Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What good came out in 2017?

Just curious, I don't play videogames as much anymore since most of them bore the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

I just got the remastered Uncharted series and have played through most of the first one and holy poo poo is it a bad start to a franchise. Boring gunplay and enemy spawns that make old Farcry look cutting edge. I know that the first uncharted isn't looked upon as fondly as later ones but this is bad. You can see the bones of The Last of Us in the mess though, so at least there's something.

Yeah it almost plays like a 10 year old game or something :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dont even fink about it posted:

Spec Ops' gameplay is Gears of War with downs and the game tries to moralize on you for playing it. It's a really stupid loving game.

you are not a bad person

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zzulu posted:

What good came out in 2017?

Just curious, I don't play videogames as much anymore since most of them bore the poo poo out of me

Just off the top of my head:

XCOM 2 expansion
Divinity Original Sin 2
Shadow of War
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda
Nier Automata
Prey
Tekken 7
Total War: Warhammer 2
Grim Dawn Expansion
Destiny 2
Wolfenstein 2
Assassins Creed Origins

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Uncharted's gameplay was second-rate even in 2007, it was severely overhyped.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

veni veni veni posted:

I get that. Its a surprise to me because it was rolled out as a franchise selling game. Compared to halo or resident evil 4, or other shooters of the same-ish time period it's just so bland. It feels like a really unfinished tech demo or something.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Uncharted is all the Prince of Persia platforming you love along with all the gunplay you never wanted.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

*kills hundreds of generic bad guys*

"I can't have your death on my conscience"

There are no stakes. It's the most videogame videogame ever.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

new phone who dis posted:

Uncharted is all the Prince of Persia platforming you love along with all the gunplay you never wanted.

Totally. And the characters in Uncharted are mostly unlikable. Uncharted 1 isn't a victim of its age, it's just a very poor game and would have been poor if it came out in 2000 and not 2007.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncharted wasn't hyped for it's gunplay. Although it's better in the second game and really good in 3/4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oscar Wild posted:

end scene: haha, we sure had some hijinks didn't we? clink beers, wink, laugh, roll credits

credits: you murdered 1,530 human beings

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Uncharted wasn't hyped for it's gunplay. Although it's better in the second game and really good in 3/4

I'm sorry also if people thought Uncharted was the first ever game with ziplines and climbing.

sebmojo posted:

end scene: haha, we sure had some hijinks didn't we? clink beers, wink, laugh, roll credits

credits: you murdered 1,530 human beings

Uncharted presumes that you agree that killing loads of nameless dudes is a central video game conceit, which it pretty much is.

And yes the later ones are much better because they start getting into good level design and doing more with their idea of off-brand Indiana Jones movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sorry also if people thought Uncharted was the first ever game with ziplines and climbing.

It was hyped for it's graphics. which were really good at the time, and it's story which isn't amazing, but stories in games were especially dog poo poo terrible around the time UC1 came out.

The first one hasn't aged as gracefully as the sequels but it was a pretty solid game for it's time.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Drakengard 3 is one of the greatest games of all time because it's gameplay dovetails with its themes and story so well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

NiGHTs is hot garbage and I have no idea how it became beloved.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

It was hyped for it's graphics. which were really good at the time, and it's story which isn't amazing, but stories in games were especially dog poo poo terrible around the time UC1 came out.

The first one hasn't aged as gracefully as the sequels but it was a pretty solid game for it's time.

Yeah I enjoyed Uncharted 1 on my first play through (played it first) but the sequels blew it away, and I’m sure I’d find it a slog if I ever replayed it.

I can’t criticize the Uncharted games for their story. The story never seemed to take itself seriously, and I think that’s part of its charm. The genocide levels of killing you do add some absurdist qualities to Drake too.

Speaking of Drake, I really liked his character in the first three games but started finding him annoying in the 4th. I think that’s in part because they tried to turn the story into a more serious direction in that one and Drake’s happy go lucky attitude rife with one-liners just didn’t mesh with me (I have mixed feelings with that direction change too, I respect they needed to shake things up but part of Uncharted’s charm was its contrast with grimdark stuff that you get a dime a dozen these days).

Opinion: Sonic Mania is great on its first play through but quickly becomes a slog to play any more afterwards. Also the special stages look nice but are kind of annoying and I have no desire to play through it to get the emeralds.

