Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

what other eagle was tempted by the dark side? (aka the cowboys)

Hmmm okay I see where you're going, but its not like he destroyed them in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
With their latest blowout win — 31-3 over the Bears Sunday at the Linc — the Eagles became only the fourth NFL team in the last 64 years to win four straight games by 23 or more points.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hmmm okay I see where you're going, but its not like he destroyed them in the end.

2005 season though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

2005 season though.

Good point.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

It makes the mcnabb as obiwan analogy work even better too.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been saying this for years. They haven't had a legit good defense since Wade's first year as HC and have coasted to the few successes they've had since then on the backs of hall of fame level offensive talents even if they only had one insane year in them individually. Romo made one or two subpar receivers a season look like world beaters, and there was a pretty strong rotating cast of decent to great running backs over the years.

All of this offensive talent squandered with garret's far too conservative gameday execution plus no defense to speak of for a decade is where the cowboys are at. Dak isn't RGIII 2.0, but the future seems a lot more like the years between aikman and romo than they do like a continuation of success.

So what you’re saying is Dak Prescott is the second coming of Quincy Carter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

With their latest blowout win — 31-3 over the Bears Sunday at the Linc — the Eagles became only the fourth NFL team in the last 64 years to win four straight games by 23 or more points.

Peaking in November

Meh

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
run defense per RB:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticPHI/status/934978380058984449

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Todd Gurley was looking pretty unreal against the Saints.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
I'm going to enjoy the Eagles run defense getting exposed when they face a balanced offense with a real running back like New Orleans or LA.

Imagine if Kansas City ran Hunt more.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We'll find out in 2 weeks, Eagles are at LA. Also Kamara doesn't count because he's on the drugs or something, that poo poo yesterday was silly

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Good article today on BGN about how Doug Pederson is everything C*** K**** The Deceiver was promised to be.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/11/27/16704562/doug-pederson-philadelphia-eagles-chip-kelly-ucla

Dave Mangels posted:

Doug Pederson is the coach the Eagles thought they were getting with C*** K****

C*** K**** was hired at Florida UCLA over the weekend. It was a small shame that he wasn’t retained by the 49ers for this season, depriving everyone of a wealth of material to write or talk about prior to the Eagles playing the 49ers. (I had a really good tear down in mind, oh well.) K**** might succeed back in the Pac-12, it’s a good gamble for both parties. For the Eagles, the decision to move on from K****and forward with Doug Pederson has been richly rewarded.

A lot of times when a coach is fired he is replaced by someone who is the exact opposite. Teams routinely fire a former “hot coordinator” and replace him with a retread, or vice versa. Offensive coaches are swapped for defensive coaches, and defensive coaches are replaced by offensive coaches. A hardass coach is replaced with a player’s coach, or in the Eagles case a heartless one was replaced by a coach with “emotional intelligence.” Often teams looking for “the next [insert name here]” and they almost always don’t get him.

In many ways, the Eagles finally got what they wanted when they hired K****, they just got it with Pederson. Some are well earned, some are things out of Pederson’s control, and some are superficial, but Pederson is getting spoils that Kelly didn’t get, or didn’t want.

C*** K**** was supposed to revolutionize the NFL and create an efficient, high scoring big play offense that beat teams over the head week in and week out. In reality, his team was a series of moments of brilliance. In 2013 there was the debut against the Redskins, Nick Foles’ 7 TD against the Raiders, and the drubbing of the Bears on Monday Night Football. 2014 had beatdowns of the Panthers and Titans and the 27-0 Sunday Night embarrassment of the Giants. Even the awful 2015 season had some laughers, the blowout of the Saints and the upset of the Patriots that ironically played a key part in K****’s dismissal.

But none of it lasted. K****’s offenses ran through LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson. When they were gone, the Eagles offense wasn’t threatening. In 2013 the Eagles offense was 3rd in DVOA, which slid to 13th in 2014 without Jackson, and 26th in 2015 without McCoy, and his 49ers offense was 23rd. In the red zone, they were 18th, 23rd and 15th in his three seasons in Philly. C*** K****’s teams were fun when they were good, but they weren’t the dominant, efficient offense Kelly was hired to install. And more than the final scores, K****’s offense devolved each year to the point where it became the most boring and predictable offense in the league. Without star players, his offense was unwatchable.

