Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Ah so it's just like the professional sports fandom, where none of the fans are in shape or actually play and their shows are mostly talking heads discussing stats and trades with little if any actual gameplay footage because it's really just an excuse to belong to a tribe and socialize.

I love you wonderful nerds. Y'all are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alaois posted:

i saw the pre-release footage from this year's draft and I don't know if there are any quarterbacks that are worth it for any team to pre-order.

Pft, it's all pre-rendered trailers anyway. You think the Super Bowl'll actually look like that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The opening cutscene for the NBA season this year had a really bad graphics glitch with Gordon Hayward

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

The opening cutscene for the NBA season this year had a really bad graphics glitch with Gordon Hayward

they had to patch him out after that

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I've known one sports guy who's identity became a Yankee fan to the level that a Whovian or whatever would be. Like this dude and I were driving around and got behind a car with a Red Sox sticker and he just flipped mid-conversation to talking about what an rear end in a top hat idiot this guy was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guy Mann posted:

Ah so it's just like the professional sports fandom, where none of the fans are in shape or actually play and their shows are mostly talking heads discussing stats and trades with little if any actual gameplay footage because it's really just an excuse to belong to a tribe and socialize.

Jesus Christ you're so dense you'll probably undergo gravitational collapse during dinner this Thanksgiving.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I figured it out. It's social. You're not into Harry Potter, you're into being into Harry Potter. Because being into Harry Potter is something that enough people do that they form a community of practice, which raises that practice (being into Harry Potter) into something far more significant than if you're just reading the books for yourself. It becomes an identity for the group instead of an individual activity, and if you join that group, congratulations, it's your identity too. So now being into Harry Potter is something that you strengthen in order to define yourself, and then you're putting the Sorting Hat on Aunt Linda so she can be in the right House for the reception.

+1 insightful

That was where I was going with BBT, it's an otherwise unremarkable sitcom about "young people these days" dressed up in pop culture/brands. It's looking to trade on that identifying urge. Compare and contrast with the British IT Crowd where the pop culture references are mostly set-dressing and the really nerdy approach to life is the plot and the contrast with otherwise "normal" people.

Deformed Church posted:

I think weddings are about the bridge and groom but not necessarily for them. Like, if something's important to you it's fair game to include it however weird and nerdy it is, but if you've got all your family and friends joining in it's disrespectful to turn it into something they don't understand or enjoy and therefore can't participate in. It's selfish.

Weddings are that classic occasion where you really do make some kind of statement to your circle, unfortunately here the statement is "you get to play Star Wars because we like to play Star Wars". It isn't just the labels, nor the selfishness, it's the degree of planning and detail that goes into that which is the freaky thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea like it or not to a lot of people your wedding sets a tone. If the tone is 'we're in love, also we're dorks!' that's great, A+, everyone's happy and only a real grump would whine about that. If the tone is 'we define our entire lives both apart and together with what we consume' then yea there's gonna be people going 'this is stupid why are you doing this'.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Youth Decay posted:

Does anyone remember the Zelda wedding thread from ages and ages ago? That was my introduction to cringey weddings.

https://imgur.com/kwcWo6n

The elf dude mugging at the camera looks exactly like me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm sure people have had Star Wars themed weddings that didn't suck, like just inviting a bunch of close friends to watch the films and then pausing it during one of the Han and Leia scenes for someone to officiate. Same with other nerd poo poo.

But since those people aren't claiming to be cool and offbeat on the internet, we atrocity tourists don't care about them.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 22, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If somebody had a really tacky sports wedding, like the groom gave Lou Gehrig’s farewell speech at the altar and the officiant dressed up as George Steinbrenner and all the guests had to wear pinstripes or some poo poo, I would totally submit that as a document.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alaois posted:

i saw the pre-release footage from this year's draft and I don't know if there are any quarterbacks that are worth it for any team to pre-order.

You gotta wait until the Season Pass DLC has been announced, just get everyone

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Here's something about Offbeat Bride that's not nerds grumping about other nerds: What the gently caress is up with their titles? They sound like half of them are written by SEO robots and half by clickbait article writers.