I think Mania’s primary appeal is discovering the remixes to older levels and Easter eggs, providing the player with a healthy dose of excitement to see what comes next. Once that’s gone the game is still a good 2-D Sonic game, but it doesn’t have much replay value.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

XCOM 2 expansion
Divinity Original Sin 2
Shadow of War
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda
Nier Automata
Prey
Tekken 7
Grim Dawn Expansion
Destiny 2
Wolfenstein 2
Assassins Creed Origins

I mean, looking at the list doesn't really wow me as a lineup, but then I'm not really sure how well other years stack up. I guess part of it is how broken up that list is between platforms, but on PC that's like 4 good standalone games max.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

He forgot Cuphead which is amazing. It's like the Dark Souls of video games.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

XCOM 2 expansion
Divinity Original Sin 2
Shadow of War
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda
Nier Automata
Prey
Tekken 7
Grim Dawn Expansion
Destiny 2
Wolfenstein 2
Assassins Creed Origins

lol at any good games list that contains Destiny 2. It's loving poo poo.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Jeza posted:

I mean, looking at the list doesn't really wow me as a lineup, but then I'm not really sure how well other years stack up. I guess part of it is how broken up that list is between platforms, but on PC that's like 4 good standalone games max.

Are you talking exclusive or standalone because almost all of those games are on PC.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Last of Us actually secretly had the best and most intense multiplayer of any game of last generation. The single player was the main product but the multiplayer is absolutely awesome and intense game of cat and mouse and nobody cares much about it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Are you talking exclusive or standalone because almost all of those games are on PC.

I guess I was thinking mostly of Zelda and Horizon. I don't know anybody who buys games like Tekken on PC, and games like Nioh/Nier/Assassin's Creed are just filed under console for me. Total War, Prey and Divinity look like the only good full game PC titles all year on that list. I'd probably add Hollow Knight and Cuphead, but it still seems a pretty barren year to me.

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge those ports, but generally I just find them lacklustre and don't even check them out.

e:

Caesar Saladin posted:

The Last of Us actually secretly had the best and most intense multiplayer of any game of last generation. The single player was the main product but the multiplayer is absolutely awesome and intense game of cat and mouse and nobody cares much about it.

let me tell you about The Ship

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

it was actually pretty popular. At least on a cult status level. I still play it and never have problems finding matches. Not many games can say that 5-6 years after release.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is because good games are made by accident and it shows when the stapled on multiplayer mode was a hell of a lot more interesting and engrossing than the finely crafted single player campaign that was the focus of development

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oscar Wild posted:

What's funny is, the bad guy tries to moralise at you by saying "how many people have you killed, just today?" which is a fair point but the game doesn't do anything with it

XCOM 2 expansion
Divinity Original Sin 2
Shadow of War
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda
Nier Automata
Prey
Tekken 7
Grim Dawn Expansion
Destiny 2
Wolfenstein 2
Assassins Creed Origins
Does Yakuza 0 just go without saying or what

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

This is because good games are made by accident and it shows when the stapled on multiplayer mode was a hell of a lot more interesting and engrossing than the finely crafted single player campaign that was the focus of development

:rolleyes:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

my controversial opinion is that they were both great actually

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
This year wasn't too bad, by my reckoning we got Rimworld (in a state worth playing) and PUBG/Fortnite (depending on your preferences).

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

What's funny is, the bad guy tries to moralise at you by saying "how many people have you killed, just today?" which is a fair point but the game doesn't do anything with it

Does Yakuza 0 just go without saying or what

I didn't play it at all and didn't realize it belonged on the list. Thanks for the info!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im playing phoenix wright 4 and its not bad at all I dont know why everyone acts like its a low point in the series

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What case are you on?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

Im playing phoenix wright 4 and its not bad at all I dont know why everyone acts like its a low point in the series

yea it's fine. my unpopular opinion is that 5 is the worst game in the series.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

It's got an Anime Ending that's pretty divisive.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Outside of LETS WATCH THE TAPE AGAIN the main complaint is that Phoenix upstages Apollo and makes him seem pretty redundant and that Apollo comes off as a bland replacement for Phoenix. The latter I don’t fully agree with, and Apollo gets a lot better in the next few games, while the former is really only true in the last case which I do think is the weakest of the last cases in the series.

Spirit of Justice is hella dope though.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Outside of LETS WATCH THE TAPE AGAIN the main complaint is that Phoenix upstages Apollo and makes him seem pretty redundant and that Apollo comes off as a bland replacement for Phoenix. The latter I don’t fully agree with, and Apollo gets a lot better in the next few games, while the former is really only true in the last case which I do think is the weakest of the last cases in the series.

Spirit of Justice is hella dope though.

Apollo is literally Dan from Street Fighter. Even their head shapes are similar.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Playing Nier is the antithesis of fun.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

What case are you on?

I just finished the third

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

yea it's fine. my unpopular opinion is that 5 is the worst game in the series.

I agree with this, and I also quite like the 4th one.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Liking Apollo Justice? Up with this I will not put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I had no idea what i was supposed to be proving when i was "proving" the one handed piano stuff lol. I mean sure they explain it in detail afterwards but when I was doing it I just made a guess and it worked (isolate the piano track because thats all anyones talking about, and it had to be the first section of the tape because the second was already brought up and the third and fourth are out since its too far into the performance to be of interest)