Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Holy poo poo, Graeme Clifford directed that? I met that dude, really nice man and incredibly astute at tearing apart student films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Was Gary Busey not available?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was Gary Busey not available?

Ah poo poo.

I have been owned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video games are an odd spot where Jurassic Park has a lot of tie-in stuff it otherwise doesn't get. I even remember playing a supposed educational game at school where a robot's exploring the island trying not to get smashed by dinosaurs. (it was a trial-and-error platformer)

And of course, some of the games have been basically a Zoo Tycoon game with dinosaurs, where breakouts are a possibility.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jurassic Park is something you ought to be able to make a good game around easily, and the results have been underwhelming. Way back when they should have made something that looked and played a lot like Half Life that takes place during the first movie. Or they could go for a more survival horror type of game. It could be so easy but I think they gave up after Trespasser.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I sorta understand the idea of making a bigger and scarier dinosaur as a themepark attraction, but why on earth would you give something you expect people to spend large sums of money to see, the ability to turn invisible.

because the big I-rex was a ruse. It was basically a prototype for war dinos

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The early games all had Euro-gaming jank all over them but several were still pretty good despite that, but it is a shame that Trespasser killed it. I mean even Ocean got a few good Jurassic Park games out and they were legitimately known as a dogshit licensed game wunderkind like LJN.

But I think in general folks don't want to just own it. Like remember Turok: Dinosaur Hunter? They made a reboot game of that for the PS3 and 360 and it a game where....you play as a bald space marine and spend most of the game shooting other bald space marines. Like even something as simple as "it's an FPS with tons of dinosaurs" is elusive to the developers of today. :(

Activision put out an unofficial game called Jurassic: The Hunted a few years ago but it's pretty bad.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Are You Afraid of the Dark movie coming from Paramount

quote:

Paramount Players is moving forward with an adaptation of the classic Nickelodeon show “Are You Afraid of the Dark” as a feature film and set “It” scribe Gary Dauberman to write the script.

Matt Kaplan is producing along with Dauberman.

Paramount Players is a new division at Paramount Pictures that is led by Awesomeness founder Brian Robbins and focuses on contemporary talent and properties for young audiences while drawing upon the vast resources of the Viacom brands. Nickelodeon is one of those Viacom brands and is already developing a “Dora the Explorer” pic through Paramount Players with Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes producing.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-movie-paramount-players-1202614077/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Ryan Gosling is back.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This is gonna be like the latter Hellraiser sequels where they just take whatever old horror script they have sitting around and then add a scene of Canadian teenagers around a campfire telling stories to get that sweet franchise name recognition, isn't it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Better late than never.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

The early games all had Euro-gaming jank all over them but several were still pretty good despite that, but it is a shame that Trespasser killed it. I mean even Ocean got a few good Jurassic Park games out and they were legitimately known as a dogshit licensed game wunderkind like LJN.

But I think in general folks don't want to just own it. Like remember Turok: Dinosaur Hunter? They made a reboot game of that for the PS3 and 360 and it a game where....you play as a bald space marine and spend most of the game shooting other bald space marines. Like even something as simple as "it's an FPS with tons of dinosaurs" is elusive to the developers of today. :(

Activision put out an unofficial game called Jurassic: The Hunted a few years ago but it's pretty bad.

Probably the closest thing we've had since then was Lego Jurassic World.

They don't do regular tie-in video games anymore, which is probably just as well since they were almost exclusively garbage, but does mean we miss out on what might otherwise be fun ideas for games that don't involve bald space marines shooting each other.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I sincerely hope JW's work in trying to be friendly with raptors is just leading up to this;

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wondering what agebgroup Dora the Explorer movie is going to try to appeal too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Probably the closest thing we've had since then was Lego Jurassic World.

They don't do regular tie-in video games anymore, which is probably just as well since they were almost exclusively garbage, but does mean we miss out on what might otherwise be fun ideas for games that don't involve bald space marines shooting each other.

I liked the Telltale game for the first few episodes (as long as you're cool with the "gameplay" style) up until they switched writers, after which it got real dumb. A side-quel was a great idea, especially one focusing on Dr. Harding. Execution wavered.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why didn't we get the original idea for Jurassic World with the dinosaurs trained to use weapons like that picture from Dino Riders?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember the Jurassic park Genesis game had a sequel that I remember being pretty good, but I was also 14. It was a platformer and you could play as a raptor.

feedmyleg posted:

I liked the Telltale game for the first few episodes (as long as you're cool with the "gameplay" style) up until they switched writers, after which it got real dumb. A side-quel was a great idea, especially one focusing on Dr. Harding. Execution wavered.

