Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I still have my SICK MODDED NERF MAVERICK, and somewhere that .gif of the big dude with the ponytail spinning in place with them on his bed from the "Dancing in your underwear" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I've actually been making an effort here. Please click on the question mark under my av and see for yourself.

Yeah I did that and I see that you've provided 3 pages of posts by yourself in a 14 page thread. Seriously just stop posting.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eonwe posted:

I think stuff like that is funny and wish it'd come back. Its kinda lighthearted and some funny stuff could legitimately come out of the thread.

Honestly the forums tone right now is pretty good. The politics bullshit is safely silo'd away, and you're seeing the resurgence of fun or at least good-natured threads like the CRABS thread, robocop thread, sex jokes threads, etc.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Yeah I did that and I see that you've provided 3 pages of posts by yourself in a 14 page thread. Seriously just stop posting.

First its not enough effort now your telling him its too much effort. Poor ox bollocks really can't catch a break.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

DrPlump posted:

First its not enough effort now your telling him its too much effort. Poor ox bollocks really can't catch a break.

I am not frankly surprised to see white knghting in GBS.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are also some good threads, like the Ask a game dev thread on games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834228

So yeah, maybe it is getting a bit better

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Bhurak posted:

From mid 2008 or so I recall a thread where posters were buying plastic army men and dinosaurs and sticking magnets to them. They would then leave them stuck to the stall walls in public shitter, come back a couple days later and photograph the results.
That thread showed me just how much of a joyless soul - less human being my ex wife was as she thought it was stupid. :sever:

Those sorts of threads stopped when GBS became current events and right-think and so I fled to the subforums to make an rear end of myself there.

Not all of it disappeared. We still have the Christmas album. Maybe I'll go buy some dinosaurs...

The "Why is this flyer pink?" Thread was the origin of :iiam: if I recall correctly.

That was a fun little light-hearted prank thread.

As was the Geno Invasion of Habbo Hotel

*whistful sigh* You can't go home again.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

How did this get here I am not good at computers

<two page Happycat.jpg>

poo poo, remember when Fiestacat was bannable?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I used to be somewhat of a YCS regular back during the original incarnation of the subforum, which is where my username comes from. Got it in a namechange thread that I want to say Fragmaster ran.
I enjoyed the heck out of YCS when I joined on my original account. It was the only forum I actually felt comfortable posting in and stating my opinion without worrying any retribution (even though it was just for games). The Games forum was a cesspool of manchild melt-downs and mega-threads, it was totally insufferable, and had autistic rules over it. YCS was was a lot of fun until the mentioned anime and 1000 shmup threads, and then the idiots spamming racial slurs getting it shut down.

GBS at the time I joined (2007) was still care-posting central, where if you simply didn't agree with something, or even the OP, you were practically opening yourself to a ban or a probation, or maybe a Hell Dump inquisition. I distinctly remember writing out posts a bunch of times, and then X-ing out the window because I knew it would get me in trouble and I paid hard-earned money for that account. I read GBS all the time, but there was a gap of years where I barely posted in it because of how toxic the posters were with their faux moral values and legos and transformer toys. If you weren't part of the weird cult-like hivemind it was immediately apparent how strange and strict it was, and I think it's hilarious that some people miss being a part of that hivemind. Modern options are plenty, especially the very popular ones. Reddit covers practically everything that GBS gave, hivemind included depending on the sub, even though their thread system is retarded. For those that need more brainwashing, Tumblr is still around.

As a side, Hell Dump was loving weird. The entire concept was weird. The fact that it was encouraged was weird, even up to harassing people at work and home because of their opinions online. It was like "wink, wink, nudge, nudge," and it kept happening because some of the addicts were communicating privately or off-forums. Goons back then were part of the nerdy, shut-in internet, not the "everyone's internet" we have now. Forums and messageboards were not the grounds for regular people the way reddit is now. Many forums posters were in a very awkward stage of their life, or were simply awkward people themselves. I remember seeing the power trips the HD regulars were getting off of their virtuous moral brigades against "he said she said" bullshit, possibly the first time in their lives they had an upperhand in anything. It was simply loving weird and a lot of scary that those dudes could (often theoretically) get people fired from jobs or make their families miserable over SA posts. The irony being that the HD guys were no different than the poo poo posters they were hunting.

