Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
it's obvious there's about 4 or 5 thousand people continually dropping thousands and thousands per month on this game

its the only way CIG is staying afloat at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
1000 posts what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Also, this thread is generating more content than Star Citizrn will ever aspire. Truly a great ARPG.

Carry on.

What's the current number on the anniversary sales? I'm out here sipping a margarita while being a content locust. It's a great time to be a star citizen.

Buy a hammerhead!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
"Waaahlord"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Winter Stormer posted:

or will doors be Star Citizen's charming little quirk, like Skyrim's corpses that occasionally spin wildly and fling themselves 50 feet into the air?

One of these brings comedy to a mostly working game.

The other brings continued disappointment in an already mostly non functional game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mirificus posted:

"Waaahlord"

There we go, denouncing the people pointing out the critical flaws. That's more like the community I know and love.

(P.S. anyone who says this dogshit is running well on 8GB is either lying, running just the hangar module, or playing on an empty server)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
8 GB capped game with the Crytek Engine trying to be an MMO. Yeah okay buddy, you keep on fighting the good fight. All it takes is when you see the end result.

Y'know. Whenever that actually happens. There are early access projects who has disappointed with not even an iota of this bloated corpse's funding. I cannot believe that something like this hasn't been covered by major news groups as a cautionary tale.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Pantsbird posted:

Mentar: What kind of Construction language do you want to learn? Do you want to make a house, office tower, model town with train, or space station?

Chub: I don't know. I just heard that Construction was an Activity, leading to Job, and The quenching of the dread.

Mentar: Duck your head as the 1 SCU crate closes over you. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Chub: My course of action is so clear now that I can't move.

Personally I am a huge fan of Pantsbird's very weird and upsetting Stimpire fanfic.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

gently caress me these are creepy. Tell me this poo poo gets deleted by the mods

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Solarin posted:

gently caress me these are creepy. Tell me this poo poo gets deleted by the mods

I'm guessing no. Many subreddits are headed by the most fanatical members of whatever community it's dedicated to. Add in some power tripping, and you often end up with mods (and their alts) being the most toxic members of any given subreddit. Not always mind you, but often.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Titanic posted:

You monster!

You're supposed to say in a Natalie Portman voice temporarily imitating Eva Braun: "To err is to be human..."

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why is Python a "bad" choice?

It's a great language for someone who wants to get something done right now (and might be a good choice in specific situations). It's not a good language for learning programming as the syntax is off compared (transitioning between C#. Java, C++, JavaScript, etc. is much easier), it trades quick results for expressive power, and it has a tendency to push a magpie mentality (although not as badly as JavaScript). Also I am a language snob who thinks "real" programmers should start with "real" languages, and not training wheels.

Edit: I'll just be an even bigger snob and state my point more directly: It's a good language for stupid people trying to learn programming. If you are not stupid, C++ is a much better choice. C#, Rust, Java and even JavaScript also have merits as entry-level langugages. But the ecosystem surrounding JavaScript will infect all but the most iron-willed of novices with terrible habits and/or insanity.

PederP fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 26, 2017

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'll try to work on one once I have some time on my hands.

Also I have no gang tag? I got ripped off!

Lol Blocked Buddies. Someone design something plz

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

PederP posted:

I'll just be an even bigger snob and state my point more directly: It's a good language for stupid people trying to learn programming. If you are not stupid, C++ is a much better choice. C#, Rust, Java and even JavaScript also have merits as entry-level langugages. But the ecosystem surrounding JavaScript will infect all but the most iron-willed of novices with terrible habits and/or insanity.

I feel Java and C# hit all the right points for a first language. C++ right off the bat as a novice is likely to end with you fighting the compiler so much you just throw in the towel.

Meanwhile my feelings on JavaScript can be summed up like this even though it's one of the languages I use a third of the time.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

This is why I can't handle Star Citizen's backers anymore. There are way way waaaaaaay too many of them that are like this.

