Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [31F] boyfriend's [32M] brother [22M] upset me by talking about my mom's death, and my boyfriend is taking his side.

This Thanksgiving is the first time I met my boyfriend, Jake's, family. We've been together almost a year and are talking about moving in together, so it seemed like it was time.

In advance of our trip, I asked Jake to tell his family about my family. My mom was murdered when I was in my early teens. As she was a single mother, with no real family, I was bounced around to foster homes until finding a nice family to live with for the last few years of my teens. I am still in touch with that family, but not in a 'they're my family' way, just a 'send a Holiday card' kind of way. My mother's murder was obviously an extremely traumatic experience for me, and it was a somewhat notorious case in the area I grew up in, to the point where I occasionally get tracked down by the websleuths crowd or other gawkers and get harassed.

I asked my boyfriend to tell his family about this just to avoid any awkward questions about my family over dinner, because I've been put on the spot before at events and didn't really know what to say when pressed besides, 'My mom was murdered and I have no family! Pass the peas!' which makes things very awkward and makes me feel like crap. Also, my name is very similar to my mom's name, so sometimes when I meet strangers they will make a connection and be like, 'Like that lady who got murdered!' (For example, if my mom's name was Elizabeth Shoemaker, mine would be Ellie Shoemaker) not thinking I'm actually related to her.

So, the actual problem. The plan was to arrive on Thanksgiving for dinner and then stay the weekend. Jake and I got there, ate dinner with the family, helped with dishes, and were having an overall great time. His parents were lovely and didn't bring up anything awkward. I was finally getting comfortable when his parents decided to go see a movie with some friends in the evening, and Jake went with. I decided to stay behind because I had a headache. I was left alone in the house with the dogs and with his younger brother Chris, who just graduated college and moved back home.
Chris and I hadn't really interacted during dinner since we weren't sitting near each other, but he seemed like a nice enough kid. I didn't really expect to interact with him much, as I was lying on the bed in the guest room with a headache, but about five minutes after the door closed, Chris appeared in the doorway with the opener, "Jake told me about your mom. Were you there when it happened???" and started, believe it or not, peppering me with graphic questions about THE MURDER OF MY MOTHER.

I was stunned and didn't know how to respond, so I repeated, "I don't want to talk about this' and he finally said, 'Sorry' and left. I sat on the bed for awhile not really knowing how to react but feeling general unease, shock, and the mild feeling of panic I get when people mention my mom's death when I haven't mentally prepared to talk about it. About 15 minutes later, he was back, having Googled it, and excitedly started TELLING me what he read, how he found a forum where people have alternate theories, what did I think, etc. I again told him I didn't want to talk about this, and at this point closed and locked the door and stayed there until Jake got home.

When Jake got home, I was visibly extremely upset, and told him about my interaction with Chris. I told him that I'd prefer to go home; that he didn't have to come back with me, that I'd get a rental car and drive home, but that I didn't want to stay in the house with Chris. I expected some support (and genuinely didn't expect him to interrupt his holiday for me!), but he immediately told me that I was overreacting, that kids now have a morbid sense of humor, that Chris is a good kid, that it probably wasn't as creepy as I said, that he's just a kid, blah blah blah. I was shocked because I felt like Chris clearly crossed a line, and my gut was telling me that he was not a safe person for me to be around (not physically but I really did not want to spend the weekend with someone who was going to keep picking the scabs of the worst trauma of my life).

I ended up taking the car (which is actually my car) because Jake said his parents would drive him home. His parents were already in bed, so I left them a note thanking them and saying I had to leave suddenly because I wasn't feeling well. I drove four hours back home alone and stayed with a close friend all weekend. Jake's texts to me were short all weekend, and when he got back to his apartment he didn't come over or invite me over, and said that he was 'still angry' about the way I acted toward his family.

At this point I don't know what to do. I know I didn't overreact. 22 years old is young comparatively, but a 22 year old is not ACTUALLY a kid. He definitely seemed to be enjoying how uncomfortable he was making me, and I have had enough contact with 'websleuths' type people or people who are 'fans' of murders to know that he was being creepy and invasive. The fact that Jake is mad at me for all this makes me want to break up with him, and that's the part where I can't tell if I'm overreacting. Should I expect him to have my back over his creepy brother's? Should I bother trying to make him understand this? Can we have a relationship if I don't want to be around his family?

