Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So with Asgard the realm gone, did Thor lose his powers as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nah, Thor has been cut off from Asgard before and still did okay.

Also "Asgard is its people, not a place" and he took all the surviving Asgardians with him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

eyebeem posted:

Loved the movie, and it’s my new favorite marvel film.

That scene really took me out of the movie and rubbed me the wrong way. Felt super poorly timed and I cannot believe they left it in, let alone put the scene in the movie to begin with.

I’m a super liberal California coastal elite, so I get that I’m THE demographic that would feel the way I did. I’m sure my raised-in-rural-Pennsylvania wife wouldn’t have batted an eye. My 15 year old daughter thought it was loving weird too, though.

The comic book movie you actually want to apply this criticism to is the Old Bailey hostage scene at the beginning of Justice League. And maybe you have, since I haven't waded into the CineD Justice League thread :shobon:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Avalerion posted:

Is this like how movies refused to show any kind of tower crumble because 9:11, so now since there was a shooting movies can't have guns in them for a while? Even if this were a thing that scene was probably shot long before that.

This would be more apt if there were planes flying into buildings around the country on a weekly basis, and people got really defensive about being able to buy planes at wal mart because it’s their right to crash them into burglars, or deer.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This would be more apt if there were planes flying into buildings around the country on a weekly basis, and people got really defensive about being able to buy planes at wal mart because it’s their right to crash them into burglars, or deer.

This.

They specifically chose THE gun that has been consistently used in mass shootings for their big heroic redemption scene. I get that I'm a soft bellies liberal pussy, but I couldn't help forgetting about Thor and thinking of the literal babies that were just shot in the head in a church by an rear end in a top hat with an AR.

The scene is fine, it makes sense, it's a comic scene callback, but it's definitely tone deaf.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thor opened world wide, not just in countries that think the public should have assault rifles.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

eyebeem posted:

This.

They specifically chose THE gun that has been consistently used in mass shootings for their big heroic redemption scene. I get that I'm a soft bellies liberal pussy, but I couldn't help forgetting about Thor and thinking of the literal babies that were just shot in the head in a church by an rear end in a top hat with an AR.

The scene is fine, it makes sense, it's a comic scene callback, but it's definitely tone deaf.

They used a very recognizable and common gun, calm down turd belly.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe they should have delayed Thor: Ragnarok until the year 3033, that way it won't be released next to any mass shootings. (Because by then we will have mass laser shootings)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eyebeem posted:

They specifically chose THE gun that has been consistently used in mass shootings for their big heroic redemption scene.

Yes, Walter Simonson looked into his crystal ball back in 1985 and saw that mass shooters 32 years in the future were using M16s so he deliberately drew them into the comic. That's exactly how that scene was created, you are correct.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's rough that they had to adapt the comic book to the letter, that must be very restrictive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'll die (in a mass shooting) before I let idiot Americans strip good scenes out of a movie because their country is permanently brain damaged

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, you know, it's just difficult to enjoy a movie when it suddenly reminds you of a guy splattering baby brains all over a pew literally days before.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's rough that they had to adapt the comic book to the letter, that must be very restrictive.

would it have made you feel better if Skurge was holding 2 giant walkie talkies

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CharlestonJew posted:

would it have made you feel better if Skurge was holding 2 giant walkie talkies

That's not really equivalent.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, you know, it's just difficult to enjoy a movie when it suddenly reminds you of a guy splattering baby brains all over a pew literally days before.

Well, it's just going to keep happening so, deal with it?

Personally I thought the scene was dece

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
That guys posted 51 times in here in the last 2 days and suddenly and dramatically shifted from movie isn't funny to guns in movies are unacceptable... to quote THOR... methinks there beeist a troll in our midst.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

sleep with the vicious posted:

Well, it's just going to keep happening so, deal with it?

It doesn't...have to? That's a weird stance to take. Shootings aren't a natural phenomenon that we have no control over, it's not like you turn on the news and the meteorologist says there's a 20% chance of rain and a 45% chance of getting gunned down at a Wienerschnitzel.

Work Friend Keven posted:

That guys posted 51 times in here in the last 2 days and suddenly and dramatically shifted from movie isn't funny to guns in movies are unacceptable... to quote THOR... methinks there beeist a troll in our midst.