Pederson on the other hand is running the league’s best offense in 2017. Even last year, with the worst set of skill position players and a rookie QB, the Eagles offense was 20th in DVOA and 24th in the red zone last year. All things considered, a respectable showing, and on par with the worst of the K****era. This year, he’s tops in both. The Eagles are scoring 31.9 points per game, which would be the 13th greatest 16 game season in NFL history, tied with the 2009 Saints. They’re on a seven game streak of scoring at least 28 points. The talent upgrades at RB and WR certainly play a part, but Pederson’s offense doesn’t lean on individual players. Until Sunday, the team hadn’t had a 100 yard receiver, and they’ve only had two games where a player has caught multiple touchdowns, one each by Zach Ertz and Alshon Jeffery. The Eagles have run all over teams, but there too the distribution isn’t bunched. Corey Clement is the only runner with multiple TDs in a game and LeGarrette Blount is the only RB with a 100 yard game, which he’s done once. The team’s best pass catcher is Zach Ertz, and the offense scored 51 points when he was a late scratch against the Broncos. They haven’t missed a beat without the irreplaceable Jason Peters and Darren Sproles.

And then there’s the balls. The big balls. When C*** K**** was hired he was expected to go for it on 4th down and for two points a lot, he was going to be the coach that finally went for it than fans across the NFL have been clamoring for. Here too K****was a dud. Pederson on the other hand had no expectation of being an aggressive coach, and if anything he was expected to be a timid one. Instead, he’s been the most aggressive coach on 4th downs, no team has gone for it on 4th down in the first three quarters than the Eagles under Pederson’s tenure. And in less than two years he’s already gone for two more than K****did in three years, even accounting for the Cowboys game where his hand was forced.

Even in the cosmetic stuff, Doug Pederson is just about everything C*** K**** wasn’t. K****was criticized from just about every corner for getting pummeled in time of possession. In every season, including his year in San Francisco, K****’s teams finished dead last in time of possession. For some that meant nothing, for others it was meaningful. Those who killed Kelly for ceding the clock should be worshiping Pederson: under him the Eagles have been tops in time of possession.

Of the many reasons for C*** K****’s downfall, his personnel moves might be his most infamous. In his one year as GM he was an outright disaster, and his previous offseasons with significant personnel input and increasing control were awful. There’s no worry of that with Pederson, who has limited input in operations. Jim Schwartz appears to have more say in personnel than Pederson: the Eagles have signed five of his former players to just two of Pederson’s, both of whom were backup QBs. C*** K**** wanted the keys and got them, Pederson seems content to not even be told where the keys are kept.

The Eagles wanted the opposite of the C*** K**** era, and they got it. They got it by getting from Doug Pederson what they wanted from C*** K****.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tom Sellout posted:

He broke off one run. If they had run him more maybe he would have broken off another, or maybe he would have been held to under 2.5 a carry like the rest of his runs that day.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

axeil posted:

doug pederson is luke skywalker obviously

You made Wentz Kylo Ren, no take backs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cash Monet posted:

You made Wentz Kylo Ren, no take backs.

Who's Han Solo then?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/934948568951148545

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tom Sellout posted:

I'm going to enjoy the Eagles run defense getting exposed when they face a balanced offense with a real running back like New Orleans or LA.

Nothing about this post seems to be supported by the first 11 games. Philly is rated higher than Minnesota in run defense, and Philly has probably faced the tougher group of runners between the two of them.

I don't expect Philly to hold Gurley to 30 yards like the Vikings did, but that's only because Gurley only getting 30 yards seems like a Rams issue more than anything.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

I'm not trying to be logical, actually. Let me have my vain resentment, it's all that's left

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tom Sellout posted:

I'm not trying to be logical, actually. Let me have my vain resentment, it's all that's left

If its any consolation. Parity will be restored next year and the Eagles will be back to being terrible.

Actually its something that has been on my mind for a while. The reason why the NFCE almost never has a repeat winner is that the last place team usually jumps to the top due to having to play shitter teams in the conference. However when they have to play the top teams the next year they can't compete so end up losing more games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

If its any consolation. Parity will be restored next year and the Eagles will be back to being terrible.

Actually its something that has been on my mind for a while. The reason why the NFCE almost never has a repeat winner is that the last place team usually jumps to the top due to having to play shitter teams in the conference. However when they have to play the top teams the next year they can't compete so end up losing more games.

It's only a 2 game difference though. The Eagles aren't winning the NFC East because they get to play the Panthers and Bears instead of the Falcons and Packers.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

It's only a 2 game difference though. The Eagles aren't winning the NFC East because they get to play the Panthers and Bears instead of the Falcons and Packers.

