Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

They're all yellow now because I researched a habitability tech. So wait a minute if I stacked habitability bonuses I could just colonize everywhere with no penalties and that ascension perk is more or less pointless?

In the same way that the mastery of nature perk is pointless because you could just research all the tile blocker tech instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gay Horney posted:

They're all yellow now because I researched a habitability tech. So wait a minute if I stacked habitability bonuses I could just colonize everywhere with no penalties and that ascension perk is more or less pointless?

Don't recall off hand what perk you're referring to so I can't help you there - but yes, the habitability techs (and the habitability traits and habitability bonus from cybernetics) all stack one after the other. The max is still 100% but by the end of most games every species can pretty much live anywhere even without terraforming or genemodding their preference.

Habitability still has an effect on pop growth rate even if you don't need to factor in happiness.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gay Horney posted:

The perk (World Shaper) is more about doubling the terraforming speed and reducing the cost, the tech is just included because there's a reasonable chance you won't have it when you get the perk.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I got this on steam sale a couple days ago; are there any good guides for building your military? I've died in (I guess) the relatively early game twice now because almost every other empire I encountered was Overwhelming and declares on me at their earliest convenience.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There's a few bits of advice spotted about the thread, but the main thing is to keep your fleet growing as the cap grows. Don't just sit on half a dozen corvettes for 30 years.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a few bits of advice spotted about the thread, but the main thing is to keep your fleet growing as the cap grows. Don't just sit on half a dozen corvettes for 30 years.

That's exactly what I was doing :saddowns: I think if anything I wasn't getting techs fast enough.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

That's exactly what I was doing :saddowns: I think if anything I wasn't getting techs fast enough.

The fleet cap is honestly just a suggestion - keep your fleet as big as your energy income allows

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So for the one planet strat, how do you actually afford a science nexus? I thought the idea was to do 1 planet until you have it, but I'm sitting at +60 minerals which will take an eternity to get to 20k+

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Why is the egalitarian symbol all blurry

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gowb posted:

:2bong:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So for the one planet strat, how do you actually afford a science nexus? I thought the idea was to do 1 planet until you have it, but I'm sitting at +60 minerals which will take an eternity to get to 20k+
Why are you only at +60? I'm at year 2260 or something and I'm sitting on 250/month off one planet, with none of that coming from the planet itself.

Run all the power plants you can on your one planet, then use that to afford every mineral you can put a station on. You should have access to Power Plant V, Energy Nexus and Galactic Stock Exchange before anyone else.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah my planet is mostly energy, built every mineral station and i'm at 121 now. Got kinda hemmed in by assimilating robots and most of the galaxy are xenophobes as usual so my territory isn't that big. I have all the recommended buildings, and am researching megastructures currently.

Might have to shamefully colonize a planet :(

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah, that's fair, I was able to expand a fair bit to get more minerals.

Your mineral count should go up pretty drastically once you hit repeatable techs, and don't forget you can always convert extra energy > minerals at a 2:1 rate at Xuracorp.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

gowb posted:

IIRC a mipmap issue when you're running on Low settings. Should be fixed in a patch or two.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Pretty sure 40% habitability is still the threshold for colonizing a planet - you can move whoever you want wherever you want once a colony is down but you still need to lead the way with a species that can survive there first or a Droid.

Isn't it 20% now?

Regardless, habitability also affects pop growth speed. I think it's a 1+(1-habitability) multiplier, but I'm not sure. So you should prioritize good habitability planets even as hive minds.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

LordMune posted:

IIRC a mipmap issue when you're running on Low settings. Should be fixed in a patch or two.

Is this the new Soon where it gets fixed in 3 to 5 years?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just picked this up on a steam sale, fun game so far, lots to figure out. I kept trying to play it like MOO but yeah, didn't go so well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We should probably post Game going hyperlane only somewhere obvious for the new players.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I finally got a War in Heaven in my current game. Channelling my inner Sheridan I told them both to screw off and became League President. Got about half the galaxy on-board the federation and started a war with the meaner of the two awakened empires.

It was...easy? I only had two ~50k fleets, along with a couple raider squadrons. I couldn't go toe to toe with the AE, but racked up warscore by invading his vassal's planets. Seems like he only ever operated one big fleet, so even when he was taking back systems, I could pick up two for every one I lost. Weired.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Is this the new Soon where it gets fixed in 3 to 5 years?

sure, why not

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

We should probably post Game going hyperlane only somewhere obvious for the new players.

