Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Is there any way to tell when a colony you just took over is ready to be razed? I took over a system in a war just to prove a point and I want to get rid of it and I"m just clicking on it every turn waiting for the "evacuate colony" button to be not greyed out and it never is. I know there's some time delay, but it's already been 10 turns I think and it's still not an option.

e: Finally was an option. Took forever though.

Anyone else ever getting hit with the bug where diplomatic proposals from AI's can't be seen/accepted? I get little bits of dialog from people with no offer and no option to say yes/no, and then they get angry at me the next turn for not doing anything.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In the system panel above the approval rating you'll find the assimilation %. I think it's like 8% a turn? So they'll be functional several turns before they're actually "yours".

My Voydani playthrough de-bugged itself magically and I completed all quests, but just to make sure: It ends with you building the Temple of Virtual Academy, which lets you move heroes with no cd. Reading the quest, it sounds like it's all over. That's it? Was kinda expecting ES2 quests to continue into super-endgame content with a win condition kinda like they did in EL =/

Oh, and the Voydani don't have the tech to peacefully annex systems, right? Whoops, no way to spend this 50k influence after all

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, no quest victory. Guess they're saving that for an expansion. Finishing the Horatio quest got me 3 level 10 heroes so at least it was a baller prize.

Just pounded out my first game (aside from about 3 reboots < 50 turns in I did while I was learning the mechanics). Normal difficulty, normal speed, 8 factions (one of each), me as Horatio, wonder victory, finished a turn or two before 200.

Got lucky with pirates not being too near me to start, although they did eventually start making GBS threads on me once I expanded further out. I got sick of them around turn 100 or so and made a death stack piloted by a (Vodyani, I think?) hero that had a bunch of upgrades for increased damage that I maxed out, and after that military was pretty much a non-issue for me for the rest of the game. Didn't upgrade the military tech much, just had uh....whatever the 'hunter' class ships were kitted out with titanium ballistics stuff and that did the trick. AI declared war on me a few times but never really made it to my systems, I'd just move the stack on em and win a few battles/siege their stuff a bit until they went away. According to the charts at the end some of the comps had similar military power to me but they never seemed to really use it.

Mostly prioritised generating food and influence over everything. Settled five or so planets, assimilated 5 minor factions. I think I spliced six, maybe seven different species by the end of the game into my genes. Trying to balance the different species around was kind of funny. Early game the population loss from splicing could be pretty crippling. Later you're playing weird games like trying to get rid of populations that you already spliced but are still hanging out as minorities to replace with a new minority to grow and splice. The tech that lets you convert one minority pop to a Horatio seems to pick the minor faction at random so you either have to micromanage the factions around via ship ports to make sure it's eating up one you won't miss, or just accept that it's gonna carpet bomb your minorities if you want to use it a bunch (and I totally did late game).

Once I got the tech that unlocks turning excess food into production my industry skyrocketed and I went in for the wonder victory. Kind of annoying that that scales for alliances. I broke my alliance with two other computers that I had maintained for most of the game one turn before the third obelisk finished because like hell do I want to drag on the game for another few dozen turns just because they're tagging along.

By the end of the game I had built almost everything I could build in all 10 of my systems. There wasn't a whole lot of specialization going on, everything got big.

Going for an influence conquest victory where you blob across the galaxy and peacefully convert systems to you seems like it could be fun. I liked how big my blobs were getting and how they were swallowing up the neighbour systems. But I'm guessing that by the time you have the tech and the influence engine up you'd need for that to be viable, it would be easier to just wonder/tech/econ it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Alliances are super annoying in this game, they drag you into (and out of) wars willy nilly. Very poorly done, it feels more like a three-legged race when the other guy is drunk, rather than a partnership where you talk poo poo over before going into war. Stellaris got one thing (very much) right, I gotta admit.

Crispybaby: Did you notice any active lvl5 pirate lairs near faraway empires that where doing poorly? Once someone pointed that out, amusingly calling it "sitting in a corner eating crayons" it kinda ruined them for me. I turned them off for my 2nd game on Hard and holy cow it's been a total warfest on every side, much more enjoyable. Disable pirates.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Unfallen may have been a bad pick to play my first complete game. I'm well past the point where I could simply conquer everyone, but I seem to have to connect up every capital world in the galaxy with these dumb vines to do it :downsgun:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Question of my own this time: I've picked the Unfallen quest line where I need to have 40 Diplomatic Pressure (might not be what it's called) with another empire. Is there a way to see what the current value with a given Empire is? The pressure per turn is obvious enough but I'd like a more concrete idea of how long it will take to achieve.