No dramatic shift, sorry. My first post mentioned it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Begone Troll! With the hammer of mine very father, Odin, I smite thee - Thor

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Having an opinion you disagree with doesn't make me a troll.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Stop TROLLing the thread, friend

Thor is a movie about God's and aliens with badass AR16 machine guns (awesome scene, brutal), not trolls

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It was mostly about Jeff Goldblum being intensely fabulous, let's be honest here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, I thought it was really cool that they used a more retro M16. It's not really "the gun" that's been used in recent mass shootings. The barrels shroud of the M16 is what you see in a action movies from the 80s, but modern AR15 and M4 barrel shrouds look pretty different. So I really appreciated that they didn't use a more modern style of gun.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Having an opinion you disagree with doesn't make me a troll.

Constantly posting and never letting it go kinda does though.

It's a callback to a famous comic scene. Sorry you didn't like it, but you can shut up about guns now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Constantly posting and never letting it go kinda does though.

It's a callback to a famous comic scene. Sorry you didn't like it, but you can shut up about guns now.

It's a discussion thread and people keep responding, if you don't want to see further discussion, stop responding.

edit: what're some good early Thor comics? I grew up mostly with newspaper strips and Mad Magazine so I totally bypassed superheroes, but I've always liked the mid-late century style.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 26, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It doesn't...have to? That's a weird stance to take. Shootings aren't a natural phenomenon that we have no control over, it's not like you turn on the news and the meteorologist says there's a 20% chance of rain and a 45% chance of getting gunned down at a Wienerschnitzel.

they pretty much are at this point. Nobody in power is going to do a drat thing about it so it's pointless to criticize every movie for having guns

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

they pretty much are at this point. Nobody in power is going to do a drat thing about it so it's pointless to criticize every movie for having guns

Especially since, in this case, guns were being used to defend women and children instead of, you know, killing them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CharlestonJew posted:

I disagree, I think that's an unhealthy attitude, and I don't think we should glamorize gun violence. That's all. :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I disagree, I think that's an unhealthy attitude, and I don't think we should glamorize gun violence. That's all. :shrug:

glorified gun violence can be a really really cool thing ex: the John Wick movies

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Guns and gun violence are cool, and Marvel should keep up the good work. That's my thoughts in Thor ragnarok

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Context is important. In some movies, gun violence is shown as a cathartic way to deal with your personal problems. It’s a badass way to get revenge, to assert yourself, to show how masculine you are. This is unhealthy, and Thor: Ragnarok starts out rightly criticizing it with Skurge’s buffoonish “Des and Troy” speech. In the end, he uses Des and Troy, not to assert himself or enact retribution, but to defend others. I think there’s an important distinction there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phylodox posted:

Context is important. In some movies, gun violence is shown as a cathartic way to deal with your personal problems. It’s a badass way to get revenge, to assert yourself, to show how masculine you are. This is unhealthy, and Thor: Ragnarok starts out rightly criticizing it with Skurge’s buffoonish “Des and Troy” speech. In the end, he uses Des and Troy, not to assert himself or enact retribution, but to defend others. I think there’s an important distinction there.

I mean, I guess? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the character. It felt like if Bilbo had given Frodo a special magic AK-47, and then at the end of Return of the King he'd shot Sauron in the eyeball with it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Should have given him less lethal guns like icers from AoS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, I guess? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the character. It felt like if Bilbo had given Frodo a special magic AK-47, and then at the end of Return of the King he'd shot Sauron in the eyeball with it.

What are you a script doctor or something???!!
That’s money! You got the job!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LingcodKilla posted:

What are you a script doctor or something???!!
That’s money! You got the job!

lmao

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They should include a school shooting in the next one just to drive this segment of the audience away

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Accretionist posted:

They should include a school shooting in the next one just to drive this segment of the audience away

:shittypop:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And? Other than the obvious anachronism, why should that bother you?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phylodox posted:

And? Other than the obvious anachronism, why should that bother you?

Because I don't go to fantasy films for hooah gun nonsense?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Because I don't go to fantasy films for hooah gun nonsense?

But hooah sword nonsense is fine? Death and violence you don’t mind, as long as it’s perpetrated with outdated tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phylodox posted:

But hooah sword nonsense is fine? Death and violence you don’t mind, as long as it’s perpetrated with outdated tools?

Well, mass sword attacks are pretty rare, so...

• Locked thread