Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm glad the full anime series kept the HQ animation from the OVA. Also, I look forward to the next ep with the dog :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And now we see why everyone's kind of afraid of Elias. :allears:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

I'm assuming the title for Episode 8 will be: Ohhhh now you hosed up!

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I have a feeling this little poo poo wont be put underground until later, but I'm always down for some good "you hosed up" comeuppance.

Also I liked how we saw how competent Chise is now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sindai posted:

How bad could it possibly be-AAAAHWHATTHEFUCK?!? :stare:

Chaosfirev posted:

I have a feeling this little poo poo wont be put underground until later, but I'm always down for some good "you hosed up" comeuppance.

Yeah he reeks of recurring poo poo. Wasn't he the one in the cat past too?

Accidentally made a too strong sleeping potion? Might as well bring it along. :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chaosfirev posted:

Competent and actually seeming hopeful and almost upbeat at points.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Yeah he reeks of recurring poo poo. Wasn't he the one in the cat past too?
Yeah, that was him.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

Competent and actually seeming hopeful and almost upbeat at points.

Having some sort of purpose can do wonders for depression.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, turns out I'd forgotten all about spidergina :stonk:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
What if the solution to Wizard... .... Is a gun??????

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Good boy acquired. :sun:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Magic Bullets!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think of all music in this show so far, the "You're about to see some hosed-up poo poo" track with the horns is my favorite.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

worked in fate/zero!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man Chise was getting ready to put the slay in Sleigh Beggy. The manga is probably still ongoing, so I doubt it, but is the anime ever going to depict her giving out some giant cosmic rear end whoopings?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Two things of which I will never tire:

-Elias's transformations
-Cartaphilius getting shot

Also, Ruth. :3:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
BTW Ruth is a meaningful name, it means compassion and is the root of the word "Ruthless".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat.

Wait, so that guy is a mage who's a sadistic rear end in a top hat torturing and hurting people for the sake of curiosity and, seemingly, amusement, so... Jesus cursed him to live forever? To bring extra suffering to the world? Are they sure it wasn't actually the devil behind it?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Poil posted:

Neat.

Wait, so that guy is a mage who's a sadistic rear end in a top hat torturing and hurting people for the sake of curiosity and, seemingly, amusement, so... Jesus cursed him to live forever? To bring extra suffering to the world? Are they sure it wasn't actually the devil behind it?

It's this guy, but with more magic rear end in a top hat.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poil posted:

Neat.

Well, his current state of being is clearly hellish--his mind appears to slip from moment to moment and he's basically a living zombie.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Poil posted:

Neat.

If I remember correctly, while he's seemingly immortal he's in constant pain and is looking for a way to stop it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Poil posted:

Neat.

Well, if you know for a fact that Heaven is a real place that for sure actually exists, then people arbitrarily dying becomes significantly less horrible since they'll (hopefully) go to heaven. Whereas NEVER dying means you're doomed to exist in an eternally aging/decaying body while permanently barred from paradise, and also that you'll probably be alone literally forever.

And you know, there's always the chance they could repent and live as a good person and have the curse undone. I'm told Jesus was real big on the whole forgiveness thing.

But yeah pretty hosed up to stick everyone else with a pissed off sociopathic mage in the meantime.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Well, if you know for a fact that Heaven is a real place that for sure actually exists, then people arbitrarily dying becomes significantly less horrible since they'll (hopefully) go to heaven. Whereas NEVER dying means you're doomed to exist in an eternally aging/decaying body while permanently barred from paradise, and also that you'll probably be alone literally forever.
I'm pretty sure he would go to straight to hell. And with the cat curse he prevented two humans and a lot of cats from ever reaching heaven if it wasn't for Chise, or someone else, breaking the curse. Not to mention grafting Isabelle into a video game boss monstrosity, denying her rest as well. :(

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yikes.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Since Yahweh basically cursed Lucifer to cause pain and suffering in the world for all eternity I don't see how him doing it again to some random human would be THAT much more of a stretch.

It is interesting how they incorporate Judeo-Christian myth into the more typical "fairytale" myth in the story. Then again, the first time I ever heard of the Wandering Jew was in Franken Fran, not any of the Western media I consume.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've never bothered reading the Wikipedia article before, but

quote:

A variant of the Wandering Jew legend is recorded in the Flores Historiarum by Roger of Wendover around the year 1228.[15][16][17] An Armenian archbishop, then visiting England, was asked by the monks of St Albans Abbey about the celebrated Joseph of Arimathea, who had spoken to Jesus, and was reported to be still alive. The archbishop answered that he had himself seen such a man in Armenia, and that his name was Cartaphilus, a Jewish shoemaker, who, when Jesus stopped for a second to rest while carrying his cross, hit him, and told him "Go on quicker, Jesus! Go on quicker! Why dost Thou loiter?", to which Jesus, "with a stern countenance", is said to have replied: "I shall stand and rest, but thou shalt go on till the last day." The Armenian bishop also reported that Cartaphilus had since converted to Christianity and spent his wandering days proselytizing and leading a hermit's life.

just cracks me up. "With a stern countenance," indeed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

paragon1 posted:

TBH growing up I thought heaven was similar to Halloween and Santa so I'm not completely sold on the eternal happiness deal. I confess it feels like he's bored of living and everything vs just being alone forever since deep down aren't we all alone right now?