I played that game at PAX back when it was new and could never get into it. I've been able to enjoy newer efforts from them I've considered going back and giving it another try, then I remember how I bought the Back to The Future game earlier this year and it didn't inspire me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wondering what agebgroup Dora the Explorer movie is going to try to appeal too.

I'm guessing "teens who grew up on the show when they were toddlers and outgrew it but still has nostalgia for it somehow". Kinda like that Fairly Oddparents live action movie that had a 23 year old Timmy Turner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rirse posted:

Why didn't we get the original idea for Jurassic World with the dinosaurs trained to use weapons like that picture from Dino Riders?
During the long period between JP3 and JW there was some idea of doing ‘dinosaurs as weapons’ which kinda made it into JW. But in this case the concept art had them as like weird human-Dino hybrids with guns. I can’t imagine that idea went far.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Isle of Dr Malcom

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They should put that CGI Tarkin tech to use and give us Bela Lugosi as a human-dinosaur hybrid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FlamingLiberal posted:

During the long period between JP3 and JW there was some idea of doing ‘dinosaurs as weapons’ which kinda made it into JW. But in this case the concept art had them as like weird human-Dino hybrids with guns. I can’t imagine that idea went far.

I mean all that poo poo about the mystery DNA in the Verizon Wireless Presents The Indominus Rex really felt like they were leading to it being human DNA, and just did a last minute replace on it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The original movie was basically teasing the idea that finally came to fruition in Jurassic World of a functioning theme park with living dinosaurs, all the more higher stakes for the dinosaurs to get loose in. (though the payoff really wasn't that different in the end)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

K. Waste posted:

They should put that CGI Tarkin tech to use and give us Bela Lugosi as a human-dinosaur hybrid.

InGen attempts to create human clones of long dead actors for PR purposes, before they can perfect the technology immperfect dinosaur mutant clones escape and terrorize the public. Chris Pratt warily touches a cryogenic tube with a mutated Chris Prattosaur in disgusted shock, before getting ambushed by a Hammondactyl screaming "let me die!"

The scene ends before he can be shown escaping, and for the rest of the film all of his scenes feature a strange, one might say uncanny Chris Pratt

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 27, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The MSJ posted:

. Kinda like that Fairly Oddparents live action movie that had a 23 year old Timmy Turner.
You mean Fairly Oddparents live action trilogy including an Xmas movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Its actually a tryptich and requires three monitors to view as intended.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tars Tarkas posted:

How the gently caress
Wasn't the plot of the movie about Timmy being an arrested development manchild and how he had to give his godparents up or die? How do you move on from that

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neurolimal posted:

InGen attempts to create human clones of long dead actors for PR purposes, before they can perfect the technology immperfect dinosaur mutant clones escape and terrorize the public. Chris Pratt warily touches a cryogenic tube with a mutated Chris Prattosaur in disgusted shock, before getting ambushed by a Hammondactyl screaming "let me die!"

The scene ends before he can be shown escaping, and for the rest of the film all of his scenes feature a strange, one might say uncanny Chris Pratt

At some point during the climax, some character sacrifices themselves for the good of the rest and is left for dead.

Mid-credit scene reveals that the character didn't die, but is holed up somewhere in the compound, petty weapon in hand, terrified because there's a super-intelligent dino-hybrid about to come through the door. The door opens, we zoom in on the character, now no longer horrified, but shocked. With what little life he has left, he asks simply, "...How?"

Camera traces up the figure, from feet to head, slowly revealing the face of Richard Attenborough, who answers, "Life finds a way." Smash cut to credit roll.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Meh

https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/934151337419317248

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It never stopped being 1997 for Todd McFarlane, did it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are superhero movies. And then there are cape flicks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That's really sad. He can't even figure out how to do a screencap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

He's so convinced that his Spawn film will be the next breakout hit, it's gonna wreck him when it flops (if it ever gets made). :smith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If they set it in 1995 and get a soundtrack on par with The Crow it will clean up. Like just own it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

If they set it in 1995 and get a soundtrack on par with The Crow it will clean up. Like just own it.

Present-day Spawn uses his powers to time travel into the 90s to prevent something extreme from happening, hilarity ensues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TetsuoTW posted:

I honestly wish it never stopped being 1996 so I could still drink OK Soda.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I sincerely hope JW's work in trying to be friendly with raptors is just leading up to this;

It's been done, just not with Jurassic Park...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

is this even the best he could even show off

because if so... yikes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Lifetime present Todd McFarlane's Spawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That idea actually got as far as a second-draft script written by I think William Monahan and John Sayles; the dino hybrids were used for things like law enforcement. I remember reading a review of it on AICN ages ago.

• Locked thread