Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

K. Waste posted:

Batman is also the main villain of SS, what with his being instrumental in funneling human chattel to Waller and then using his cryptic wealth to cover up a botched military experiment and absolving her of complicity in the deaths of numerous American civilians and civil servants.

Don't flip this: Waller is the main villain in Suicide Squad, and she plays Batman to her best advantage like everyone else. Even in the credits scene she ostensibly has the upper hand.

Either way, you know Ayer's referring to swapping the Joker in for Enchantress, having the Squad fake-fight the stand-in for the state when their real enemy is the really existing state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I'm sure there's a really awesome cut of Ayer's original vision for Suicide Squad somewhere that we'll never see. It had such potential in bringing together anti-heroes and straight villains for a really insane movie but alas. WB happened.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as flawed as suicide squad was i kinda dug that the joker was mostly just harley's origin story and didn't really affect the actual plot much, it was a nice script flip from the usual 'joker and the joker's girlfriend'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Brother Entropy posted:

as flawed as suicide squad was i kinda dug that the joker was mostly just harley's origin story and didn't really affect the actual plot much, it was a nice script flip from the usual 'joker and the joker's girlfriend'

This is true.

Also there's no big mystery to the editing in Suicide Squad, WB just had Ayer rearrange it from nonlinear to roughly linear. So there's a big chunk in the middle which is visually indistinct compared to the start, because it was meant to launchpad a bunch of flashbacks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

josh04 posted:

This is true.

Also there's no big mystery to the editing in Suicide Squad, WB just had Ayer rearrange it from nonlinear to roughly linear. So there's a big chunk in the middle which is visually indistinct compared to the start, because it was meant to launchpad a bunch of flashbacks.

drat. I didn't realize this. I knew it was frontloaded with that stuff, but I didn't know it was supposed to be more scattered throughout. It would also make Slipknot a less extremely obvious redshirt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
David Sanderburg tweeted this while talking about the Shazam Movie.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are we getting the talking tiger in this movie? I will be extremely upset if we do not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Charlz Guybon posted:

Are we getting the talking tiger in this movie? I will be extremely upset if we do not.

Talky Tawny is great.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

This was a sticking point for WB when McLaren was on Wonder Woman: that she wanted Diana to have a talking tiger she hung around with and WB being like "no, that's a Captain Marvel thing and we are not going to muddle the specialness of Tawky Tawny for this."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why, Billy? Are you against everyone on the farm having access to education? Are you a fascist? Is that what the lightning bolt means?

The Cameo posted:

This was a sticking point for WB when McLaren was on Wonder Woman: that she wanted Diana to have a talking tiger she hung around with and WB being like "no, that's a Captain Marvel thing and we are not going to muddle the specialness of Tawky Tawny for this."

She wants every hero to have their own solo movie and at the end of each a talking tiger ask them if they want to join The League.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cameo posted:

I'd like to think after Guardians of the Galaxy and Rocket Racoon that studios would be ready to roll with Tawny.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cameo posted:

The actual quote was "Diana having a tiger sidekick/pet she could talk with" which probably refers to her gods-given ability to understand any language in some versions of the comic which also gives her the power to talk to animals but people assumed it meant she had a tiger that spoke English.

Here's the article by Devin Faraci where the quote originated which got reposted on every cinema site:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/04/13/michelle-maclaren-leaves-wonder-woman

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would fit her theme of being an Ambassador to the world if she could speak any language. Having a tiger to talk with sounds cool to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A talking tiger would have more Chinese appeal than a raccoon too.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If Talky Tawny doesn't speak Edwardian public school English it will all have been for not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

Why, Billy? Are you against everyone on the farm having access to education? Are you a fascist? Is that what the lightning bolt means?

On his planet it's an axe

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

If Talky Tawny doesn't speak Edwardian public school English it will all have been for not

:same:

What's the deal with this emoticon having a fish?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

:same:

What's the deal with this emoticon having a fish?

