Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Same, but I'm getting kind of tired of Holg at this point and wouldn't mind his departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Single most talent-rich state in the country and the backing of the SEC, you will forever be fine unless half the state succumbs to flooding from global warming and/or the SEC implodes. It's dumb to think otherwise.

Counterpoint: While not awful, UF was uniformly mediocre for 90% of its history before 1984 or so. And most of that 80s success was wiped out by cheating.

While there are many built-in advantages, success is certainly not guaranteed in Gainesville.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

hifi posted:

I think regardless of the bowl game todd graham is safe.

Maybe, but this is a weird time to do "no comment" after a big win over your rival

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/934587927597740032

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Benne posted:

Maybe, but this is a weird time to do "no comment" after a big win over your rival

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/934587927597740032

even if we got absolutely pantsed that was always going to be his answer though

edit: he's got 3 years left on his deal now

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zerilan posted:

Same, but I'm getting kind of tired of Holg at this point and wouldn't mind his departure.

We should be pretty loving good next year. Basically all the starters on both sides are back. If we're 7-5/6-6 then sure.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Counterpoint: While not awful, UF was uniformly mediocre for 90% of its history before 1984 or so. And most of that 80s success was wiped out by cheating.

While there are many built-in advantages, success is certainly not guaranteed in Gainesville.

You can't remove foundations once they're built. Even VT is unfuckable to a certain, different extent. FSU, Miami, Texas, UF, OSU, Michigan, USC, UGA, Bama, etc. can all lose 10 games a year for 20 straight years and if they hire a competent coach in year 21 they could be back in the title game by year 22-23.

Pre-SOS UF has almost nothing in common with current UF and their bottom was far lower than it is now. The draw of the SEC was nothing like it is today and whatever the gently caress happened in HS football down there to make it explode was also nothing like it was pre-SOS.

Once the foundation is established returning to glory days is a question of when not if.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crotch Bat posted:

You can't remove foundations once they're built. Even VT is unfuckable to a certain, different extent. FSU, Miami, Texas, UF, OSU, Michigan, USC, UGA, Bama, etc. can all lose 10 games a year for 20 straight years and if they hire a competent coach in year 21 they could be back in the title game by year 22-23.

Pre-SOS UF has almost nothing in common with current UF and their bottom was far lower than it is now. The draw of the SEC was nothing like it is today and whatever the gently caress happened in HS football down there to make it explode was also nothing like it was pre-SOS.

Once the foundation is established returning to glory days is a question of when not if.

Eh, I don't know about that. Recruiting bases change, facilities need to be kept up with.

Like look at Pitt. Pitt was dominate for years, but the recruiting base starts changing, they don't make good investments in their infrastructure, have some incredibly bad hires and weeeelp.

Or Colorado -- yikes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Obviously I hope you're right in this, but I'm not sure there's anything empirical to say that UF is now perpetually one good coach away from dominance because Spurrier painted the stadium orange and won a title.

There are lots of once-proud programs that have been floundering for a long time.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

You can't remove foundations once they're built.

And by foundations you mean money. If the money got pulled out of one of these programs, or football in general, they'd absolutely fall apart.

Football is a bubble to a certain extent, and it may be a too big fail one at that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crotch Bat posted:

Tennessee: Hold my beer...

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If Tennessee hires Greg Schiano I will cease my Tennessee fandom immediately and jump to, uh, another orange team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NickRoweFillea posted:

If Tennessee hires Greg Schiano I will cease my Tennessee fandom immediately and jump to, uh, another orange team

Being a Syracuse fan seems pretty rough right now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Why would Leach go to tenessee? Thats a sidegrade

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

hifi posted:

even if we got absolutely pantsed that was always going to be his answer though

edit: he's got 3 years left on his deal now

Arizona St's AD holds a presser to announce Todd Graham will be back next year, only for Graham to tap him on the shoulder immediately to say he's taking the Arkansas job.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Florida can certainly be fixed but I think the program needs to hit the reset button and fully commit to football again instead of trying to become Stanford east.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

on what fuckign planet

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

got any sevens posted:

Better facilities, more money, bigger fanbase, more prestige, more... ah gently caress it we suck right now. No way around it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Better facilities, more money, bigger fanbase, more prestige, more... ah gently caress it we suck right now. No way around it.

lol

y'all are a completely broken fanbase

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

on what fuckign planet

Earth. He's like god in pullman, in tenny he'd be questioned asap and they'd expect ten wins a year

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

None of these are actually true, duder.

