Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Coalition has lost 1.5 million votes over the last three years in federal and state elections when its reversal in Queensland is added to the trend at the last federal election as well as state polls in Western Australia, NSW, Victoria and the Northern Territory. The calculation takes into account population growth to reflect the support the Coalition would have received if it had held its primary vote in the federal and state polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

One former crew member recalled Burke spotting a group of schoolgirls, aged around 14, holding a puppy.

"He stopped and chatted to them and said, 'Do you want me to show you how to hold the puppy properly?"'

Because it was the legendary Don Burke, one of the girls said, "Yeah, that'd be great."

"He showed them how to nurse it close to their chest, keep it nice and warm," the crew member recalled. "When they walked away he exclaimed: 'Give me three!'

"I said, 'three what?' He boasted that he had stroked her nipple three times while showing her how to hold the puppy," said the crew member.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
This poo poo with Burke has been rumored for years. Crikey alluded to it in 2005 after the Enough Rope interview where they felt Denton didn't go all-in on the longstanding rumors.

And a random google pulled up around the time of the Hey Dad allegations breaking:

quote:

I've heard rumors about Don Burke being roundly hated by staff, including for persistent sexual harassment, and staff being told that something would be allowed to be done only when ratings dropped below a certain level.

When you have two chief executives calling you out it's going to be a tough call to lawyer up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who had a worse time in Queensland this weekend, the LNP or the English cricket team?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Who had a worse time in Queensland this weekend, the LNP or the English cricket team?

comedy third option

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

What state is Don Burke from? That is the worst state.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

comedy third option

The crocs?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Imagine what a Queensland house / parliament elected by STV would have looked like.

Focusing on the 2PP figures obscures the fact that One Nation ran second in about a dozen seats, and that the combined primary vote of the major parties was at near historic lows. One Nation might implode (just as they did before, and just as PUP did) but the voters that drift back to the major parties will leave again just as quickly. PHON might go away but the underlying issue won't.

If the effect is confined to a couple of angst filled regional seats it probably doesn't matter much.

I suspect a big part of the problem is that people in these areas have been taken for granted as rusted on LNP voters so neither party has bothered to do much for them. If the long term trend is for net migration from regional to urban areas it probably will matter even less in a decade or so.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/TwoEyeHead/status/934565204737716224

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Brown Paper Bag posted:

What state is Don Burke from? That is the worst state.

The answer shouldn't surprise you. But he doesn't come from the worst city in the worst state.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hey kids wanna learn the correct way to hold a puppy?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Now all we need is Doctor Harry to be accused of being a sexual predator and that's both of the lifestyle shows I watched as a kid ruined.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Analysis by The Courier-Mail has found that if only first preferences counted, the LNP would have picked up more seats — a likely 44 — but still not enough to govern in its own right.

PREFERENCES! :arghfist:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

It's a shame they're probably going to implode federally without Nick in the senate. South Australia may never see a liberal govt again though.

No it’s not, they’re garbage idiots

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Struggling to decide what's more of a rag. Daily mail or courier mail.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think he groped Rosemary Stanton?

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

https://csiropedia.csiro.au/limes/

A good use of our tax dollars lol like the luddites give them tax money anymore from a good government organisation

I have one of those! Desperately hoping to get some fruit off of it. Tiniest flowers on these things. Hope global warming or I don't kill it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

PREFERENCES! :arghfist:

So they’re saying that the Liberals and Nationals merging into one party would be a very savvy political maneuver if we used FPTP as opposed to preference voting. Good to know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/brod/status/934378213622521856

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress sake Don

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

They did the same poo poo in WA. Ranking party members and candidates were tweeting about election results that just weren't there.

These people are loving insane.
Can't say you were robbed if the cupboard is bare!

Do you think he groped Rosemary Stanton?
Too old.

I hadn't heard rumours about sexual malpractice but I had heard that he knew nothing about flora and was constantly being fed his information by a team of researchers and production staff*. Makes his 'celebrity' appearance on Frontline a little disappointing.

*Probably young and nubile.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

News just in: Abbott is salty about leaks!

guardian live blog posted:

Abbott talks about a “faustian pact” that exists between those who leak and journalists. This pact, apparently, guarantees the politician favourable coverage in exchange for the leak.

If someone is a regular source you then write favourable things. Now, in the end, politics is diminished.

:allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Greg Sheridan weeps

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Imagine what a Queensland house / parliament elected by STV would have looked like.

Surely we can do the math and figure out what a QLD senate would be from this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Tony Abbott's pressers are basically trump tweets in reverse.

