Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

zimbomonkey posted:

This feels like a really underwhelming hire tbh.

He was the OC behind Meyer's success until he left Gainesville. His offensive clout, combined with learning the ropes as HC at MSU, gives me hope. It's not easy to win in Starkville. If nothing else it's a test of how UF's advantages translate on the field, now that we've seen his performance at MSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I and several others wanted Mullen to come to Nebraska in 2014, not that it was necessarily realistic.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Give me the mad hatter. I'm already used to lovely qb play so give me the 3 yards and a cloud of dust to go with it. :unsmigghh:

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Nah. Most programs would kill for Mullen and they’ve been very productive with lesser talent. Dude can coach QBs too.

I’d never guarantee anything, but this is the closest thing to guaranteed offensive production outside of Chip Kelly.

And he’s loving young too. Potentially great long term hire.

It isn’t splashy, but I’m jacked.

I was begging for Dan Mullen to come to UT. If you can succeed at the poorest school in the SEC in the middle of nowhere Mississippi, only a stone's throw away from Tuscaloosa, you can succeed anywhere.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

didn't greg schiano bully grown adults into contracting MRSA?

This along with releasing Josh Freeman’s mental health records (I still blame him for breaking Freeman) and making the defense dive at the knees/go after the ball on victory formation kneel downs several times to the point Peyton called him an rear end in a top hat. Forgetting the Penn State stuff it’s not like the guy is a paragon of honor and nobility. UT fans wouldn’t have reached the fever pitch they did even taking all of the above into account without the PSU stuff, but here we are.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

Nah. Most programs would kill for Mullen and they’ve been very productive with lesser talent. Dude can coach QBs too.

I’d never guarantee anything, but this is the closest thing to guaranteed offensive production outside of Chip Kelly.

And he’s loving young too. Potentially great long term hire.

It isn’t splashy, but I’m jacked.

Yeah I think he's a pretty good hire for Florida. He's proven that he can build a decent team and make the best of his talent (at least on offense). I'm glad Auburn doesn't play them every year, because I'm a little worried about what he will be able to do with Florida's QB talent.

Plus he's apparently an rear end in a top hat so the state of Florida should be a perfect fit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Schiano is basically Tennessee is pulling a Harriet Miers gambit to make bringing back Kiffin more palatable.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:laffo: Returned to the US, caught up on Tennessee :laffo:

Glad they've now poisoned themselves for any coach with other options, great job, can't wait to see what hilarious poo poo they get up to this week.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Real Name Grover posted:

I can't remember if there were any circumstances RE: his departure from Hattiesburg.

Whatever happened to Hagetaka, our resident Southern Miss goon

I can take over that mantle. There weren't - although SM fans were a little salty about the timing of his departure, as it was like a week before signing day. He might have left USM a little early into rebuilding (3 seasons, 1-11, 3-9, 9-5) after the Ellis Johnson Disaster of 2012, but no one faults him for taking an NFL job. This changes, of course, if he does go to MSU as there's a 2019 game on the schedule between the two.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That’d be a totally sensible hire for Miss St. You can even trick the fans and just pretend that after USM he went and turned around Army too.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
So South Carolina's offensive coordinator, Kurt Roper, is either going to be let go, or may take the open Rice job?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pillsburysoldier posted:

To be fair, that fan rules

It was you, wasn't it?

Also, Jimbo will never be fired from FSU, his buyout is FORTY MILLION DOLLARS.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/935175197312847877

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet Tommy Tuberville would take the job, as long as there's a golf course nearby. He'd be better than anyone else who would take it at this point.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Will Styles posted:

I don't think Graham should have been fired, but it makes sense for what they want from the program. His ceiling is about 10 wins, and he won't be consistent. The program is trending up though so do you fire him now or next year when they finish with 7-9 wins? If he isn't the guy you want and the buyout doesn't scare you then now is the best time to dump him.

If he finished next year with 9 wins he should've been granted a lengthy extension. If the program is "trending up" (hard to tell), it's only been doing so during Graham's tenure. They want the program to be consistently great (who doesn't?), but we haven't ever been consistently good. That's a big leap. I'd be ok if the firing was immediately followed by the hiring announcement of some can't-miss super coach, but if we're just shopping around like everyone else, that seems like a poor plan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How long before we have Enemies of Tennessee Athletics?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DJExile posted:

How long before we have Enemies of Tennessee Athletics?

We already know that we are our own worst enemies.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

*in a the "Borat" voice* very nice

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I bet Tommy Tuberville would take the job, as long as there's a golf course nearby. He'd be better than anyone else who would take it at this point.