Also the per turn rate seems minuscule even though I'm in an alliance and with as many peaceful treaties as possible.

... I wonder if force peacing impacted that at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't know if there's a way a to see exactly how much you have.

Anyway, you actually get less pressure for being at peace. You get more pressure for being at Cold War. Presumably because you're being friendly instead of pressuring them. You can make it go faster with Bureaucratic Obstruction, which is a diplomacy option that costs 500 influence.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

I don't know if there's a way a to see exactly how much you have.

Anyway, you actually get less pressure for being at peace. You get more pressure for being at Cold War. Presumably because you're being friendly instead of pressuring them. You can make it go faster with Bureaucratic Obstruction, which is a diplomacy option that costs 500 influence.

Guess I shouldn't believe anything everything I see on reddit huh. I'll give that a shot later, thanks!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, maybe it worked differently before the latest patch.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Every single other race, at turn 5, gets a choice to pick what kind of mission they want. Vodyani get attacked by pirates that murder their starting wheel and wound the hero literally no matter what I try.

How the gently caress do you get your wheel to survive turn 5? It's pretty bullshit to cripple the vodyani's exploration by guaranteeing that they lose their starting fleet before you could research a single thing or upgrade in any way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Krinkle posted:

Every single other race, at turn 5, gets a choice to pick what kind of mission they want. Vodyani get attacked by pirates that murder their starting wheel and wound the hero literally no matter what I try.

How the gently caress do you get your wheel to survive turn 5? It's pretty bullshit to cripple the vodyani's exploration by guaranteeing that they lose their starting fleet before you could research a single thing or upgrade in any way.
When I used the Vodyani as my visual type (those ships of theirs are so sexy *swoon* ) I have gotten the event that spawns pirates, and I ignore them. Were you getting attacked outright (as in, the pirates spawned on top of you and forced a fight)?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

Eh, maybe it worked differently before the latest patch.

Well obstructing once just took me from 0.3 to 1.6 so yeah I'm just going to keep doing this I think.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When I used the Vodyani as my visual type (those ships of theirs are so sexy *swoon* ) I have gotten the event that spawns pirates, and I ignore them. Were you getting attacked outright (as in, the pirates spawned on top of you and forced a fight)?

Yes but also they block off your star lanes and now you can't explore to find a site for your 2nd ark.

Okay I finally got a thing that keeps it alive: Don't go 2 probes. Go 1 probe, 1 shield. Add more shields. Change to lasers. Use your first level up to + shield absorption on fleet. Add other shieldboys to the ball. I can now complete the starting mission.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Vodyani starts feel very random in whether you get one or two starting planets, if there are any minor civs nearby, and if you get blocked off early. The latter two you can mitigate by picking a more connected galaxy (for instance, disc instead of spirals). I've never done the pirates quest with only a Wheel though, always researched military hulls first and hit them later.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Promethium posted:

Vodyani starts feel very random in whether you get one or two starting planets, if there are any minor civs nearby, and if you get blocked off early. The latter two you can mitigate by picking a more connected galaxy (for instance, disc instead of spirals). I've never done the pirates quest with only a Wheel though, always researched military hulls first and hit them later.
Yeah I am going to do Dics galaxies in the future I think, in my current game I was really isolated in an arm and have more economy than the rest of the galaxy added together because I developed in peace until I was into tier 5 techs. I built an extra Wheel and went after my pirates though - the basic hull can fit three guns I think so I just spammed missiles and laughed.

edit: which reminds me, are missiles any good late game? Havent bothered try to spam solely missiles yet, which is a tactic I usually hate doing, buti t can be a fun gimmick.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Taking a moment to give a random recommendation to Dungeon of the Endless http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050/Dungeon_of_the_Endless/ as I recently rediscovered how fun this little game can be with friends. Has some pretty rad music just like the rest of the Endless games, and the ever present dust addiction.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Overminty posted:

Question of my own this time: I've picked the Unfallen quest line where I need to have 40 Diplomatic Pressure (might not be what it's called) with another empire. Is there a way to see what the current value with a given Empire is? The pressure per turn is obvious enough but I'd like a more concrete idea of how long it will take to achieve.