I'm sorry if this is unclear or disjointed, I am paranoid about accidentally giving identifying details so I may have messed some things up.
TL;DR: My boyfriend's little brother cornered me twice to ask me invasive questions about my mom's murder. My boyfriend thinks I overreacted by removing myself from the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Murder your boyfriend and then tell the brother to “figure it out”

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's PTSD, boyfriend needs to educate himself. Brother needs a kick in the dick.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's PTSD, boyfriend needs to educate himself. Brother needs a kick in the dick.

lol. you don't have to know about ptsd to realize that's a lovely way to act, he's just an rear end in a top hat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you need to be educated at 30 that “repeatedly asking someone about their murderd mother” is bad I feel like maybe you dont qualify as good boyfriend material and your seed is weak.

A friend of mines father got murdered in 3rd grade and guess what, I knew then that hey I shouldnt make jokes or comments about dads much less their specific murdered dad.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I will 2nd the "kick in the dick" approach.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Broaching the subject is kind of not cool. Broaching the subject after being told not to broach the subject is definitely not cool. Broaching the subject multiple times after being told they don't want to talk about it is a dick move and a 16 year old should be able to figure it out. Not understanding that at 22 is either signs of mental retardation or signs of being a loving rear end in a top hat. Or both.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Barudak posted:

If you need to be educated at 30 that “repeatedly asking someone about their murderd mother” is bad I feel like maybe you dont qualify as good boyfriend material and your seed is weak.

A friend of mines father got murdered in 3rd grade and guess what, I knew then that hey I shouldnt make jokes or comments about dads much less their specific murdered dad.

Hell, I could even see a hardcore loving shut-in not getting it, but she told him, an adult, multiple times each conversation that she didn't want to talk about it

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dude was definitely trying to torpedo his brother's relationship, and he succeeded. The fact that boyfriend is taking his side and not giving him a swift rear end kicking and a apology to girlfriend is real dumb.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Dude was definitely trying to torpedo his brother's relationship, and he succeeded. The fact that boyfriend is taking his side and not giving him a swift rear end kicking and a apology to girlfriend is real dumb.

Some people can’t contain themselves when they are near someone or something “notorious.” These people are assholes. I think the torpedoed relationship is a side effect, and aided along by his brother defaulting to being defensive of his family (who he probably really wanted her to like). I hope their parents kick both their asses.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
One Weird Trick to Ruin Your Brother's Relationship - Murdered Moms HATE THIS

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Me [29M] with my girlfriend [33F] of 2 months: How upfront should I be and is this reasonable?

quote:

A few days ago we decided to pump the brakes a little. Things were going great, and they still are. We are just being more responsible and less full-steam-ahead regarding co-habitation.

However, I've been doing a lot of thinking on this whole life/relationship thing. I've come to realize that I can pretty easily list things I want/need in life/a relationship. So, below you will find a list.
  • sex when I'm in the mood (not frequently, but I don't want to be pressured, but I do enjoy frequent handies)
  • someone to watch TV/movies, read, and play videogames with
  • someone to have intelligent conversation with
  • someone to fall asleep and wake up next to and cuddle
  • someone to wake me up in the morning
  • someone to talk to me in the shower
  • someone to do the grocery shopping, a majority of meal prep (including paying for most dinners out) and laundry
  • someone to handle people (like calling in pizza orders) for me
  • someone around whom I can use the bathroom with the door open (if I forget to close it, it's not like a fetish or anything)
  • someone that knows we're still together even if we sit apart and accepts my neurosis
  • someone that respects me and values my skillsets and just wants to be around me
  • someone to have by my side with things with friends.
Everything above is generally mutual. Regarding the food/grocery thing, my stance in the past has been "I'm happy to pay for housing, you pay for food and stuff, mkay?" So I pay rent, internet, etc...