Tennessee is indeed in a bad way, but money, facilities and prestige are all there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

on what fuckign planet

Sevens is a Wazzu fan and probably doesn't honestly believe that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Earth. He's like god in pullman, in tenny he'd be questioned asap and they'd expect ten wins a year

oh you poor summer childe

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grittybeard posted:

Sevens is a Wazzu fan and probably doesn't honestly believe that.

Husky fan actually, but i bear the cougs no ill will
Leach just isnt a good fit for tenny

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LeeMajors posted:

None of these are actually true, duder.

Tennessee is indeed in a bad way, but money, facilities and prestige are all there.

I know. Let me wallow in my misery. I’m trying to avoid hope, because lately it leads to disappointment.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Leach just isnt a good fit for tenny

so both of your responses are wickedly different from your original statement of "it'd be a sidestep"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

so both of your responses are wickedly different from your original statement of "it'd be a sidestep"

Well i'm a west coaster, but i've never heard anyone ever care about tenny one way or the other, so honestly it's a downgrade, considering the higher expectations those people have.

Isnt Leach already 60+? And he's got the cougs in the top 25 all year, why start from scratch with tenny? They might barely have a higher ceiling, but it'd take 4+ years to get there

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 26, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Well i'm a west coaster, but i've never heard anyone ever care about tenny one way or the other, so honestly it's a downgrade, considering the higher expectations those people have.

lord have mercy

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

Ah, I apparently had you mixed up with another Seahawks Av guy (that or you've been cheering on the Cougs a bunch this year). My mistake.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

but i've never heard anyone ever care about tenny one way or the other,

Watch this immediately. Your life will be improved.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Recruiting bases change, facilities need to be kept up with.

Like look at Pitt. Pitt was dominate for years, but the recruiting base starts changing, they don't make good investments in their infrastructure, have some incredibly bad hires and weeeelp.

Or Colorado -- yikes.

Like you need to make a concerted effort to tank a program to erode a foundation. VT was an independent that conferences scheduled for an OOC cupcake and they made like 3 bowl games before Beamer arrived. It will be super duper hard to go back to pre-Beamer levels of play.

Colorado is a bit misleading. Their little run was not at all indicative of a true change as a program, it ended up as more of a blip on the radar. You could maybe say they didn't seize enough on the success to push them forward but it wasn't even a decade and they were right back down to mediocrity where they sprang from anyway.

Pitt is debateable but a lot of what Pitt was pre-dates the modern era which has demonstrably changed the game. I also think they're one of the only places where a recruiting base like that could die due to how jobs dried up and people moved elsewhere. Most of the schools we're talking about have evergreen recruiting grounds or national pull due to decades upon decades of tradition carrying their name even if their team isn't at the moment.

I guess it's not impossible to erode a foundation but it is intensely difficult and requires almost deliberate effort to do so and that's for a lesser program like VT or something. Trying to turn UF back into pre-SOS UF is virtually impossible short of defunding the entire thing.

C. Everett Koop posted:

And by foundations you mean money. If the money got pulled out of one of these programs, or football in general, they'd absolutely fall apart.

Football is a bubble to a certain extent, and it may be a too big fail one at that.

Obviously but like I said, the second they luck into a decent coach all of that floods back anyway. Blueblood programs can suffer historic droughts and usually respond by breaking donation and attendance records the second things look better.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 26, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chump Farts posted:

the lane train is 9-3, so who wants him?

Hell, let's give it a whirl Ags

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

I know. Let me wallow in my misery. I’m trying to avoid hope, because lately it leads to disappointment.

Your drought has been longer and worse than mine, but I can empathize. I miss UT-UF rivalry meaning something. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Your drought has been longer and worse than mine, but I can empathize. I miss UT-UF rivalry meaning something. :smith:

Same, but FSU-UF.

It's like UF doesn't even try to win anymore. :negative:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

Same, but FSU-UF.

It's like UF doesn't even try to win anymore. :negative:

I felt the same when urban was beating the brakes off you fools.

I miss the 90s.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

NickRoweFillea posted:

Go Gata!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I felt the same when urban was beating the brakes off you fools.

I miss the 90s.

I don't know what you're talking about.

(:smithicide:)

The 90s owned. Nothing like having both teams being in the top 10 when they played every year.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Crotch Bat posted:

Like you need to make a concerted effort to tank a program to erode a foundation.

Imagine this in a bubble over my head

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Real Name Grover posted:

Imagine this in a bubble over my head

I'd cast Ken Marino to play Callahan in the Nebraska Netflix series.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Not if Beau Bridges takes the job first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
quarterbacks averaging 500 yards passing per game intrigues me on a primal level so i hope the next razorbacks coach does that

• Locked thread