Also the per turn rate seems minuscule even though I'm in an alliance and with as many peaceful treaties as possible.

... I wonder if force peacing impacted that at all.

Diplomatic pressure is actually a hostile action, so being all buddies with them will reduce it. Cold war is the best way to push it, while peace and alliances reduce the pressure by a factor of .5 and .25 respectively, iirc. No matter what, it's capped at 10 per turn. Fastest way to get more of it is to buy bureaucratic thingies for 500 influence, which btw is considered vaguely hostile. Other good ways are pushing your influence radius into theirs (hard until lategame), or just running a ship into their land, blowing up what you can, and being a dick to them in the diplo screen when they ask you to stop. Or just spend 500 a few times, that sounds easier.

I'll anti-reccomend Dungeon of the Endless. It took a while for it to 'click' with me and start winning, and that was when I realized that it's basically a pure tower defense game with window dressing, and trying to use your heroes as dps/tank is a losing idea. I hate TD's, so yea I'd say avoid.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

onesixtwo posted:

Taking a moment to give a random recommendation to Dungeon of the Endless http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050/Dungeon_of_the_Endless/ as I recently rediscovered how fun this little game can be with friends. Has some pretty rad music just like the rest of the Endless games, and the ever present dust addiction.

Dungeon of the endless ruins friendships because HOLY poo poo STOP OPENING DOORS. Play the game exactly as I tell you! No, easy is actually hard mode. It's like a joke.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

I'll anti-reccomend Dungeon of the Endless. It took a while for it to 'click' with me and start winning, and that was when I realized that it's basically a pure tower defense game with window dressing, and trying to use your heroes as dps/tank is a losing idea. I hate TD's, so yea I'd say avoid.

I don't know, I have to respectfully disagree. The starting game may be strongly tower defense--but there are numerous other game modes (re: ships) that significantly change the mechanics of the game. I've got like 200 hours in the game and I feel like I'm still finding new ways to play it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I see it more as a Roguelike with Tower Defense elements, at least for the basic ship

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do you dismiss a hero? I got one I dont want and would rather just get rid of it but cannot find the button.

Also do you get more options for these battle card thingies? I see that I have researched some but I dont know how to change the ones I get to chose from in battle. This is the ships tab.

How would a Horatio AI on Hard difficulty be on the verge of winning a conquest victory 100 turns in? I only just discovered them and yeah I guess I could throw some fleets at them but this just seems odd...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 29, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sure its possible to fire heroes? They don't cost upkeep if unassigned, and after a turn or two the game stops reminding you to use them so it's a non-problem.

The warning about victory types seem to kick in veeeery early, something like 20% of what's needed. I keep getting all sorts of popups about me winning for almost every victory type just by naturally getting big in the midgame.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think some of them are bugged, too. I got one in the last game I played about some guy being four turns away from victory and given that this was like turn 140 or so on Normal I figured that didn't sound right. And it wasn't, nothing happened and I didn't hear about it again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Uh, keep in mind that there are these random quests that pop up asking you to have the most food/production/whatever of any faction in the next X turns. The game will periodically pop up to warn you that Horatio is 4 turns away from winning (the quest), which I've found slightly disorienting before. Not sure if anyone else has that problem.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Aw gently caress, maybe that was it. Reading is tough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I've done that exact mistake before. RIP Lumaris ally, you where just being a peaceful banker when your human ally went full bipolar on you for no reason whatsoever =[

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Clarste posted:

Uh, keep in mind that there are these random quests that pop up asking you to have the most food/production/whatever of any faction in the next X turns. The game will periodically pop up to warn you that Horatio is 4 turns away from winning (the quest), which I've found slightly disorienting before. Not sure if anyone else has that problem.
The one I posted about is specifically "This AI is close to winning a Conquest Victory!". It is very strange.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, for Conquest victory in particular it says that whenever anyone conquers another major faction capital. Each capital is considered a "victory point" equivalent to researching a super tech or building a wonder.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks to the new Railgun/swarm missiles it looks like they've decided to make the old white weapons into era unlocks, like how things used to work in Endless Legend.

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/66-game-design/threads/28534-free-week-end-ship-modules-reward?page=3#post-252589

Sounds good.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am too stupid for this game.