Bhurak posted:

From mid 2008 or so I recall a thread where posters were buying plastic army men and dinosaurs and sticking magnets to them. They would then leave them stuck to the stall walls in public shitter, come back a couple days later and photograph the results.
That thread showed me just how much of a joyless soul - less human being my ex wife was as she thought it was stupid. :sever:

Those sorts of threads stopped when GBS became current events and right-think and so I fled to the subforums to make an rear end of myself there.

Not all of it disappeared. We still have the Christmas album. Maybe I'll go buy some dinosaurs...
I remember that thread. I showed my GF at the time. She asked why would I or anyone else want to do that? I said it looked fun. "You want to go buy toys and make fake battles with them in public?" I was in my twenties. She was right, it was stupid, and she saved me from making an rear end of myself.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 27, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bajaj posted:

The irony being that the HD guys were no different than the poo poo posters they were hunting.

This is why I didn't venture far into Helldump. It looked like a bunch of people projecting their own miserable lives onto others. :v:

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I remember Dan Lacey making Faithmouse webcomics in 2006 era that were complete Christian right-wing fantasy about a devout mouse facing off against the sins of the liberal world, and were heavily mocked in D&D. Then the comics took a surrealist psychosexual turn and Dan himself started posting in the thread, turning from an obtuse pundit in to a very chill dude. Now he paints famous people with pancakes, sometimes naked.

led to

led to

Truth is always stranger than fiction

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
As a personal piece of history, I credit SA with saving my soul. It probably did the opposite for others but it worked for me.

When I was younger I was unhappy and depressed. I was a total Elliot Rogers sad sack and had life turned out differently I probably would have gone full MRA/Red Pill. SA was an environment where stupidity was called out and not tolerated. I met a lot of good people and eventually I got my head out of my rear end enough to learn it was me who put it there in the first place. I won't say I am a super cool well adjusted guy but I think not being a bitter misogynist is a great turnout.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

eonwe posted:

You may have been in this thread, I've only read the last couple pages, but I'll take your word for it! Just commenting what I've seen in other threads

thanks bud, I'll try to do better for you all, not that im promising

I think they're trying, they just make tweet like posts that have short opinions but don't go charles dickens on everyone sorta like what you do too. You've the luxury of being well loved so when you you post a one liner opinion its seen as cool, but when oxballs does it, it seems like shitposting (because they post in all the things ever). You know yourself that it doesn't require chapters to be an effort post. I know its not the gibbis way, but lets all be chill and nice and only import drama if its really cool retro drama.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Heffer posted:

Truth is always stranger than fiction

Mark Twain once remarked "Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction is obliged to stick to probabilities. Truth ain't". As a person with a past that is difficult for most people to believe really happened I quite agree with that sentiment.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Whatever happened to the Roman Timecube guy.

I'm not googling the correct things apparently since I can't find any trace of it but it counts as SA history since we lured him here at least twice over the years to defend why his $5,000+ box of water was proven by ancient roman engineering. It might have been because Something Awful was literally the only place that gave him any attention.

I can't even remember if the teledildonics stuff was us making fun of him or if he actually thought that was a selling point of his product.

For anyone that doesn't know the extremely abbreviated version is that some guy saw this

And read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

quote:

No mention of them has been found in contemporary accounts or pictures of the time. Speculated uses include candlestick holders (wax was found inside two examples); dice; survey instruments for estimating distances to (or sizes of) distant objects;[2] devices for determining the optimal sowing date for winter grain;[3] gauges to calibrate water pipes or army standard bases. Use as a measuring instrument of any kind seems improbable since the dodacahedrons were not standardised and come in many sizes and arrangements of their openings. It has also been suggested that they may have been religious artifacts, or even fortune telling devices.

And solved the ancient mystery with his intellect. Roman Dodecahedrons were obviously extremely sophisticated 3D modeling tools that were combined with water to form extremely accurate measurements of the most optimal stones to hurl at people in Roman era warfare based on how they displaced water. It just so happens he recreated this millennia old innovation in a $5000 box of water that you stick things into and then get the worlds most perfect measurement somehow.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Testikles posted:

As a personal piece of history, I credit SA with saving my soul. It probably did the opposite for others but it worked for me.

When I was younger I was unhappy and depressed. I was a total Elliot Rogers sad sack and had life turned out differently I probably would have gone full MRA/Red Pill. SA was an environment where stupidity was called out and not tolerated. I met a lot of good people and eventually I got my head out of my rear end enough to learn it was me who put it there in the first place. I won't say I am a super cool well adjusted guy but I think not being a bitter misogynist is a great turnout.

