Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

with no oversight and selecting for the lowest priced, most desperate people you're just asking to have them keep it and try to sell it

at least if it was done by proper employees you'd have paper trails and a recourse if they leaked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMaster posted:

with no oversight and selecting for the lowest priced, most desperate people you're just asking to have them keep it and try to sell it

at least if it was done by proper employees you'd have paper trails and a recourse if they leaked it

i don't think there's much in the way of proper paper trails at office somewhere in asia #49595 or call center in rusting suburbia #9685. you know, the places that would be used instead of/in addition to mturk

like it's an app that's "take pictures of any random receipt you have with your generic consumer cell phone plus send us your credit card info, we'll figure out what your expense report should be". you're guaranteed to have a shitload of low quality barely legible shots and you'd need magical OCR tech that doesn't exist to do it, but they obviously want the cheapest costs for having it read. you're going to have massive amounts of personal info exposed to random underpaid people with very little control on who sees it no matter what.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

i don't think

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sorry you're mad about the fact that a company which says "hey send us all your personal info with an app and we'll have people look at it" well, gets all your personal info and has people look at it?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fishmech posted:

i don't think

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

i don't think there's much in the way of proper paper trails at office somewhere in asia #49595 or call center in rusting suburbia #9685. you know, the places that would be used instead of/in addition to mturk

like it's an app that's "take pictures of any random receipt you have with your generic consumer cell phone plus send us your credit card info, we'll figure out what your expense report should be". you're guaranteed to have a shitload of low quality barely legible shots and you'd need magical OCR tech that doesn't exist to do it, but they obviously want the cheapest costs for having it read. you're going to have massive amounts of personal info exposed to random underpaid people with very little control on who sees it no matter what.

it never worked that well for me by ocr standards so I’m a little surprised they were always using people.

and yes I have to use it because that’s what my company uses. if there’s another system allowed I probably wouldn’t get reimbursed within 72 hours

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
doesn't read either because the secfuck is clearly this issue https://twitter.com/Rochelle/status/933515448741535744 and not some imagined grievance against ocr

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

doesn't read either because the secfuck is clearly this issue https://twitter.com/Rochelle/status/933515448741535744 and not some imagined grievance against ocr

uh, lol you're the one who can't read here dude.

how the gently caress did you think all of this random data from receipts was going to be entered into their systems, in a way that's least prone to errors. it's by people reading the things and entering them into computers, and also people verifying things already entered digitally eg when pulling directly from emailed receipts, to ensure proper billing is done.

but i'll ask you too, why do you think mturk workers are less trustworthy than the barely minimum wage in-country call center type employees or the overseas sweatshop workers who'll go right on to pulling tech support scripts the next day?

hobbesmaster posted:

it never worked that well for me by ocr standards so I’m a little surprised they were always using people.

and yes I have to use it because that’s what my company uses. if there’s another system allowed I probably wouldn’t get reimbursed within 72 hours

the way these things go is things are run through ocr first and then also shown to a human because especially the user-photographed receipts are likely to be curled or blurry or whatever and its hard for a computer to do that cheaply and quickly. then you also get some human cross-checking on things that are fed into the apps direct from email or whatever, as you never know when an emailed receipt thing might be using a weird format.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fishmech posted:

The secfuck has nothing to do with OCR. The secfuck is they're crowdsourcing handling of customer PII to literally random people.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

how the gently caress did you think all of this random data from receipts was going to be entered into their systems, in a way that's least prone to errors. it's by people reading the things and entering them into computers, and also people verifying things already entered digitally eg when pulling directly from emailed receipts, to ensure proper billing is done.

but i'll ask you too, why do you think mturk workers are less trustworthy than the barely minimum wage in-country call center type employees or the overseas sweatshop workers who'll go right on to pulling tech support scripts the next day?

the way these things go is things are run through ocr first and then also shown to a human because especially the user-photographed receipts are likely to be curled or blurry or whatever and its hard for a computer to do that cheaply and quickly. then you also get some human cross-checking on things that are fed into the apps direct from email or whatever, as you never know when an emailed receipt thing might be using a weird format.
the first sentence in this tweet is "I wonder if Expensify SmartScan users know MTurk workers enter their receipts." it is a question directed at expensify's users, and not the infosec industry or at computer touchers you dense child.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

you dense child.

don't give them the benefit of a reply

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

the first sentence in this tweet is "I wonder if Expensify SmartScan users know MTurk workers enter their receipts." it is a question directed at expensify's users, and not the infosec industry or at computer touchers you dense child.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

The secfuck has nothing to do with OCR. The secfuck is they're crowdsourcing handling of customer PII to literally random people.

and thats not a secfuck

thats literally the only way doing this company could work. why are you people so stuipid that you think i'm talking about ocr when i explicitly say why they can't rely on ocr, and need people?

anthonypants posted:

and your point is?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

and thats not a secfuck

thats literally the only way doing this company could work. why are you people so stuipid that you think i'm talking about ocr when i explicitly say why they can't rely on ocr, and need people?

and your point is?

what product are you referring to? the one I use with Expensify requires a photo of the receipt and details of the expense. there is no requirement that expensify validate that the receipt matches the expense. at the end of a trip if I’ve compiled everything correctly I’ll just select all outstanding receipts, possibly enter some text about it for my supervisor (ie “yes the conference hotel was $500 a night I hate Silicon Valley“) and it’s off to be approved by boss and accounting.

