Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

If it’s in a good recruiting area where he can just out talent everyone to such a degree that the in game stuff doesn’t matter, yeah. Those don’t seem to be the types of jobs he’s trying for though. It’s always like Purdue or somewhere that he’d be awful.

Yeah -- I was specifically thinking one of the Florida or Texas schools. Maybe Tulane or La Tech if those came open at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crap

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

He gone? Please say no.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DJExile posted:

So basically, Aggie is going to pay $40mil to get Jimbo out of Tallahassee, probably $7-8mil for his salary, and then at least another $6 mil to do the same for his assistants, all for the ability to keep losing to Bama.

I think his buyout is less than 40 for him to go to another school. I'd also guess they'll negotiate it down because it really does sound like it's not because he wanted more money at FSU or something.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
If true, I hope this doesn't turn out the same way the last time we stole a coach from a perennial powerhouse. At least Jimbo has a much better resume than Fran ever did. Even as a die-hard Aggie, the only reason I could see for Jimbo wanting to leave is behind the scenes bullshit. It's not like our fans or boosters are any less insane.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Nothing close to official yet, bruh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Don't Jimbo and his ex wife have a kid with some kind of bad health condition too?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

Good lord did Tennessee gently caress this up royally. The current state of the program is no surprise after watching this unfold.

After hearing about the divorce, Jimbo wanting a change of scenery makes sense, so might as well bilk the thirsty af ags for a pile of cash in the process. I kinda get wanting to move on from Sumlin, but doing so this year makes no sense with all the openings. They also need to find a way to reset expectations of the fan base because there's nothing in their history that should make them have the expectations they have

If they actually land Jimbo, I'd say it was a fine year to move on.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

If they actually land Jimbo, I'd say it was a fine year to move on.

that's true

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

maxallen posted:

HE WAS OURS FIRST GIVE HIM BACK

ps you dont have any roads named Tee Martin Drive and we do.

To be fair, it’s kind of a lovely road, but it still counts!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DJExile posted:

Don't Jimbo and his ex wife have a kid with some kind of bad health condition too?

Yeah, some genetic disease. Jimbo and his wife have been separated for over 2 years so it seems odd that this would be popping up only now. Unless things between them have gotten worse and he wants to move on from Tallahassee.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

His S&P+ rankings since 2010 are [38, 8, 14, 43] (at UGA), [12, 21, 19] (at UL), and [21] (at Miss State).

He's no Dan Quinn but he's sure as poo poo better than Shannon.

OK, "idiot" was unfair of me. But there are three things that are true about Grantham:

1) He blitzes like a 65-year-old Internet conservative uses caps lock.
2) He will never exactly get the best out of your talent and needs a shitload of NFL caliber players to have a great defense.
3) His scheme is overly complicated and if you're relying on underclassmen, you're boned.
and 3.5) Once this happens, he will throw everyone else under the bus.

Good luck, Florida!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

He gone? Please say no.

Signs point to likely

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, some genetic disease. Jimbo and his wife have been separated for over 2 years so it seems odd that this would be popping up only now. Unless things between them have gotten worse and he wants to move on from Tallahassee.

Figuratively cucked by Pruitt and literally cucked by his ex wife while he let the locker room go to poo poo and made charles kelly millions

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

D.N. Nation posted:

OK, "idiot" was unfair of me. But there are three things that are true about Grantham:

1) He blitzes like a 65-year-old Internet conservative uses caps lock.
2) He will never exactly get the best out of your talent and needs a shitload of NFL caliber players to have a great defense.
3) His scheme is overly complicated and if you're relying on underclassmen, you're boned.
and 3.5) Once this happens, he will throw everyone else under the bus.

Good luck, Florida!

we are currently giving up like 40 points per game

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah, which is apparently a motivating factor because of A&M's medical school.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

but what's his buyout

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, which is apparently a motivating factor because of A&M's medical school.

This doesn't make sense. A&M's medical school isn't very good and the actual associated hospitals are in Dallas, Round Rock (Austin), Houston and Temple rather than College Station where he would be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I know he recruits like a motherfucker but having watched usc’s offense for most of this year I am, uh, unconvinced on Tee Martin. I guess for PR reasons it makes sense though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ehud posted:

we are currently giving up like 40 points per game

UGA's defense was garbage in 2009. Grantham took over, made it better bit by bit, made it near great with some notable fuckups, then once those guys went and made money, the bottom fell out when he was unable to teach the young guys how to tackle. Then he left in a huff.

Then, it should be noted, Jeremy Pruitt took over and immediately the defense was awesome even with some holes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tee for HC Gruden for OC who says no

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

I know he recruits like a motherfucker but having watched usc’s offense for most of this year I am, uh, unconvinced on Tee Martin. I guess for PR reasons it makes sense though.

It's not Tee Martin's fault Darnold is a fuckin retard

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/johnnytownsend1/status/935229910486016000

edit

https://twitter.com/jakeallen_12/status/935231137751945216

love the honeymoon phase

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

It's not Tee Martin's fault Darnold is a fuckin retard

You don’t have to let Sam Darnold do so many things, Ronald Jones is right there waiting to run folks over. How you gonna coach in the SEC if you won’t Run The Dang Ball?

I did forget that Martin was OC last year too though, for some reason I thought this was his first

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Les Miles seems like he would be perfect at SMU if Chad Morris moved on.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lol @ townsend thinking he's going to punt under a HIGH POWERED DAN MULLEN OFFENSE am I right??

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

You don’t have to let Sam Darnold do so many things, Ronald Jones is right there waiting to run folks over. How you gonna coach in the SEC if you won’t Run The Dang Ball?

I did forget that Martin was OC last year too though, for some reason I thought this was his first

Especially when his options at UT are Guarantano at QB or John Kelly at RB. Run the dang ball

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

This doesn't make sense. A&M's medical school isn't very good and the actual associated hospitals are in Dallas, Round Rock (Austin), Houston and Temple rather than College Station where he would be.

I am just mentioning what has been reported. Maybe A&M has some expert in the field?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

We've had major O-line injuries all year, for a couple of games we were down both starting tackles and a guard. 2 of them were replaced by true freshman

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am just mentioning what has been reported. Maybe A&M has some expert in the field?

I get that, but the A&M medical school couldn't be a draw when the closest hospital would be at least an hour away. And like Sab said, it's not a thing A&M is known for. Now, if Jimbo had a sick pet or livestock, that would be a different story.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

oh god Mullen just said “champions of life” in his introductory press conference

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

oh god Mullen just said “champions of life” in his introductory press conference

lmao

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Godzilla07 posted:

honeymoon OVER

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Is Al Bundy elite?

Uh, he led Bears to a Superbowl.

where he died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hw2dSwiQuw

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 27, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

shut the gently caress up

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Maybe he was being ironic mocking Butch Jones?

Also Dan Mullen calls plays and coaches the QBs at MSU?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

shut the gently caress up

I did a double take too when I heard it.

https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/935239441316278272

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/935239256657756162

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't get it

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Godzilla07 posted:

the offseason has reached its peak before it even started

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't get it

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/26/14082880/butch-jones-life-champions-tennessee-2016

Butch Jones posted:

They’ve won the biggest championship, and that’s the championship of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

been watching the presser

Mullen is a high energy cliche machine lol

• Locked thread