I mean, the thorn mage is alone too since he's the only creature with the same appearance.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I want my own sheeperpillar to test potions on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Joseph is literally the Wandering Jew, only he learned magic to find a way to free himself from the curse. Guess Jesus didn’t reckon he’d be able to keep himself sane enough for long enough to make himself a serious threat to others.

It’s weirdly admirable, in a way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang this is a good anime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I will say that I thought the direction wasn’t great this episode. The choreography was sloppy, and the tonal shifts were very oddly-placed. It kind of felt like they were copying a bunch of manga panels without looking at how they felt as a unified whole.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

I will say that I thought the direction wasn’t great this episode. The choreography was sloppy, and the tonal shifts were very oddly-placed. It kind of felt like they were copying a bunch of manga panels without looking at how they felt as a unified whole.

Yeah, I had the same experience, the little chibi moments felt out of place considering how serious everything else was.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Labes for days posted:

It is interesting how they incorporate Judeo-Christian myth into the more typical "fairytale" myth in the story. Then again, the first time I ever heard of the Wandering Jew was in Franken Fran, not any of the Western media I consume.
I mean, most of the "fairytale" mythology in this is heavily Celtic/Nordic, and the OVA is Japanese so I guess it presuposes that all fables are true in some way.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I had the same experience, the little chibi moments felt out of place considering how serious everything else was.
You're not exactly wrong, but they're in the manga too and this is very much a one to one adaptation.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The thing is that things like that work far better in a manga format, which while I think this is a pretty solid adaptation overall, I think that the manga's the better way to experience Ancient Magus' Bride so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, most of the "fairytale" mythology in this is heavily Celtic/Nordic, and the OVA is Japanese so I guess it presuposes that all fables are true in some way.

You're not exactly wrong, but they're in the manga too and this is very much a one to one adaptation.

That’s exactly the problem, though. A good adaptation takes into account the differences between the media, conveying the general experience in different ways with a different toolkit. Manga-to-anime comic timing tends to be particularly hurt by this - a one-panel joke can be a funny and incisive detail on a page, but an obnoxious distraction when you add sound and colour and make it take up the whole screen for several seconds while the voice actors say the lines. Good adaptations either cut that stuff out, leaving the comedy to more overtly comic scenes where it won’t damage the tone, or find some other, less jarring way to lighten the atmosphere.

Similarly, the panel-to-panel style of direction hurt the action here - characters would teleport around and jump between situations without a clear sense of flow or place. Animation brings a touch of the third dimension to a scene, and they’re not taking advantage of it. Compare how, say, Blood Blockade Battlefront adopts its action from page to screen, and you’ll see what I mean.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I'm just saying don't expect it to change.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Alder posted:

TBH growing up I thought heaven was similar to Halloween and Santa so I'm not completely sold on the eternal happiness deal. I confess it feels like he's bored of living and everything vs just being alone forever since deep down aren't we all alone right now?

I mean, the thorn mage is alone too since he's the only creature with the same appearance.

The whole idea is premised on Cartaphilus (and Jesus I suppose) believing that heaven is real as premise for the logic of why they might have done what they did, so you not believing in heaven isn't an issue. I'm not sure why you bring it up?

You should probably talk to someone about that whole feeling alone all the time thing.

StandardVC10 posted:

I want my own sheeperpillar to test potions on

:same:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The whole series has been like this, but this episode was definitely worse than the usual. I don't know anything done by director before this, but I'd argue he's definitely the wrong choice for the show.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

paragon1 posted:

The whole idea is premised on Cartaphilus (and Jesus I suppose) believing that heaven is real as premise for the logic of why they might have done what they did, so you not believing in heaven isn't an issue. I'm not sure why you bring it up?

You should probably talk to someone about that whole feeling alone all the time thing.

Because I don't understand why it's terrible to wander forever? I read the wiki but other than his physical problems I don't get it. Is the legend about a deeper meaning that I missed due to my secular upbringing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alder posted:

Because I don't understand why it's terrible to wander forever? I read the wiki but other than his physical problems I don't get it. Is the legend about a deeper meaning that I missed due to my secular upbringing?

You are forever denied paradise and must instead suffer to decay for eternity, physically and mentally. Pretty sure someone else said those exact words, and if you dont get why that sounds awful I don't know what I can say to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You are forever denied paradise and must instead suffer to decay for eternity, physically and mentally. Pretty sure someone else said those exact words, and if you dont get why that sounds awful I don't know what I can say to you.

Sorry, google told me immortality would be cool.