Here's the titles from the doc:
  • Cait and Matt’s nerdy art deco and TARDIS blue wedding
  • Jenni & Shaun’s modern art museum spiral aisle wedding
  • A Pagan Pokemon party with Annette & Matt
  • Ashley & Jake’s steampunk adventure trolley wedding
  • Mass Effect meets Star Trek at this theatrical science wedding
  • Dramatically gorgeous dark fairy wedding
  • Diana & Shannon’s steampunk zoo sci-fi wedding
  • Kristina & Matthew’s steampunk and science bookish wedding
  • When Star Wars and Back to the Future met for Rachel & Matthew’s wedding
  • Heather & Bobby's Lord of the Rings meets Game of Thrones fantasy wedding
  • Nuri & Victor's Lovecraftian destination wedding in Cyprus
  • Raise your lightsaber for Jennifer & Alex's Star Wars Extended Universe wedding
  • Maddy & Jacob's garden and arcade geeky wedding
  • Zombies, Vikings, and a hawk: Shelley & Eric know funny weddings
  • The venue disaster turned miracle: Julie & Chris’ rebooked dinosaur NYC wedding
  • It’s all magical fairy lights and love at Dawn & Shannon’s pagan wedding
  • Diana & Dale’s horror movies meets zoo wedding
  • Zeva & Andrew’s nerdy costume love adventure wedding
  • Lisa & Adam’s Southern gothic nerdy wedding
  • Danielle & Russell’s “NormPod Wedding Experience” all around San Francisco

nerdy costume love adventure is my favorite anime of fall 2017

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A normpod is like, Radiolab

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

"Lord of the Rings meets Game of Thrones fantasy wedding"

pff we had a cyberpunk lord of the rings meets game of the thrones wedding :smug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

I think weddings are about the bridge and groom

Bridges ain't poo poo but cables and bricks
Trusses and struts spread out across pits
Get the trucks across, every last one
Pickups and flatbeds, full or half ton

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

omnibobb posted:

I'm the pink backpack

No seriously did the kid just come from school or something and didn't have time to change into a silly costume?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

[deep breath] those aren't elves those are kokiri and further,

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

omnibobb posted:

I'm the dinky prop glaive in the foreground

also I'm pretty sure every internet person looks exactly like that dude

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This episode was physically painful to listen to, especially at work when I can't yell "gently caress YOU" at a particularly rough patch.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
shame nobody posted the new Extra Credit yet, it's primo crazy person

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective

It's interesting that I don't remember recording this. Weird hearing myself out of nowhere.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
This week on The F Plus: Game FAQs!

noether
May 1, 2017

finding out that gamefaqs has a sex and sexuality section ruined my weekend. thanks, f plus~!

also, are a bunch of the folks on extra credit trans? that's super cool if so :D

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
hey baby, why don't you tug on my Skinner box for a while

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

noether posted:

finding out that gamefaqs has a sex and sexuality section ruined my weekend. thanks, f plus~!

also, are a bunch of the folks on extra credit trans? that's super cool if so :D

there's at least a majority, it's crazy

noether
May 1, 2017

rumble in the bunghole posted:

it's awesome!
I love running into other transfolk when I'm not expecting it. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :cheeky:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Welp, I should actually listen to extra credit, goodbye cishets of the fplus. Call me when you get into frotting.

noether
May 1, 2017

fellas, is it gay if I only want to consume media from other trans women :gay:

noether fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 27, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

noether posted:

fellas, is it gay if I only want to consume media from other trans women :gay:

I try to do that only with trans women or cis-lesbians.

Christine Love is basically the best writer in video games and its a drat shame that no one seems to care for her work outside of a small subset of steam users.

Please look forward to my 10 page essay on why Ladykiller in a Bind is basically the greatest VN ever made and will never be topped until "Heaven Will Be Mine" comes out this next year.

jimmyfranks
Oct 2, 2014
A MESSAGE FROM YOUR OLD PAL JIMMYFRANKS

New Butt Order posted:

I didn't realize how badly I needed this podcast in my life until y'all started making it. Keep em coming
Because I don't like being told what to do, you can blame New Butt Order for the lag in new Song Crimes episodes. Plus I was so busy rocking out in BonJovember that I didn't have time to edit. However, my attorneys have informed me that we have to release at least 2 episodes of Song Crimes a month, so we will be switching to bi-weekly releases.

New Episode incoming, that is all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I should try to get in on that, tip the scales even harder.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

T-man posted:

Welp, I should actually listen to extra credit, goodbye cishets of the fplus. Call me when you get into frotting.

https://thefpl.us/episode/33

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

noether posted:

Oh yeah. At last count I'm the only straight dude.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't need this ASMR experience about asari birth canals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't need this ASMR experience about asari birth canals.

coward

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Good ep, though if this is what's on the main site I can't imagine how awful their offsite is.

T-man posted:

goodbye cishets of the fplus

This episode does have a lot of one of the weirdly resilient bits of PoE shittiness where if a dude nerd is bisexual he's actually just jailhouse gay and is only into guys because he's too big of a loser to get a girlfriend.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
what the gently caress is "jailhouse gay"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, they were laughing at all that due to the leaps the dudes were making to assert that they totally weren't gay bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RyokoTK posted:

what the gently caress is "jailhouse gay"

It's pretty much this.