Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jisforjosh posted:

Same, I've got the HiFiMan 4xx Planars and the Sennheiser HD6xx's on the way at the same time.

The collection grows

2 days after getting the Massdrop shipping email my customcans 2.5mm XLR cable turned up in the mail. They forgot to put a heat shrink where the cable splits :mad:

It's okay, I just put some gaffer tape there instead and same result in the end. Must have been an off day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

My recent headphones (Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II) got stolen, so I'm looking for a replacement. I was generally used to Sennheiser with their amazing sound, but these were wired and without microphone, and 10 years ago (but it lasted for 8 years without any issues!). The Bose ones were pretty great for my purposes, but a) they're pretty pricey b) am open to anything new (hey, if they don't work out I can always return and get back to what I've already used)

Budget: Up to £200
Isolation requirements: In a fairly relaxed office, but I don't really want to hear anything when coding and there are people on the phone around
Preferred type: Over-ear - I don't want an in-ear ones, as I'll wear them for most of the day, and while I have in-ear ones for when I'm climbing or such, I find them uncomfortable when using for longer
Other requirements: Wireless, with microphone

I was looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-Monitor-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B06XVTKK2G/ but I truly don't know what to choose given the amount of headphones on the market. Overall - any recommendations?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Budget - Maybe around $50 or so
Source - iPhone for mp3s
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds of some kind. IEM is cool. She's going to be using these primarily for exercising.
Preferred Tonal Balance - She listens to top 40 stuff, while exercising, probably. It'd be nice if it sounded nice but she's not an audiophile.
Past Headphones - She had these (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-earbud-headphones-black/4909005.p?skuId=4909005) for about a year and they stopped working. They seemed adequate but I think she'd appreciate something a little nicer.

Thanks for any suggestions. Currently I'm looking at these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=psdc_12097478011_t2_B00AWLEAH6

But I have no idea if they're recommended.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

canis minor posted:

My recent headphones (Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II) got stolen, so I'm looking for a replacement. I was generally used to Sennheiser with their amazing sound, but these were wired and without microphone, and 10 years ago (but it lasted for 8 years without any issues!). The Bose ones were pretty great for my purposes, but a) they're pretty pricey b) am open to anything new (hey, if they don't work out I can always return and get back to what I've already used)

Isolation requirements: In a fairly relaxed office, but I don't really want to hear anything when coding and there are people on the phone around
Preferred type: Over-ear - I don't want an in-ear ones, as I'll wear them for most of the day, and while I have in-ear ones for when I'm climbing or such, I find them uncomfortable when using for longer

I was looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-Monitor-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B06XVTKK2G/ but I truly don't know what to choose given the amount of headphones on the market. Overall - any recommendations?

Are you cool with circumaurals? The Sennheiser HD 569 sounds perfect for you. I love mine and use the mic for Destiny 2 raids.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Are you cool with circumaurals? The Sennheiser HD 569 sounds perfect for you. I love mine and use the mic for Destiny 2 raids.

Yes, although wireless is a must; from what I see the HD 569 don't have that. I guess https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-hd-4-40-bt would qualify but they look a bit small, idk. And then from Sennheiser the price increases dramatically - Urbanite XL would still be fine but apparently the microphone is in the cable? (at least that what's Amazon says "Detachable universal cable with in-line remote control and integrated microphone"). Momentum 2.0 are too pricey for me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

canis minor posted:

Yes, although wireless is a must; from what I see the HD 569 don't have that. I guess https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-hd-4-40-bt would qualify but they look a bit small, idk. And then from Sennheiser the price increases dramatically - Urbanite XL would still be fine but apparently the microphone is in the cable? (at least that what's Amazon says "Detachable universal cable with in-line remote control and integrated microphone"). Momentum 2.0 are too pricey for me.

Oh dang, sorry, missed wireless as a must have!

