Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Live At Five! posted:

Personally I'm hoping the cowboys go 5-11. Still wouldn't stop the mushbrains in Dallas from saying they'll win the super bowl next year. Nothing will ever stop that.

:downs: The Cowboys will win the Superbowl next year. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think the redskins absolutely hosed themselves by just franchise tagging cousins twice instead of putting any effort into signing a legit franchise qb. Even if the bridge hasn't been completely burnt to a crisp at this point, they'd have to overpay just to make amends for being shitheels the past 2 seasons. And that's not considering the intense bidding other teams will surely put in. Washington is too devoid of talent to be signing joe flacco at this point in time.

So the future has been set, cousins will be franchised again for $35 million and the redskins will flirt with 0-16

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe the Washington team still has that racist name

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asproigerosis posted:

I think the redskins absolutely hosed themselves by just franchise tagging cousins twice instead of putting any effort into signing a legit franchise qb. Even if the bridge hasn't been completely burnt to a crisp at this point, they'd have to overpay just to make amends for being shitheels the past 2 seasons. And that's not considering the intense bidding other teams will surely put in. Washington is too devoid of talent to be signing joe flacco at this point in time.

So the future has been set, cousins will be franchised again for $35 million and the redskins will flirt with 0-16

In a league that routinely screws over it's players this makes me happy for Kirk Cousins.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

euphronius posted:

I can't believe the Washington team still has that racist name

It's loving ridiculous and I get embarrassed every time I accidentally say it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's loving ridiculous and I get embarrassed every time I accidentally say it.

I watched the Raiders Washington game this year with a Native American. Very uncomfortable trying to avoid naming the team for 4 hours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chichevache posted:

I watched the Raiders Washington game this year with a Native American. Very uncomfortable trying to avoid naming the team for 4 hours.

At that point I would just go "look I loving hate the name and I am trying not to say it but if I gently caress up it's because it's said everywhere and I am sorry. gently caress Dan Snyder."

Glad we won Thursday. My prediction: we win enough to be in playoff contention until Week 17 where we lose to the Giants. Again.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I hope Cousins goes to Denver because the Broncos are cool and so is Cousins and Washington is dumb and bad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

NotWearingPants posted:

So I guess the NFC East is pretty much the AFC East now*

*The Eagles are the Patriots in this analogy

It's hard to trust this because of... all of football history... but this really is how it looks at the moment.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

sean10mm posted:

It's hard to trust this because of... all of football history... but this really is how it looks at the moment.

Right now, sure, but I think it's fair to assume the Cowboys will be neck-and-neck with the Eagles for the division most of next season, at the very least. The Eagles are never going to exercise the sort of sustained dominance over the NFCE the way the Patriots have over the AFCE.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Toaster Beef posted:

Right now, sure, but I think it's fair to assume the Cowboys will be neck-and-neck with the Eagles for the division most of next season, at the very least. The Eagles are never going to exercise the sort of sustained dominance over the NFCE the way the Patriots have over the AFCE.

Honestly, I believe Dallas is revealing that they are a one trick pony.

Ezekiel Elliott. And that’s all.

Their offense (time of possession) is their defense. Their actual defense can’t stop a buttery fly. Dak is above average and is proving why he was drafted so late, but is also proving to only be efficient in the “right situation” (Zeke).

This also says that Zeke Elliott is an amazing player. Which, I don’t like to admit, but it’s the truth.

The Cowboys do not look good with Jason Garrett going forward.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Maybe they are much more shallow and fragile than they appeared, but that one-trick pony still managed to win 13 games last year—and look pretty okay this season when Zeke was still around.

Like, I balk at the, "but they lost Sean Lee! And their left tackle! And Zeke!" arguments as much as anybody, because hey, building depth is part of building a successful team, and if you can't do the former you probably won't have the latter—but at the same time, if having those elements in place makes them a contender, then they're a contender until they don't have those elements in place anymore.