If you don't agree with the Company, the Game Direction, the Game's Mechanics/Scope/etc.........you're mentally unstable and going to shoot up a theater. Yep....that's the level of insane you are for not blindly praising the shell of a video game years in the making with years to go.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its been so long since a good warlord ragedump. thread lives again and we owe it all to 3.0

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

All hail 3.0, the savior of pc gaming and the savior of this thread.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PederP posted:

Edit: I'll just be an even bigger snob and state my point more directly: It's a good language for stupid people trying to learn programming. If you are not stupid, C++ is a much better choice. C#, Rust, Java and even JavaScript also have merits as entry-level langugages. But the ecosystem surrounding JavaScript will infect all but the most iron-willed of novices with terrible habits and/or insanity.

Yeah, you're an idiot. Don't ever teach anyone programming, ok? Do humanity that one favour.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Learning C++ in high school was a miserable experience. C# and Java in tertiary was much nicer. Learning Python on my own initiative in the workplace and getting my job done a lot faster was even better.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I love C++. I think every programmer should learn C++. I would never let anybody learn C++ as their first language. If you mess with C++, you have to understand basic C stuff, and now you are dealing with a lower level than many are first equipped to deal with. Beginners have enough on their minds so let's not try to throw pointers, arrays, C style strings, and how they are all interrelated, and more, at them. They will just get hopelessly confused.

In my opinion, I think C# is a perfect first language. If you use my earlier suggestion of starting with something simple like GameMaker, you can jump to Unity for something a little more complex (Unity uses C#). You can make some WinForms apps, which lets you bind basically code snippets to events like a button click. You can use ASP.NET MVC and Razor to get into enterprise style web-based apps. There are a lot of choices with the language for taking your next steps.

EDIT: And becoming familiar with C# syntax means you are halfway there for everything that is similar to C. There are a lot of languages that use a C-similar syntax.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 26, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Go gently caress yourself. You and your ilk ARE the reason this project ended up like this, and is an utter failure on the verge of collapse. And like you did before when you ran off to the now defunct /r/ds poo poo hole for anti-social poo poo heels and pedos, you're here now. GTFO.

My only hope is that the remaining whales keep throwing money into this, right to the revelation of what is currently playing out behind the scenes, because the end will be so much more hilarious.

The "Derek Smart was right" pill has now become a suppository that you all are going to be stuck with for all eternity because as gamers, we hold onto poo poo forever - and a day.

ps. loving coward, I see you still have me on mod block in your lovely channel.

"Show less"

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Anticheese posted:

Learning C++ in high school was a miserable experience. C# and Java in tertiary was much nicer. Learning Python on my own initiative in the workplace and getting my job done a lot faster was even better.

All you language snobs....go away or I shall replace you with a small perl script...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

G0RF posted:

Imagine spending those sums for a game claiming it will have FPS combat “more lethal” than Call of Duty and with procedural environmental desctruction that makes DICE engineers grab their crotches and moan, “Oh my balls!”

G0RF, I want you to know I love this mental image and it made my day measurably better and happier.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

And now, FTR is a goon, the crazy hallucination that started with PTU's release continues :psyduck:. I'm still not sure I'm not imagining all this while lying in a coma somewhere...

Anyway, hi FTR! :wave:

That last video is just perfect, it's the shills in a nutshell, you can see him trying to reconcile what he said in video #3 with Chris' quote in video #4.

That is so sweet. You can actually feel his public humiliation on the topic.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Yeah, C++ is not a good choice for high school level courses. And Python as a productivity tool when you already know what you're doing is perfectly fine. But at university-level or some self-teaching who wants to be a good programmer, I don't think there is any escaping C++. Not that there is any reason to avoid it - it's a perfectly good language to work with, even if it is not the best choice for all tasks.