Passburger
May 4, 2013

canis minor posted:

Passburger posted:

I deem these (Sony MDR-ZX770BN) decent but I'm sure most people would think of them as half-decent. I own a pair that I use daily when I'm out and about, also they are under your budget.
Also, they have a built in mic for calls.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There is a new revision of the Micca Orgien that fixes the driver issue, so it's not a complete pain in the rear end anymore, but having to drop $110 for a QoL thing is a bit much for now.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
FedEx Smartpost was...good for once? My HD6XXs were scheduled for delivery this coming Thursday...yet they arrived today, on a Sunday? :toot:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

jisforjosh posted:

FedEx Smartpost was...good for once? My HD6XXs were scheduled for delivery this coming Thursday...yet they arrived today, on a Sunday? :toot:

Thirst for the 4XX intensifies.

Even though it's out a month ahead of time

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Chinook posted:

Budget - Maybe around $50 or so
Source - iPhone for mp3s
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds of some kind. IEM is cool. She's going to be using these primarily for exercising.
Preferred Tonal Balance - She listens to top 40 stuff, while exercising, probably. It'd be nice if it sounded nice but she's not an audiophile.
Past Headphones - She had these (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-earbud-headphones-black/4909005.p?skuId=4909005) for about a year and they stopped working. They seemed adequate but I think she'd appreciate something a little nicer.

Thanks for any suggestions. Currently I'm looking at these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=psdc_12097478011_t2_B00AWLEAH6

But I have no idea if they're recommended.

KZ ZSTs. Cheap, sound good, and the cable can be replaced if it breaks

grack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 27, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Seconding the ZSTs. Lightweight comfortable and cheap enough that I don’t care much if I lose then or something. I bought a second pair just so I could leave one connected to the Bluetooth and one to normal cables.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan. I appreciate the advice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't stop buying IEMs after the ZST but maybe I should have. Once I have bought since are better than them in various ways but I keep going back to the ZSTs.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

jisforjosh posted:

Meanwhile, my DHL package claimed "Delivery failed. Recipient not home." on friday, even though I was sitting around waiting for the package to come. Then I get a notification saying they will re-try on sunday and the same thing happens. grr

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't stop buying IEMs after the ZST but maybe I should have. Once I have bought since are better than them in various ways but I keep going back to the ZSTs.

You're talking about these right here?
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01N0782B3

That is especially cheap. I'm surprised that they come recommended. I might just get a pair for myself if those are the recommended ones. Thanks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chinook posted:

You're talking about these right here?
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01N0782B3

That is especially cheap. I'm surprised that they come recommended. I might just get a pair for myself if those are the recommended ones. Thanks.
Yep, the very same. In their own way I like them as much as other IEMs that cost 10x as much.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep, the very same. In their own way I like them as much as other IEMs that cost 10x as much.

Thanks. I also grabbed her a small carrying case and some extra foam tips so she can swap them out and find something that's comfortable. I don't think getting a backup wire seems necessary, but apparently that's a common thing to get.

Thanks again.

Is this item here the same thing? In case I ever want to get a set. (I'm a fan of flowery colors but just not that big of a fan.)
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01LZIPN4Q?th=1

Chinook fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 27, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Chinook posted:

Thanks. I also grabbed her a small carrying case and some extra foam tips so she can swap them out and find something that's comfortable. I don't think getting a backup wire seems necessary, but apparently that's a common thing to get.

Thanks again.

Is this item here the same thing? In case I ever want to get a set. (I'm a fan of flowery colors but just not that big of a fan.)
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01LZIPN4Q?th=1

Yeah, there are two housing versions for the ZSTs. They should be identical in terms of sound quality.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Budget - Under $200
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - not needed
Preferred Type of Headphone - full size wireless over or on ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced to bass heavy
Preferred Music - pop music

This is a gift for my daughter, who wanted beats studio or solo line. I have managed to convince her that I can get a comparable wireless headphone for cheaper.

I am currently looking at either MEE audio Matrix2 or Sony MDR XB950B1. Any other headphone suggestions?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
How stupid would I be if I bought the Samsung Gear Icon X 2018?