Edit: I can't stress enough just how much I want the Cowboys to eat poo poo for the rest of my life on this earth, I'm just sayin' I'll believe they're out of the picture for more than just this season when they start the next one 2-7.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 26, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

I hope Cousins goes to Denver because the Broncos are cool and so is Cousins and Washington is dumb and bad.

:yeah:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

Maybe they are much more shallow and fragile than they appeared, but that one-trick pony still managed to win 13 games last year—and look pretty okay this season when Zeke was still around.

Like, I balk at the, "but they lost Sean Lee! And their left tackle! And Zeke!" arguments as much as anybody, because hey, building depth is part of building a successful team, and if you can't do the former you probably won't have the latter—but at the same time, if having those elements in place makes them a contender, then they're a contender until they don't have those elements in place anymore.

Edit: I can't stress enough just how much I want the Cowboys to eat poo poo for the rest of my life on this earth, I'm just sayin' I'll believe they're out of the picture for more than just this season when they start the next one 2-7.

It's the NFC East. All one team being out of the picture means is at least one of the other two will inexplicably be good enough to seriously contend until Week 15-16 at the earliest

Next year's a toss in the air. Giants could have no McAdoo and Eli benched, Skins could have someone who isn't Cousins

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Next year the Eagles will regress and the Giants will win the division because the NFC East's greatness is only matched by its stupidity.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Toaster Beef posted:

I agree with that when it comes to Tyron Smith, but not Sean Lee because Sean Lee is always hurt. He isn't someone they can ever count on and they should view it as a bonus when he is available.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Eagles have played the easiest schedule in the league.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a new study bible! posted:

Not by DVOA.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Vengarr posted:

Not by DVOA.

Is that a sex thing?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Strength of schedule is a skewed statistic because teams that get destroyed by the Eagles tend to get demoralized and give up on life. And teams that play Washington, who are first in strength of schedule, get inspired and think, "Hey, we can do this thing." Also the Eagles played the Redskins twice and the Redskins played the Eagles twice so that might have something to do with it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

Is that a sex thing?

It's garbage for babies, with less practical value than fantasy football points.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Toaster Beef posted:

Like, I balk at the, "but they lost Sean Lee! And their left tackle! And Zeke!" arguments as much as anybody, because hey, building depth is part of building a successful team, and if you can't do the former you probably won't have the latter—but at the same time, if having those elements in place makes them a contender, then they're a contender until they don't have those elements in place anymore

The "one trick pony" bit is troll talk nonsense. Dallas' success last year was a combination of several factors and their decline was very predictable, as was the Eagles' success in a lot of ways:

- Being a decent team; the Cowboys won a lot of games and they beat a number of good teams, with convincing wins over bad teams

- Having an easy schedule; the Cowboys played one of the league's easiest schedules

- Having incredible injury luck. Although they lost Tony Romo before the season started, the Cowboys lost very few starters to injury and for very few games. This was important because the team has very little depth, owing to bad cap management over the last decade

- Having good luck overall. The Cowboys went 7-2 in one-score games in 2016, which usually portends a decline in the following year as teams regress to the mean. (For reference, the 2015 Cowboys went 2-6 in one-score games, the 2016 Giants went 8-3 in one-score games, and the 2016 Eagles went 0-7 in one-score games, which likewise suggested they were going to improve significantly by record this year while the Giants regressed)

Comparatively, this year's team got worse on defense as the team let several key starters walk (Church, Claibourne, Carr, Wilcox, ), and replaced them with rookies or cheap stopgap replacements (Nolan Carroll, Stephen Paea). The Offensive line is also worse, as the team lost Doug Free to retirement and Ron Leary to the Broncos, and has had to deal with the loss of Tyron Smith for a number of games. And the team hasn't had the same luck with injuries this season; beyond the Zeke suspension and Smith injuries, they've had to deal with frequent injuries to players in the secondary, forcing them to rotate a group of subpar defenders who can't tackle. The team was never deep, even last year, and so the loss of these starters, particularly Lee, who you may be surprised to find played 14 games in 2015 and 15 games last year, has hurt much more. Doubly so when you consider that Jaylon Smith looks terrible and Taco Charlton was likely a one-year wonder in college and a bust as a draft pick. Pile on top of that the Cowboys having a significantly harder schedule this year and it's not a big mystery why the team is 5-6. That they've convincingly beaten the league's bad teams is a pretty clear sign that they aren't bad so much as mediocre, though.