I am surprised at all the negative experiences so many of you had with it, I had a jolly good time learning it (mostly on my own) back in the day, and so did the people around me. Perhaps it's easier for a bad teacher to make a mess of the course with C++ than with many other languages.

Edit: Nalin speaks wisdom.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

After watching all the videos and snippets presented in this thread, i must confess to feel owned.

CR really showed the industry how to manage projects.

I am just not worthy to spend money on this ...., aeh great SC game

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

PederP posted:

Yeah, C++ is not a good choice for high school level courses. And Python as a productivity tool when you already know what you're doing is perfectly fine. But at university-level or some self-teaching who wants to be a good programmer, I don't think there is any escaping C++. Not that there is any reason to avoid it - it's a perfectly good language to work with, even if it is not the best choice for all tasks.

I am surprised at all the negative experiences so many of you had with it, I had a jolly good time learning it (mostly on my own) back in the day, and so did the people around me. Perhaps it's easier for a bad teacher to make a mess of the course with C++ than with many other languages.
+1

I did Basic --> C --> C++ --> Java --> Matlab.
When you know most basic concepts, C++ is a must learn

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PederP posted:

Edit: Nalin speaks wisdom.

Yeah, a bad teacher makes it a lot harder to learn, especially if they don't have any real understanding of programming themselves and are just running off coursework without being able to offer much help. Learning C# has helped me going back into C++, and I quite agree with what Nalin has to say. I've made a few things in GameMaker, and by the time you're aware of the scripting-related weirdness in the engine, you've probably got a good enough idea of what you want to do in Unity.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thank you sir

Wondering if 9 trillion km is something that not even a 64b system can handle or if it is really loving up

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 26, 2017

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Ohtsam posted:

I feel Java and C# hit all the right points for a first language. C++ right off the bat as a novice is likely to end with you fighting the compiler so much you just throw in the towel.

Meanwhile my feelings on JavaScript can be summed up like this even though it's one of the languages I use a third of the time.

Yo, recently I wrote a simple backend for nodejs. The amount of stupid bugs and poo poo I needed to debug, because somebody thought that using a dynamic, weakly typed language on the server was a good idea, was astounding. Rewriting everything in TypeScript was a breeze. The fact that Google embraced something from Microsoft is not a coincidence.

In my opinion everybody who programs needs to know what a pointer is, because despite that many languages try to hide them from them, the pointers are usually pretty close to the surface and it is good to know how things work under the hood. So, yeah, dipping in C/C++ is always a good idea.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Sarsapariller posted:

The two camps don't really... seem to interact with each other at all. I imagine that if the complaining about the actual state of the game goes on for more than a few days, it will start getting shouted down, but for now the dreams and the crushing reality are side by side but unmixed. It's really weird.

Whenever the SC community is confronted with painful reality, there's always a golden period of a few days before the narrative reforms where the Citizenry have to deal with the simple day-to-day reality of what they've sunk their money into. poo poo don't work. You can tell yourself it's the best drat space sim ever as you sit on a black screen for 15+ minutes and then clip through the floor again, but it starts to sound hollow and that opens up a huge dark yawning pit in even the most cultish citizen's soul. So the community goes oddly quiet. The usual suspects actually shut up (right now they're switching between awe at the streamer vids and stewing with rage over still not being sufficiently devout to be blessed by the Crobbler with alpha access).

We're in that period right now. Like a churned-up seabed after a dredger passes, the morass of dust and silt and debris often throws up strange new Citizens who've never quite dared to speak out.
They've always been shouted down or too nervous. Now they can speak, and often they speak of being disappointed and frustrated. A few of them will refund.

The groupthink will reform as soon as a narrative kernel emerges - we're already seeing "this is a test of an alpha" being used as a kind of mantra. Something in the sale, a new video, something for the cultists to wrap their brains around to reassure themselves Star Citizen is good really. Then the cult behaviour snaps back online and any of the nervous commentators who can't get out of the way in time will be torn apart by the returning wolves.