No this season does seem to be us looking really good. But I maintain my theory for past seasons.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

The "different NFC East champion every year" thing is a recent development and more of an aberration than a rule.

People keep comparing this team to the early Andy Reid years, and the Eagles won 5 NFC East Championships in 6 years (including 4 straight) back then.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

It's super hard to keep together a deep enough roster to win consistently instead of on a weak schedule or with good injury luck. There are a lot of reasons, really, to why the NFC East keeps getting new winners.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Highlight of the game on Sunday:

https://twitter.com/AdrianFedkiw/status/934856693007179776

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It’s kind of amazing just how quick he is for his size and goddamn that awareness.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
That play was one of my favorite Wentz plays of the year.

Dude seriously does something amazing every week. The highlight reel at the end of the year is gonna be prettty.

Another week.

18-1.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/935267056156635137?s=17

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lote posted:

So what you’re saying is Dak Prescott is the second coming of Quincy Carter

I hope not :smith:

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I'll say one thing in defence of Eli.

The guy might be done now but he is a franchise icon for the Giants and has won a couple of Superbowls, this is already a finished season and everyone knows Geno Smith isn't going to be the answer. What harm would it do to let Eli know he's playing his last season for the club and bow out with a bit of dignity. I think it's shoddy treatment of the guy if I'm being honest and a dick move by McAdoo who will go down in history as a franchise disaster.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Has Eli given any indication he's not going to be back next year? The Giants don't really get anything from cutting him--his contract situation in 2018 is basically what Romo's was coming into 2017.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

El Patron posted:

I'll say one thing in defence of Eli.

The guy might be done now but he is a franchise icon for the Giants and has won a couple of Superbowls, this is already a finished season and everyone knows Geno Smith isn't going to be the answer. What harm would it do to let Eli know he's playing his last season for the club and bow out with a bit of dignity. I think it's shoddy treatment of the guy if I'm being honest and a dick move by McAdoo who will go down in history as a franchise disaster.

There's no defense of this. Eli hasn't said a word about the internal team problems and anything else this year. He's always even keeled. This is straight up garbage.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There is no dignity to be salvaged from this season

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

loving hell i like the eagles

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

There's no defense of this. Eli hasn't said a word about the internal team problems and anything else this year. He's always even keeled. This is straight up garbage.

Agreed. There is absolutely zero utility gained in playing Geno Smith. For all the crap Eli's had to put up with they should not be doing this to him.

It's disgusting.

I can't believe I'm mad at the Giants for mistreating a QB that's given us fits for a decade+ but I am. This is how bad Ben McAdoo is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don’t know if I want to live in a world without Manning Face.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
This isn't rocket science, guys. The Giants don't somehow believe Geno Smith will solve their problems. They're out of contention and so they're tanking. They're benching their 36 year-old QB so he won't get hurt playing some meaningless games, while maximizing their chances of losing a few games to get a better draft pick. The only reason they haven't said "We are deliberately tanking" is so they can avoid blowback from the league, NY sports media, and fans for tanking transparently, which is somehow considered worse than tanking but saying that you aren't.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

TheChirurgeon posted:

This isn't rocket science, guys. The Giants don't somehow believe Geno Smith will solve their problems. They're out of contention and so they're tanking. They're benching their 36 year-old QB so he won't get hurt playing some meaningless games, while maximizing their chances of losing a few games to get a better draft pick. The only reason they haven't said "We are deliberately tanking" is so they can avoid blowback from the league, NY sports media, and fans for tanking transparently, which is somehow considered worse than tanking but saying that you aren't.

They were tanking pretty great with him tbh.

I think he's done in NY and he won't be on the roster next year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

El Patron posted:

They were tanking pretty great with him tbh.

I think he's done in NY and he won't be on the roster next year.

Could be, but it would surprise me given how much dead money that would put on their roster with no apparent replacement. It would make much more sense for the Giants to draft a QB and keep Eli one more year, then cut him loose in 2019. The only way I see him off the roster next year is if they can find a trade partner willing to send the Giants a pick for a single year of 37 year-old Eli Manning.

So, maybe the Jags?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I hate Francesa but I hate McAdoo more and this is a fun listen, especially towards the end.

https://omny.fm/shows/mike-francesa/mike-francesa-destroys-ben-mcadoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Eli is being awfully classy about it.

Eli Manning posted:

‪”Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play. My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won't finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can."‬

• Locked thread