Options seem to be either:

1> Attempt to fight the pirates near your starting planet, but get repeatedly raped.
2> Build enough decent ships to actually fight them, and enjoy being a Military dictatorship.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Nah, that sounds right. I just started playing and anecdotally it feels like by the time I have enough of a military to take out the nearby pirates it's enough to take out all my neighbours as well. I'm questioning their design. Normally I always play default settings but I'll probably turn them off next game like a few people suggested just to see how it feels.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I put the Pirates on easy and they are more of a speedbump and less of an apocalypse for new players.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm currently dealing with a pirate infestation in a galaxy where no-one appears to have done squat about them

i just took out like 50 pirate ships with a huge fleet of torpedo cruisers and there's still millions more

it's... was this playtested? ever?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm currently dealing with a pirate infestation in a galaxy where no-one appears to have done squat about them

i just took out like 50 pirate ships with a huge fleet of torpedo cruisers and there's still millions more

That was my question. I almost didn't buy the game on a 50% discount after playing for free for a weekend. It was awful until someone posted info on how to turn them off .... in a hidden menu.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Almost certainly not. Default pirates will overrun default AI consistently.

AlternateAccount posted:

1> Attempt to fight the pirates near your starting planet, but get repeatedly raped.
2> Build enough decent ships to actually fight them, and enjoy being a Military dictatorship.
Yea pretty much. The balance on military political influence is totally whacked, and it's pretty much impossible to avoid the party with standard 4X play.

These are design flaws that I know will not be addressed since it takes too much effort, but what reallllly grinds my gears are trivial bugs that are highly visible yet still not squashed. Like having the +3 speed no-resource ship module not obsoleting itself when the +5 one comes online, and constantly clicking it by mistake. Or having neutral factions that you own constantly spamming you with notifications that you own them, and having assimilation quests that when completed don't do anything, but you can start another one if you want! Basically poo poo that should have been ironed out if not by release, then within a few patches after release as the player base notices it, is still there when it's like such a small fix. Argh.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

The thing that bugs me is that they couldn't decide whether they wanted Civ 4 or 5 style expansion penalties, so they just added both.

Seriously why is there permanent expansion disapproval in this game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

just lol that I cannot assign a hero that is in hi ship in a system to instead govern that system. I have to wait 10 turns!

:shrek: "I'm sorry sir you cannot enter your office."

:human being: "Why not? I went out in my yacht to defend the solar system, and now I return."

:shrek: "Well because you went and got in your personal yacht you are barred from entering your office for 8 more galactic cycles."

:human being: "W....what? Why?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 30, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair that's a minor quibble, it's a good mechanic to force ppl to commit to where the hero is instead of spamming reassignments. That there are slightly unrealistic mechanics in a 4X should not be a surprise to anyone.

tips posted:

The thing that bugs me is that they couldn't decide whether they wanted Civ 4 or 5 style expansion penalties, so they just added both.

Seriously why is there permanent expansion disapproval in this game.
Civ5 had increasing empire costs (as seen in ES2 laws/government types... and anywhere else?) but I've not played civ4, is that just the -10 happiness per extra settlement? Even with the harshest of penalties, it's totally worth hyper-expanding in these games. Industry is King, and there are copious ways of mitigating the happiness penalties, if not just outright cheating out of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

To be fair that's a minor quibble, it's a good mechanic to force ppl to commit to where the hero is instead of spamming reassignments. That there are slightly unrealistic mechanics in a 4X should not be a surprise to anyone.
To be fair, its really loving arbitrary and stupid. This is a game about the future. The guy never left the solar system. He is a hero infused with a magical "Dust" material. He has the power to make or break empires, but he cant hop out of his yacht and go into an administrative office because "reasons"? A one or two turn delay would be one thing, but ten? Because I have to make "tough decisions" about how to "commit my resources"? lmao lets try to get with 2017 here folks.

edit: and to be clear, I'm not actually that upset by it, just annoyed at old 4x tropes that just force me to take notes on a notepad so I dont forget to do something (like re-assigning my hero to the system after waiting the 8 more turns) because there are arbitrary rules in place for no good reason.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You don't need a notepad, just un-assign him and the game will prompt you when he's ready to be used again. It's a video game with an anti-tedium mechanic to prevent sperglords from spending an extra 30 minutes trying to micro where each hero could be placed optimally. You want 'reasons'? It's explicitly stated ingame that heroes have a huge retinue behind them that makes them unwieldy. It's 2017, just put the hero in a scout, system, or deathfleet and stop trying to make your life a micro hell. If you have to wait 10 turns, it's because you just assigned him this very turn. Think about that.