CIG themselves have worked this out. The edited version of a presentation video usually serves this role. Even the Gamescon ramp disaster was followed up a few days later by a sanitised video so the cultists could tell themselves "that's what I really saw, not what those filthy refunders said I saw". Then they can pledge more and Buy More Ships secure in the knowledge that the painful world they glimpsed momentarily was a lie that has been washed away.

What will ultimately kill Star Citizen and turn the mob on CIG (assuming the money doesn't run out) is when the reality of the game is so bad that there aren't any kernels left to reform around. That might well be because CIG have shat out an MVP and don't bother followups, or it might be because of some kind of slip-up or misjudgment.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dreams, much like many mental illnesses, are forever

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

Hello FTR remember to check out the other sights something awful has to offer, like this extremely good thread about pictures of famous sex perverts.

can confirm

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

dreams, much like many mental illnesses, are forever

You mean that Dr. Smart is stuck with his autism to the end ?

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010
Wow, so many strong opinions about PL. Here, have some fun:

In professional use I went C++/DirectX7 -> C# -> F# -> Haskell and I regret nothing - all of them gave me something useful. If programming will be interesting for him - he will find "his" languages and tools.

Kromgart fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 26, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Whenever the SC community is confronted with painful reality, there's always a golden period of a few days before the narrative reforms where the Citizenry have to deal with the simple day-to-day reality of what they've sunk their money into. poo poo don't work. You can tell yourself it's the best drat space sim ever as you sit on a black screen for 15+ minutes and then clip through the floor again, but it starts to sound hollow and that opens up a huge dark yawning pit in even the most cultish citizen's soul. So the community goes oddly quiet. The usual suspects actually shut up (right now they're switching between awe at the streamer vids and stewing with rage over still not being sufficiently devout to be blessed by the Crobbler with alpha access).

We're in that period right now. Like a churned-up seabed after a dredger passes, the morass of dust and silt and debris often throws up strange new Citizens who've never quite dared to speak out.
They've always been shouted down or too nervous. Now they can speak, and often they speak of being disappointed and frustrated. A few of them will refund.

The groupthink will reform as soon as a narrative kernel emerges - we're already seeing "this is a test of an alpha" being used as a kind of mantra. Something in the sale, a new video, something for the cultists to wrap their brains around to reassure themselves Star Citizen is good really. Then the cult behaviour snaps back online and any of the nervous commentators who can't get out of the way in time will be torn apart by the returning wolves.

CIG themselves have worked this out. The edited version of a presentation video usually serves this role. Even the Gamescon ramp disaster was followed up a few days later by a sanitised video so the cultists could tell themselves "that's what I really saw, not what those filthy refunders said I saw". Then they can pledge more and Buy More Ships secure in the knowledge that the painful world they glimpsed momentarily was a lie that has been washed away.

What will ultimately kill Star Citizen and turn the mob on CIG (assuming the money doesn't run out) is when the reality of the game is so bad that there aren't any kernels left to reform around. That might well be because CIG have shat out an MVP and don't bother followups, or it might be because of some kind of slip-up or misjudgment.

A good post from a good poster.

Please :justpost: more :)

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are selling estate plots on tuesday.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's true. I was positive, things did not work out as I expected, and I started being the opposite of a fan.

The difference between you and others like you, is that you were a true fan & respectful believer - right to the end. Your well articulated posts about the project, are legendary and ring true even to this day. Anyone can go back and read them, to see the progression from where you were, right up to the point you became tagged as an ostracized non-believer because you just happened to tussle with the Queen Of Pipe Dreams herself.

Those anti-social misfits (see Shitizen) are a different breed altogether. That's why I have ZERO sympathy for guys like FailureToReport because, you don't suddenly get rehabilitated just because you finally saw the light, and got a refund, after years of abusing dissenters and skeptics.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

starting to think we might need an archive for all dereks crazy posts and tweets