at no step in this process is it required for anyone employed or contracted by expensify to actually look at my receipts unless I or my company explicitly asks for it by pushing that smart scan button. I now know to never push that thing

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm the requirement that now consumers are required to implicitly understand how their data is used by every company, no matter the level of their technical knowledge.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

and thats not a secfuck

and your point is?

showing your receipts to randos on Mechanical Turk is not the only way this company could work

the company could show your receipts to their vetted trusted employees, or as they lie in their FAQ, "secure technicians"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in general yes, i'd assume that someone who has an actual employment relationship with a business that digitizes receipts is at least very slightly more trustworthy than an anonymous person visiting the mechanical turk website.

like, you can accept these tasks and look at people's receipts and stuff without even logging in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

what product are you referring to? the one I use with Expensify requires a photo of the receipt and details of the expense. there is no requirement that expensify validate that the receipt matches the expense. at the end of a trip if I’ve compiled everything correctly I’ll just select all outstanding receipts, possibly enter some text about it for my supervisor (ie “yes the conference hotel was $500 a night I hate Silicon Valley“) and it’s off to be approved by boss and accounting.

at no step in this process is it required for anyone employed or contracted by expensify to actually look at my receipts unless I or my company explicitly asks for it by pushing that smart scan button. I now know to never push that thing

do you not see why a company claiming to simplify expense reports would want to check whether the receipt proof matches to what was entered? that seems bizarre.

pseudorandom name posted:

showing your receipts to randos on Mechanical Turk is not the only way this company could work

the company could show your receipts to their vetted trusted employees, or as they lie in their FAQ, "secure technicians"

again, the onshore temps or offshore employees they'd be hiring instead present exactly as much of a "security risk" as the mturk workers do. in fact, they're often going to be the very same people

Jabor posted:

in general yes, i'd assume that someone who has an actual employment relationship with a business that digitizes receipts is at least very slightly more trustworthy than an anonymous person visiting the mechanical turk website.

then you are a fool.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Auditable procedures for how to have employees in centers handling PII exist, while you can't even have that as a possibility for some random on MTurk

Come on Fishmech, do you honestly think banks that outsource to the Philippines would just use MTurk too if only they knew it existed?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"and what's the big deal with all these companies leaving user data in publicly-accessible s3 buckets? it's not any worse than if the data was only accessible to the outsourcing agency hired to process that data" - fishmech

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

do you not see why a company claiming to simplify expense reports would want to check whether the receipt proof matches to what was entered? that seems bizarre.

that’s not a feature my company uses if it is even offered. what’s a valid expense report is up to my company

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

doesn't read either because the secfuck is clearly this issu and not some imagined grievance against ocr

gently caress ocr and the harse it rodø in om

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s not a feature my company uses if it is even offered. what’s a valid expense report is up to my company

Then why are they making use of this app for none of the unique features?

Volmarias posted:

Auditable procedures for how to have employees in centers handling PII exist, while you can't even have that as a possibility for some random on MTurk

Come on Fishmech, do you honestly think banks that outsource to the Philippines would just use MTurk too if only they knew it existed?

You can have them on mturk, many only let you work for real after passing various tests and proving identity and stuff. It's only going to be as good as hiring random people off the street as they do though

Are you suggesting they don't?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fishmech posted:

Then why are they making use of this app for none of the unique features?

You can have them on mturk, many only let you work for real after passing various tests and proving identity and stuff. It's only going to be as good as hiring random people off the street as they do though

Are you suggesting they don't?

You can't prove that someone didn't write down your credit card number while they work in their bedroom, while you can in a call center.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

You can't prove that someone didn't write down your credit card number while they work in their bedroom, while you can in a call center.

Actually in your average call center you can't prove that either.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

smartest child in america is an expert on call center management practices color me shocked

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
imagine thanksgiving dinner with the fishmech family lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bicycle posted:

An endless cacophony of "Well, actually..." like some insidious feed back loop.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bicycle posted:

edit wars over how to cook the turkey

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
minor secfuck: in order to use any of google's own data migration tools* you have to turn off 2fa and enable "less secure apps" on all accounts involved. evidently their own internal tools don't work with oath2 or 2fa

their migration tool in g suite supports oauth2, except not, because it doesn't work and the official guidance from support is to enable less secure apps

*e.g. moving data between gmail and g suite or between g suite accounts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stop engaging fishmech.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

clicked back after the last time i read this thread hoping for more dickrobots, got a savage fishmeching instead

not too happy tbh

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/adamcaudill/status/934592341624713216

surprisingly uses https to leak all your data though

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

clicked back after the last time i read this thread hoping for more dickrobots, got a savage fishmeching instead

not too happy tbh

:same: my scroll-whell is cooked

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
lmao

yall getting fishmeched over something he clearly has no idea about

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 26, 2017

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
seems to be broken with https, here's an imgur

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Malcolm XML posted:

lmao

yall getting fishmeched over something he clearly has no idea about

you're not supposed to use a word in its own definition hth

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I too am okay with pii not being treated like pii

Hey, i need to run a hospital, but the only way I can make it work is to not hire medical professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the firmware of apple's secure enclave processor has been decrypted

https://hackaday.com/2017/08/18/apples-secure-enclave-processor-sep-firmware-decyrpted/

does this mean people will be able to pull out stored credentials?

• Locked thread