This can't be true

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

One thing that's not said enough by the national hacks is that Schiano's renaissance at Rutgers was over 10 loving years ago. If there were any UT coaching search to be involved with, it should've been their one in 2008. They're acting like this guy just made Rutgers a Top 25 team.

Since then: NFL flame-out, coaching a prep school, assistant for Urban. If I'm UT, I'm going for a hungry up-and-comer. That ain't Schiano. #hirebobo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so how long before they just give the job to Brady Hoke?

D.N. Nation posted:

One thing that's not said enough by the national hacks is that Schiano's renaissance at Rutgers was over 10 loving years ago. If there were any UT coaching search to be involved with, it should've been their one in 2008. They're acting like this guy just made Rutgers a Top 25 team.

Since then: NFL flame-out, coaching a prep school, assistant for Urban. If I'm UT, I'm going for a hungry up-and-comer. That ain't Schiano. #hirebobo

I mean, they're openly begging for a guy who has never coached a college team and hasn't coached period in 10 years, so the Schiano thing isn't that egregious in perspective.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is purely Haslam's choice and his clammy hands are all over this dumb hire. He is the main reason Currie, a failure at Kansas State, was hired in the first place and not David Blackburn, who was the obvious and smart replacement for Dave Hart.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

At this point, it would be a pretty big win for UT to hire Gruden, even though Gruden will suck in college football.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sportsgenius86 posted:

so how long before they just give the job to Brady Hoke?

You know if Hoke would of beaten Vandy I bet there would be a chance of this happening. That said I'm pretty sure given how bad the team has been under him and the Jennings thing he will not be back at all.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

We give Vols fans poo poo but they really do deserve a lot of credit for torpedoing the Schiano hire immediately.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/935185500851150849

Lol

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

You know if Hoke would of beaten Vandy I bet there would be a chance of this happening. That said I'm pretty sure given how bad the team has been under him and the Jennings thing he will not be back at all.

Did you hear more about the Jennings drama that was reported? About how he stopped going to classes, didn't travel with the team anywhere, didn't attend practices or rehab with the team. I read a report that they cleaned out his locker because they thought he quit. If all that is true I'm less upset that he was kicked off the team than before when it was just his Instagram post to go off of.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Double post but David Blackburn just recently stopped down from UT-Chatt within the past week. He needs to be brought in immediately.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Why on loving earth would you go for Schiano over, I don't know, *waves hand at dozens of qualified coaches*

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Why on loving earth would you go for Schiano over, I don't know, *waves hand at dozens of qualified coaches*

James "Jimmy" Arthur Haslam III

e: lol

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My favorite part of the Jennings story is him showing up to practice and demanding to play QB. Then leaving to go smoke some weed after they said no.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/MattSchonvisky/status/935185951818764288

Hmmmm

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

He gone.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i don't know if there is anything that would make me happier than Scott Frost turning down Nebraska. Before Florida announced Mullen, the good folks over at Huskerboards were already tying themselves into knots about how they weren't sure Scott Frost was the answer but lesser fans of Nebraska Cornhusker Football would lose their minds if he turned them down

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

nate fisher posted:

I mean I think if you can Currie, I don't see how you're going to: hire a new ad and coach.

Like this is a hot mess and a lot of people are gonna go "nooooopeeeee."

I'd think give Hoke a short-term deal and then reset. I know that's not really want you want to hear if you're a Tennessee fan, but it might be better than whatever toxic sludge you're going to get if Currie stays or if you fire Currie and have to replace him and a coach.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They could hire freshly fired Jay Jacobs. He only covered up abuses of softball players

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If you're going to edit Wikipedia like that, it would help to construct grammatically correct sentences, but this is Tennessee we are talking about....about which are are talking.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean I think if you can Currie, I don't see how you're going to: hire a new ad and coach.

Like this is a hot mess and a lot of people are gonna go "nooooopeeeee."

I'd think give Hoke a short-term deal and then reset. I know that's not really want you want to hear if you're a Tennessee fan, but it might be better than whatever toxic sludge you're going to get if Currie stays or if you fire Currie and have to replace him and a coach.

Fulmer as interim AD for this year, and Hoke has temporary head coach until things calm down? A lame duck 2018 season is a tough pill to swallow, but all the good coaches are off the board at this point.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They could hire freshly fired Jay Jacobs. He only covered up abuses of softball players

Now now, Jay Jacobs "resigned."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brdispatch/status/935189185367035904

I strive to be an elite husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

As a fan of an AAC school who just lost their coach last season to a power 5 team it always sucks to see a great coach like Frost leave but that’s how it goes I reckon.

• Locked thread