Speaking of MRA/Red Pill type things and SA. A guy I used to buy and smoke weed with started reciting word for word "The Door". I'd never heard it in full but saw it written as a callback in a WTF D&D thing and proceeded to call him a beta skeleton until he shut the gently caress up about that stuff. Dropped out of contact with with that guy but keep in a low orbit of him near his cooler friends because he also mentioned how he'd "hilariously" make malicious phone calls to women and I told him I'd be keeping an eye on that dumb poo poo from now on. Stupid jokes save lives, or at least sanity.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Big John's Goony Beef Jerkey!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wit posted:

Speaking of MRA/Red Pill type things and SA. A guy I used to buy and smoke weed with started reciting word for word "The Door". I'd never heard it in full but saw it written as a callback in a WTF D&D thing and proceeded to call him a beta skeleton until he shut the gently caress up about that stuff. Dropped out of contact with with that guy but keep in a low orbit of him near his cooler friends because he also mentioned how he'd "hilariously" make malicious phone calls to women and I told him I'd be keeping an eye on that dumb poo poo from now on. Stupid jokes save lives, or at least sanity.

Yes, the freakshow side of classic SA is balanced out by the educational value, IMO. Being able to recognize things like that before they hit the mainstream is actually quite valuable.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

wit posted:

Stronger, but so so much weaker.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Waffle House posted:

Big John's Goony Beef Jerkey!

I bought candy from an SA Mart goon once, it was awesome. How was the beef jerkey

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

wit posted:

I remember I was complaining about my inability to get laid to a female friend and she said I should meet up with these cool guys she knows. They call themselves Pickup Artists and they have all these secret tricks etc. I had already heard about it on SA and I told her hell no.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

eonwe posted:

I bought candy from an SA Mart goon once, it was awesome. How was the beef jerkey

Long time ago but it was good stuff. SA Mart was a good idea imo

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Waffle House posted:

Long time ago but it was good stuff. SA Mart was a good idea imo

I'm consistently amazed at how few scams and ripoffs there are, considering it's mostly a good-faith based arrangement.

The only time I ever got burned was when I bought a Dreamcast with "assortment of games" and the games were just a bunch of burned CDs.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm consistently amazed at how few scams and ripoffs there are, considering it's mostly a good-faith based arrangement.

The only time I ever got burned was when I bought a Dreamcast with "assortment of games" and the games were just a bunch of burned CDs.

Unsurprisingly it is a lot of electronics and videogames, but it still gets me that people have built cottage enterprises in there.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
There was some delicious beef jerky some goon other than John was selling and man, it was the best. It's a shame they went out of business because I genuinely miss their Sriracha stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bajaj posted:

GBS at the time I joined (2007) was still care-posting central, where if you simply didn't agree with something, or even the OP, you were practically opening yourself to a ban or a probation, or maybe a Hell Dump inquisition. I distinctly remember writing out posts a bunch of times, and then X-ing out the window because I knew it would get me in trouble and I paid hard-earned money for that account. I read GBS all the time, but there was a gap of years where I barely posted in it because of how toxic the posters were with their faux moral values and legos and transformer toys. If you weren't part of the weird cult-like hivemind it was immediately apparent how strange and strict it was, and I think it's hilarious that some people miss being a part of that hivemind. Modern options are plenty, especially the very popular ones. Reddit covers practically everything that GBS gave, hivemind included depending on the sub, even though their thread system is retarded. For those that need more brainwashing, Tumblr is still around.

It's weird how different people have different interpretations of how the place was back then. I never felt that the old care-GBS was bad at all, just different. I dunno maybe I'm not as invested in posting as a lot of people but the whole drama waves that washed over GBS in the last 7~ or so years seems to have escaped me. Most people talk about the old GBS as being a garbage fire so I don't doubt it, just something I never saw first hand.

Testikles posted:

Part of the reason why I roll my eyes so often these days at a lot of people (and how the choose to portray themselves on the internet) is that it reminds me of myself when I was in highschool/early college. Libertarian garbage, misogyny and homophobia all hit real close to home to myself about 17 or so years ago.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Spinster posted:

Stronger, but so so much weaker.

I don't understand this post.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Let's get nostalgic, I've had a great time here since joining originally; before the paywall, when some friends showed me a kid that photographed himself wearing his trunks in a tub taking a Pepsi bath.
I was banned after the paywall, after my first post - because someone in FYAD accused me of being a re-reg of an account named thisisnotmenam when my account was thisismynicknam. I waited a bit to pay and register again but I've happily gotten to keep this account around since then. I have archived a large amount of this site's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8flLpb3zXA

Want some pictures? 'Course ya do.