It's a shark. 'Same' is Japanese for 'shark'.

Edit: further explained in the PYF thread on the stories behind the smilies

Silver Alicorn posted:

It's an anime thing

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 27, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Look at what Todd McFarlane has Spawn-ed in his word processor.

https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/934151337419317248/photo/1

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Look at what Todd McFarlane has Spawn-ed in his word processor.

https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/934151337419317248/photo/1

hmmm no "Tell that to Zod's broken neck" so this isn't even the best fan script that's never going to be made I've seen in a Tweet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Dammit, that's right. Overall point still stands. Oscars are bullshit, SS having good production design is not.

I could talk about the character design in that film for a long time. It definitely deserved it.

Brother Entropy posted:

It's really awesome that they just made a simple switch. He's Harley's boyfriend.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Marvel is “22 movies in, and we’ve got another 20 movies on the docket that are completely different from anything that’s come before—intentionally,” Feige said.

While Feige refused to reveal any details about the characters and stories Marvel has yet to introduce, he did promise a definitive end to the franchise that built Marvel. Avengers 4, he said, will “bring things you’ve never seen in superhero films: a finale.” This may mean a lot of dead Avengers at the hands of the villain Thanos, who has appeared sporadically and tantalizingly since the first Avengers movie back in 2012. But the Marvel Cinematic Universe will live on. “There will be two distinct periods. Everything before Avengers 4 and everything after. I know it will not be in ways people are expecting,” Feige teased.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/marvel-cover-story

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Rogue One had a lot of re-shoots and it's still a movie kinda sorta about how terrorism is justified when it's against the empire, but in this very distant way where they softened the main character and committed a capital offense by casting Forest Whitaker as basically the rebel side's version of Darth Vader but then only having him in the movie for like two minutes and making hima villain because he performs terrorist attacks against the empire. The characters dish out a lot of big talk about this stuff but the way in which Jyn's hands are kept clean and some other stuff really sticks out when her biggest dramatic moment is her making a speech about how people have to get their hands dirty.

Neurolimal posted:

In all fairness to Rogue One, I feel that there's a benefit to how it's changed; the original concept would have hit harder on the message but had niche appeal which means it would be more likely to have an audience that already agrees with the premise. It lost some edge by becoming more mainstream, but that also comes with having more mainstream appeal.

Also Whitaker doesn't really end up a Vader fascimilie outside of appearance; we only see one negative instance of his group (the city fight, and even that doesn't lean on them being bad). The scene with implications of torture has no "payoff"; it's described as unpleasant, but the deserter leaves unharmed in the long run.

Admittedly, I'm a bit soft on R1 because I like the ancillary message of "it's not actually possible to be apolitical"

I just went back and watched Rogue One right now and I wouldn't say that it depicts Saw Gerrera as a terrorist. At worst he's a guerilla extremist who's prepared to commit war crimes due to his paranoia (torturing the deserter pilot) but apart from that his cell's targets seemed to be legitimate military targets.

Cassian makes that big speech at the end about how the volunteer group made up of spies and assassins have all done things which they wish they could forget but the scriptwriters clearly made that line fairly ambiguous.

(Apparently the extended materials make it a lot clearer that Saw deliberately uses fear as a weapon against the Empire in order to empower his rebel cell and sometimes indiscriminately targets civilians during his attacks, so he's clearly a terrorist in the books and cartoons)

Fun fact: the name 'Saw Gerrera' is supposedly a play on 'Che Guevara' and his character was given the codename "Castro" by people working on the film before he was officially announced.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's get away from loaded terms like "terrorist" for a second.

Rogue One wasn't bold enough to have Saw's people using IEDs to complete the allegory, but there's basically no difference between Saw's faction and an "Al Qaeda affiliate" (short-hand for anyone the U.S. has put on a kill list), right up to the point where the Empire hits him with a drone strike. His people are basically civilians attacking Imperial hum-vees.

