Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
mcmagic you are an absolute goddamn idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I believe that A&M wants Jimbo, and I believe there must be some indication he's willing to entertain an offer with this much smoke, but beyond that I seriously doubt anything is in place yet.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I'm glad UT dodged the Schiano bullet, but oh boy I'm not enthusiastic to see where we go from here. Mullen was probably my #1 realistic candidate :smith:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Fly Gruden back to Knoxville

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Les Miles is a respectable man, looking for work.

Do it, Tennessee.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You defended him at first.

Then you defended his boss for not firing him.

So, yeah I guess you defending Schiano here checks out.

Wrong. I never defended Rice or his actions. You're lying.

Everyone knows what happened today. People didn't like Schiano as a football coach so they used this circumstantial hearsay with no proof to try to scuttle the hire and it worked.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Jimbo leaves, who the hell would FSU even go after? Most of the top-tier names are already off the board.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

This attempted hiring of Schiano stinks of Jimmy Haslam, that incompetent gently caress.

his hands are all over it for sure

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Even without the Sandusky stuff, the fact that Tennessee would hire Schiano means they've whiffed on everyone. There is no plan B.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Wrong. I never defended Rice or his actions. You're lying.

Everyone knows what happened today. People didn't like Schiano as a football coach so they used this circumstantial hearsay with no proof to try to scuttle the hire.

Lmao. Dude you literally made the post everyone still makes fun of you for YEARS LATER because of the Rice poo poo.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/934978223439355905

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

David Baliff's seat is probably very warm right now, but he did do a lot of things good at Rice before the wheels fell off. Its up in the air

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lmao. Dude you literally made the post everyone still makes fun of you for YEARS LATER because of the Rice poo poo.

I know people make fun of it years later but I 100% did not defend Mike Rice or any of his actions and anywho who says I did is full of poo poo.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This has brought out the best people to discuss this thing.

https://twitter.com/BigJohnson177/status/934939171390504960

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

If Jimbo leaves, who the hell would FSU even go after? Most of the top-tier names are already off the board.

Who knows, they certainly don't. And that's why I don't believe they'd let him leave without a fight.

Besides, why leave a fairly cushy gig to go and get your brains beat in once a year by Saban? Unless there's reliable word that Saban's done in a year or two, going from FSU to A&M is career suicide.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Benne posted:

Taggert and Charlie Strong are 2 names I've read. I really hope Jimbo doesn't bolt.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Whoever takes the Oregon State job has a long road ahead, and it starts with Ohio State in week one next season.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Komet posted:

Even without the Sandusky stuff, the fact that Tennessee would hire Schiano means they've whiffed on everyone. There is no plan B.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the #1 from the word go and everything else was just bullshit. Haslam and Currie love Schiano and Jimmy wanted him back before Kiffin.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oregon State already hired Beau Baldwin. He led Eastern Washington to an FCS title, fought tooth-and-nail with Pac-12 teams every year, well-respected in the region. It's a good hire, exactly the type a program like Oregon State should be making.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

someone post the full quote, we've gotta go full circle here.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Who knows, they certainly don't. And that's why I don't believe they'd let him leave without a fight.

Besides, why leave a fairly cushy gig to go and get your brains beat in once a year by Saban? Unless there's reliable word that Saban's done in a year or two, going from FSU to A&M is career suicide.

I'd agree it's a risky move, but here's the contrarian take- Bama aside, the west is going to be composed of a post-Mullen Mississippi State, a (likely) sanctions impaired Ole Miss, an Ed Orgeron-helmed LSU, and whatever Arkansas decides to be. For the immediate future, it's not necessarily going to take a herculean effort to reach the point where you're competing for #2 in the division. A&M has high expectations, but if he's winning 9 or 10 games a year he's going to be just fine for a long time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If you want to see how competent the Haslams are at sports, look no further than the Cleveland Browns

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

If you want to see how competent the Haslams are at sports, look no further than the Cleveland Browns

e: my joke was spoiled by a spelling error dammit

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

angryrobots posted:

Whether he's right remains to be seen, but this guy is the sports director at a Houston NBC affiliate.

https://twitter.com/RandyMcIlvoy/status/934891984862547968?s=17

That's a legit account alright but when it comes to Houston TV guys the only one with credibility is Mark Berman at KRIV, the Fox affiliate.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Benne posted:

Oregon State already hired Beau Baldwin. He led Eastern Washington to an FCS title, fought tooth-and-nail with Pac-12 teams every year, well-respected in the region. It's a good hire, exactly the type a program like Oregon State should be making.

That is a good hire. I always make sure I watch when NDSU plays Eastern Washington. They're always a tough team.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Korranus posted:

That's a legit account alright but when it comes to Houston TV guys the only one with credibility is Mark Berman at KRIV, the Fox affiliate.

