Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Got drat. Dude has no chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For a long time while we were dating my wife was adamant about needing to have kids before 30 or she would get cancer later in life, and now that we're both 29 she's the one saying "why would you want to bring a life into our impending nuclear holocaust", as if she's the one who's been reading this forum for years and not me :lol:

Despite how hard a lot of people make having kids out to be I still want one, maybe two. But at the same time nearly everyone I know who has is or is thinking about having them has one of three things going for them:
-Lots of money
-Family nearby
-A stay-at-home work setup
And I don't see my wife and I having any of those in the near future. We said we'd re-evaluate when we bought our own place (likely next year) but who knows.

Probably Magic posted:

Thanks for this! I have adamant curry at H-Mart all the time and want try it out at home.

No problem, like I said curry is really easy to make but it's always a hit when we do.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

How did someone so petty get anywhere in life?

money

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

For a long time while we were dating my wife was adamant about needing to have kids before 30 or she would get cancer later in life, and now that we're both 29 she's the one saying "why would you want to bring a life into our impending nuclear holocaust", as if she's the one who's been reading this forum for years and not me :lol:

Despite how hard a lot of people make having kids out to be I still want one, maybe two. But at the same time nearly everyone I know who has is or is thinking about having them has one of three things going for them:
-Lots of money
-Family nearby
And I don't see my wife and I having any of those in the near future. We said we'd re-evaluate when we bought our own place (likely next year) but who knows.

No problem, like I said curry is really easy to make but it's always a hit when we do.

The reality is there will never be a perfect time. You need someone to have flexible/open PTO because kids get sick at the worst time. Parents nearby alleviates this a bit, but poorer and dumber people successfully raise kids all the time, so where there's a will there's a way.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
as someone who had kids at 18, don't have kids

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

How did someone so petty get anywhere in life?

money

Chicken and the egg

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

C-Euro posted:

-Lots of money
-Family nearby

Kids are both the best and the worst thing.

Nov 6, 2002

JPrime posted:

I feel like your experience would be slightly different than someone who is almost 30 contemplating having kids.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Sometimes I wish I never had kids then my 4 year old runs into the room to say "Daddy I love you so much" completely unprompted and welp

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i hear this was gonna happen and i'm all watch him bust out pocahantas

brother needs a real doctor to check on him

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

JPrime posted:

*turns on new game*

Hmm select your difficulty

*scrolls down to NIGHTMARE*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just found out that the owner of one of my clients donated 100k to Roy Moore's campaign this month. :bravo:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

I just found out that the owner of one of my clients donated 100k to Roy Moore's campaign this month. :bravo:

You're in shipping right? I worked for a shipping g startup and good Lord that industry was full of backwards looking dinosaurs and good ole boys.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neil Armbong posted:

The reality is there will never be a perfect time. You need someone to have flexible/open PTO because kids get sick at the worst time. Parents nearby alleviates this a bit, but poorer and dumber people successfully raise kids all the time, so where there's a will there's a way.

Yeah I'm sure we'll get there eventually but there's a couple things that I want to fall in place first (namely a better job for me and our own place). My parents aren't pressuring us to have kids right now and hers are actually advising us not to, even though I think they are secretly desperate for grandkids :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

You're in shipping right? I worked for a shipping g startup and good Lord that industry was full of backwards looking dinosaurs and good ole boys.

Yeah there's like zero attractive people in this industry

except me :smug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

Kids are both the best and the worst thing.

Being an uncle is pretty cool. You can be as involved as you want to be with most of the things that would appeal to me about kids (taking them do to fun stuff, teaching sports, helping out if they ask for something) and you never have to deal with all of the terrible cost or terrible things involved with having a kid.

Downside: die alone, etc etc.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I'm sure we'll get there eventually but there's a couple things that I want to fall in place first (namely a better job for me and our own place). My parents aren't pressuring us to have kids right now and hers are actually advising us not to, even though I think they are secretly desperate for grandkids :v:

Totally dude. Y'all will know when it's right for you. Like someone else said, they're both the best and the worst and for me personally, the greatest thing to happen in my life.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Having kids is literally the worst thing you could do for the environment.

*tips fedora*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
In my previous job the CEO called an all employee meeting so he could talk about how the country was finally moving in the right direction when Republicans took over congress in 2010

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah there's like zero attractive people in this industry

except me :smug:

Weird, all the shipping I do pretty much only involves hot people.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

In my previous job the CEO called an all employee meeting so he could talk about how the country was finally moving in the right direction when Republicans took over congress in 2010

Did you work for McNair and/or the Texans? :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

This is international ocean freight/container shipping. They're few and far between.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Only people? How provincial

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Lotta mail order brides?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

Into human trafficking eh?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jesus you nerds should be proud you didnt get it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

I got it, but I thankfully only got it because of this place.

You guys are a bad influence, but everyone already knew this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I'm sure they're intentionally not getting my terrible joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Shipping is fan slang for wanting characters in a piece of fiction to hook up. Like wanting Kirk and Spock to gently caress.

Nov 6, 2002

what

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One of my favorite moments was stumbling on the insane lady who was writing Roethlisberger x Hasselbeck fanfics after that superbowl.

Christ, that was 11 years ago.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Skwirl posted:

Shipping is fan slang for wanting characters in a piece of fiction to hook up. Like wanting Kirk and Spock to gently caress.

Sir you've misinterpreted the title of my fanfic masterpiece Kirk Bones Spock. :colbert:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luX5bFbcByk

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Skwirl posted:

people are weird

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

Sir you've misinterpreted the title of my fanfic masterpiece Kirk Bones Spock. :colbert:

mpreg?

Yep, you're about to find out what those 5 letters mean if you don't know, and then feel as much shame as when you found out about furries.

By the way, I have a 28 year old cousin who posts tons and tons and tons of this stuff about Voltron, and she is my source on so much of this culture.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 27, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

I'm sure they're intentionally not getting my terrible joke.

Honestly there's a human trafficking joke made at least once a day at my work so I missed it because I somehow wasn't expecting it here.

It's like when I worked for this A/V company and we would go to an office to hang a TV or whatever and it never failed that some idiot fucker would hold out his keys and go "oh you can put that in my trunk it's the red camry in the parking lot" EVERY. loving. TIME.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Blitz7x posted:

*turns on new game*

Hmm select your difficulty

*scrolls down to NIGHTMARE*

ask me about paying 50k/year in alimony/child support

:smithicide:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm having my first kid pretty soon. Any recommendations on parenting books?

Like everyone has told me most of them are a crock, but there must be something.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

fsif posted:

Like everyone has told me most of them are a crock, but there must be something.

The happiest baby/toddler on the block are probably the most common sense books I skimmed through and are full of things that I figured most sensible people did. This isn't some humble brag, they're just what I thought were common sense things to do with a kid.

No one knows everything about raising kids and just kinda makes it up as they go, but the only advice I can really offer are these:

1) Read to your kid every day, even when they're just a baby
2) Be patient. The kid legit doesn't know a thing and patience is the greatest gift you can give your child IMO
3) Find a balance for you and your wife to find time for yourselves. It can feel selfish as hell, but it's v important for your health and the health of the household
4) No shame in calling/going to the doc if you don't know what's going on
5) Every kid is different and develops differently, don't get caught on up on what you're kid isn't doing. Just enjoy your time with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

Parenting for Dummies

e: oh wow there actually is one

• Locked thread