Anyways, is that a reasonable expectation of a partnership? And if so, should I be really upfront and direct about it? If unreasonable, what is unreasonable?

Thank you all in advance. I really appreciate your input and thoughts.

TL;DR - I know what I want out of a relationship but I don't know if it's reasonable or if it's acceptable to bluntly state it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

Me [29M] with my girlfriend [33F] of 2 months: How upfront should I be and is this reasonable?

They seem to have missed 'Someone to call mum' off their list. Lol at the someone to make all their meals but also pay for everything when they're out as well.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Dump Jake, run his brother over with a car.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
dear reddit: I want a bangmaid, how can I trick someone into this????? tia

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Palpek posted:

Copy command: We've located the archetypal man child. Proceeding to isolate and contain.

e: Please post some comments. There's got to be at least a few supportive idiots.

Also, 29 years old.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Palpek posted:

Don't date anyone you hosed up child.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

dear reddit: I want a bangmaid, how can I trick someone into this????? tia

As with everything in life, be born into unbelievable wealth

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
sometimes I think this next generation is gonna be alright :unsmith:

my (17m) mom (43f) made fun of my date (16f) for her appearance. I feel so bad for her and don't know how to make it better

quote:

I'm a junior and I've been lab partners with this girl Janine in chemistry since the beginning of the year. She is very smart and one of the funniest people I ever met. I think she is very good looking but in sort of a non traditional way. I finally got my courage up to up ask her out this last week and we decided to go see a movie on Saturday. Her dad has a rule that when she goes out she has to drive because he thinks boys are idiots when they drive so she came to pick me up at my house. When she got there my mom basically said "wow, you are so handsome not what we were expecting but handsome." I could tell that Janine was kind of like taken aback because she is already self conscious about her looks and it really sucked because it just made the rest of night awkward because my moms comments were just like I would rather her not say anything or compliment Janine on her brains or what not.

What so crazy about this is my mom is a total feminist and I never ever thought she would say something like this. I asked her when I got home what she meant by calling Janine handsome and she said basically that she always expected me to date girls who were better looking. I said that wasn't cool mom and she said some times the truth is the truth and needs to be said. I said she really hurt Janines feelings and then my mom made a really mean joke about Janine looking like a football player. I didn't know what to say because my mom is so not this person because she's so into equal rights for women, gay and trans people and hates Trump with a passion (my mom spends like 90% of her free time on reddit to hate on Trump she's so into it).

I didn't really talk to my mom today and I tried to text Janine a few times, hit her up on AJ and roblox and even our schools chat system and even though I can see she's on she isn't hitting me back. I feel so bad about all this. But I also feel that if the off chance she didn't understand my mom was being so horrible I can't go like "hey sorry my mom called you an ugly lineman, here's flowers baby."

How can I make this up to Janine? Or is this like totally blown.

tl;dr: My mom called my date ugly.

I like this kid, I hope there's an update where he dates Janine and tells his stupid mom to gently caress off

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Outrail posted:

e: Please post some comments. There's got to be at least a few supportive idiots.
It's fresh so there's only one comment:

quote:

You're two months in? Way too soon for these kinds of demands.

Also, a relationship is two people and a lot of compromise. Back off the lists and find the person for you. Then work through the compromises.

I'm torn, however, on whether this is a troll post because it sounds like you want a mom or a personal assistant that fucks you and not an SO.

A good direction but not nearly harsh enough.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
The truth is the truth and it needs to be said that I’m going to not call you for the remainder of our lives together until that point when I shove you into the cheapest flea-ridden nursing home I can find and sell all your poo poo to fund my next vacation.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Compromise doesn't mean poo poo when everything is unreasonable to begin with.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mods please rename me to Frequent Handies

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

sometimes I think this next generation is gonna be alright :unsmith:

my (17m) mom (43f) made fun of my date (16f) for her appearance. I feel so bad for her and don't know how to make it better

I like this kid, I hope there's an update where he dates Janine and tells his stupid mom to gently caress off

Your mom just wants you to have cute grandbabies, that's all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i have really weird taste in dudes, and my mom teases me often about her hypothetical ugly grandbabies -- just, ya know, not in front of anyone i've ever dated

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Top models all got “distinguishing features” so having a half hot half uggo child is just good sense if youre aiming to have children who can show off the fall collection you make your other less photogenic children sow for you.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm ugly as hell and my daughter is gorgeous

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I'm ugly as hell and my daughter is gorgeous

Nobody asked you, Mr. President.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aramoro posted:

They seem to have missed 'Someone to call mum' off their list. Lol at the someone to make all their meals but also pay for everything when they're out as well.

drat, beat me to it.