Will coach one final game, but not the bowl game. WTF game is he going to coach?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hurricane delayed game I believe.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Will coach one final game, but not the bowl game. WTF game is he going to coach?

They rescheduled ULM for Dec. 2 when it became apparent they'd need it to have any shot at bowl eligibility

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Why doesn't Schiano just throw Paterno under the bus?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

I'd agree it's a risky move, but here's the contrarian take- Bama aside, the west is going to be composed of a post-Mullen Mississippi State, a (likely) sanctions impaired Ole Miss, an Ed Orgeron-helmed LSU, and whatever Arkansas decides to be. For the immediate future, it's not necessarily going to take a herculean effort to reach the point where you're competing for #2 in the division. A&M has high expectations, but if he's winning 9 or 10 games a year he's going to be just fine for a long time.

A&M believes they're a contender in the West, partially based off that first season where they won at Tuscaloosa with a near-generational QB (and set Saban off to change his entire defensive philosophy). I don't believe 9 wins is going to satisfy them if it means going 5-3 in the conference. You also left out Auburn which has been up and down under Gus, which means you might be playing for third if Gus is on one of his up years.

Maybe in the back of Jimbo's mind he's thinking that Saban's 66 while Dabo's only 48 and he'd have a better chance going to the SEC West and waiting out Saban than staying in the ACC Atlantic and battling against Dabo for however long (this also means he think Dabo won't go to Bama once Saban retires :ssh:). It can't just be the divorce and the 7.5m, if it's money he wants FSU will give it to him.

Jimbo's got a job at FSU for as long as he wants unless seasons like this past one become the norm and a not a fluke. At A&M he's got 3 years to get into the Playoff before the seat warms up. Why he'd jump into that is beyond me but I don't know how he thinks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

Hmm i feel like you have left out a team or two from your analysis, like possibly one that is about to win the goddamn natty bitch

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mcmagic posted:

Why wouldn't I?

The guy who, besides the Paterno thing, leaked Josh Freeman's mental health records? Great hill to die on.

As for Beaty, he beat Texas, he gets a year 4. It's stupid and Kansas can do better, but not by much, so whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
For real though is Schiano a bad coach? I mean he is clearly a bad NFL HC, but we all know that is an entirely different skill set than college HC. He seems to be a good DC, and the fact that he made Rutgers above average seems to be a huge plus in his favor. I guess he doesn't have any other college HC experience to point to. I know its a huge thing to say "lets ignore the cover up of child rape" but I am genuinely curious why he would be a bad hire as a college coach.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also: "generational" or "once in a generation" has been applied to Cam, RG3, Jameis, Johnny Football, Deshaun, Lamar, etc. That's at least six guys of the same generation.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

swickles posted:

For real though is Schiano a bad coach? I mean he is clearly a bad NFL HC, but we all know that is an entirely different skill set than college HC. He seems to be a good DC, and the fact that he made Rutgers above average seems to be a huge plus in his favor. I guess he doesn't have any other college HC experience to point to. I know its a huge thing to say "lets ignore the cover up of child rape" but I am genuinely curious why he would be a bad hire as a college coach.

He's probably a reasonably OK coach in terms of results on the field, but is it worth the potential (well, realized) PR nightmare to be just reasonably OK? Like, surely there are at least a dozen other coaches in that same "tier" who don't carry any negative connotations. It's like when they came up with the turnover trash can, you ask yourself, couldn't they have picked almost any other object in the world that didn't carry the association with Garbage?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

I know people make fun of it years later but I 100% did not defend Mike Rice or any of his actions and anywho who says I did is full of poo poo.

So you didn't entirely defend Rice -- I went back and looked through like 20 pages of posts -- but you did basically say you didn't have a problem with them just suspending him (lots of posts of you going "but the players are ok with it!!!") and then you completely gave Pernetti a pass for his conduct during the entire fisco so yeah. Not really the best look, but yes you did not defend Rice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

The (probably fair) consensus is that he'd stand a good chance of being solid if unspectacular, but not nearly good enough to put up with the assholery that's defined his career, and that's before taking Sandusky stuff into account.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

It's a risk because we have only a short sample size that was a relatively decent chunk of time ago.

I don't know if we can call him bad but it's a big risk.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Also: "generational" or "once in a generation" has been applied to Cam, RG3, Jameis, Johnny Football, Deshaun, Lamar, etc. That's at least six guys of the same generation.

Generational for a program. Each player you mentioned was at a different program.

Prior to Cam, the last "generational" talent Auburn had was Bo Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I usually understand "generational" to mean generational for their specific program. Which I think applies for all of the examples listed.

• Locked thread