Perhaps the thread title?

Stellaris: Bypasses now mandatory

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Platonicsolid posted:

I finally got a War in Heaven in my current game. Channelling my inner Sheridan I told them both to screw off and became League President. Got about half the galaxy on-board the federation and started a war with the meaner of the two awakened empires.

It was...easy? I only had two ~50k fleets, along with a couple raider squadrons. I couldn't go toe to toe with the AE, but racked up warscore by invading his vassal's planets. Seems like he only ever operated one big fleet, so even when he was taking back systems, I could pick up two for every one I lost. Weired.

That's pretty much the way to handle them unless your game went well enough that you have a super-economy when they start waking up.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

LordMune posted:

Cool! Thanks! It's been bothering me for a bit but just occurred to me to ask about it. Why that icon specifically?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Platonicsolid posted:

Yeah, more and more I'm finding the AI a bit predictable. Always doomstacks, huddling in one system with their allies when under threat, sending single transport ships to fortified planets and getting bodied over and over, sending single corvettes to attack battlefleets, etc.

The AI could definitely use some work I think. Unless this is the limit of normal difficulty and they get smarter on higher difficulties?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

gowb posted:

Cool! Thanks! It's been bothering me for a bit but just occurred to me to ask about it. Why that icon specifically?

I am not an artist but I assume that icon just got exported with slightly different compression settings from the rest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LordMune posted:

I am not an artist but I assume that icon just got exported with slightly different compression settings from the rest.

But writers create the finest of arts!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, more and more I'm finding the AI a bit predictable. Always doomstacks, huddling in one system with their allies when under threat, sending single transport ships to fortified planets and getting bodied over and over, sending single corvettes to attack battlefleets, etc.

The AI could definitely use some work I think. Unless this is the limit of normal difficulty and they get smarter on higher difficulties?

You are correct. This is why Cherryh is revamping war. Playing at a harder difficulty doesn't change how the AI fights wars. It just makes the rest of the game more interesting, especially if you're into struggling to survive (more fun imo).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I can't see myself playing on normal difficulty ever again really.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hard or Very Hard, depending on my ethics/gov combo. I'm too much of a bitch to do hive minds past Hard. :(

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Oh lord, didn't realize Cleanse Planet counted as purging. It wasn't me guys!! It was them genociding their own people!!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

gowb posted:

Oh lord, didn't realize Cleanse Planet counted as purging. It wasn't me guys!! It was them genociding their own people!!
Check out Billy Mays here. Kaboom, and the (xeno) scum are gone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvzgLXa-dI&t=15s

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 26, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One thing I'm finding that could be improved is spaceport build time. If I'm able to build ringworlds and Dyson spheres, I should be able to build a piddly spaceport for one planet in less than twelve months via research upgrades or whatever

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

How long does the shroud avatar last? Is he permanent?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
the fleet and army units spawned from the shroud are permanent, yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slashrat posted:

the fleet and army units spawned from the shroud are permanent, yes

Not unless something changed recently, they dissipate after a while in my experience.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've not fielded avatars recently, but I recall mine lasting at least 50 years or more when I last did.

Did you actually see them just vanish, or was it just that you noticed they were gone after a while?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nah they last forever, or until somebody kills it I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found a ruined Halo near a fallen empire. Is there any way to salvage it, or is it just there for flavor? I'm going to try building a new one over it when I've got the materials to see if it does anything.

It would be neat if you could reuse the materials at least to build a new one in that spot.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I found a ruined Halo near a fallen empire. Is there any way to salvage it, or is it just there for flavor? I'm going to try building a new one over it when I've got the materials to see if it does anything.

It would be neat if you could reuse the materials at least to build a new one in that spot.

You can repair ruined megastructures when you research Mega-Engineering and have them in your territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slashrat posted:

I've not fielded avatars recently, but I recall mine lasting at least 50 years or more when I last did.

Did you actually see them just vanish, or was it just that you noticed they were gone after a while?

As I recall I got a prompt saying the avatar energies had faded back into the shroud.

They last a fair while but I figured it was to stop you going well over your fleet cap with super powerful units.

• Locked thread