Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Ah, DLC! Let's see what level of mayhem our good buddy Wei pulls out of this one?

... wow, okay.

So er... I've given Wei a pass before because he was doing things under police instruction, but there ain't no way someone asked Wei to participate in a remake of Enter the Dragon. As such, everything here is fair game, though I'm not counting the mooks who caught fire of their own accord without Wei touching them, nor the guys from the final "round" of the tournament, as there were highly extenuating circumstances.

I am however upgrading one of the manslaughter charges to murder thanks to Bobbin admitting he wanted to wait and use circumstantial events to kill one of the dudes. As before, you have the right to remain silent!

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 31 (total: 221)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 6 (total: 138)

Crimes:

1 Count Premeditated Crimes of Fashion and Hairstyling in the First Degree
3 Counts Littering
1 Count Malicious Destruction of a Perfectly Good Suit
15 Counts Assault and Battery
10 Counts Attempted Manslaughter in the First Degree
2 Counts Manslaughter in the First Degree
2 Counts Murder in the Second Degree
1 Count Tripping Balls
1 Count Boating While Intoxicated

So the DLC's total sentence is consequently 186 Years, 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GenHavoc posted:

Ah, DLC! Let's see what level of mayhem our good buddy Wei pulls out of this one?

... wow, okay.

So er... I've given Wei a pass before because he was doing things under police instruction, but there ain't no way someone asked Wei to participate in a remake of Enter the Dragon. As such, everything here is fair game, though I'm not counting the mooks who caught fire of their own accord without Wei touching them, nor the guys from the final "round" of the tournament, as there were highly extenuating circumstances.
I thought Teng sent Wei on this assignment?

Granted, I don't think it quite played out how she would have preferred...

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Jesus christ Wei, what the hell?

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i choose to interpret the dlc as like some kind of bizarre fever dream/fantasy sequence rather than something that actually happened.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
The tournament master said right at the beginning that there will be only 1 winner. Some fighters admitted they were there for the money and were willing to kill. But then fighters suddenly became best pals and refused to fight? I think fighters betrayed the tournament master, not the other way round.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As someone who isn't well versed in law, what's the difference between the degrees of murder/manslaughter?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Intent, mostly. Manslaughter is when you cause someone's death without meaning to, and the various degrees of murder mostly depend on how much planning you did in advance.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GenHavoc posted:

1 Count Tripping Balls
I'm pretty sure there's an actual term for this, but I like yours better.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

CommissarMega posted:

As someone who isn't well versed in law, what's the difference between the degrees of murder/manslaughter?

In this case, I ruled that the killings done in the middle of a fight were manslaughter, as the circumstances were extreme and indicated no proof of specific malice. Chasing dudes down with intent to kill them, or intentionally pausing a fight so that you could arrange the death of a combatant is a very different matter, and wound up with Murder charges attached. Though as always this is all

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wei goes through the training dummy super loving fast, it's amazing. And I'm actually surprised he knows the forms, considering he doesn't actually practice Wing Chun (that I've seen). But then again, it was cool, so I agree with the developers putting it in.

I'm not going to mention the horrible loving deaths.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was... a strange series of events.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The DLCs get stranger, friend.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Azure Dreamer posted:

i choose to interpret the dlc as like some kind of bizarre fever dream/fantasy sequence rather than something that actually happened.
Yeah, the actual events were probably so mindnumbingly boring that our adrenaline junkie of a protagonist probably spaced out and dreamed up something more interesting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mantis42 posted:

The DLCs get stranger, friend.

And thankfully, more fun!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nightmare in North point and year of the snake are both post game, right?

I guess you could do nightmare whenever, since it's so weird.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't think so, a bunch of ghosts in game do spoil the main plot.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

Wei goes through the training dummy super loving fast, it's amazing. And I'm actually surprised he knows the forms, considering he doesn't actually practice Wing Chun (that I've seen). But then again, it was cool, so I agree with the developers putting it in.

He seems to be focused on just hitting the dummy instead of trying to control it though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Year of the Snake definitely takes place post game.
Nightmare is a bit more vague, but Wei is still in Sun On Yee, so its not post game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Regarding the last video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXic-9O-euY&t=1083s

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think I've dealt with my issues at this point, but the last few videos are so big only the corners will have Dailymotion mirrors.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I appreciated the time we spent with the nice car, Bobbin.

Also, training dummies can be either wood or PVC, but those ones are hollow. If you want to train your fists, that's what punching bags are for.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Going around bare foot should be a crime(and riding a bike with so much exposed skin), it's like that episode in Archer. There must be so much broken glass in the back alleys.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 11, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Heads up Bobbin: You DID get new information: "Scoundrel CI File" and "CI Report: Triad Affiliate Wei Shen"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Don't forget Entrapment. I'm pretty sure Hotshot will sue Wei for that, whether or not he has a case.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm now wondering what a Yakuza 0 Let's Play would look like done by Bobbin.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
So glad to see this back! Time for more judicial pedantry!

Couple of notes:

- One of the guys Wei Shen beat up at as part of the Cheater's Never Prosper line was only thrown into a dumpster. I'm therefore not counting him as crippled. The dude who got faceplanted into a car hard enough to throw it though...

- I assume the thing with the monks was some kind of arranged sparring, and thus does not count as crimes (he had time to change, and the monks bowed before beginning). The monks who merely got faceplanted in the water for a few seconds do not even count as being permanently crippled, but everyone else does.

- As to the giant kerfluffle at the end of the Hotshot race... man your guess is as good as mine.

- Entrapment, by the way, isn't a crime, it's an affirmative defense for a crime. Hotshot might be able to sue, but Wei can't be arrested for it.