I know they're dumb and expensive but they look really cool and I'd like something ultralight for my long bike path commute.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of KZ are they working on anything else right now? I only found out about them recently but I was told that up until the ZS6 they had been announcing and releasing new IEMs at an insane rate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spermanent Record posted:

How stupid would I be if I bought the Samsung Gear Icon X 2018?

I know they're dumb and expensive but they look really cool and I'd like something ultralight for my long bike path commute.

I'm sure they will make noise that is pleasing to the average consumer and probably be comfortable enough to use. The battery life is much improved from first gen wireless IEMs.

They actually don't look terrible. Would I buy them? If I wanted wireless IEMs I might put them on a list to consider.

Just watch this first and think carefully because its applicable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wImaGRkNY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Gardenator posted:

Budget - Under $200
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - not needed
Preferred Type of Headphone - full size wireless over or on ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced to bass heavy
Preferred Music - pop music

This is a gift for my daughter, who wanted beats studio or solo line. I have managed to convince her that I can get a comparable wireless headphone for cheaper.

I am currently looking at either MEE audio Matrix2 or Sony MDR XB950B1. Any other headphone suggestions?

Only to give you more ideas. I haven't listened to any of these specifically:

https://www.koss.com/headphones/wireless-headphones/bt540i

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC (review in this article) https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-noise-canceling-headphones-pxc-550-wireless-hd-45-btnc-hd1-wireless-and-hd1-ear
Might be a cheaper not noise cancelling version. 4. something else.

Also Audio-Technica make a bunch of wireless sexy looking over ear headphones so that's something to look into as well. Prices range from hmm to lol no.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DancingShade posted:

Only to give you more ideas. I haven't listened to any of these specifically:

https://www.koss.com/headphones/wireless-headphones/bt540i

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC (review in this article) https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-noise-canceling-headphones-pxc-550-wireless-hd-45-btnc-hd1-wireless-and-hd1-ear
Might be a cheaper not noise cancelling version. 4. something else.

Also Audio-Technica make a bunch of wireless sexy looking over ear headphones so that's something to look into as well. Prices range from hmm to lol no.

This Sennheisers don’t support the AAC bluetooth codec used by iPhones, so I’d aim elsewhere ideally.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My HE-4xx are scheduled to be delivered by the end of the day today. :smug:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My HE-4xx are scheduled to be delivered by the end of the day today. :smug:

Got mine yesterday, still not sure if I prefer the sound of the HE-4xx over the HD6XX but I know for sure that the Sennheisers are more comfortable for me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jisforjosh posted:

Got mine yesterday, still not sure if I prefer the sound of the HE-4xx over the HD6XX but I know for sure that the Sennheisers are more comfortable for me

Oh I'm already pretty sure I'm going to like every aspect of the HD6xx over the HE-4xx but I mean, :cmon: how could you not hop on a set of planars for $170?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
HE4XX's arrived. Pretty nice, no real preference between it and the HD650 other than it's a lot more comfortable to me due to the looser clamp. Really like that they improved comfort with the pads and the headband. Never owned a Hifiman product, but have listened to them in the past so I can't comment how different these are from the other HE4-whatevers. I actually forgot I ordered these so it was a pleasant surprise.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mine have accelerated from being due Friday to due tomorrow. Anyone having early positive results with phones/Switch/3DS driving them?

E: HifiMan HE4XX: my Nintenphones

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 29, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think my HE-4xx have left continental USA yet looking at the tracking but that's fine. I've waited months I can wait a few more weeks. Especially when they are ahead of the original schedule anyway.

Perfect timing really. I wanted something open with sub bass so I could enjoy certain music in the Australian summer without relying entirely on IEMs. My favorite headphones are all closed and completely unsuitable for lengthy listening sessions half of the year.