Rogue One also makes clear that the rebels are losing, and shows us how ugly that gets. As a result of the situation "on the ground," they have divided themselves into petty, hostile factions, much like the real thing today--which has been a problem for resistance fighters in the Middle East for ages. "Mainstream" rebellion is paralyzed by its money men, who don't see a path to victory. Beneath the supposed ideology, rebel operatives are under standing orders to kill anyone deemed a loose end. Cassian is a straight-up murderer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm black. I don't really care how "black people" might view BP because "black people" have lots of different opinions. For example, I am definitely highly skeptical of Disney "Afrofuturism".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm black. I don't really care how "black people" might view BP because "black people" have lots of different opinions. For example, I am definitely highly skeptical of Disney "Afrofuturism".

I'm coming at Black Panther from its comic roots and relating how it affected me and some other people I know from a personal perspective. Sorry if I came off as being assuming of who you are or what you should think. But I'm just trying to get across why I'm excited about this upcoming movie, which might or might not end up being disappointing.

KVeezy3 posted:

Ta-Nahisi Coates is a darling of neo-liberals. He might speak of systemic oppression and capital, but he does not speak to it in a material way.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/ta-nehisi-coates-case-for-reparations-bernie-sanders-racism/

It's liberal identity politics. Appeals for positive "role models" necessitates an exclusion/resentment of others in the context of current capitalist society; black people who are closer to the negative stereotypes (the lower class) are to be shamed as lesser beings.

To treat media depicting successful black people as a victory betrays genuine impotence in political discourse.

Yeah I read that article with a giant perpetual eyeroll. Getting into the whole class v. race perspective argument when it comes to leftist politics might be a little out of this thread, so again I'll come at you from what Black Panther means to me personally. In a media field, still completely dominated by white people and their lives and concerns, seeing people that look like me and other minorities evincing both bad and good traits, actually struggling with conflict and generally being human, is something that is both cool and good.

BP's history is itself problematic (https://kotaku.com/the-politics-of-the-black-panther-1766701304), with traces of exoticism, Afro otherizing, and being concerned with its white characters growth and evolution while Black Panther remains as a stoic exemplar, never changing. But at its best, under the pen of people like Don Mcgregor, Christopher Priest, and Ta-Nahisi Coates (I didn't bring up his reparation article btw, which I think everyone needs to read, but I'm talking about his writing in the book) the setting of Black Panther is struggling with both bad and worthwhile traits, its futurism battling with its xenophobia, its humanism at strict odds with top down patriarchal regal structure. But all times taking that struggle seriously, and paramount

As far as the movie goes, again, I think it's too early to tell. But things like this make me hopeful"

quote:

Speaking to CNET about Wakanda’s identity and evolution, Boseman had a frank reaction to being asked about the accent he developed while playing T’Challa in both Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther. Why doesn’t a European-educated man like T’Challa speak with a European accent? For Boseman, it came down to a simple fact: T’Challa speaks like a Wakandan, because Wakanda evolved and thrived without the taint of Colonialism that ravaged the African continent:

People think about how race has affected the world. It’s not just in the States. Colonialism is the cousin of slavery. Colonialism in Africa would have it that, in order to be a ruler, his education comes from Europe. I wanted to be completely sure that we didn’t convey that idea because that would be counter to everything that Wakanda is about. It’s supposed to be the most technologically advanced nation on the planet. If it’s supposed to not have been conquered — which means that advancement has happened without colonialism tainting it, poisoning the well of it, without stopping it or disrupting it — then there’s no way he would speak with a European accent.