So overall, we have:

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 50 (total: 271)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 3 (total: 141)

Crimes:

2 Counts Filthy Self-Harm (Walking around Hong Kong barefoot, then Die Harding it up)
8 Counts Assault and Battery
1 Count Assault and Battery of a Police Officer
2 Counts Being a Motherfucking Terminator (Dude got shot in the back four times escaping the cops, barely flinched. He also apparently can lift and shove cars around.)
2 Counts Misdemeanor Resisting Arrest
1 Count Vehicular Assault
2 Counts Vandalism
2 Counts Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
1 Count Leaving Shao (?)
1 Count Simple Assault on a Police Officer
1 Count Taking the Word of Highly Sketchy Motherfucker as Excuse to go do Shady poo poo
2 Counts Manslaughter in the First Degree
1 Count Malicious Destruction of Property
3 Counts Reckless Endangerment
1 Count Carjacking
1 Count Posession of an Illegal Firearm
1 Count Grand Theft Boat
1 Count Grand Theft Auto
1 Count Felony Resisting Arrest
2 Counts Vehicular Assault on a Police Officer
1 Count Street Racing (yeah, this time it counts)

For a (surprisingly-low, I have to say) sentence of 63 Years, 5 months.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm a little surprised you covered IA so early in the game but I loving love that movie and i'm glad you did it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I always preferred to trigger the cops for that first favor by stealing their car right in front of them rather than attacking; kept you safe from their nasty tackle/cuff move and started you off in a vehicle going the right direction. Also had the benefit of being funny as hell of course.

I assume you're doing the console version of the game, right? PC version seems to be much different as far as some of those side activities. The Shaolin brawl thing was just a "keep beating up infinite monks" gauntlet as I recall, and they didn't suffer the conservation of ninja effect, so it was mostly a factor of building face ASAP then seeing how many monks I could drown or ram into the gongs for amusement.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
He's playing the PC port. He uses mouse and keyboard for shooting segments.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Specifically I'm playing the Definitive Edition, which integrates all the challenges and DLC so they make more sense in-story and offers some graphics upgrades.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
In the words of Radio Dead Air's host Nash, never trust the talkie box cause it lies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se_ChU2oltIeo&t=1461s

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

For some reason I thought the V.A. for Ace's partner was really good for that short period; they really sounded in shock.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

and offers some graphics upgrades.

I saw some screenshots floating around that showed the Definitive Edition looking worse. Has that been fixed?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, Infernal Affairs has been around that long? I've known about it since before The Departed came along (man, The Departed has been around that long?), but never seen it because I just don't really like crime thrillers, to be honest.

A while ago though my then-housemate roped me into watching The Departed with him and sure enough I didn't enjoy it all that much. The performances seemed fine, but it felt like the script-writer got near the end of the story and leaned back in their chair, wondering how they were going to wrap it all up... before leaning back in and decisively typing out:

"And then they all died.

The End."

Like I said though, I don't really like crime thrillers, so I'm probably not the best judge of this one.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Antistar01 posted:

Man, Infernal Affairs has been around that long? I've known about it since before The Departed came along (man, The Departed has been around that long?), but never seen it because I just don't really like crime thrillers, to be honest.

A while ago though my then-housemate roped me into watching The Departed with him and sure enough I didn't enjoy it all that much. The performances seemed fine, but it felt like the script-writer got near the end of the story and leaned back in their chair, wondering how they were going to wrap it all up... before leaning back in and decisively typing out:

"And then they all died.

The End."

Like I said though, I don't really like crime thrillers, so I'm probably not the best judge of this one.

No, you got it right there; even if I hadn't seen Infernal Affairs beforehand, there are too many stretches of the Departed that just feel... cold and empty, and a little more detached than I think Scorsese intended (although Wahlberg's character was great, as was his interplay with Baldwin's character, but even in context it feels like something from another movie), and all of the subtleties I loved and lent such tension to the scenes in IA just felt forced and shoddy in Departed... plus, the ending, which changes things up due to conflicting viewpoints regarding guilt and punishment which just ends the whole thing sourly.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You forgot 1 Count of Stealing Physics From An Officer.

Like how the hell did that guy get out of the car like that Wei what did you do

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Fun fact: it looks like they tried to write Обязательство (obligation) on his back, but the last three letters are missing, so it comes out more like "obligat". And the Greece thing: there is a stereotype about Greeks preferring homosexuality with "rear entry". Maybe the masseuse is actually a masseur, like a ladyboy or something. Or it could simply be anal stimulation with a dildo.

- The Ponytail Guy is unusual in that nobody else in the game has a hairstyle like that. Could his appearance be a reference to some movie?
- Mrs. Chu is voiced by one Irene Tsu, who has lived in the US since she was twelve. This makes it even stranger that they chose to make her the only named character who doesn't speak English.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 18, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, Broken Nose Jiang.

I foreshadowed her when Big Smile Lee was first mentioned a few pages back where I mentioned that she was a favorite character and the reason for this is that she is in many ways Lee's opposite.

She knows to use just enough force to get the job done but not waste energy on more than that. As SF Debris said in his video on Garak: Don't throw a punch when a tap on the shoulder will do. Don't make a threat when a kind word will accomplish the same thing.

She recognises that Wei loathes Lee and his operation at least as much as she does and while their reasons for being against it may not be completely the same, she knows that Wei would be the one to ally with her against Lee if it came down to it hence why she was so quick to help us escape the PD after Ponytail got away.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like those blows to the head are getting to Wei: <starting the fight> 'You're done'. <10 seconds into the fight> 'Are you done?'

• Locked thread