While there's a trump tweet accusing Obama of basically everything Trump has done wrong since becoming President, at least he didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

Abbott's just straight up delusional in that almost everything he's criticised politicians of in the last 3 months have been things he was either responsible for, or a key example of. He sees his career coming to an end and he's trying to set up his legacy by pretending to be "above" all the childish bs that's destroying his party from within; except anyone with half a functioning brain can see the hypocrisy. I feel like the media are just publishing it for a laugh now.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I find it amusing that now the Nationals have been subsumed into the LNP, the Katter party is about to get 2-3 seats. If only the Nationals walked their talk.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Tony Abbott's pressers are basically trump tweets in reverse.

While there's a trump tweet accusing Obama of basically everything Trump has done wrong since becoming President, at least he didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

Abbott's just straight up delusional in that almost everything he's criticised politicians of in the last 3 months have been things he was either responsible for, or a key example of. He sees his career coming to an end and he's trying to set up his legacy by pretending to be "above" all the childish bs that's destroying his party from within; except anyone with half a functioning brain can see the hypocrisy. I feel like the media are just publishing it for a laugh now.

The press would love nothing more than for Abbott to make a formal challenge for the leadership because it would drum up news traffic and they could just dust off template opinion pieces from the Turnbull/Abbott/Turnbull & Rudd/Gillard/Rudd archives.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If he's really conceding the end of his political life as you say, then surely he will go out taking one last stab at the top job. He's the kind of personality the cannot pass that poo poo up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
how the gently caress am i supposed to focus when there are like 29 votes between berkman and king

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hiddenmovement posted:

If he's really conceding the end of his political life as you say, then surely he will go out taking one last stab at the top job. He's the kind of personality the cannot pass that poo poo up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pauline Hanson’s One Nation CANDIDATE for Toohey ELECTORATE - (QLD)
Guansheng (Victor) Zhang - Toohey
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY - QLD

ABOUT GUANSHENG (VICTOR)

Guansheng was born in China and was raised in a conservative family which always encouraged him to be an honest, respectful and hardworking person. He sticks to this principle and likes to teach his children the same way as he believes these characteristics are the essential elements for a positive and peaceful society.

In 2005 Guansheng first arrived in Australia on his own as a university student. He started his Australian life in Toowoomba. In the 12 years since, an overseas student became an Australian Citizen who works hard every day to contribute to his community.

Also going by the name Victor, he’s a father who loves his three little girls and is concerned about the future of his family, his community and his country. He is strongly aligned with Australian values and culture as well as One Nation policies seeking better opportunities for Queenslanders.

Guansheng is from the immigrant community but he hopes to break the barriers between locals and immigrants, to make people better understand each other. Also, his experience of settling is like a lot of new Australians, so he can address the issues from experience.

Guansheng finished his Diploma of Civil construction and holds a Bachelor of Commerce, in Construction Supervision. He has a varied background with experience in agriculture and roles in both private and public sectors.

Victor is currently working as a bus operator. As he travels the local routes he can see the issues in the Toohey electorate by first hand, and friendly conversations with passengers. He believes the work experience in different industries and various tertiary education background enhance his ability to consider matters wisely.

Guansheng is sick and tired that the two major parties play politics day by day with no vision. They have forgotten to listen to people, forgotten to work for our people and even forgotten they are there to represent our people.

It's time for people to say No to political correctness and help Queensland move forward with:

- Cost of living and cost of electricity.

- Seek solutions to stop the mega development on Underwood Rd.

- Protect our children and our future, abolishing the radical safe school programs or equivalent.

- Law and Order, with an increase of tougher sentencing and rebranding of the Police Force.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"rebranding of the Police Force"?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"rebranding of the Police Force"?

Edit:

Albanese posted:

You know who has been in this position before Patricia? John Howard, the former Member for Bennelong when he was Prime Minister. People from the Tampa were settled in New Zealand. They stayed there. They are still there today. That was what John Howard did. He also of course brought people to Australia. That is what the Howard Government did, in spite of all of the rhetoric about these people wouldn’t settle anywhere and wouldn’t be dealt with. The fact is that people were brought to Australia and in particular, relevant here, is they were brought to New Zealand.

So this sort of nonsense campaign from the Government once again forgetting that they are actually in a position of authority here, acting like they are part of an Opposition. They have the power. They also have the responsibility to provide solutions and what do we see from them? We see from them every time something is asked of them they speak about Labor. Well, we are in our second term of Opposition, unfortunately. But what we have with the Government at the moment is behaving like an Opposition in exile; like they have no responsibility for anything that is going on and they are not coming up with solutions. And very clearly the situation on Manus is unacceptable. It needs to be dealt with by the Government and the Government is simply failing.

Looks like at least part of the ALP don't think it's impossible to play down the middle either.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 27, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So... are they all sitting on the parliament lawn yet peaking through the windows to see if its open?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I hope they're tearing the fence down so they can sit on the lawn

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Looks like at least part of the ALP don't think it's impossible to play down the middle either.

