on craigslist for a good keyboard; unless youre in the middle of nowhere you shd be able to find a good one for cheapish enough :thumbsup:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
some guy was selling a Kurzweil Midiboard on Houston craigslist years ago for like $100, I wonder if anybody ever bought it

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
re: sampler and general Ensoniq chat-

I have a Mirage that suddenly stopped turning on one day. No error message or anything, just dead. I tried replacing the fuse but never got further than that. I always thought the disk drive would be what killed it and thought about putting an SD card mod in, but never got that far before it died.

I also have an ESQ-1 that slowly died on me- started throwing garbled messages on the screen occasionally and progressed to showing a quick green flash on the VFD when you turn it on and nothing else, no sound.

Any ideas on either of these? The build quality of old Ensoniq gear was clearly not excellent but both of them sounded beautiful in their own way and the ESQ-1 is actually very easy to program (as is the Mirage... after months of using it every day and making a hex code cheat sheet).

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Possibly the power supply sections took a dump, the VFD isnt the longest lasting thing but should affect the sound

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Ortazel posted:

re: sampler and general Ensoniq chat-

I have a Mirage that suddenly stopped turning on one day. No error message or anything, just dead. I tried replacing the fuse but never got further than that. I always thought the disk drive would be what killed it and thought about putting an SD card mod in, but never got that far before it died.

I also have an ESQ-1 that slowly died on me- started throwing garbled messages on the screen occasionally and progressed to showing a quick green flash on the VFD when you turn it on and nothing else, no sound.

Any ideas on either of these? The build quality of old Ensoniq gear was clearly not excellent but both of them sounded beautiful in their own way and the ESQ-1 is actually very easy to program (as is the Mirage... after months of using it every day and making a hex code cheat sheet).

Ensoniq stuff tends to suffer from cracked solder joints. Even high humidity can make them act crazy. Also if the display/button input board goes bad it will open appear to be a dead machine, but wouldn’t be the case with the mirage. If you have a multimeter the power supply test points are mentioned in the service manual. First measure with the floppy drive plugged in. Unplug the floppy drive and do the tests again. If you don’t see a difference the floppy is probably okay or mechanically failing. The service manual also has a flowchart of what to try if the screen isn’t coming on. I would wager some sort of power supply issue or cracked joint,

About the esq1 - check battery voltage. Put it in test mode and see if you can get anything on the display. If the battery is very low replace it, do a hard reset, see if it comes alive. If not same thing with the service manual and checking test points for voltage. Some other esq1 specific things: make sure all Socketed ICs are seated really tight, is your esq a metal case or plastic case? Not all esq1 have socketed ICs. We should find out if some other problem in it is blowing a part out before you try replacing the display board. With the design of it the unfortunate part is a failed IC could potentially mean another component that wants 5v gets hit with like 50. Any burnt fuses on your esq? By the way I have repaired a seemingly dead EPS 16 just by replacing fuses.

Any chance you don’t use a power conditioner? They are a worthy investment for owners of older synths. I didn’t know for a long time my apartment pushed almost 135v over mains which is just crazy. I noticed a lot of my older gear runs less hot now.

Thank you to the dev of the Awful iOS app for saving the post as you write it, I was at 5% when I was about to hit post and it went dark :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Laserjet 4P posted:

Casio Privia PX5. Digital pianos are usually always better in this kind of thing than soundless controllers except for perhaps a Kawai VPC.

However, 88 key feel heavily depends on manufacturer. Some are lighter, some heavier, all a matter of taste.

Thanks for the reply. I'm combing my local craigslist to see what I can turn up.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/d/yamahakey-keyboard-midi-and/6398905352.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/d/casio-privia-px-3-digital/6401655756.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/d/korg-trkey-keyboard/6393709583.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/d/kurzweil-professional-digital/6392875359.html

A lot of these prices seem really inflated to me, but I think I'm on the right track now.