Good to hear people like them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

HE4XX's arrived. Pretty nice, no real preference between it and the HD650 other than it's a lot more comfortable to me due to the looser clamp. Really like that they improved comfort with the pads and the headband. Never owned a Hifiman product, but have listened to them in the past so I can't comment how different these are from the other HE4-whatevers. I actually forgot I ordered these so it was a pleasant surprise.

The HE-4xx are supremely comfy, but they're hilariously large on my head.

I tried them out with my cell phone hast night and I feel like my poor phone just isn't up to the task of driving them. Initial impression is that they're just not as detailed as the HD6xx. However I don't think that's a fair observation since I haven't tried them with my amp yet.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My HE 4XX got delivered to the building next door, not mine. Luckily I was able to retrieve them nonetheless!

The ear pads (Focus-A?) are way comfier than expected. Definitely put my old Monolith M560s to shame. The retention/adjustment system might be my favorite that I’ve come across so far. I’m always worried about he elastic bands on the AKG 7XX breaking at some point. We’ll see how they do for a few hours in a row tomorrow, but I’m fairly confident it’ll go alright.

It was a little surprising how much I had to goose these on my amp for them to really pop - much more than the AKGs need and a phone can drive the M560s. The cord being so short is a little disappointing, but I’m sure I’ll get by somehow.

I’m only one album in, but I had forgotten how nice it was to listen to orthos - the M560s have been out of commission for so long it was a more distant memory than anticipated. These are warmer than my recollection of the M560s, which is nice because they were kind of at my limit for bright sounds. But I’ve only listened to one album, and I’m not sure that “Post-Pop Depression” really gets to those mid-highs and highs for that.

Tightness of sound and total comfort are already making me adore them. The full metal construction is also really nice. Fuller thoughts coming, but I’m very pleased already!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys,

Just got my hifi man Re-400's and to be honest i'm quite disappointed. Thin sounding, bass isn't that great...they feel very light and breakable too. Considering sending them back to amazon and rolling the dice on something else.

Budget - around £50.
Source - My ipod nano mostly, or my phone.
Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bring me the bass bass bass (but not in a poo poo way)
Past Headphones - Soundmagic e10, yuin pk2. They seemed to have good bass and sound for the price.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal music
Mic/controls - Don't want/need one.

Cheers!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

jisforjosh posted:

When I checked last week mine weren’t even supposed to be shipped until late December but they arrived on Monday. Only problem so far is that the cups get a little uncomfortable after a while (a couple hours) but eh, so have literally every other pair of headphones I’ve worn.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Got in on some 6XXs, missed them last time. Can't wait for March :|

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Moatman posted:

When I checked last week mine weren’t even supposed to be shipped until late December but they arrived on Monday. Only problem so far is that the cups get a little uncomfortable after a while (a couple hours) but eh, so have literally every other pair of headphones I’ve worn.

Is it the cups or the clamp force?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Help me pick a pair of cans, thread. 300 EUR budget. Circumaural (can be suprauaral but only if its literally the best thing ever), semi-open or open. Bonus points if the cable can be replaced separately from headphones or if they can be folded. I'll be plugging them directly into my laptop to listen drum and bass and to play shooters, hence I'm more or less after crisp, thumping bass, and normal everything else. I imagine my laptop has fairly lovely audio output, so if the cans are cheap enough I could also look into some USB powered non-gigantic DAC/amp.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 2, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Help me pick a pair of cans, thread. 300 EUR budget. Circumaural (can be suprauaral but only if its literally the best thing ever), semi-open or open. Bonus points if the cable can be replaced separately from headphones or if they can be folded. I'll be plugging them directly into my laptop to listen drum and bass and to play shooters, hence I'm more or less after crisp, thumping bass, and normal everything else. I imagine my laptop has fairly lovely audio output, so if the cans are cheap enough I could also look into some USB powered non-gigantic DAC/amp.

Phillips Fidelio X2 is probably what you are after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lube banjo posted:

Phillips Fidelio X2 is probably what you are after

drat, these look nice on paper. Any much difference between X2 and X2 High Range (X2HR/00)? On my end it looks like 50 EUR difference between the two.