To be fair, it's only recently that the ALP opposition has acted like an actual opposition, particularly in reference to this issue and we have yet to see whether they act like a responsible government on the issue either. But of course that's "lefty" talk isn't it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I expect to see them do exactly what they did last time.

After they've swept the coalition away in a tsunami-like victory, leaving them but a husk of their former self and displacing many of the more agitating right wing mouthpieces, they'll quietly wind back offshore processing and start managing requests for asylum in line with international obligations, because hot drat is it ever cheaper, and it keeps the left off your back. The boats narrative probably won't be nearly as effective next time, as Tony Abbott really overdid it, and delivered incompetence. Won't stop them from trying again, but I don't think the ALP will be worried about it until their second term, when the Libs start to gain influence again.

Then they'll find an even more horrible solution for the former to exploit once they ultimately win govt on the back of a fierce media-backed campaign of misinformation.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
NBN Co are putting all new HFC orders on hold. :downsbravo:

quote:

New HFC rollout initiatives announced to help improve end user experience and retailer satisfaction
NBN Co today announced it is introducing new initiatives aimed at raising the standard of service quality when declaring the Hybrid Coaxial-Fibre (HFC) network is “ready to connect” (RTC). The move is part of a broader program to improve customer experience.

The changes to the HFC (also known as Pay TV network) rollout – which is currently adding an average of nearly 80,000 new premises each month – are designed to provide a better experience when getting connected and when using the service. The changes will also help to further improve the reliability of the network.

The company’s current corporate plan calls for nearly three million premises to ultimately be served by HFC access technology. Today, nearly one million premises are ready to connect with 370,000 having done so already.

The new initiatives will be first applied to the network where there are existing end users. Once these areas meet the required standard, the company will then focus on those areas next scheduled in the rollout queue.

To help ensure the best possible experience for its customers (the internet service providers) and their end users, NBN Co will temporarily pause all new orders over its HFC access network. This pause will be in effect until incremental field work is undertaken to raise the quality of service for end users.

There will be a delay of the current rollout timing of new HFC areas while the company undertakes this work in both the existing footprint and areas not previously declared ready for service. The company confirmed, even with these changes, it remains on target to connect eight million active end users and deliver a fully connected continent by the year 2020.

In order to meet a higher level of service quality, NBN Co will be performing advanced network testing and remediation where needed, wholesale connector replacements, signal amplification calibration, and lead-in work as required.

Internet service providers are being informed of the changes and NBN Co’s website will be updated in the weeks ahead so end users can check their address and understand any changes that may impact their eventual switch to the nbn™ access network. NBN Co is working with the existing infrastructure owners of both the ADSL and HFC networks to be sure those who may wait a bit longer to switch to services on the nbn™ access network will still have access to the same services that they have today. This means existing (non-nbn) ADSL and HFC customers should continue to access their current (non-nbn) service while these changes are made.

NBN Co management said that while it was pleased that many end users served over its HFC network were satisfied, too many were not having the experience they deserve when getting connected and some were not experiencing the full potential of the network.

HFC technology can provide best-in-class speeds and data carriage. The company said that the extra time and effort taken would help ensure people could enjoy the well known and well regarded fast broadband that HFC technology is delivering globally.

As part of its regular reporting, NBN Co committed to providing updates on the progress of work on the changes to the rollout of the HFC network.

NBN Co Chief Executive, Bill Morrow, said:

“So we can provide a better experience to our customers and their end users, NBN Co will immediately implement new initiatives designed to improve the quality of service for end users on our HFC network.

"In order to deliver an improved experience on HFC, NBN Co will be performing additional work ahead of end users being able to connect to nbn™ services on the HFC network.

“With the incremental work now required before a home is declared ready to connect, we are focused on providing a better service to our customers (the internet service providers) and thereby improving the experience for the end user.

“While the good news is that we are working on a better experience for the internet providers and end users, the improvement efforts will take additional time and therefore a delay of schedule will occur for most of the remaining HFC premises that have yet to switch to services on the nbn™ access network.

"We remain confident of reaching our goal of completing the build and connecting eight million Australian premises by 2020.

"There are so many elements of this industry transformation that we cannot directly control, but we are serious about improving that which we can. This is a deliberate change to demonstrate NBN Co’s focus on putting the customer experience as a priority over all else.

“The HFC access technology is used around the world to deliver reliable high speed broadband services. This technology is an important part of NBN Co’s technology mix.

“The rollout of the nbn™ access network is one of the most complex and ambitious initiatives in any telecommunications market across the world – we are focused on ensuring the network is ready to deliver services which meet the expectations of Australians.”

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/improved-customer-experience.html

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Give me a home among the gum trees, with lots of come trees. A grope or two at a bbq, a slap right right on the crack, what a place to hunt, all on Burke’s back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Wasn't today the day that everyone but the Liberals were going to show up for parliament? What happened with that?

• Locked thread