On the flip side, the Eagles improved substantially in their receiving corps and are enjoying one of the league's easiest schedules this year. They're already 3-1 in one-score games, and while losing Peters for the season hurt, it's arguably not as bad as losing Lane Johnson, who missed most of 2016, and the Eagles still have one of the league's best offensive lines. They were well-poised to make a big jump before the season began and so far they've capitalized very well.

The short version is that the Cowboys built a high-variance team; when things go right, the team is a super bowl contender. When things go wrong, they go very wrong, because the team has very little depth and so a small number of key losses make a massive difference, particularly when the team is facing the hardest part of its schedule, like it did over the past 3 weeks.

e: Note that none of those positive factors somehow retroactively make the 2016 Cowboys a bad team, just a team that was likely to fall off the following year

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't want well researched nuance on Sunday please

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NotWearingPants posted:

Is that a sex thing?

She's an overwatch character

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't want well researched nuance on Sunday please

Garrett is a fraud and Jerry Jones oversees a clownshow.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pre-season projections had the Eagles schedule as the hardest in the league

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sean10mm posted:

Garrett is a fraud and Jerry Jones oversees a clownshow.

I've been saying this for years. They haven't had a legit good defense since Wade's first year as HC and have coasted to the few successes they've had since then on the backs of hall of fame level offensive talents even if they only had one insane year in them individually. Romo made one or two subpar receivers a season look like world beaters, and there was a pretty strong rotating cast of decent to great running backs over the years.

All of this offensive talent squandered with garret's far too conservative gameday execution plus no defense to speak of for a decade is where the cowboys are at. Dak isn't RGIII 2.0, but the future seems a lot more like the years between aikman and romo than they do like a continuation of success.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pre-season projections had the Eagles schedule as the hardest in the league

lol

pre-season projections mean a lot less than they do now. The Cowboys and Giants, two good teams from last year in the Eagles' divison, are bad. As are other teams

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

She's an overwatch character

So yes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Your new avatar owns so hard

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Your new avatar owns so hard

Thank you, it was nice of the thread to generate it so quickly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

blue squares posted:

two good teams from last year in the Eagles' divison, are bad. As are other teams

hosed up if true.

Blount please work on your ball handling skills. Elliott please kick the ball inbounds.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

hosed up if true.

Blount please work on your ball handling skills. Elliott please kick the ball inbounds.

He averages 1-2 fumbles per year anyway.

I’m glad he used them both up against the Bears.

Also this

https://streamable.com/4j3jo

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/934892232087363584

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NotWearingPants posted:

Is that a sex thing?

Depends what you're into. It stands for Defense-adjusted Value Over Average.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/week-11-dvoa-ratings

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Someone needs to take that scene from ROTJ and paste in Jim Johnsons head onto Annikan. Obiwan and Yoda are fine to keep.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Someone needs to take that scene from ROTJ and paste in Jim Johnsons head onto Annikan. Obiwan and Yoda are fine to keep.

that's for when we defeat the patriots in the super bowl and end the evil empire forever. matt ryan and donovan mcnabb can play obiwan and yoda.

actually to really do this out:

anakin - TO
obiwan - :mcnabb:
yoda - andy reid

doug pederson is luke skywalker obviously

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

that's for when we defeat the patriots in the super bowl and end the evil empire forever. matt ryan and donovan mcnabb can play obiwan and yoda.

actually to really do this out:

anakin - TO
obiwan - :mcnabb:
yoda - andy reid

doug pederson is luke skywalker obviously

No TO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

what other eagle was tempted by the dark side? the cowboys

• Locked thread