Aside from all the other red flags, I was particularly disturbed by 'won't mind if I leave the door open when I drop a deuce'.

Like, if you live alone, do whatever the gently caress you want, but if someone else is in your living space close the loving door you disgusting baby man.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that's precious seconds wasted in a critical raid situation, you FOOL

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
"Her dad has a rule that when she goes out she has to drive because he thinks boys are idiots when they drive so she came to pick me up at my house. "

That's a drat-fine rule

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BloodRed posted:

"Her dad has a rule that when she goes out she has to drive because he thinks boys are idiots when they drive so she came to pick me up at my house. "

That's a drat-fine rule

I think I'll use that

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BloodRed posted:

That's a drat-fine rule

That girl's dad is super smart, but I'll probably extend that to a "never ride in a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend's car ever" rule when I have kids because most people are idiot drivers at any age, let alone as teenagers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BloodRed posted:

That's a drat-fine rule

Smart. Plus you can then decide what vehicle your kid is driving for additional safety features.

My parents never should have let me drive a car with bench seats.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I [26f] am not attracted to my husband [26m] anymore nor do I think I love him, but divorce is not an option.

quote:

So my husband and I have been married for a little over a year and just had our first kid. I’d say all my feeling come from the stress of having a newborn, but that’d be a lie.

Let me give you some background on my husband. He is great, he’s the kind of person that everyone loves to be friends with. No one hates this guy. He’s great with people and a good friend in general. His parents are pastors (the good kind that actually do not judge people and love everyone they encounter, they actually practice what they preach) and they raised him with amazing morals; however he was sheltered from anything related to sex.

I’m the first and only woman he has been with or done anything with. I’m the first girl he’s held hands with. So when it came to sex, he was very unfamiliar (his idea of porn was to google “boobs” and that was enough for him, just pictures) so our first issue was sex.

He never wanted to have sex because of his low wed drive, and when we do, he doesn’t want to touch me. Like we have zero foreplay for my enjoyment. He fingered me once and it was because he was drunk. So I don’t even like sex anymore.

Our second issue is electronics. This man is glued to his cell phone 24/7 and will blatantly ignore me and constantly makes me feel like his phone games are more important than me. And I’m the type of girl who doesn’t care if he plays games, heck, I play video games too, but all I ask from him is to also be present with me every once in a while.

So now you’re wondering why divorce is not an option. Plain and simple, I don’t believe in divorce and neither does he. So any comments about divorce are not helpful to my situation. When I need help with is how to improve our sex life, and how to get the point across to him that his son and I should be more important than games.

Thank your Reddit!

TL;DR Sex with my husband sucks and his phone seems more important than me, how so I fix these without resorting to divorce?

:btroll:"Help, I can't swim while holding on to this anchor!"

:crossarms:"Have you tried letting go of the anchor?"

:btroll:"NOT AN OPTION!"

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
also if she gets skeeved she can bail without begging for a ride or being stranded

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Doggles posted:

I [26f] am not attracted to my husband [26m] anymore nor do I think I love him, but divorce is not an option.

So, which does she believe in less, divorce or her husband? :haw:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Doggles posted:

quote:

Plain and simple, I don’t believe in divorce and neither does he.

You better start believing in broken relationships that end in divorce. You're in one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doggles posted:

If every single thing suggested isnt an elaborate ruse to have him divorce her its failed.

She should make him do No Phone Fridays were they dont use phones and instead discuss books they read togwther, starting with divorce laws in their state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
both of those issues sound like entirely fixable things with some time and good therapy.