Here's when goons invaded the Coca Cola Dating Game:

Goons in large numbers were a funny, powerful force.

Pink Flyers were a very good harmless prank that I wish took off further.

Robot faux-tests on campus:

Secretly protesting Fred Phelps:

Stormtroopers vs. Nazis:

Here are some names that immediately bring me some weird memories:

Futhman: Pretty sure these pics were from when a goon filled an apple with ground beef.

Mayor Wilkins: Not covered in his SAcyclopedia entry, but he had gotten one of the last interviews with Mitch Hedberg before his death.
Here's the interview, for those whom haven't heard it.

Scoots Magoo: Man, was this kid wacky!

Hakan: Some of my favorite things have ever been tricked into reading.

Space Mountain: Some of the best Photoshop skills when it came to prompts and making outright amazing art. Same goes for Tuna Sled, but Everdraed always had the best animations.

Martin Random: Second-favorite things to read, knowing full well that I could never trust their authenticity. They always had that weird tinge of being plausible-yet-insane how they were written.

XJAKK: I don't know what to say about this guy that this image doesn't.

Also, gooncamp was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKc7DreKKkM

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 27, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Video Nasty posted:

Pink Flyers were a very good harmless prank that I wish took off further.

I actually laughed out loud with this one. Ty for your post.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

wit posted:

I don't understand this post.

Men

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'm hella late but because people kept bringing it up: afaik exactly zero money was given to KM, or at least that's what she said and no one came forward saying that they did (it also makes sense because the patreon thing was up for all of like 1 day or something? not sure cause I actually just skimmed it after someone linked back then).

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Prester Jane posted:

One thing I would be really interested in hearing is how younger posters experience both SA and the Internet. Like how exactly does someone in their mid teens or mid 20's view this website? Whats it like hanging out with the Internet version of old curmudgeons? The idea of Internet oldsters still feels wild to me because outside of like obscure Usenet groups there really were no old people on the Internet during my own formative years. So I find the idea of a young person experiencing a long established multi-generation online community is really interesting to me because it is so outside of my own experiences. When I was coming up people like me (early adopters who were interested in dealing with the drudgery of managing a community) were basically the closest thing to mature (lol) adults in online communities. An effort post from a younger poster about their experiences would be a wonderful addition to this thread IMO.

I made this account with my dad’s debit card (and permission) when I was 12 and have lurked off and on through the years (I’m 26 now). This forum just seemed really insular and unforgiving, which scared me away from ever engaging with it (maybe a good thing because at that age I would have been even more clueless/annoying than I am now).

Maybe sounds embarrassing but nowadays “did you ever frequent SA” is something like a litmus test for when I meet new nerd friends to see how steeped they were in internet culture around the early ‘00s.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

warez posted:

Maybe sounds embarrassing but nowadays “did you ever frequent SA” is something like a litmus test for when I meet new nerd friends to see how steeped they were in internet culture around the early ‘00s.
I recommend SA to people all the time, because I know tons of people who are getting sick of social media and Reddit and poo poo.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I remember when misuse of spoiler tags was probateable.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Would it be possible to have it so the chuds get banished to a sub forum, I suggest d&d, like we did to the furries in sa antiquity?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I recommend SA to people all the time, because I know tons of people who are getting sick of social media and Reddit and poo poo.

I have recommended it to a few people who have joined, I just think SA requires a certain sense of humor that a lot of people don't get

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

more 2006 gbs zeitgeist:

honestly I'm surprised at how SA has remained mostly unchanged in a decade. threads are still gassed, thread votes are still measured in gold bars, even little things like :iceburn: and :synpa: still make sense

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

goons who poo poo nonstop on other subforums, whether its D&D or TCC or GiP, all need to be permabanned and sent back to the offsites where they belong

a lot of the posts about how D&D is full of fagl0rds or whatever are indistinguishable from something sensitive posts.

hell, it's probably the same posters :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

the black husserl posted:

goons who poo poo nonstop on other subforums, whether its D&D or TCC or GiP, all need to be permabanned and sent back to the offsites where they belong

a lot of the posts about how D&D is full of fagl0rds or whatever are indistinguishable from something sensitive posts.

hell, it's probably the same posters :)

SA Expats with a grudge will always be great comedy, also are whales for Lowtax's bank account.

• Locked thread