If I did that, I would be conveying a white supremacist idea of what being educated is and what being royal or presidential is. Because it’s not just about him running around fighting. He’s the ruler of a nation. And if he’s the ruler of a nation, he has to speak to his people. He has to galvanize his people. And there’s no way I could speak to my people, who have never been conquered by Europeans, with a European voice.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/chadwick-boseman-chose-his-black-panther-accent-to-make-1820258023

That's a sign of thoughtful engagement right there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dont even fink about it posted:

Let's get away from loaded terms like "terrorist" for a second.

dont even fink about it posted:

there's basically no difference between Saw's faction and an "Al Qaeda affiliate"

Any simile you use is going to be a loaded term. You could have compared them to French freedom fighters under Nazi occupation instead of modern Al Qaeda affiliates but that'd still be a loaded term. It's loaded in the other direction but still loaded.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(Apparently the extended materials make it a lot clearer that Saw deliberately uses fear as a weapon against the Empire in order to empower his rebel cell and sometimes indiscriminately targets civilians during his attacks, so he's clearly a terrorist in the books and cartoons)

This explicitly happens in the Rogue One I saw in theaters and there's even a scene where Jyn rescues a civilian kid from Saw's attack on some imperial tanks in the middle of a crowded street in Jedha.

In general I don't think it's fair to try to avoid "loaded" terminology when they're in a city named Jedha (like the actual major port city Jeddah in Saudi Arabia) where imperial tanks (that were designed as hovering vehicles but were then redesigned to have treads in the final movie) are rolling through to mine kyber crystals (which is also pretty clearly taken from the Ka'bah, literally the shrine around the rock itself in the center of Mecca - kaibah) from an ancient galactic spiritual center.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 27, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

They're more concerned about his accent than that he's an idealized version of Mohammad bin Salman.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's basically no difference between this and al qaeda

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There's basically no difference between this and al qaeda

I've always been aware of it to some degree but I can't look at this stuff the same way after they got THR to do a hit piece on Lord and Miller.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Breaking: collect all four marvel covers and get a free year of vanity fair.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

K. Waste posted:

Batman is also the main villain of SS, what with his being instrumental in funneling human chattel to Waller and then using his cryptic wealth to cover up a botched military experiment and absolving her of complicity in the deaths of numerous American civilians and civil servants.

This is why I enjoy the Suicide Squad edit as is. We get the chain of acquisition and marketing upfront, Batman delivering the goods and Waller making the sales pitch, followed by the trudging reality that their lives are disposable. If it was flipping back and forth it might have more of a Verhoeven-esque punch, but it would lose the crushing affect.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

josh04 posted:

Suicide Squad is also notable for having its re-shoots stick out like a sore thumb. I think HUNDU and I were discussing this a few months back; Joel Kinnaman looks positively gaunt (like, Raul Julia in Street Fighter levels of thin) for about 20-25 minutes of his screentime, and it seems clear that Flag was supposed to die and Scott Eastwood's character would take over the team.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

This is out of the blue, but I'm trying to remember and I ask this earnestly, when Batman Begins first came out did fans make as big of a discussion out of his "I don't have to save you line." and letting Raz Al Ghul die at the end as they did about him killing people in BvS?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Conal Cochran posted:

This is out of the blue, but I'm trying to remember and I ask this earnestly, when Batman Begins first came out did fans make as big of a discussion out of his "I don't have to save you line." and letting Raz Al Ghul die at the end as they did about him killing people in BvS?

No.

People don't really care about content of media, what they care is about its form. No one objects to killing in Nolan movies because they're presented casually and matter-of-factly. Thus you have people who argue that Batman didn't kill Harvey Dent, because it simply doesn't register for them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 28, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Conal Cochran posted:

Yep. It was a pretty common point of contention when discussing the film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Conal Cochran posted:

There was certainly discussion of what a cop-out that is, particularly considering Batman caused the train accident that's about to kill Raz, and also all the people he killed blowing up the League of Shadow's lair. But it didn't break people's brains the way BvS did and wasn't nearly as large a part of the conversation.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Conal Cochran posted:

No. These kinds of things only crop up when people are dissatisfied with the film and trying to figure out why. No one cared in '89 about Keaton's murderous Batman either because it was widely perceived to be a "cool" movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Batman should kill the baddies, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like how Batman in Justice League pretty much casually uses a rifle in the final battle.

• Locked thread